Lost in Austen (TV Mini-Series 2008) Poster

Proud sensibilities prejudiced and persuaded!
Moviefile18 September 2008
Three episodes in and I feel now is the time to say a big well done to all concerned. As a long time Austen lover and a fan of period/costume drama I was unsure what to expect from this reworking of a favourite story. As others have commented this bears similarities with 'Life on Mars', a person taken out of modern day life and deposited into the past, albeit Jane Austen's fictitious one. Fortunately Amanda (played by Jemima Rooper) is a devotee of the novel and is genuinely pleased to meet her favourite characters. However, and this where the series really takes a life of its own, the characters are not as she (or we) imagined them from the book, and events start taking different paths than those in the book. Amanda, horrified, tries to restore the story to its proper track but events spiral out of control and she herself is unsure whether she is now part of the story, and if so does she 'become' the character who in the novel was Elizabeth Bennet? A wealth of talent is here and I pick Hugh Bonneville as Mr Bennet and Alex Kingston as his wife for special mention. Who would have thought that they would be as enjoyable as Benjamin Whitrow & Alison Steadman in the 1995 P&P, but they are - and if this was a straightforward P&P remake they would do very well indeed! There are moments of complete hilarity where old and new collide, in music and manners and speech and it is done brilliantly, and, if you know the story, you wonder what liberties with the plot will be taken next. Casting is first rate...none of the characters are quite 'right' but in the context of this story they are brilliant, the obnoxious Darcy, the drunk Bingley and the threatening Mrs Bennet! Locations costumes and period detail are excellent and I look forward to the rest of the series which I recommend to you.

I suppose that we can expect more in a similar vein as there are many stories that could be re-jigged. Holmes with a modern day Watson anyone? I think it is probably more entertaining to see a modern person cope with the privations of life in a bygone age than say to tell Elizabeth Bennet's story in our 21st century. Anyone remember Adam Adamant Lives? I almost find myself hoping that they manage to spin this out for longer and embellish the book even more! Full marks so far - it's very good!
39 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!
billcooper3212 September 2008
Hard to imagine how this could be better. The casting is close to perfect. Mr and Mrs Bennet as played by Hugh Bonneville and Alex Kingston quickly outshine previous inhabitants of these roles. This Mrs Bennet is neurotic but also strong, and Mr Bennet is suitably acidic but also very affable and easy to like. The Bennet sisters are very well presented. Jane has a very gentle quality. Kitty and Lydia and Mary are a pleasure to see on screen. Gemma Arterton is as impressive as we would expect in the role of Lizzie. Best of all is Jemima Rooper as Amanda, a fine young actress who here gets the chance to take centre stage and to properly show us what she can do. The men inhabit their parts well - some very good work from Tom Riley as Wickhan, Eliot Cowan as a smouldering Mr Darcy and Tom Mison as a very winning Mr Bingley. Christina Cole is on great icy form as Mr Bingley's sister. And Mr Collins is truly repulsive as played by Guy Henry, looking like the grim reaper and finding a grotesque comedy in this very oily character. But what is most clever about this new 'spin' on Pride and Prejudice is the way it takes a story we all think we know and then turns it upside down. Guy Andrews writes very funny dialogue for both Amanda as a modern woman and the characters we know from Jane Austen. The comic set pieces are directed with real aplomb by Dan Zeff, but it's also surprisingly moving at times. Costumes and sets all look good. Having seen this I don't know how we'll take another 'straight' Austen adaptation seriously again!
58 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful breath of fresh air!
tiarin_angel7 September 2008
I am utterly captivated by this refreshing take on Austen. I used to love romantic periodical novels when much younger, but they have since fallen out of favour with me, as they are all so alike. Here I am quite unaware, as of yet, what may happen and I absolutely adore the suspense.

The actors are well chosen for their task and I am quickly falling in love with them one by one. I never thought I would see Mr Bingley as adorable, but in this it is quite so. The characterizations over all are very well thought out, especially Mr Bennet (the father). I must also give Alex Kingston some cheer for her portrayal of Mrs Bennet, as it is a far more layered performance than one would first expect.

