Doctor Who - Le Fandom Français (2019) Poster

An Empty Vanity Project
flexmentallo28 November 2019
"Doctor Who - Le Fandom Français" is a documentary about the French Doctor Who fandom. It is made by some youtubers, and the film feels at times like an extended advert for their channel. The interviews are split between the film's directors, their friends and some people that like their channel, it feels very biased as a result.

You might enjoy it if you're a diehard fan of the youtubers, but if you're not familiar with the very obscure subject matter you'll probably feel tired by the end.

The film is technically very amateurish but I can't fault the directors too much as they probably don't have any professional experience in the industry.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A complete waste of time
stepanjhael29 November 2019
This is like The Room of documentaries if Tommy Wisow didn't have charisma.

Not only is it bad, overly biased and self congratulatory, it is also badly paced with a lot of technical errors.

It also mostly shows the point of view of white and straight people (not one women has left a review of it on this page as of right now !), which feels like a missed opportunity for such a diverse fanbase.

Avoid at all costs.
13 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A necessary point of view.
flavienetassocies28 November 2019
A very good work which talk about the French Fandom of Doctor Who. The chronology is very interesting and thorough. There many interviews show the diversity of the Fandom. Finally, it's a very emotional but finely-shaded movie about a show, passion and friendship.
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
France's Got Talent
ZvezdaTheRed29 November 2019
Stumbled across this gem via Twitter - and if you have any interest in how DW is seen outside of the UK, you have to watch it.

It tells how the fanbase was slowly created with the arrival of NuWho in France, and how people kept it alive with a lot of love and care. Some came and went, others managed to build strong communities around that blue box. It's clear that DW isn't dead in France!

I must admit I don't understand some comments saying this movie is empty or devoided of interest: it was made by the fans for the fans - old and new, and all around the world (English subtitles available, kudos for that!). Some moments are actually quite moving too, you can clearly see what kind of wonder the Doctor can do in the real life.

I won't spoil it any further, you'll have to experience it yourself!

As we say overthere: bravo!
An hommage to the fans
spcng28 November 2019
"Doctor Who - Le Fandom Français" is a documentary about the French Doctor Who fandom. Its vision is to encompass the history of it and its actors, from the TV show's beginning in 1963 (but mostly from its revival in 2005), up to nowadays, and visions for the future.

First movie from these passionnate (both about the show and about the fandom itself) and video-experimented people, it features interviews of a large range of active members of this community, the people who make it live through different medias, such as internet blogs, social networks, YouTube channels, art, and so on ; as well as voiceover explanations by the documentary's directors.

It is an ode about the passion people can have about any subject, and it makes the spectator journey through laughs and tears during the 96 minutes of this film, and manages to stay relevant even for a non-initiate.

A hopeful and full of kindness vision on the people giving their time for this series and its fans.
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A love letter to a gorgeous fandom
herubien28 November 2019
The documentary Doctor Who - Le fandom Français is a project that feels very personal to the directors from the beginning to the end; and while the targeted audience is a niche and may seem limited, it is at the very heart of this film which shows how rich and creative the Doctor who fandom is in France.

While I can't really be objective, being a part of this very fandom, I still think the work of recollection and reconstitution of its history is remarkable and no part of the various interviews seemed irrelevent.

As an amateur project I can't be anything but amazed by the quality and rigorousness of this documentary, and I hope it will get all the recognition it deserves.
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Doctor Who - Le Fandom Français" Well balanced between the nostalgia and the future of the fandom
Remia729 November 2019
A first documentary that shows the evolution of the fandom and the people who are part of it.

It's full of love and nostalgia, but not only, you can find an optimistic view for the future of this fandom as well as a pessimistic one.

I think even an outsider would be able to understand what the fandom is about and its story.

And as many others it made me want to do more for it, continue to make it live so that the new arrivals will feel good in it .
9 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a bad discovery
kamrynnmelayna30 November 2019
I'm an English whovian, and I tried this to discover how are the french whovians. First, it seems to be good, but there is too many useless interview. The rythm is too low. i though whovians like cosplay, but I've seen any cosplayers. Is there so few active whovian groups in France?

technically, it's not Professional. too many mistakes.
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.