The Secret of Sinchanee (2021) Poster

You need some time off
nogodnomasters27 October 2021
The backstory takes 20 minutes to develop. The Sinchanee tribe was not wiped out by disease. Pagans who worship Atlantow (spirit of death) want to wipe out all of the Sinchanee and their seed. In 1995 Will Stark (Steven Grayhm) survives the massacre of his mother and sister by a Native American. His father, who was away at the time now suffers from mental illness. Twenty-five years later, Will inherits the home of his estranged father and we know there is an entity in it.

This is a two hour slow burn with the climax being shown as a shadow. Will had zero personality which made it very boring when he is on the screen. The two detectives on the case are divorced with shared custody. They were the only folks worth watching in this Deerfield, Mass. Saga. It felt similar to a Wedingo type of film. Plot needed better construction.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't go back to Deer Field
BandSAboutMovies9 October 2021
An industrial tow truck driver suffering from insomnia returns to his childhood home - hey wait - after the untimely death of his father - no seriously wait! - to discover that a paranormal presence has been living in the house - oh no, you're not listening - and haunting the sacred land it was built on.

If I've told the characters in movies one thing in my life - I talk to movies more than people - it's never going back to your hometown after the death of a relative and try and set things right. There's always something dark, something wrong, something supernatural and nothing ever gets fixed.

Oh yeah - don't go to New England! Have we learned nothing from folk horror films?

Written, directed by and starring Steven Grayhm, this film takes us to Deer Field, Massachusetts and Will Stark, the protagonist who has come home for his father's funeral, a man that suffers from a buffet of mental illnesses all at once: schizophrenia, psychotic episodes and multiple personality disorder. His many stays in mental hospitals at one time kept him from living in his father's home. Now that he finally has it back, it's only a matter of time - literally a few minutes - before the jump scares begin.

There's also a murder investigation going on and if you know your genre films like I know you do, you know that the cops from the big city are going to run into Will before this movie is over.

This isn't a bad movie. But it struggles to say something new in a world where I have seen enough films where someone goes home, goes mad and then deals with ghosts. But hey - making a movie is a major effort and anyone that undertakes that journey deserves our respect and encouragement.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun but overlong supernatural effort
kannibalcorpsegrinder9 October 2021
After his father's death, a man returns to his old house to put the finishing touches on the property when he starts to experience a series of strange events that keep him up late into the night and start affecting his work, eventually discovering the cause to be a Native American curse attached to the land.

Overall, this was a highly enjoyable if slightly flawed genre effort. Among the more impressive aspects to be had here is the intricate and complex web of storylines present here involving the numerous plot points brought up. With the central story involving a tribe of peaceful Indians that were supposedly immune to diseases and somehow turned into a cult of pagan practitioners, an Indian curse featuring a generational abuse on its people for several centuries and finally resorting to possession, mental illness, and involvement in a slew of mysterious accidents spread throughout the town all being investigated by a detective assigned to the small town from a major city. This is an incredibly strong storyline that gives this one the potential to have something intriguing going on and the film works quite nicely because of it which sets up the idea of these things happening in a location like this. That also leads into the films' series of supernatural scares once these various elements have been fully explored. The idea of the house he's living in being haunted by a malevolent spirit dominates the first half, causing some short shock jump-scares that further the idea of something going on involving the family curse that was brought up at the beginning of the film. Other scenes, including the idea of something out in the woods serving as a physical representation of the supernatural entity they're fighting generate some solid sequences here or featuring the possessed individual speaking in demonic tones to himself about the strange curse about to be wrought. With a solid finale offering some supernatural action and a fun resolution to everything, there are some rather likable factors at play here. There isn't much really wrong here, but it's a big issue and is quite detrimental. That is the films' obviously overlong and unnecessary running time that has no business being as long as it is, with the intricate storyline coming into play with several issues here. Not only is it all way too complex and overbearing for something of this nature, but there's also way too much going on here that is never explained or overexplained leading to several other side issues from its length. Since way too much is going on here, the film also desperately needs an editor to trim this down as the film's a good twenty-thirty minutes too long as it is with scenes here coming off as unnecessary and need to be removed or scenes that go on way past their usefulness, including many of the interactions between the detective and her daughter which play into the film's storyline but are just overlong. It's the one issue with the film and holds it back the most.

