Wrath of Man (2021) Poster

(2021)

No frustration
morfindele31 May 2021
I am surprised of some reviews that are saying about frustration from this movie. What did you expect from the Ritchie's film with Statham in 2021? Sophisticated drama with Oscar winning plot?

In fact I got from "Wrath of Man" exactly what I expected - charismatic and not very complicated action movie of a good quality. The only surprising moment for me is a gloomy atmosphere of the whole story. But Jason 100% fits this dark drama.
165 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gritty old-school crime thriller with a killer Statham performance
eddie_baggins29 April 2021
Sticking to the lower budget roots that got him a start in a big way thanks to Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, Guy Ritchie has followed up his minor but well-received The Gentleman with Wrath of Man, a crime thriller that sees the divisive but entertaining director get his favorite lad Jason Statham back on leading man duties.

The last time these two long term friends teamed up was for the near forgotten about Revolver, a film that is actually a lot better than you may remember it being, and Wrath of Man is far more straight forward than that affair, with Ritchie remaking European film Cash Truck to deliver a hard-boiled and gritty 90's like action/thriller that gives Statham some of his best material in years.

It may surprise many that this reforming of Ritchie and Statham see's the usually flamboyant director dial things back a notch or two with his hyperkinetic visuals and edits few and far between here and his cockney tinged humor reigned right in as we instead get a mostly humorous free affair following Statham's mysterious H in a new job for a cash truck company that has recently been hit by a deadly heist and seems destined to be targeted once more by a group of elite robbers looking to make a quick buck.

With some bleak but atmospheric cinematography from Alan Stewart, some moody and effective scoring from composer Christopher Benstead and some grizzled performances from co-stars Holt McCallany, Jeffrey Donovan, Scott Eastwood and for what feels like the first appearance in eons from Josh Hartnett, Wrath of Man is a solid all round package that benefits from Ritchie's experience hands as he delivers a non-linear examination of what lead H down this new employment path and who exactly is behind a string of well-oiled robberies taking place across Los Angeles.

There's certainly nothing new or unique about Wrath of Man's central plot or the moments that litter its runtime, in many ways this the definition of a vengeance/crime thriller rulebook in action but there's a sheen and professionalism on display throughout the film and with Statham having an absolute blast (figuratively and at times literally) being back with one of his longest serving collaborators and with some genuinely great set-pieces that ramp up to a pulse-pounding finale, Wrath of Man may not be top-shelf Ritchie, but its top-class crime thriller fare that will please all genre diehards.

Final Say -

Refrained Ritchie with just enough pizazz and flair to make you remember whose behind the camera, Wrath of Man is a throwback crime thriller with a killer lead character and some great set-ups, making this a consistently fun and impressively filmed watch without ever doing anything of a true noteworthy nature.

3 1/2 burritos out of 5.
246 out of 325 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ah Jase, you old dog you
elodiehuynh29 April 2021
Always the cool tough guy that noone can beat.

Full of suspense, gripping the entire time, intense, two stories in parallel that come together, somewhat predictable betrayals and twist, felt a bit dark at times, satisfying ending, not a huge amount of action but a solid storyline that keeps you on edge.

Watch it on the big screen with a good sound system for greater intensity.
184 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth the time!
mitch_white-7763230 April 2021
Good movie. Some reviews say the story is predictable but I disagree.
229 out of 340 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun action movie without the politics
crmorgan612 May 2021
Glad to see a movie that isn't constantly rubbing some sort of political garbage in your face every two minutes! This movie proves you can successfully have a diverse cast that doesn't seem forced. The dialogue is a little contrived at times, which took me out of it, but for a couple hours of shoot em up fun with a semi-clever story (and Statham is pretty bad ass) it's worth the price of admission.
229 out of 360 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cast. Understand that JS character is not a hero.
ztigr19 July 2021
A lot is giving away in the trailers for this movie that spoil surprises. I am a big Jeffrey Donovan fan and this is the best performance I've seen Scott Eastwood have. Josh Hartnett is underutilized unfortunately. The back and forth timeline helps improve kind of an ordinary thriller. Please remember when watching this story that Jason Statham's character is not a hero. He's not even an antihero. He is just as bad or worse than the "bad guys". I have seen people online ask questions such as "why didn't he...." And the answer is simple, he is not a good guy so he was not motivated to help others. The title says it al...
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well made, but actually kinda boring
aaronclawrence30 April 2021
This is not your traditional Guy Ritchie movie with slick fast paced action, clever humour and lots of twists. Which I have loved in the past. It is basically a combination of heist movie and revenge thriller. But it's played very straight, without a lot of effort to build characters, and doesn't ever seem to build much momentum. So a few times during the movie I found myself looking at my watch, wondering if it was really going anywhere.