Our leading lady is also quite the find. She is very human without being the typical foot-in-mouth we usually see in these trapped-in-another-world stories. Not to say that she doesn't make mistakes, but it has yet to become painful or terribly unbelievable in any way.

So to summarize: Watch this series, not because you are an Austen puritan, which may make you regret such action, but because you love periodicals, fantasy and beautiful language. Oh, and romance that takes its sweet time. ^^
50 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Readers' Fantasy Come True
yossarian1003 October 2008
I've enjoyed Jane Austen's writing but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan. However, I loved LOST IN AUSTEN and I found it to be a readers' fantasy come true.

What would happen, what would it be like, if you had a favorite novel, one that you revisited frequently, a novel that you absolutely loved, one that you could get lost in, and suddenly you did? What would it be like to discover yourself in the middle of that story, not as one of the characters, but as yourself? Wouldn't that be totally amazing?

Well, that's exactly what happens in LOST IN AUSTEN and I loved every minute of it, as anyone who loves to read would also. This is as much a celebration of both reading and storytelling as it is about Jane Austen.

A lot of attention to detail, a cast who look and behave exactly as you expect them to look and behave, a story you're already familiar with, but now toss in the reader herself and stir the mix. WOW!

Magic!

I had a wonderful time watching this and I hope you do as well.
34 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is rollicking good fun!
whistlestop3 September 2008
Just seen the first episode of Lost In Austen, and we (husband and I) loved it! I think it helps understanding if you actually know the original "Pride and Prejudice" story and are an Austen fan. Amanda Price gets dropped into the Bennet household by chance and has to feel her way through the social scene, getting strange looks as she reveals more than she should know and uses modern expressions causing raised eyebrows. We laughed out loud at several points, and the expressions on the actors' faces are certainly worth watching.

I did spend a lot of time wondering just how Lizzie was getting on the 21st century, and would love to see some coverage of that - I don't know if this will be included in future episodes! I imagine it would be more confusing for her, as Amanda knows the book and the era while Elizabeth can have no idea of what modern day life is like.

Can't wait for the next instalment, so I give this series a big thumbs up! :)
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life on Mars meets Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead . .
alfa-165 September 2008
. . . in Longbourne.

I may be asked to hand in my Austen Purists card but I liked it. And I think ITV are far better advised to try and cash in on the Austen market with this type of product than with the anaemic reproductions of BBC period drama they treated us to last year.

It's limited but it's funny. One of mainstays is that the characters are all subtly different and we are mostly offstage with scenes from the novel happening elsewhere. Lydia is attractively vivacious rather than promiscuously giddy, Jane is not that pretty, Darcy is not offensively haughty, the stranger from the future is not offensively gauche, and Mrs Bennett who has been very quick to understand the threat the newcomer poses to her daughters AND take action, is set up for very interesting developments - more a fearsome adversary so far than a cringing embarrassment.

Lizzie even looks like Lizzie should, but since she's hardly been in it so far, we'll have to wait and see what Gemma Arterton comes up with when she gets a few lines. It's a big ask, so I'll be interested to see whether she and Jemima Rooper can carry it off.

