Twilight's Kiss (2019) Poster

A lot more than being "less than 10%"
flcntk3-856-9860176 January 2020
Based on Kinsey's research, gay is about 10% of the population and to do a film on a subject that is a subgroup of that 10% is a bold move backed by strong conviction. Moonlight is one. It is about fending off discrimination of a minority within a minority with a story about being black and gay at the same time. Suk Suk is equally bold if not more so. It is our latest entry in this less than 10% arena. It is about the silver group of elderlies who lived their prime in a less accepting time and are now facing love, commitments and what is in front of them. In terms of approach, Moonlight is vibrant and sassy with dramatic peaks and valleys, Suk Suk on the other hand is calm and without too much of any surprising life's ripples. For that I must give it even more credit for being genuine and not creating unnecessary high drama out of the subject because over-milking would have been a cheap and easy way out. As a film, Suk Suk takes time to examine every blade of grass in the unremarkably plain of day to day living, and in doing so, the film becomes quite remarkable. The performances by Mr. Ben Yuen and Mr. Tai Bo is simply world class in their subtleties and realism. There are other well fitted artistic decisions in the project that sing in harmony with each other and for all the above reasons, it is a film I highly recommend.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really touching
Gordon-1128 May 2020
This story is really touching. It speaks to my heart. The characters are very real, and their experiences are pretty authentic. They make you care about them. They make you realise that they, like everyone else, deserve happiness too. Great production as well. I really enjoyed it.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sensitive portrait of seniors in love.
chong_an14 October 2020
Two men in Hong Kong meet at a cruising park and form a relationship. They are of retirement age, but both are closeted and living with family - one with his wife, the other with his son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter. So their chances at physical intimacy usually rests in places like bathhouses.

A substantial sub-plot is the attempt by young lobbyists, who are trying to create a gay seniors' home, to find members of a gay seniors' group to testify. Generally closeted, it is hard for them to step into the limelight.

This is a decent portrait about gay life in Hong Kong for the elderly. It is fairly calm and understated, leaving me to wish for a bit more drama.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Film Review - Twilight's Kiss (2019) 8.0/10
lasttimeisaw28 October 2020
"Pak, a taxi driver already passes the age of retirement, a habitué of a local tearoom, chances upon Hoi, a divorcé and Catholic convert, both have adult children and grandchildren. After consummating their carnal knowledge, they gradually develop feelings for each other, but as a married man, Pak is the one who has a tougher decision to make, whereas for Hoi, audience is explicitly intimated that his son Wan (Lo) has been knowing his secret all the time. While both meditating on a possible future living together as a same-sex couple, that giant leap takes much more than a steely determination and their unalloyed, mutual affection."

read the full review on my blog: cinema omnivore, thanks
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoughtful and thought-provoking
Goloh26 October 2020
This is a wonderful film. Anyone looking for action and high drama can go elsewhere. The (relatively) slow pacing is entirely in line with the personalities of the lead characters, and even the younger family members -- who always seem to be right on the edge of knowing more than they want to know -- are perfect for their roles.

The Alpha Male in this couple (Pak) maintains one of the most understated and quietly confident demeanors I can recall in any film from recent years. It's not really a spoiler to say that he faces a challenge towards the end of the film that forces him to evaluate quite a bit about himself. His partner, Hoi, seems to have had more "life experience" (can I say it that way?) and they complement each other brilliantly.

At the risk of saying something that might actually be a spoiler, I was honestly relieved that a storyline featuring two older men didn't wind up with one of them dying. Too many films take the easy way out and do that. So ... time very well spent watching this impressive entry. One more note: the English subtitles on the DVD I was watching were excellent and, as far as I could tell, caught the Cantonese innuendoes and references pretty well.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hk situation
ks-6050017 January 2021
I think for being gay is not a guilt but many countries still a taboo and lag behind on the openness on this. Hk definitely is one of the place. Feel good movie try to bring something up and very real for the situation in hk. This movie should go to nominate some of the award in terms of the productions.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Important
atractiveeyes12 January 2021
This movie is really nice, emotional and important. It's so rare to see movies about elderly people figuring out their sexuality and self identity, and finding their happiness and freedom after spending their life facing homophobia and discrimination, and Twilight's Kiss is one of those important movies. It's also very well written, shot, directed and acted. Twilight's Kiss or Suk Suk is beautiful, real, authentic and full of feelings. It's one of Hong Kong's official submissions to the Golden Globes. Give it a try.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.