Concrete Plans (2020) Poster

Vicious and brutal but still manages to be funny in parts!
omendata26 November 2020
I read the 1 star reviews and they are wrong; A 1 star means its the worst film you have ever seen so when a reviewer leaves this for a movie like this then you can pretty much disregard them as a proper reviewer along with the usual 9 and 10 star shills as well.

Although the film is not going to win any oscars. it has some excellent acting performances from literally every member of the cast and some particularly harrowing well acted scenes and i was guffawing at one point in the midst of the brutality which is most unusual - some of the lines are pure class "Is he dead? Well he is not doing the Macarena" is my favourite line delivered with aplomb and what can I say but Steve Speirs is just brilliant in anything he stars in.

Goran Bogdan almost steals the show but the whole cast made the movie so much more than its small basic script and it never lost any pacing or interest for me and based on its low budget they did a splendid job so I am giving it a fair above average 6/10.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reviews by filmmakers
AMZCali23 November 2020
So far, most of the reviews are clearly from the filmmakers or people associated with them. The film I watched is not very good and I would not recommend it. Poor direction and poor story.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thriller with a touch of horror
lincolncurnow26 November 2020
Decent thriller about a group of builders who are hired to do a job, but things don't quiet go to plan, they don't get paid and they decide to get their money with bloody results. Low budget, tightly plotted with a good cast, there is a splattering of gore and some nice twists and turns, it's well shot and has some decent cinematography. Worth a watch.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly tense thriller
filmbuff-5405725 November 2020
I saw this at Frightfest and it jumped off the screen. Its a slow burn - felt like Ken Loach or Play for Today as we get to know the characters, but the vice just tightens and tightens until it explodes. Excellent cast. Watch out for the 'Macarena' line. I spat my beer out...
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
British Gem
tomdhamilton26 November 2020
Really enjoyed this flick. A lot of depth underneath all the carnage, great debut from first time British director!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see
paulcbha31 October 2020
Watched the FrightFest premiere. Highly recommended British thriller. A tense, well acted script supplemented by effective cinematography that manages to create the opposing senses of the remote, wide open landscapes with the claustrophobia inducing farm site scenes. A clever story, but not for the faint hearted. Paul Hartnoll's score works wonders to evoke the thickening atmosphere as the film builds to its gruesome climax.
12 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Thriller
MrsHoHoHorror28 October 2020
Seen at FrightFest though not really a horror as such. Solid characters and tightly plotted. Maybe a touch unadventurous in terms of look/style but quality performances shine through.
10 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
British gold
amieclements26 November 2020
Loved it. Fab gritty British film some bits a little gory for me but I'm a wimp. Everything you would expect from this genre of film- dark humour, Great acting with an unexpected plot line.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film
contactmaz23 November 2020
Good British (Welsh) film!

Great plot and a great ending.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A jewel from the Jewell!
joannarees-9293625 January 2021
I loved this film! The script is pacey and is very well cast, particularly William Thomas. There is something darkly comical despite some pretty gruesome scenes which are all set against the bleakly beautiful Welsh countryside.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great British thriller
anyakrasnikova30 October 2020
The film has it all - gore, humour, intellect. Not for the faint hearted.
9 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing
federicigiulia25 February 2021
I think this film had a very catchy storyline, it's intriguing and it makes you wanna know what happens next. The photography was solid and the soundtrack was on point with the vibe of the movie. I think it might have been braver in terms of the style and costumes but these gets totally shadowed by the actors' performances: they were good with some very felt and-or intense moments. British actors always manage to come out truthful, Nice!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
British filmmaking at its best!
benoswald10 February 2021
Brilliant film. Captures the class divide perfectly in a familiar setting. Great characters and comeuppance! 10/10
Tense but enjoyable Brit Thriller
mawhrinskel-695705 February 2021
The characters assemble and it's quite cheery, a bit like the first episode of Auf weidersehen pet in the Welsh countryside, but it's obvious something or someone is going to go wrong. And the sense of menace builds, and when it turns it can be fairly brutal ( I'm surprised it is only rated 15!) Enjoyable with some unexpected turns along the way but definitely not for the faint hearted!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you love british film making you will love this. its got everything.
ellegon-509803 February 2021
For a small budget film this really does hit high in my ratings and is up there with the likes of snatch and trainspotting. This film has got everything and its all fitted in well from comedy to thriller all the way to horror and sorrow. Some of the camera work and editing is done razor sharp and thats what i look for after being a very novice camera man. I think the whole team not just the cast need a great pat on the back. Enjoyed so much thank you.
Tension
andyjhood25 January 2021
Loved this, had real tension, brilliant cast and great characters. Def a reflection of the times... The location is atmospheric, and the I felt the story was well paced throughout.
Real rating 5
carlgarethnorton15 January 2021
+1 star for Amber Rose Revah because she is just absolutely stunning

The film wasn't bad, a bit far fetched with a few plot holes but still.decent enough to sit back and enjoy. Wasnt awful. I thought the acting was very Good tbh, I've met people like the boss and his nephew (who I hated) because there is real people like them.

Solid 5/10 for me
Solid Thriller
fudgepingu14 January 2021
Great performances, direction, cinematography and writing overall. Keeps you guessing and not a dull moment to be found. The unique setting makes for a memorable watch. I particularly liked the unorthodox music choice. Only minor gripe is that some characters make poor choices at times, and I felt that conflict between the group sometimes rises too quickly. This aside, well worth a watch!
Solid film.
elishakidd-6870011 January 2021
Intriguing plot that's thrilling and intense with element of horror , would recommend to anyone, great watch!
Gritty.
kpreid-6455211 January 2021
Slow burn gritty and intense, loved this film, good watch.
Gritty, absorbing thriller
mungflesh26 October 2020
An aloof ex-army man is renovating an isolated, inherited property and employs five construction workers to live on-site for the duration of the project. When payment is with-held, tensions gradually build ...

It has a great script and is well acted. The makers have achieved a lot on a (presumably) low budget. It doesn't take long for the movie to become quite gripping and, once it kicks in, manages to hold the tension throughout.

Perhaps a bit unoriginal and unlikely to stand out in the taut drama/thriller genre but is a solid movie and well worth watching.
6 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tense and gripping
chris_geddes3 November 2020
A great feature film, directorial debut from Will Jewell. Don't be deceived by the slow start; it soon gathers pace and becomes tense and gripping. There are enough twists to make you want to watch it twice. Great character development, acting and original score. What's not to like?!
7 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong directorial debut
SCI_PaloAlto26 November 2020
Saw this film at an early screening. Very strong performances all around, orchestrated by first time director Will Jewel. The film is a tense, slow burn thriller with very current political themes. The understated cinematography really stands out too. The only downside for me was the pacing was maybe a bit off at times. Overall great film though; more of a thriller with social themes than a horror like the poster and the frightfest association would make you believe.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense
glenn-18-5444401 November 2020
Intense dramatic gritty. Great soundtrack. Solid acting.
5 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute rubbish!!
carldenton6 February 2021
Don't waste your time, 45 minutes actually believable although the Captain can't act, he's shocking, shocking as 10!!!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.