But you can count me in. Definitely.
38 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of my favourite series of the year!
melly47-11 December 2008
I loved this series. The scene where Amanda sings "down town" was the funniest thing i've seen all year! I have to say that my favourite scene through out the series was the lake scene. When Mr Darcy declared his love for Amanda gave me goosebumps! The chemistry between the two main characters was such a joy to watch every week. I really enjoyed this series, right from episode one till episode four! I strongly recommend this! The storyline, acting from the crew, and the scenery are all equally fantastic. For me its Elliot Cowen vs Matthew Mcfadyen in the role of Darcy. I know that Colin Firth is said to be the best Darcy, but for me... its just not there. Jemima Rooper was great too. I expected to be jealous of Amanda at the end, but I just ended up going "awwwwwwwwwww" and also played it back at least twenty times! Loved it, loved it, loved it!
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delectable concoction!
sandover15 September 2008
...as they would say, wouldn't they? And then, in a Mr. Bennett manner, aside, "I wonder...", but audible enough to be overheard. I know this sounds a bit delirious, I'm just trying to show I was infected by the first episode - by zest! And a racy perplexity! I mean, the premise of undertaking this demands a serious grip on so many levels: how to make Austen's imitation of language not sound ridiculous, the heroine's punchlines not of-the-wall, the collision of the two worlds plausible and funny, mostly; it's my impression that the team succeeds all-in-all. It seems somewhat elliptic or restrained sometimes, but as Jane points out "without Elizabeth the equilibrium of this house is...fragile". For what does our uneasiness mean regarding the other side of the wall? What is Elizabeth doing in the 21st century? Can she really be enjoying herself? I think yes; I don't think we're going to see her for some time (maybe a sequel; good point!); for she is the splendor of the novel, so, once removed, we feel uneasy about our world and what it's doing, well, there, once we step into it!Hence the excitement, the fun and the suspense. "I wonder..." what comes next!
31 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost in a good TV show.
bookman6425 September 2008
I'm not generally a fan of period dramas. I've never read "Pride And Prejudice" and I'm not sure if I've ever seen any adaptations. I was intrigued, however, with the premise of this series. Partly because it seemed similar to one of my favourite books of recent years: "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde (although this also, conversely, almost stopped me watching it).

I'm glad I did watch it. Right from the beginning, I was enthralled and entertained. The cast were superb. The writing was wonderful. Although it gave a modern twist to the story it was obviously done with great affection for the source novel and the use of language was very clever. It was also very funny in places.

Overall, one of the best TV shows I've seen this year. It's even tempted me to read the book and it's really not the style of book I would usually read.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice idea, poorly executed
lallen0826 October 2009
If you are a true Pride and Prejudice lover as Amanda Price claims to be but is obviously not, you will cringe throughout this film. Every lover of the book has the fantasy of entering that world. It could have been great fun to watch if it had been done properly. First, no P&P lover would be as idiotic as Amanda - cursing, drinking, behaving like a common tart. I couldn't believe for one second that the Bennetts would accept her into their home with that behavior. I've only read the book 5 or 6 times but I like to think that even I would know how to behave if I stumbled upon Merryton and its environs. I'd talk funny, but I could manage the rest. Not Amanda. The whole story is full of just the clichéd sort of humor I'd have thought would be absent given the raves here on IMDb - spunky 21st century girl in straitlaced 18th century keeps screwballing things up! Doggone it that's funny! And she's a mouthy, drunken chippy. Darcy wouldn't look at her twice - anyone who knows the book, knows that.
59 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny but could be much better
milagro197530 April 2010
I unexpectedly enjoyed the series. There are many amusing and very curious moments. I appreciated different take on some characters such as Lidya or Mrs Bennet and - most of all - Wickham. And the air of the whole movie is very lively and, khm, refreshing.

Unfortunately, it has two major faults. One is the leading character, Amanda. I totally agree with those who say that for an Austen devotee she has very poor understanding of the period ways. One just can not believe it. OK she can utter something inappropriate when shocked and in dismay but there are limits. Even a 21st century girl stuck in the past can still use her brain and memory and behave, I am sure.

The other weak point is the plot. It is undeveloped and full of contradictions, especially in the end. For instance, Amanda promises Lady Catherine to keep away from her and the society (and Darcy) in return for her promoting annulment of Jane's marriage, and almost directly goes to unite with Darcy. So no freedom for Jane?

Also, many things are done in a very incredible way. I wish the scriptwriter and production people had more attention and respect to the period things. I do not suppose Amanda would lose any charm of hers (which I personally discerned rather little of) if they gave her a Regency coiffure at last: firstly, it would be enjoyable to see a high-street girl turning into Regency beauty, secondly, being an Austen fan and enamoured of all their ways she certainly would have liked that, and thirdly, no one can support that hairdo without an iron and quite a number of special hair products! And her coming to the ball (or anywhere in society) with her hair down is no more possible than going in a nightshirt. She would be shunned, at the very best.

