Spirit Untamed (2021) Poster

the Spirit franchise continues
ferguson-61 June 2021
Greetings again from the darkness. Any kids that watched Dreamworks' original SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON (2002) are now at least in their mid-20s and many likely have kids of their own. That original film featured old school animation, and provides a nice comparison for today's computerized "drawing". However, from a story and character perspective this is less a sequel to that film, and more a spinoff of the original Netflix series, of which there have been more than 50 episodes.

Lucky Prescott (voiced by Isabela Merced, Dora in DORA AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD, 2019) is a rambunctious youngster being attended to by her Aunt Cora (Oscar winner Julianne Moore) at the home of Lucky's wealthy and now candidate-for-Governor grandfather. With no time for her shenanigans, grandpa ships off Lucky and Cora to be reunited with Lucky's father, Jim Prescott (Jake Gyllenhaal). The two haven't seen each other since Lucky's mother died tragically ten years ago. On the train ride to Miradero, Lucky has a connection with a beautiful wild stallion she names Spirit. The two share a bond of wildness and independence, though soon enough Spirit is being held captive by mean-spirited horse wranglers.

Lucky and her father have an awkward reunion as he tries to keep her safe, unwilling to admit the free-spirited nature she shares with her mother, who once rode with the Los Caballeros, a local trick-riding team. Her mother's clothes, boots, and posters open Lucky's eyes to a world that feels like home. She befriends not just Spirit, but also a couple of local girls, Pru (Marsai Martin) and Abigail (Mckenna Grace), who are drawn to Lucky's energy, but also recognize the danger she's in going up against the evil wrangler (Walton Goggins).

What follows is an adventure with terrific visuals and enough action to keep the three and five year olds that I watched the film with glued to the screen. Heck Mountain and the Ridge of Regret seemed to be especially exciting for them, and I personally got a kick out of the importance of math (a word problem) in keeping Lucky on track. The film clocks in under 90 minutes, which is just right for most kids. The songs (Taylor Swift sings the trailer song) didn't seem to make much impression, but the kid characters did. From a grown-up perspective, it's hard to miss the fact that the adult males aren't the best role models, and even Abigail's young brother Snips (Lucian Perez) spends most of his time wreaking mischievous trouble. However, the lack of other political messages was a relief, and female empowerment in youngsters is always a welcome story line.

The film is co-directed by Elaine Bogan and Ennio Torreson. Writing credits go to John Fusco (the original Spirit film), Aury Wallington (the TV series) and Kristin Hahn and Katherine Nolfi. The all-star voice cast is a nice complement to the visuals (especially the mountains and clouds), and the message about independence and finding one's own way in life. It should also be noted that the film is rated PG, not G.

Opens in theaters on Friday June 4, 2021.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really nice movie, cute storyline
alyssahconley6 June 2021
We are big fans of the TV show and really liked everything about this movie. It was suspenseful and funny. We loved this version and would recommend it to anyone.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you enjoy the series, you'll like it!
beccajaxon5 June 2021
My 11 y/o daughter is a horse fanatic, has watched all of the series and just got back from seeing the film with her best friend. Both girls really enjoyed it. Sure, most (if not all) movie plots are easily determined as you watch them, but that's what feel good movies are about. Perseverance, friendship, doing the right thing, being a good human. I thoroughly enjoyed the score, and am an avid music lover. I didn't feel like it was a waste of time, like some kids movies usually are (that have mediocre plots), so I'd say any little girl ages 5/6 - 10/11 will love it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not near as good as original
colewaters3 June 2021
This movie was not near as good as the original. It dragged the whole time. No parents or kids laughed at all. Don't waste your time. I grew up with the original film so I was hyped for this and this was one of the worst movies I have seen in years. Don't waste your time and money with this flop. This is probably the biggest disappointment I have seen in a long time. I did not hear anyone laughing or crying why because it stunk that's why. I bet by the end of this year this film will be forgotten.

I really wanted to like it but it was not possible. Jake Gyellenhaal was probably the only part of this film that was fine, but this is a film for kids and when the kids are running around the theater instead of watching the actual movie there is something wrong. The film does not keep its target audience entertained enough.

Also the supporting characters were super dull and boring and half way irritating. Here is the thing about this movie it also had nothing to even do with Spirit they just used his name for an off brand piece of s**t

Final score 0/10.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sure to Capture New Audiences, Especially Horse Lovers
rannynm4 June 2021
Adventure awaits in Spirit Untamed, the next chapter in the beloved animated Spirit franchise which is sure to capture a new audience of followers. Spirit Untamed is the story of connection between a girl named Lucky (Isabela Merced) and a wild mustang stallion she names Spirit. Lucky is a spirited girl and has difficulty fitting into the traditional life that her family plans for her. Her Aunt Cora (Julianne Moore) takes her away from social pressure for the summer to the frontier town of Miradero to live with her estranged father Jim Prescott (Jake Gyllenhaal). On the train to Miradero she encounters Spirit and his wild herd. The story evolves as both Lucky and Spirit adapt to new circumstances and learn to embrace change as well as rely on the friendship and support of others.

