When DI Alex Drake is shot and lands in 1981, she comes face-to-face with DCI Gene Hunt, the relic of old-fashioned policing she read about in Sam Tyler's reports. Alex thinks she is in a coma and needs Hunt's help to go after Layton, the man who shot her in 2008. She is confident she knows the rules of the game, but with no contact from the outside world Alex has to contend with a terrifying possibility.
Did You Know?
The images Alex (Keeley Hawes
) sees when she loses consciousness are:
- The bullet flying in slow motion backwards into the muzzle of Layton (Sean Harris)'s revolver;
- A deep-voiced Clown Angel of Death dressed in a pierrot costume resembling that worn by David Bowie in the music video for Ashes to Ashes and on the corresponding record jacket;
- Herself as young Alex Price, dressed in a red blazer, red beret, and red plaid skirt, carrying a large red balloon by its red string (not unlike Tyler's fleeting image of WPC Annie Cartwright in a red dress);
- A low-angle view up toward her father, Tim Price, wearing eyeglasses and looking stoic;
- A low-angle view up toward her mother, Caroline Price (Amelia Bullmore), placing a bag into the back of a blue Ford Escort and closing the hatchback;
- A close-up view down toward the large hand of a man and his dark sleeve, gently reaching for her own small, childhood hand which releases the red balloon string; they are standing on grass;
- A sped-up view up toward the red balloon ascending in the sky;
- The Clown calling toward her;
- A view out through an automobile of her assailant, Arthur Layton (Sean Harris), walking along the road as a young man and turning to look at her;
- The Clown calling to her and appearing in the reflection of Layton (Sean Harris)'s mirrored sunglasses as he aims his revolver at her a moment earlier; and
- The bullet leaving Layton (Sean Harris)'s muzzle, its tip faintly reflecting the Clown's face as the Clown shouts, "Alex!"
In one of the wide shots in the storeroom, on a shelf to the left of shot we see a Commodore 1530 Datassette deck, this is of the later Commodore 64c era design dating it to around 1986/87. See more
DCI Gene Hunt
Blimey, if that skirt was hitched any higher I could see what you had for breakfast.
Same Old Scene
Written by Bryan Ferry
Performed by Roxy Music See more