And Amanda's ending with Darcy made me cringe. Anyone to bet on their being happy beyond a week together?

But, after all, it was altogether very funny to watch. I got the feeling of a student camp play or something, very nice, easy and smouldering. And for all the imperfections, it is obvious that the is love for Austen there. Well, I advise to watch, have fun and don't take it seriously.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh no
qflw26 September 2009
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Apart from one or two funny moments, it was irritating to sit through because of Amanda's idiotic, bull-in-a-china-shop behavior. After contending that she knew the book practically by heart, loved and understood the time and its manners. Not! Complaining to the characters that they had the wrong attitudes or had buggered things up, when she was the spanner in the works.

But I had to laugh when she asked Mr. D'Arcy to immerse himself in the pool a la Colin Firth. It wasn't enough to redeem this nonsense, however.

An interesting premise very poorly executed.
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good idea, poor grasp of classic characters
dinaia8 August 2009
I suppose everyone in love with Jane Austen imagined herself as a Jane Austen heroine, in Regency England. From this 'wishful thinking' standpoint "Lost in Austen" is a very appealing idea, as we get to see this modern girl who gets to be some kind of a Jane Austen character. The good art direction, the appropriate costumes and beautiful scenery make for a good immersion in Jane Austen's world but unfortunately this immersion stops here as some characters are complete opposite to what Jane Austen intended and sometimes so unfaithfully altered that I found myself thinking this must be a parody of Jane Austen's world. But if this is a parody and if the message is: people should not live in fictional worlds, in love with fictional characters because this is as shallow and unfulfilling as the characters and story are, then why do we get that ending? So I can say I was dissatisfied with the characters and plot, but still I recommend it to every Austen fan because the idea is beautiful and for some, this might just be enough.
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give it a chance...
Enchantress1930 March 2009
Unfortunately, I started watching Episode 4 before I really knew what the show was about. Not a good idea. I was furious with the way these people had twisted around some of my favorite characters or all time.

Immediately I sat down to watch them all, in order, to see how irritated I could get with the producers...But I didn't. I became completely engrossed.

Everything was happening for a reason...Nobody is really to blame for the mistakes I thought I saw in the fourth episode. I came to feel sympathy for Amanda instead of hate.

How real it all was...if a 21st century girl switches places with Elizabeth Bennett. I realized that I didn't read "Pride and Prejudice" because I am in love with Mr. Darcy, but because I am in love with Elizaebth Bennett and Mr. Darcy together.

It made me think...what would I do if I switched places with Lizzy Bennett?
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Massively enjoyable re-imagining of a classic
LouE1520 September 2008
Oh! what a brilliant idea: modern Austen fan Amanda Price finds herself in a through-the-wardrobe situation, swapping places with Elizabeth Bennet, none other than the heroine of "Pride & Prejudice". Of course, people aren't simple, and things definitely do not go as planned. I'm absolutely loving this show – you can watch it again, for now, on ITV's catch up site - and I'm completely gripped. I can't wait for the next episode and I'm getting the DVD the moment it's out. It's hysterical - who knew that ITV would hit on the perfect solution for the modern girl?! – my being a huge Austen fan doesn't stop me from energetically embracing a new and funny perspective.

ITV's past record on period dramas is decidedly patchy: 2007's excellent "Northanger Abbey" is a rare triumph. There can be a lot of flash and glitter to many of their dramas, that can belie thin scripts and hurried time-slots. But they've hit upon a brilliant solution here: by uniting the back-in-time concept with the much-loved period drama format, they get to skip conventions, get away with the outrageous liberties they're known for, play with time lines and generally have a complete ball. The mostly positive reviews here seem to confirm this. My favourite moment so far: heroine Amanda Price, nursing Jane at Netherfield in Lizzie's place, pulls a blister of paracetamol from her dress at the crucial moment. I nearly fell off the sofa laughing at this and countless other verbal and visual gags.