The action is fairly tight but mainly gunplay, not much physical action as Statham is famous for.

There are no heroes either, Stathams character seems to be a pretty nasty piece of work himself.

All in all, it's an average thriller with nothing in particular to recommend it.
251 out of 410 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dialogue was pretty bad
kester-829811 June 2021
After I watched this, I had to check to see who the writers were. The dialogue was so bad...a sort of stylized tough guy terseness combined with some imaginary locker room coarseness, and all of it poorly rendered. No cleverness to the screenplay at all. Good shoot 'em up scenes.
171 out of 278 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its ok
shelley-lister29 April 2021
If you're expecting a beautifully woven complex story with hidden twists you don't see coming, like the really good Guy Ritchie movies, you will be disappointed.

As far as a shot 'em up revenge movie, it's ok.

Didn't feel like Jason Statham got to shine as the amazing action man you know he is.

It didn't suck but it certainly wasn't The Gentleman.
229 out of 378 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ritchie and Statham! They are back!
Robi194627 April 2021
It's always worth every penny whenever this duo come up with something! The plot is not so strong, yet good enough to keep you in it and entertain for 2 hours!

Guy Ritchie never frustrates, NEITHER does Statham.

In fact, Statham was more than perfect for this role! Others were up to the mark!

Synopsis: Mysterious and wild-eyed, a new security guard for a cash truck surprises his co-workers when he unleashes precision skills during a heist. The crew is left wondering who he is and where he came from. Soon, the marksman's ultimate motive becomes clear as he takes dramatic and irrevocable steps to settle a score.
197 out of 328 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good action, excellent plot
imranahmed-0141621 May 2021
The movie kick off with an interesting theme and 15mins down the action starts taking place. As much as idiots here are saying the movie was predictable, well they should ask themselves what we're they expecting, captain America using thor's hammer or iron man coming back to life?

This is Jason Statham at his best and he surely did an excellent job. I'm happy they didn't make this hand to hand combat style and stuck with conventional theme. Simplistic and enjoyable.
78 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Payback and Testosterone Still Exist in 2021
a_skalicky10 May 2021
In the new PC world of 2021 and beyond, testosterone and masculinity still made it to the big screen another time.

Jump in for an entertaining ride with the base of money truck heists, but this is really a revenge story. As usual Statham takes no prisoners and goes through everyone to get his man.

Not epic and the money truck storyline leaves something to be desired. But this will provide you with the the action and emotion you need for the evening. And maybe a few days after.
88 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it
lovric-tanja3 May 2021
Really good movie. I loved it. Statham accting was on top, the anxious feeling sticks with you for the next three days. The music is awesome. Really entertaining.
88 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pathetic remake of Cash Truck 2004
cezarfetu1 June 2021
First Ritchie movie that I don't like. Le Convoyeur (Cash Truck) 2004 (french movie starring François Berléand, Statham's partner in Transporter series) was not great but probably deserved the 6.5 stars. This copycat is close to awful. Gave it 3 stars for the effort of the secondary leads that were credible enough.

Statham's acting is over the top, probably the Fun and not so furious franchise took it's toll.

Soundtrack is repetitive and annoying, camera pans are less than decent, CGI is comparable to 1995-2000 shooter games. Probably Ritchie discovered Max Payne after 30 years, he even used the famous "bullet time." Flashbacks are overabondant and at least half are not necessary in order to follow the "plot"., thanks to them I understood several times in a row what is actually happening, why, and why not. Thanks, my IQ is way below 70 and I really needed it!

Timing sequence is not cohesive, cuts were put together in a rush, leaving even more cringier discordances than the famous 6 underground. Examples: 7 people allegedly riding 2 quads, a very oxidated silver prius that looks black, armoured truck parked in one place, retrieved a few meters further.