Rated Unrated/R: Graphic Language and Violence.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fairytail of indian...
ops-525358 October 2021
Folkloristic origin, made to scare the living daylight of the occupants of the new world, taking place in the woods upper north east usa, its cold winter, and even more chillier qanon like costumed and camouflaged monsters that ravages the reflection of the mirrors and makes the world go alice in wonderland for the living and dead inhabitants of this sacred area of the world. So watch your step, you might cut yourself crawling the grounds searching for old indian arrow tips of flintstone, get a cut and your infected and doomed if not the medicine man of the ghost tribe comes around.

Well its horror and mystery, it dwells over topics that has been used since the morning of moviemaking, the filmo quality is good, some lovely takes and angles of photo, but the story and plot becomes at moments like watching an episode of ''twin peaks'' back in the nineties chosen randomly, and the plotspeed and playtime does make a big issue when rewieving. Its 25 minutes too long and couldve told a lot more of the backstory

acting is pure average, no hypes around here, the special effects are basic and the score like million others horrorthrillers. I might feel a bit over the top awarding it 6 stars, it shall be said though that the grumpy old man got some chills down my spine cause things happens quite abrubtly here and there. So if you like folkloristic horror and fairytailmyths then be my guest.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B Movie
gab-6759910 October 2021
The acting was ok and the story was good but when the monster stared using words like thy and thee I rolled my eyes and could not help but laugh. Thy will killith thee human! If your going to have a monster at least make it be scary. This felt more like a mental break down then a possession thing, but then in the end wow back to possession! All around a confusing movie not sure what to do with itself.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the worst...
ravenhair70219 October 2021
Ever get a headache after watching a movie because you had a hard time following it? This is one of those movies. I understand that in Horror movies, dream scenes can be a good source of jump scares. Also, psychotic episodes and visions are good, too. HOWEVER, If a movie has too much of either and you can't tell what's real and what's not...there's when the headaches begin. I like the ex-husband and ex-wife working together part of the story...THAT I can follow. Adds some grounding to the story. The rest I mostly understood, but after the end....headache. One time watch, folks. Peace.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chilling and creepy.
JaneBingley9 October 2021
I really liked this. It reminded me of the VVitch and Wretched. I love horror movies that keep the evil entities in the background, where you just catch a glimpse of something standing in a corner or among the trees.

It went a bit over the top at the end, but it was all relevant to the story.

Excellent direction, beautiful and chilling scenery.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Abandon hope all ye who seek a cogent plot here
jaymakak9 October 2021
The location is nice. The backstory that you will read during the opening credits is interesting. The lighting, scenery, camera work and sound are all right where they need to be. The players are in character and what starts out as creepy, in a good way, flicker of a horror tale's ember, slowly grinds to a meandering and confused object lesson on how not to make a movie who's plot appears to be about awakened, evil indian spirits, who are super miffed over a purloined arrow head.

Don't worry I haven't spoiled anything. It won't make much sense to you either.

The more your own imagination fills in the plot holes the production never bothered to address, the better the chances will be that you may possibly find this movie watchable.