Yes, really you do need to know "Pride & Prejudice" quite well to make the most of the humour – no problem for most viewers, I suspect. The excellent cast make the most of the freedom their altered characters gives them: love-struck Bingley in free-fall; controlling, prurient, clever, watchful Darcy (striking sparks with Amanda despite being quite mean to her!); sniping Miss Bingley; and, as others have noted, highest praise to Hugh Bonneville's outstanding Mr Bennet, a sort of period drama President Bartlett: everybody wants him for a father. I think it's interesting that Lizzie, who we saw for no more than about a minute in episode 1, managed in even that short time to suggest very interesting possibilities for her alternative story - well played. But Jemima Rooper carries the day with great spirit as Amanda Price, negotiating her way through an alien world, without altering her essential self.

And that script! – silly, funny, sharp, gloriously irreverent, freely referencing every period drama that ever lived – it's a refreshing wonder. Please, will someone give that scriptwriter a lot of money and some editorial support to write new shows? Nicely done, ITV.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most horrendous series that was ever produced
mistakeni-d20 May 2009
As an avid Jane Austen Fan, I and thousands of others have all been touched and in love with, what i believe, to be her finest work EVER written, "Pride and Prejudice." So learning of this series, I thought it would be an interesting twist to the beloved story. Wrong! It wasn't just a twist, it was a complete cannibalistic monstrosity that devoured the whole soul and heart of the book, mincing this classic into a grueling Mess. It first of all had No Plot, unless the plot is to entirely screw up everything Jane Austen wrote, BRAVO then it did! Second, It had only one good line in the whole freaking series and i quote it:

"That's Jane Austen spinning in her grave like a cat in a tumble dryer" Oh yes she is.

Thirdly This will be a spoiler but i will disclose it because i would have liked to know before i wasted my life watching this crap!

1) Jane marries MR.Collins 2) Lydia runs off with Mr.Bingley 3) Charlotte goes to Africa 4) Elizabeth cuts her hair boy short and doesn't want to come back 5) MR.Darcy falls in love with Amanda Price, the selfish slut, and they marry!

A total Failure! All my family and friends have watched it because i told them it looked interesting but they HATE it as much as i do. Don't waste your time.
28 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mustache or toilet?
kozure-okami18 June 2009
My eight-year-old daughter (an Austen fan) and I (another Austen fan) watched the first episode of this...thing. I commented, "This is kind of like drawing a mustache on a great painting." She said, "No--it's like drawing a toilet on a great painting. Sometimes a mustache can look good on someone." I'm as happy as the next fellow with fish-out-of water stories, but this did nothing with a great idea. In order for this to work there needs to be a script and director with profound understanding of, and sympathy for, Pride and Prejudice. But the portrayals of the Austen characters here were very weak, the character of the space traveler was grossly unappealing (as was the actress who played her). There were so many opportunities missed. We just couldn't watch it. I haven't read others' comments, so perhaps we are in a small minority. I rarely comment on IMDb, but felt forced to do so to alert others who might love the book to leave this alone.
23 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprising twists to a classic
ecogirlveghead30 July 2013
I didn't make the mistake of reading reviews before watching this so I went in with no expectations. Before going any further I have to admit to having watched the 90's version of P & P and read the novel dozens of times. A true Austen freak, I am.

Like other reviewers, at first I was offended by the crudeness and lack of tact displayed by the Amanda character when she entered the world of the novel. How dare any true Austen fan behave in a way that displays such ignorance of Lizzie's world? She should have fit right in. But then I realized the choice to NOT make Amanda a perfect Eliza Bennet clone made for a much more dynamic story and more amusing moments between the characters. Instead of giving her the perfect accent, the perfect deportment, and the perfect manners right from the start, it took her some time to fit in. Her clumsy manner and bluntness caused her to make some mistakes that would seem impossible for a true Austen fan but enabled unexpected twists and turns in the story. And its these twists and the what ifs that I loved. I loved that the wrong people fell in love. I love that everything she thought was supposed to happen didn't happen. If I wanted to watch a P & P imitation, I would just watch the real thing again. I found the movie Becoming Jane, which attempted to follow a truer Jane Austen style, to be a sappy and insipid imitation that was truly forgettable and predictable. No one else can do Jane Austen and Lost in Austen doesn't try to. Instead, its fun and impertinent in a way that I think Jane herself would appreciate.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An abomination.
nechievelasco25 July 2012
Abominable. I regret ever having watched this, I only did it out of curiosity. It is so twisted that even the very soul of P&P has been lost.

