Arcane (TV Series 2021– ) Poster

(2021– )

1,565 Reviews
Visually stunning
nancyldraper22 November 2021
Made by gamers (RIOT) for gamers, but, also, is a stand alone piece of art for people, like me, unfamiliar with the game, LEAGUE OF LEGENDS. The series is visually stunning in 3D and 2D animation with beautiful attention to detail. There is incredible world building, an engaging story line, music that serves as narration and a stellar voice cast. I give this series a 9 (superb) out of 10. {Steampunk Fantasy Adventure}
776 out of 845 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coolest animation style I have seen to date in any TV series or movie! :-)
stevebondi10 November 2021
I am a newbie to the source material, but the first 3 episodes of this show blew me away! And, now having seen the whole first season, my rating remains even more solidly a 10! :-)

Groundbreaking/beautiful animation, awesome environments, spectacular cinematography, cool musical choice, compelling characters, great voice casting/acting, and some interesting Sci-Fi/Fantasy lore! :-)

YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS SHOW!!! :-)
846 out of 936 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Steampunk Adventure
Pairic19 November 2021
Arcane: An animated SF/Fantasy Steampunk series on Netflix. In the cities of Piltover and Zaun there is unrest, Piltover the upper city literally looks down on and oppresses Zaun. We have gangs of thieves, rebels, steampunk Stormtroopers, magic melded with science. This is serious stuff with great physical and "magic" fights. Also a tale of two sisters falling out and Scientist/Mages battling against the conservatism of the Council who fear the unleashing of uncontrollable powers. It's set in the League Of Legends game universe. Directed by Pascal Charrue and Arnaud Delord, written by Christian Linke and Alex Yee. 9/10.
740 out of 829 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOL is a video game right?
garabedian1238 November 2021
I have heard of it but never played it. When i first turned this on and saw kids i immediately turned it off and sighed "not another kids show". But then i kept watching and realized this is not a kids show. It just has kids as characters. But wow it got dark and good.
991 out of 1,113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent, also for non league fans
djurrepower7 November 2021
I watched it with my parents who don't know anything about league's universe. I have been playing league since 2010, So my opinion may be a bit biased.

But my parents were pleasantly surprised. They said that sometimes it was a little clear that this series is more aimed at a young adult audience. Some usage of the pop songs, and the villian being a little over the top mustace twirly.

But overall they enjoyed the first 3 episodes and wouldn't mind watching the rest in their own time.

As for me. I loved it! It was everything I hoped for and then some. Riot's art department was always on their A game. And with the track record from Fortiche I knew this had very little chance to blunder.

Knowing Riot's art department it has an excellent story, well written charaters and a lore rich world to take elements from. All in all, this show comes together very nicely. And shows some of the best talents Riot has to offer.

9/10: Amazing.
715 out of 804 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is ART!
Tactrix7 November 2021
Beautiful storytelling, great underline currents, and the emotion behind this is just amazing. The story is for everyone, but especially for League of Legends fans. The entire time I was watching it I was trying to piece together who is whom. And some of them are obvious but other ones really make you dig deep and see where they're trying to head.

I truly believe this is a fantastic series, I love everything I've seen of it so far. 10/10 a complete knockout.
933 out of 1,047 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow!
jasminn_tan21 November 2021
As someone who had never played the game before, this was a great introduction to its lore. The story was riveting and the pacing was perfect. And the amazing animation and soundtrack just enhanced the entire viewing experience. The VAs did an incredible job as well, particular the VA for Powder/Jinx.
340 out of 384 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time for LOLCU
Movi3DO21 November 2021
Here's to the new us.

League of Legends (LoL)' first project in expanding its own cinematic universe is done. The story between sisters, rich and poor, loyalty and betrayal, peace and war, and everything in between.

There's a common saying that LoL's big budget went into animation instead of balancing the champions in game, and this couldn't be more right. I did not expect this masterful level of animation. After each episode, they found more ways to wow audiences with amazing visuals and transitions. The fighting scenes were hard-hitting and jaw-dropping.

Even though the series wasn't fully canon to the original lore, it's still an intense story that set up an interesting universe. Not gonna lie, the first act didn't impress me too much, but episode 4 afterward got me entirely on board. My only problem with the story was that I just couldn't get enough of it. I wanted more and I don't like waiting.