Bonus: Just as the final credits are ready to roll, a non shocking, sophomoric and hackneyed stab at a twist ending lands so flat that any redeeming qualities you may have manufactured out of charity for this wretched time waster, will fade into the same dark crevasse the plot of this film disappeared into, almost two hours ago.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stopped the movie after 40 minutes...
martlarrivee9 October 2021
It was on my watch list. Sadly the acting is very weak and the movie has a cheap "tv pilot" feel... so none of the tensions or scares have any gravitas or weight. After 40 min of not feeling anything, I gave up. Obviously that bad movie poster was a warning.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bit of a mess
martyk-9485524 October 2021
Had me confused at the start, in the middle I thought there might actually be a decent movie in here but then it fizzled out. In all honesty it's not worth watching even to pass the time.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Thriller makes you want more
ilovethemso18 November 2021
The setting is beautiful and the music is fabulous. The story leads you thru the past and into dealing with the present. I can't wait for what comes next.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually beautiful and quietly unsettling
bleachblondetrailertrash9 October 2021
This movie was beautiful to watch. The story was intense and kept me drawn in, especially to the main character's torments. Interesting story line and a fair few jumps scares makes The Secret of Sinchanee worth a watch!
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of a Kind! A Must See!
mskatherineggraham14 October 2021
Wow. I laughed. I SCREAMED! I cried. This movie really had it all! The storytelling was really compelling; intertwining indigenous culture, a police investigation and a paranormal element which really gave me everything! The slow burn approach created so much suspense and was so unnerving at times, I had to watch it through my fingers. As an indigenous woman, our people are not visible and our stories are often ignored by the world. Although the mixed race tribe in the film is fictitious, it drew out a lot of realities for my people who have been seen as pagans and devil worshippers and were taken and murdered for believing in our cultures and traditions. This was specifically seen with women and children, which brings the realities of all our missing and murdered indigenous women, girls and two spirit from the past to present day. This film tackles these very important realities within our community, and I am thankful that it was done in a tasteful yet artistically sensitive way that was really impactful. The beautiful setting of Western Massachusetts in the winter was incredibly cinematic and so haunting. The casting was done really well too, with authentic performances that felt like they were coming from real people. I was also really happy to see black and indigenous representation in this film, as well as interracial marriages and mixed children. This movie really had it all! If you are looking for something different, that is not your standard horror/thriller, that gives you all the thrills and chills but more meaningful than what is on the surface...this film is for you!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edge of Your Seat Creepy!
simmer-6341312 October 2021
Love, love, love this movie! The type of movie that that keeps you guessing what's going to happen next. The further you get into this movie the more intense the story becomes. The main character was so well played too. His quiet and mysterious demeanor lending to the overall creepiness of the movie. The fact that the movie was shot in winter along with the creepy music legit gave me goosebumps. You will love this movie!
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something New and Thrilling
krvmjgj14 October 2021
I really appreciate how this movie flips the "Native American Burial Ground" trope on its head. In this movie it is the care and compassion and history of the local native community that takes down the demonic forces.

The cinematography is breath taking and there is no thin Hollywood veneer. The landscape, the weather, the practical effects are all genuine. The cast and crew deserve an award just for braving the snow alone!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your typical horror film. Get ready to think!
qmrrs5 November 2021
If you like horror films for all the blood and guts, and in-your-face scream moments, this is NOT the film for you. I thoroughly enjoyed The Secret of Sinchanee because it gave me chills while making me watch every moment looking for hints and clues. It's the sort of film that makes you want to watch it multiple times to catch what you missed, however, if I was just able to watch the film this one time, I'd still come away feeling satisfied that I'd seen a thought-provoking film that was extremely well written, directed, and executed!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DON'T WATCH
yuvalhangar6 November 2021
Don't waist time watching it. Bad actor, bad production and bad everything.. it's not scary at all, very very slow. The story is not make sense at all.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Original Paranormal Thriller
NightHawkInTheSky15 October 2021
I thought this film was extremely compelling from start to finish. It almost plays like a character study. This film also gets big points for originality. It's so rare to see a film that feels so authentic and raw, outside the Hollywood system. I would recommend this film to you if you enjoy crime thrillers where you have to tease the riddle, but also enjoy the big scares of a paranormal thriller. Solid movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost it when she was screaming in the car
itsdeluca4 December 2021
As I said in the title, acting is so bad in this movie that, when she started screaming I felt I was wasting my time and started to fast forward it. This being said, I will be looking more accurate into reviews before picking what I am watching.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.