There was nothing to love about Darcy in this movie -- the movie never showed the goodness in his character and his heart, he just fell in love with Amanda even though he despised her. DUH? He neither helped Lydia nor Jane, and worse, he proposed to Caroline Bingley, who was, in the movie, a lesbian! And I cringe at the cheap imitation of the lake scene.

Elizabeth Bennet was totally out of the movie, except in the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes of the movie. And there are worse things... Jane got married to Collins. Their marriage made a drunkard out of Charles Bingley who eloped with Lydia and almost killed Mr. Bennet. And the good guy is Wickham! The movie had Georgiana confessing that she made up the story about the planned elopement and Wickham was the one helping Amanda all throughout in the movie.I was actually half expecting Amanda to end up with Wickham, or at least wake up from a bad dream. But she ends up with Darcy!

Badly done! Badly done indeed.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blech, Ick, and Horrifying!
lmhf19 January 2010
If there was a negative vote for this I would cast it. I watched with mounting horror the sodomy of one of my most beloved stories. It was horrifying and Jane Austen is no doubt turning in her grave. I am not a purist of the Austen works, but how about at least keep to the fundamental themes of the story. Darcy is a bigot and a cad in this version and I honestly could not stand the character. As for the "heroine" I've rarely disliked a character more. Charlotte running away to Africa?!? Really? That was the best you could do? Bingley running off with Lydia? Mr. Bennett almost dying from a head wound, essentially inflicted by Bingley? Where exactly did these people think they went right. Oh and my favorite bit, Caroline Bingley is a LESBIAN?!!? WTF? The one part I found intriguing was the role of Wickham as a maligned man. Innocent of everything he was accused of, he still acts a cad to save Georgiana's reputation. This was not enough to save this show. I would rather watch three hours of Fox News, at least then I expect to be deceived and morally outraged.
19 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
refreshing and touching
stormygail5010 December 2008
i stumbled onto this mini series quite by accident, but fell in love with it right away. the idea was a great and the acting was awesome. everyone did such a wonderful job acting. their characters were so alive and real--or what you would expect--miss rooper was delightful as Amanda, she carried you right with her from her attraction to her love for D'Arcy. Elliot cowan was memorable as D'Arcy, and had you attracted right from the first. i love the way they went into the characters more such as wickham, i found myself liking this character and had me wondering..was he attracted to Amanda as well, maybe in the path of falling love with her. if you get the chance to see this series, DO IT! you will not be disappointed, i wasn't. even die hard Jane Austen fans will love this series,, it's refreshing and is a different take on the book.

ENJOY !!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun but silly
Malcius12 January 2009
This is a mixed bag. In some respects it is respectful to Austen's book. In others it seems like a parody.

The idea of a modern person being thrown into a historical or fictional context by mistake is a good, if not entirely original premise: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and a short story I once read about someone waking up on board Ahab's ship in pursuit of Moby Dick are two examples I can think of.

The opportunity is there to see characters through an outsider's eyes and to add depth, and in some cases this is interestingly achieved in Lost in Austen, particularly with the story of Wickham and Georgiana, although one wonders whether Elizabeth Bennet might not have discovered (and Jane Austen uncovered) such a history for herself if it existed. Similarly, the glint of steel added to Mrs Bennet makes the character more interesting, but one wonders whether it quite fits in with all her more predominant neuroticism. Whereas Mr Collins (like his brothers) became an even more simplistic caricature.

A previous reviewer suggested that the Amanda Price character might get suspected of Tourette's syndrome. At times it seems like she has a full-blown case, as she keeps on telling herself not to say something, but goes ahead and says it anyway. Also, for such an ardent fan of the book, Amanda seems to display a remarkable ignorance at times of what some characters are like.