Just as cool as the animation was the characters. Many character dynamics fascinated me and made me realized how much I needed them. I'll admit that some characters were straightforward, but not all of them were predictable. Some still surprised me until the very end. The directions for all characters were incredible.

Overall, even though the game was a love-hate relationship, Arcane was for sure all love, and a phenomenal step in setting up LOLCU. 8.5/10.
384 out of 449 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impossible to stop
arabnikita27 November 2021
Arcane (2021)

I have never played a single minute of League of Legends in my life but I always knew how influential this online game is. Normally, I wouldn't have paid attention to this series but considering the 9.4 on IMdB, I had to check out at least an episode to see what is so incredible about it. Starting of in a rather casual way, I wasn't too impressed with what I saw in that first episode, but the cliffhanger made me want to see what would happen next. Once I climbed that cliff, I was immersed into a fast paced steampunk world that had a lot to offer and many more cliffhangers to be experienced.

The animation style of this series is best described as taking 6 buckets of paint, throwing them into a 10,000 volt transformer and stepping into the electrical blend of colors to be engulfed in the sheer awesomeness. As you adjust to this dynamic animation, you wilk see a story of an inventor, an underworld crime boss and a girl who wants to find her sister. All of these characters find themselves in the middle of a political intrigue that involves a utopian city and a rotten underbelly with it's social classes striving to achieve their goals by any means necessary. To top it off, there is plenty of emotional stuggle between family, friends and enemies.

While all the technical, sound and visual aspects are second to none, it is the characters that made me want to come back to this series again and again. The show is irresistible to watch and the two reasons for that are the masterfully crafted intro that got me pumped in the beginning of each episode and the nail-biting cliffhangers that made me want to see hiw the story continues. Whether you like videogames or not, this show will grab your interest and won't let up until the final second. At that point, you will be anxiously waiting for season 2 which I hope will come very soon.

Movies.shmovies on Instagram for movie and TV Show reviews.
225 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not A League of Legends Player, This is FANTASTIC
jhuebel7 November 2021
I'm not a League of Legends player. In fact, I know almost nothing about it. But this show is fantastic. To say that the opening scenes of the first episode were "gripping" is an understatement. I don't often start on the edge of my seat with a TV show-- animated or live action.

(UPDATE 1/14/2022: Rewatching the show for the second time and the opening scene still puts me at the edge of my seat, holding my breath. Wow.)

The animation is well above average for a TV series. It's atmospheric in ways that most animated series don't even try. This isn't just another Star Wars-style animated series. It feels distinctly unique.

The characters are also really interesting. Again, I know nothing about League of Legends. But based on the series description, I'm assuming at least a couple of these characters become a league champion? Ultimately, I have no idea what that really means. But I'm interested in finding out.

And that's why I think this series is really successful. I don't know anything about the source material, but after just the opening scenes of the first episode, I'm invested in finding out more.

10/10 easily. I would give it that score just for the first few minutes of the series alone.
269 out of 310 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
awesome..amazing and most definitely worthy
umlaziking24 November 2021
Really great, stunning, amazing and beautiful tv show. Possibly the most unique show to come out in the last decade or so...ppl if you havent started watching this..plz do. This show has really amazing storytelling, the animation is simply superb, the action is always on high levels of adrenaline. I aint gonna lie..i dont watch much tv..but this show sitting at 9.4 was really something...lol had no choice but to give it a go. So thanks ppl of imdb.
226 out of 266 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chef-d'oeuvre.
Ashitaka13727 November 2021
So many positives i don't know where to start! This is unique, gripping probably won't happen again like this! Phenomenal. Art is an anomaly; i don't get how but i know it is reality.
213 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
kevin_robbins22 December 2021
Arcane: League of Legends (2021) is a series my daughter and I recently watched on Netflix (season 1). The storyline follows a futuristic society where the haves and have nots are greatly divided. The underground has a strict code of what and when they do what but when a mission goes wrong by a group of children the underground comes down on them. The older sister blames the younger sister within the children and eventually deserts her leading to the split up of the gang. Years later the the older sister tries to find the younger sister but finds her world flipped upside down and a new leader of the underground has emerged aided by her sister...

This movie is codirected by three directors and the series contains the voices of Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit), Kevin Alejandro (Arrow), Jason Spisak (Piranha 3D), Harry Lloyd (Jane Eyre) and Toks Olagundoye (Castle).

The animation in this is unique, stylish and fantastic. I loved the use of symbols, neon lights and lines for points of emphasis. The voices are very well selected and the universe this takes place in is sheer magic. The sister relation and storyline is compelling and the action scenes are awesome.