Lucky is fortunate to find two steadfast friends in Abigail Stone (Mckenna Grace) and Pru Granger (Marsai Martin) who emulate the connection between a girl and her horse that Lucky desires with Spirit. Both girls teach her about equestrian and human connections. I love the fun-loving and spunky character, Abigail, who brings so much humor to the movie which is offset by the sarcasm of Pru. Together these three girls are unstoppable in their efforts to rescue Spirit and his herd from a group of wranglers that threaten their freedom.

Spirit Untamed is from Dreamworks Animation so you know the characters and scenery are going to be depicted flawlessly. I love how this film keeps the feel from the original movie but adds another layer of lush detail under the guidance of Director Elaine Bogan who has a personal connection with horses. My favorite scene is what I call "the tango" between Lucky and Spirit when she is trying to coax him to accept her. The pull of their relationship shows and is enhanced perfectly by the light and playful music composed by Amie Doherty. I really like how the movie incorporates the actors singing with their roles-I love to hear Isabela Merced's beautiful voice and even Jake Gyllenhall trying to sing badly.

The one segment that bothers me is when Lucky first mounts Spirit. The riding is unbelievable for a girl who is just learning and is more akin to a trained circus or stunt rider. Horses are powerful animals, and I hope young viewers will understand that they need guidance around horses and to respect them. I did love the personality that was given to all the horses in Spirit Untamed-each horse had its own lovable character and expressions. Everyone will, of course, love the cuteness overload of the brave baby foal.

What really stands out to me among this film's many underyling messages is the theme of letting go and how hard that can be. I don't want to elaborate further, as it would be a spoiler, but there is one great "letting go" scene with Lucky doing the right thing. Friendship and loyalty are also important themes in Spirit Untamed, as Lucky searches for a place where she belongs.

I rate Spirit Untamed 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 4 to 12. This movie will be in theaters June 4, 2021, so don't miss this heartwarming story and adventure! By Selene W., KIDS FIRST!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
lorickignacio4 June 2021
I heard this movie is one of the greatest DreamWorks movies I ever heard. It's reminds me of Spirit The Stallion of the Cimmaron.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At least the humor was so bad that you couldn't help but laugh!
jacobmhelberg8 June 2021
I enjoyed the first Spirit movie. This, however, was not a spirit movie. It's not even the same horse. They tried to copy a lot of the original Spirit's plot, but gave the characters zero arc. The villains have no arc like the general did in the last movie. I would avoid.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent movie, but the doesn't do the show justice
bfurst276 June 2021
Solid attempt, and I don't regret going to see it, but it lacked any real character development or weight. And the Netflix show it is based on does a much better job with the content.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
uzaibahandubayd6 June 2021
Good movie in events for kids and it a family movie.
Fun Little Movie
stevendbeard6 June 2021
I saw "Spirit Untamed", starring the voices of Isabela Merced-Dora and the Lost City of Gold, Transformers:The Last Knight; Julianne Moore-Kingsman:The Golden Circle, the Hunger Games movies; Marsai Martin-Black_ish_tv, Little; Walton Goggins-The Unicorn_tv, Ant_Man and the Wasp and Jake Gyllenhaal-Spider_Man:Far From Home, Brokeback Mountain.

This is a DreamWorks sequel to the 2017 Netflix series and the 2002 'Spirit:Stallion of the Cimarron' movie. Isabela plays a young girl that lost her mother-an experienced equestrian-and lives with her aunt Julianne because her father Jake was too upset to take care of her. Jake is living in a small country town-looks like the old west-when Isabela and Julianne decide to come visit him. Marsai is one of the locals that befriends Isabela. When Walton and his gang shows up looking to capture some wild horses, Isabela takes a liking to the lead horse, Spirit, and decides to do everything possible to keep them free. It's a fun little movie and I think most kids should enjoy it.

It's rated "PG" for adventure action and has a running time of 1 hour & 27 minutes.

It's one for the kids and I can see me buying it on DVD for the little ones.
Does Not Hold The Spirit Of The Original, But Still Holds The Cuteness
rgkarim4 June 2021
LIKES:

Animation is Good It's Cute Has Some Character and Animal Love Family Friendly Moves Fast Okay Voice Acting Perfect For Target Audience

DISLIKES: Predictable Design is mixed Shallow Character Development Little Adult Factor Little Suspense Moves Too Quick Lacks The "Spirit" of the Original

The VERDICT

Spirit Untamed is a cute movie that holds some good animation that is simple, fun, and something that families will love to see in theaters. A family friendly adventure with a lot of happiness and adventure will light up the target audience of youths, especially girls who love horses, allowing parents to also have a small escape of fun in seeing them happy. And don't worry, there are little "stressful" moments to throw any curve balls. While simple wholesome fun, the movie does suffer from perhaps being too simple, a tale that is rather boring and predictable and lacking depth to what could have been a more wholesome story. Disney, Illumination, even DreamWorks earlier works, had more balance to the film and allowed all audiences to enjoy the spectacle, where this one is geared, including in design, to the young audience. Though it lacks the soul of the original works, it is still fun if you are looking for a G rated family outing, but this reviewer says you can watch it at home and get the same experience at a fraction of the cost.