It would have been interesting to see something more of Liz Bennet struggling to cope with modern day England, rather than presenting us with the fait accompli.

All these criticisms aside, the series was quite fun, but at times rather cringe-inducing.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!
Qanqor24 April 2010
I just watched the whole thing. I hadn't even realized it was a mini-series, I simply got the DVD from netflix and popped it in. It didn't offer me the option to select episodes, it just played the whole thing as one big movie.

One big, wonderful, delightful movie! I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in years. It was a complete treat. I love Pride & Prejudice; I've read the book, and seen most (maybe all?) of the screen adaptations, some multiple times. And I'm usually a bit of a purist, but I thought this might be fun, so I gave it a try. It well exceeded my expectations. I'm still aglow with enjoyment.

What made the whole thing work was the deep underlying respect for the original source. Indeed, to fully enjoy and appreciate this work, I think you truly do need to be a fan of the original. Know the whole story, all the characters, everything. Be able to appreciate exactly what's *supposed* to be going on and how messed up everything is getting. Only then can you truly empathize with the protagonist's dismay as things run further and further off the tracks. This was clearly made by P&P fans for P&P fans.

It was also excellently crafted in its own right. The plot had me guessing several times, and I was never wholly sure exactly where it would end up. And there were quite a few surprises along the way. And much of the pseudo-Austen dialog was wonderful. And the performances were mostly excellent. Mr. Bennet, in particular, (always a favorite character of mine) was superb. Mr. Darcy was the only worthy Darcy I've ever seen outside of Colin Firth.

Yes, I could pick a few nits. A minor character here or there wasn't quite the way I'd envision them. One or two scenes strain credulity, period or otherwise. In particular (without giving away spoilers), when one (minor) character reveals something shocking to Amanda: why is she telling a complete stranger such a deep, dark secret???? But on the whole, there's so much good that the nits are easy to overlook.

The highest praise I can give it, and I swear this is what I was thinking when the whole thing was over: it was as if Jane Austen herself had somehow lived into modern times, and, armed with both her period and modern sensibilities, had decided to have some fun with her classic old work. The complex plot, the wit, the beloved characters with fresh lines in fresh situations... it was like having fresh, brand new Pride & Prejudice, beyond the original.

It is interesting to note the polarizing effect this work has had. I've never seen a set of IMDb reviews like this: all 9-10 stars or 1, with hardly any grades in between. It seems to be adore-it-or-despise-it. Count my strongly in the adore-it crowd.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Terrible!
eor_199410 November 2011
I found Lost in Austen just terrible. It made a mockery of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, which is one of my favorite books. I truly believe Jane would cry tears of anguish if she watched this. Any true fan of Jane Austen would absolutely HATE this mini series!!! If I had not read the book or watched the movie I probably would have liked it but that is not the case. I apologize if you feel differently but I just had to share my opinion. I had such high hopes for this mini series but was sadly disappointed. I don't want others to make the same mistake I did in watching this. But if you have not read Pride and Prejudice or you did not like it for some reason then you may like this.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Couldn't even finish it.
Lily-3221 April 2010
I admit I did not watch the entire thing. But that's how bad I thought it was. I believe the idea had potential but I was only perhaps 30 minutes in (if that) before I got a sinking feeling of the events to come and I admit the character of Amanda rubbed me wrong. I was fine with her until she crossed the border then she began to grate on my nerves. I'll also admit that due to the aforementioned sinking feelings I skipped ahead to see if it was going to be as bad as I feared.

It was in many ways but it was worse that Amanda and Darcy end up together. It was made even MORE awful (didn't think that was possible) when I read the reviews of others to find what I'd missed and found that Jane ends up with Collins and Lydia ends up with Bingley. Whaaaat?! It's one thing to throw in the modern girl who messes things up but to then have an ending that varies so awfully from the original? If Darcy and Bingley could have ended up with anyone besides Elizabeth and Jane it completely takes away from the epic romance of both couples that has been loved for ages.

I'm shocked this has received as many good reviews and ratings as it has but I think it was a slap in the face to the fans and the characters Jane Austen created.

Shameful.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.