Huge dissappointment, a failed commercial movie that tries unsuccessfully to add depth to the main character. If looking for a cheap (with big budget) see and forget "movie", bother. If not, don't, watch the original, is fresher, even if 17 years older.
76 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Gritty Worthwhile Crime Flick From Guy Ritchie
neener37079 May 2021
I love Guy Ritchie films, I saw this on a whim and didn't know it was him until the opening credits. So when I saw that I knew I was in for a white knuckle action fueled ride that I would love. And while its obviously not his best, by a long shot actually, I liked it, I enjoyed it, and I recommended it to friends and family. But a masterpiece it was not.

Good thing I didn't watch the trailer because going in blind, not knowing the story that was (for the most part) spoiled in the trailer, I enjoyed the semi-done before revenge plot. But the grit, the tension, and the action is what made it all for me. Jason Statham often become his own cliché in his own movies but not this one. The whole film was dirty, it felt gritty, and I love films that don't just show nice cinematography and sets, but instead have a consistent tone that makes you feel like you're in it. And of course the action is good, we already mentioned who this is coming from, the final "heist" of sorts was very entertaining and the action was intense and well filmed.

I did find the editing weird in a couple of spots, just a couple of moments and one entire segment I felt did not really flow with the rest of the film and kind of take you out of it, It would take up some time to say which scenes but you'll know them when you see them. Oddly cut, either to quick or just in an odd fashion, and an entire segment of the film that serves as backstory for me personally, was placed it a bad spot I also loved the score, it was very simplistic yet unnerving and effective. Only added good to the gritty imagery and tone we were looking at.

All in all its a solid action thriller that is no masterpiece but still worth a watch if you like the genre.
76 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It does nothing right
edwardswes29 April 2021
I love Guy Richies movies... but this is very horrible. Average acting and boring story. You care very little for any character. I havnt been this disappointed since Tenet. I was so excited to see Josh Hartnet back but his character is one of the worst.
145 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic Jason and Richie
laceup-9684921 May 2021
Good old action that you are used to from those two legends, fun movie must watch amazing action scenes.
80 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as Stathamish as I would've liked it.
Top_Dawg_Critic10 May 2021
Not one of Guy Ritchie's best films either, and the timelines created more convolution than intrigue. But if you're a Statham fan, and love action, revenge, bloodshed and carnage - like me, then you need to watch this. It's an 8/10 from me.
61 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lives up to be a Guy Ritchie Movie, and goes beyond?
ashishkel29 May 2021
Nicely paced and orchestrated, organized and well told story packed with action sequences and twists.

I didn't see anything or anyone who didn't belong.

Flashbacks are nicely placed to tell the story in a way you will understand.

Towards the end, I felt we could have had some typical Statham moves to add some more thrill. But it was a nice watch.
40 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kick ass action flick
devinderbonding26 May 2021
Guy Ritchie diverts a bit from his usual directorial style but delivers a kick ass thoroughly enjoyable action film nevertheless. Statham exceeds expectations. Enjoyed every bit of it.
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic American hero action movie
f-rarko30 September 2021
Almost 100% predictable, great acting but story a bit outdated in my opinion.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flippin embarassing...
gaspod-3352827 September 2021
Whatever Guy Ritchie had in his bag in terms of talent and directing genius, it's not been used for that hogwash... Will not bother wasting time to describe the flaws of this nimrod of a movie. I will say it like that: it might as well be a Steven Seagal film. It should have been crucified by the critics.

I pity every gullible soul who praises it and it's creators.

My brain needs a shower.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome! Ritchie and Statham together are unstoppable
elyse-mc2 May 2021
Loved every second of this movie. Guy Ritchie is one hell of a director and Jason Statham is an amazing actor. I also especially loved Scott Eastwood in this one - great acting!
60 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GR's Tenet
degenerik-5478728 May 2021
Seems that everybody has lost his mojo nowadays. This movie is plain bad and shallow, and i mean really bad. There's not one good thing about it : no character development, unrealistic setup, unrealistic dialogues, everything feels cheap or forced, you name it... A special thumbs down for the CGI though. Unbelievably amateurish looking blood, smoke, etc. I sometimes had to rewind because i could'nt believe what i just saw.

Stay away or watch it as background noise but don't expect a Guy Ritchie experience here.
107 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad acting + Bad dialog = This movie
bmikepayson15 May 2021
The dialogue was very unnatural, and the delivery was terribly forced. Nobody in real life talks like these guys do. I wanted to like some of the characters, but he gave me no real reason to. The action was pretty good, but the horrendous lines and terrible acting was super distracting. Do yourself a favor and watch something else.
42 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.