Overall this is an entertaining series for children and adults. I'd score this a 9/10 and strongly recommend it.
106 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Animation and Visuals Are Beautiful, From the Cities to the Characters
Master_Strange23 November 2021
What I especially enjoyed was how expressive the characters are. Character development is impressive for every single major character. Many of the characters are morally grey in a realistic way. Most shows are lucky to get a few characters that go through good character development arcs- in Arcane we get to see all the main characters develop and it's never forced or unrealistic. Overall, Arcane is a masterclass in world-building and character writing. This puts most other television shows to shame in the intensity and detail of its story, and will be remembered as a staple in the development and adaptation of modern fantasy for years to come. I'm really looking forward to season 2.
161 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fantastic
kaefab19 November 2021
I never played the game lots of people at my jobs are fan of it.

But this series is amazing, anime, story everything i can't wait to see season 2 and where it goes.
276 out of 335 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyond belief - Netflix Show of the Year
kythia9 November 2021
This is a piece of art, pure and simple. Every frame is a painting ready to fill a museum. The story, the characters, down to the little details. I laughed, I cried, and I wanted to be there for every moment.

Give me more!
169 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A show that should never end
Everymoviegetsa108 February 2022
Acrane gave me hope. I was depressed before watching this show after I watched it helped make me into a better person. This show was abruptly amazing. 10 out of 10. I hope this show never ends. Everything about it was great.

Please watch this show!!
74 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
bbevis-479548 November 2021
I'm a big critic and it's hard for me to find any fault in the first two episodes I watched. Arcane is incredibly engaging and I've never played League of Legends. I would recommend Arcane based off the quality of the jaw dropping animation alone but thankfully everything else fits the bill. I highly recommend Arcane to anyone interested in fantasy.
168 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best steampunk anime
DaegT7 November 2021
I would categorise it as a steampunk anime and I know even if it's not 100% correct, it won't be too wrong. At this moment there have been only 3 episodes available but I'm already overjoyed at the series. The plot, the pictures and the pace are all top-of-the-line. The trailers really didn't lie to me!!!!

Previously I thought it's kinda Cyberpunk 2077 style combining magical elements but I was totally wrong. But who say airships can't be cooler than spaceships??
260 out of 325 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A PEAK FICTION!
marveller-667 November 2021
After the 3rd ep, this is something else. The animation is fantastic, particularly the character emotions. The screenwriting is excellent. This easily became one of my favorite show. It's really engaging and complex, that what i love the most. Also, very well made. On par with live-action, in terms of making. One of the best animated show till date.

° Soundtrack + Animation + Characters + Screenplay & Action sequences are legendary - 10/10

Overall - 9.26/10 #4th fav TV show.
223 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome awesome awesome
karinahatem26 November 2021
Simply the best, everything was great, plot, music, storyline and the action scenes were just wow. Am not a fan of anime, but this was done so well. Can't wait for season 2.
143 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just stop with one star reviews
mandorallen-the-lion12 November 2021
You're a joke if you think anyone's gonna believe your one star review watch the show and give us your honest opinion or leave.

The show is Good let's see how it ends, regardless the quality is there. Good characters, excellent art some of the best I've ever seen, fun setting, good writing. Not saying it's for everybody but the quality is there.
172 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not just for fans of the video game
svederen7 November 2021
Arcane tells the story of two young orphaned sisters, growing up and getting into trouble in the dual city of Zaun and Piltover.

The series is based on the video game League of Legends, and although it drops you right into this fictional world, the necessary time and care is taken to set up places and characters in a commendable show-don't-tell fashion. Solid character development and world building means it's an entirely enjoyable watch without knowing anything about the game.

The animation is outright exquisite. As an anime fan, I found the animation in Arcane to be leagues beyond anything I've ever seen from an animated series before. There is an incredible attention to detail. It's clear that no artistic talent or monetary expense was spared in bringing the world of Runeterra to life.

Great soundtrack, great acting and a compelling story that doesn't pull any punches when it comes to violence and more adult themes.

So far only the first three episodes have been released, and I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us!
276 out of 310 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece and one of the best series this 2021 if not the best...
diegocoda22 November 2021
One of the best voice acting, animation, and histories I have seen in quite some time, I don't like lol but this series maybe be like a kick-off for me to start the game.
100 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.