Demon Slayer the Movie: Mugen Train (2020) Poster

Might just be my new favorite film of the year.
mrashtastic8916 July 2021
Rengoku is awesome in this film, and you understand why everyone looks up to him.

I just have to state the most obvious thing though, this animation is truly breathtaking, if you love the show you're going to love this movie.

To be honest I just had a great time watching it, me and my friends all loved it, not to mention the fight scenes are impeccable.

Definitely an A+
37 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible
jasminn_tan15 October 2021
I read the manga so I knew what would happen but seeing it animated just brought another level of heartbreak to me. With the amazing animation and background music, I was engrossed in this movie. Also, the final fight scene between Rengoku and the Upper Rank Three demon was probably one of the best fight scenes I've watched so far. Granted, I haven't watched many fight scenes. Still, it was such a pleasure to watch.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've read the manga. I expected the best. It will definitely deliver.
TheGreatGreenBadger18 October 2020
Ufotable is honestly on a roll with the hit Demon Slayer series. It's simply bloody fantastic but also has a lot of heart, as a lot of people will see in this movie, which introduces one of the other Hashiras of the Demon Slayer Corps.
142 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Piece of art
rayanejelidi18 October 2020
If you liked the animation of the season 1 of demon slayer you will simply adore this film this is a true masterpiece with a captivating story and music that will make you cry , a must watch for any fan of the show .
258 out of 306 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breathtaking
Movi3DO3 May 2021
Set Your Heart Ablaze..... Rengoku-san

Ah finally back at the theater. It sure felt good. This is the Mugen train arc that was set up at the end of season 1 of Demon Slayer.

I expected the same level of animation in the anime, and this movie delivered that aspect the best way it could. It was pleasure for my eyes to see the flame, water, and thunder breathing techniques on display. The action scenes were breathtaking and intense.

My problem was that the plot was pretty simple, which made the movie felt too short. I wanted to learn more about the characters, especially Rengoku, and even the demons. The emotion did not hit as high as it could.

Overall, the movie was still a blast. 8.5/10.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
demon slayer
legobuilderpro28 April 2021
Having seen the anime I loved this movie. Outstanding animation and likable characters (tanjiro, zenitsu, inosuke).

(Saw in japanese with english subtitles)

Really funny and emotionally investing scenes with awesome looking fight scenes.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The action, the feeling, it's PERFECT
gracejonwilin30 October 2020
I was worried because the movie is in the train, and I was afraid it will become boring. After I finished the movie, i realize that I shouldn't worried about this thing from the start. Every scene in this movie is really well planed, if the action scene start getting too long they will change it into another scene so we will not get bored with the action (I mean the composition of action and te conversation is balance.)

And then the effects, both 3D and 2D. It's P E R F E C T. Even though we only have 2 hours to know Rengoku character, but the feeling, the emotion still really hit me. Like I cry a river in the cinema😬

It's really recommended! But please remind this in your mind that you need to watch the season 1 before you watch this movie.
103 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm speechless...
RhysMakesMovies25 February 2021
There isn't enough ink or paper in the world to write down everything i loved about this visual spectacle, not that my words could even scratch the surface of fully captivating this level of quality. So I'll just say the things that stopped this masterful work from being a 10/10. There is an large amount of blatant exposition is this film, there are times when it makes sense for a character to be revealing such information but Enmu just stood on top of the train telling his entire plan and more for over 10 minutes for no reason. The music is still top notch but I don't think it was nearly as powerful as the score in the 1st season which stuck to more traditional Japanese instruments. Stop reading this already and go watch it!!!
37 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So pretty
Mr-Fusion4 November 2021
Had no idea what I was walking into, that's as frank as I can make it. Out of nowhere my kid has a love for Demon Slayer and here I am along for the ride. But she's seen the show and I had no context. Here we have a bunch of people on a train, one of them really excited about his bento box ("Umai! ... Umai!"), another wearing a boar's head, now everyone's asleep and pretty soon the fighting begins . . .

That said . . .

It is a gorgeous film. The battle scenes are exciting, the animation is superb, and the high quality bears out (Tanjiro's water effects are crazy).