Scores

Animation/Adventure/Family: 7.0-7.5 Movie overall: 6.0
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun ride for the whole family
DarkVulcan2914 June 2021
If you love movies about horses, then Spirit Untamed is that movie for you. I did not the original Spirit(2002), but I enjoyed seeing this fun animated film with my nephew.

A fun adventure about some girls who go on a journey to save some stolen horses from wranglers, but will they before it's too late?

This is a fun film for parents to take there kids to see, it's fun for kids and adults. The animation is a beauty in itself, perfectly well voiced by actors Jake Gyllenhaal and Julianne Moore to name a few. Also the horse character Spirit is also good here.
Unnecessary and strange
stepwoods8614 June 2021
The new animation is jarring, the retelling of lucky's story was unnecessary, and the plot was 2 episodes of the show. Save your money as this movie does NOTHING to further to storyline.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a sequel, totally different
jfenn5305813 June 2021
The first 20 or so minutes had the 6 year old with me looking around at anything but the movie, but once Spirit made his appearance and from that point on, all eyes were on the screen. It has everything a kid likes; horses, trains, ship, good guys, bad guys, drama and some humor.

It doesn't stray far from the basic formula so common in the digital animation movies nowadays of girl power, cute animals, weak, evil, or inept men, racial diversity, and everything works out in the end (ie; Spirit, Moana, Frozen, Tangled, Mulan, Lilo, Pocahontas, etc) - but after the first 20 minutes or so the action is non-stop and totally held the attention of kids and parents alike.

In other words, nothing new here folks. But it is entertaining and the action soon starts - adults just don't expect this to be a sequel to the original, your child won't care and will love the movie.
Lucky's Journey with Spirit Jr Leading
jbflower966 June 2021
Having been a kid when Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, I was curious about them bringing back an iconic character when I heard a movie was in the works. I had also watched the Netflix series Spirit: Riding Free so once the first trailer was released, I realized it wasn't gonna be an exact sequel to the earlier film.

While the horse in the series and this movie is called Spirit, it's obvious from his forehead marking he's a different horse and theorized to be his son or descendent. So it's more of a continuation of Spirit's family than his personal story.

In regards to this movie, it's based off the Netflix series but isn't a direct continuation or origin for the characters. This movie features Lucky arriving to Meridaro and befriending the wild stallion Spirit (Spirit Jr. If that distinction makes it easier). She makes friends with Prue and Abby like in the Netflix series, and the trio go after some outlaws after they steal SJ's herd.

On it's own, it's a pretty entertaining movie that lets the viewer get a taste of the frontier town and the wacky characters that live there. As someone who watched and mostly liked the Netflix series, I found Lucky to be a much better character in this movie over the series. She still has a free spirit and klutzy attitude, but with a little more vulnerability that rounds her out.

Prue and Abby aren't as fleshed out as their Netflix counterparts, but when the trio do embark on their journey their chemistry really shows. There's also a good message about family that ties everything in a neat bow.

The villain is pretty obvious, but highly serviceable for this movie. Not too over the top but has a good design.

For those looking for a movie to kill some time, it's pretty good with some nice animation. Fans of the show will probably enjoy it, but prepare for a lot of differences.

Spoilers: Unlike the show, the movie's reason for Lucky arriving to Meridaro is due to an incident at her grandfather's house where she has stayed since a baby. Show fans know her mother used to ride horses for performances after escaping from thugs, but not much else is known. The movie starts with a riding accident that caused her father to send Lucky away as a babe cause he could not handle his grief and raise her. This has led to the pair to become estranged from one another, not helped when her dad bans her from going near SJ for fear she will get hurt like her mother.

This is in stark contrast in the show where Father and Daughter were close knit and ready to tackle the frontier together. This may disappoint some people, but the trope is done well enough.

Aunt Corra remains supportive and her usual high born self. She's toned down a bit from the over preppy class lady, but still a good character.

Pru and Abby are still true to their Netflix roots, if a bit abridged. Snips also makes an appearance along with Sr. Carrots, though unrecognizable without his bright red curls.

As someone who was entertained with the show but not blown away by it, the movie is still fun to watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you grew up watch the first, then had kids on the show, watch this!!
monica_kathya6 June 2021
Fell in love with the first movie! Then yearsss later had a daughter who grew up with the Netflix series and then this came out! :)

Husband laughed, I laughed our daughter laughed it was just perfect! It's a must watch! Even if you haven't seen the first movie or tv show it's still super good!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Storyline not quite interesting
ilovefoodcoma4 June 2021
The storyline is just okay, not quite interesting. The message behind the movie is good, be brave & don't give up hope.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.