Purely on a visual level, I enjoyed this film. I have no doubt that any self-respecting anime fan is scoffing at my ignorance, but it is what it is. Mugen Train is easy on the eyes.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I never wrote a single review in my life and here is my review for the first time.
hhktdkncey26 February 2021
If you have watched the first season of Demon Slayer. You will not be disappointed. If you only read manga, you will also not be disappointed. Feelz are real. Visuals 10, feelz 10, sound track 10, humour 10 and story line 10. So don't read other reviews to decide if you should watch it or not. Go and Watch it.
108 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I dont care what anyone else says
umlaziking23 May 2021
This movie is a masterpiece, the story is on point, the characters are amazingly awesome and very well animated. This movie might not be one of the greatest animes or movies of all time...but its definitely the best film of 2021 so far....a movie that focuses on story instead of politics is a movie that should be supported and watched by everyone and this movie is surely part of that rank. Great movie, awesome movie and deserves a 10, definitely deserves to be in the top 250 films of all time in imdb also.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm in awe
colewaters14 May 2021
I am in awe of how beautiful the animation was and how wonderful the movie was. It was by far the best anime movie I have seen.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie!
suvanshgkhr1 November 2020
An amazing thrill ride full of comedy, dark and emotional moments that will leave you begging for more. If you liked the Demon Slayer anime, you are sure to love this movie.
71 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly awesome anime feature
coasterdude441 March 2021
I had so much fun with this movie, it was only playing in a theatre a half an hour drive away from where I live so I drove to the theatre and was blown away by just how good it was.

The animation was amazing. It's was fluid, kinetic and very crisp and detailed. I was a bit hesitant on watching it at first, since I knew this movie would hold some major spoilers for the seiries, and I've only watched the first episode of the anime show since I've only known about it for a week since discovering it on Netflix. This movie does have major spoilers though, but I encourage you to see this in a theatre as soon as you can if tv spoilers bother you or not.

I was worried that the whole movie being set on a train would get stale fast, but it is always exciting and doesn't drag a bit. If watching Train To Busan taught me anything, it's that movies set in limited spaces such as trains can still be constantly exciting if it stays engaging. This movie just like Train To Busan isn't entirely set on the train, there are flashbacks and an action sequence seperate from the train.

Anyway this was an exceptional movie with very good direction and animation. It was thrilling and also very emotional. Don't miss this one
24 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is a reason this became the most succesfull anime movie of ALL TIME!
andmikkelsen14 August 2022
Yeah the succes of this movie is no secret by this point! It started a trend where other studios also made movies that tied into the shows, such as Jujutsu Kaisen 0, One piece Red and the upcoming Haikyuu final part 1 and 2!

The movie is guarenteed to blow you away og shock you in one way or another! The story is simple, but effective! It never feels like it slows down, and the almost 2hr runtime will go by fast! By the time the movie ends you will have cried your eyes out! So many emotions in this movie! The animation is also INCREDIBLE!! UNREAL AT TIMES!! Set the bar for the amazing fights in season 2! The characters are also likeable and all get their moment to shine! Soundtrack is also incredible, especially Akaza and Rengoku theme!

Overall a fun and emotional train-ride i would highly recommend!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delicious! Delicious! Delicious!
EdwardtheBlackPrince8 August 2021
Tanjiro and the others arrive on the Mugen train to meet with the Fire Hashira Kyojuro Rengoku who's investigating the disappearance of people on this train. None of them knowing that this is all part of a plan orchestrated by one of lower rank Kizuki Enmu. *Disclaimer* it is worth noting that unlike most films that are non-canon to the main story. This film is Canon to the manga and if you haven't watched the first season or read to the rehabilitation arc then this movie is a huge spoiler. The first half of the story is more character driven as we delve into the dreams, the minds of the characters. The most part inosuke and Zenitsu don't really have much to offer until later on. The main focus of the story in kept on Rengoku and Tanjiro. The two of quickly develop a bond between them and Kyojuro offers him wisdom that Tanjiro takes to heart as he still blames himself for his family death. Second-half comes around this is where things start to really get intense. The fighting is so crisp and clean this a feature length that's to be expected. However when you actually look at it you can see just how close the show is to this quality. They're are just so over the top and intense especially near the finale you can get lost in it. The setting is of course on a train which offers a compact secluded environment, but if you're expected to see multiple locations you'll be just a little disappoint the entire film takes place on the train. Overall the movie the first looks like it's gonna be more slow burn her things do escalated rather quickly start it and it offers an interesting story intense action and stunning Visuals. The music is beautiful and the visuals and animation is beautiful, once again offering a perfect mixture between CG and Hand drawn.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MASTERFUL!
Brad_G3523 April 2021
I'm so glad this movie got an American release. If you loved the animation of the first season, this is an absolute must-see. Find the biggest screen you can and enjoy!

The animation. The characters. The situations. The music. The action. The demons. It's all great.

Also, try to find a theater with a good sound system. The surround sound really was on another level with the fights.

What a movie!
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
jaysoncarlosgarcia25 October 2020
Worth watching in the cinemas! The animation and the story arc is excellent!
51 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What you think about this movie depends on what you think about the series
isaacsundaralingam2 May 2021
Demon Slayer: Mugen Train is a movie that was looked forward to universally with as much hype as possible. And when it eventually did come out, the reviews were great and so was its box office performance. And ever since, this movie has been a pretty big deal amongst the anime community.

I finally was able to watch it, and I guess I'm a little underwhelmed by the whole thing. My reaction to this movie was very similar to how I felt about the series, and I think the same can be said of everyone. The series, in my opinion, is a decently enjoyable B-Tier anime with 1 exceptionally phenomenal episode. But that's just my take on it and I'm aware I'm in the minority here, because the amount of love this series has garnered is almost unbelievably massive and universal. So what Mugen Train caters to is exactly that demographic of fans (as so it should), meaning that for someone like me who found very little to go crazy about in the series, would find very little to go crazy about in this movie. But if you're one of those who loved the series for its goofiness and style, then this movie is in every way a treat.

I don't think Mugen Train was a bad movie in any way. It was decently enjoyable and had its little moments. The plot is pretty straight forward but makes very little sense if you even stop to think about it. The progress was lazily convenient and the stakes never felt real until at the very end of the movie. The humor was pretty goofy and the characters were as over-the-top as they were in the series... Enjoyable, still The animation was pretty good and consistent throughout; especially the action scenes that were choreographed as well as they were in the series. The colors, the visuals, the music... they're all pretty great and add to the visually pleasing appeal of the movie.

In conclusion, this movie doesn't add anything to the medium in any meaningful way, but it stays true to its style and convention as that is what people love most about the Demon Slayer universe. If you loved the series, you'll love this movie... Go for it!
26 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing...!
ahmxii3 November 2021
This movie isn't even a movie or at least it doesn't use the same formula as any other. It's pretty much action for 3/4 of the movie, and the action is absolutely incredible! It's so fluid and amazingly thought out and it comes together so well! The crazy thing is this movie all takes place in the one area, excellent use of setting throughout. There is quite a bit of cgi aswell but it looks pretty good compared to most anime. The start may be a bit slow and it may not have a real focus but just keep watching it gets reeeaaally great. The main character of the show is in the shade of the side characters as well, it really does an amazing job of create a central focus on this new character while still having other main characters feel a part of the movie.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent follow up movie
WeAreLive23 January 2022
Tanjiro Kamado, joined with Inosuke Hashibira, a boy raised by boars who wears a boar's head, and Zenitsu Agatsuma, a scared boy who reveals his true power when he sleeps, board the Infinity Train on a new mission with the Flame Pillar, Kyojuro Rengoku, to defeat a demon who has been tormenting the people and killing the demon slayers who oppose it!

Nothing more to add here other then if you love the demon slayer series you will definitely enjoy this movie.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a well done movie that did the series proud
kevin_robbins20 May 2022
Demon Slayer the Movie: Mugen Train (2020) is a movie my daughter and I recently watched on Hulu. A serial killer demon(s) has made the news as they target victims on trains. Flame Pillar, Kyojuro Rengoku,is looking to destroy the demon. He is aided by our heroes from the Demon Slayer series.

This movie is directed by Haruo Sotozaki (Cowboy Beebop: The Movie) and contains the voices of Hiro Shimono (Attack on Titan), Natsuki Hanae (Dragon Ball Z), Satoshi Hino (Naruto) and Katsuyuki Konishi (Pokemon: The Movie).

The animation in this is outstanding, especially the attack scenes. I adored the depiction of the demons and the weapons attacks and enhancements were great. The villains were good and creative and there's several scenes in doubt for our heroes. The final fight is unbelievably good.

Overall this was a well done movie that did the series proud. I would strongly recommend this and score it a 8.5/10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
naifkhulaifi17 October 2021
Truly a masterpiece the fight scenes are incredible and the animation mixed with the voice acting truly took this to another level I hope we see more of this in the future.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a vibrant movie
the-fearless-america16 October 2021
The newly continuing series of demon slayer: kimetsu no yaiba, with very vibrant art direction and breathtaking action scenes. The producing team also was genius, making the continuing anime series into a movie, that turning into one of the best profitable movie of all time in japan.

From all perspective, the storyline, animation or art direction, musics, etc. This movie is flawless.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
its good!
fluffset10 March 2021
I wont say the best but its really good, full of every anime recipe. This is my first time watching anime movie in cinema its worth it. Feel like gonna watch again!
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.