Heartland (TV Series 2007– ) Poster

(II) (2007– )

I'm a 32 year old man and I love it
justinpparkway1 September 2015
First off, I'm a 32 year old man living in Upstate New York. I drive a truck and have seen a horse up close maybe 3 times. I love this show. The acting is great and the script is written very well. Every now and then, you can predict something, but very rarely can you be specific. Everyone talks about the horses and the heartwarming tales. I agree with all of that. I'm writing this as of the completion of the 8th season. Ty's character was my favorite. I loved Amy as well, but Ty is the kid with the troubled past. I enjoyed how his past became relevant more than once. It's not like he moved and everyone back home forgot about him. He grew as a person and a man. Great things were portrayed in this show.

Also the message Heartland and nature portrays. There is more to live than city living. There's more out there. And it's a richer life.

I strongly recommend this show.
43 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Old-Fashioned Entertainment
tradewinds689 July 2013
Heartland is a true family show grounded in the values of times past but in a present context, leaving the viewer with a light and happy feeling at the end of each episode. It is a true delight to watch and the characters are incredibly genuine, making it easy to empathise with their lives and dilemmas. My son is 15 years old and as with other children his age, addicted to modern technology, yet since I discovered Heartland, we enjoy nothing more than sitting down in the evening and watching a few episodes as a family, something that I doubt no other PG-rated show could have achieved. I would recommend Heartland to everyone of all ages who wants to watch a heartwarming television show that brings its stories to life.
36 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly love it
dkl566422 August 2014
Love watching the show. My daughter and grand daughter love it too. Grand daughter is 2 and says horsey show mama. She would have it on all the time. Too cute. Wish we had more heart warming shows like this. I like the values it teaches. Family is so very important, and this shows a family's struggles and victories. Sleepless nights I turn on Heartland and have a marathon till morning. Wishing episodes 6-8 were available here. I will just have to wait. The story line and cast are excellent. Awesome family show. Makes me want to get baby girl a pony. Would love to see Calgary someday. It truly is beautiful. Would recommend watching this series, it will fill your heart with joy. Grew up with horses at grandfathers. So the story falls right in with all I remember growing up.
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
even for a non horse person, this is good story telling
bengleson1 November 2009
I confess this show is one of my clearly-no-longer secret pleasures. The stories of Heartland resonate with me in quite a different way then most of the pablum I watch on television. The travails of a multi-generational country family, the mix of urban experience and back to the horse-manure land operation, the western motif and the youthful tales of love, of coming of age, of environmental concern, well I find some comfort and a strong sense of just about lost values in the telling. Above all else, the story of the young horse whisperer is almost mystical. If it borders on trite from time to time, it is easy to forgive this creative slight. A very pleasant TV experience.
63 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family western series from Canada
bkoganbing25 May 2016
Living where I am in Buffalo, New York I'm fortunate to get a few Canadian television shows from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation which is on my cable package. If I didn't I wouldn't be seeing Heartland which I'm informed is Canada's longest running television series.

Family patriarch is Shaun Johnston who is a man of the land and in his way of living land means you grow things and or you feed animals off the things you grow. He's a cowboy and still a working one at that. But he's smart enough to bend with the times and part of his land is now a dude ranch for dudes who want to pretend. Not thrilled with the idea, but it's an income and the family works at it as a family enterprise.

My favorite of the characters is Chris Potter who is best known for the role of Peter Caine in Kung Fu - The Legend Continues. He's Johnston's errant son-in-law, a former rodeo star who can't forget the roar of the crowd and hasn't quite matured. As this series is almost a decade old Potter and the rest have really honed their characters pretty good.

Heartland is a really nice product from Canada and we Americans who can see it should be grateful.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartland - love the horses, love the show
debbry25 February 2008
Heartland is a heartwarming, and exciting family series. My daughters and I love the show - it has become a real mother - daughters time for us. We love horses and the "Healing Horses / Healing Hearts" theme is really inviting and enduring to us. We have a large number of friends and family that share our feelings and interest in the show - which makes watching it even more exciting because my daughters love going to school the next day to talk with all of their friends about what happened on the last episode. We just finished watching the season finale and my daughters begged me to go online to find out if the first season will be coming out on DVD and when the second season will possibly start. We find the show very well acted, and extremely well written - the story line is infuriatingly enticing (we can hardly wait to see what will happen to the characters next). The fact that it is based in the Canadian Rockies is just a bonus and certainly must make filming the beautiful landscapes easier. The camera angles and lighting certainly create the right mood for the moment and really make the characters and setting believable. It is hard to believe that a story based on such a tragedy can bring such feelings of love and happiness to the surface, but this show really pulls it off. There is just the right combination of action, drama, romance and comedy to make it enjoyable for everyone watching. We look forward to the next season (we are saddened that the first season is over already). We surely hope that the first season will be brought out on DVD very soon as it is the type of show that one can watch over and over again.
51 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wholesome Family Drama
elaine_byrne31 July 2015
I discovered this series by accident on UP TV. The saga revolves around the multi-generational Fleming family on their Heartland ranch in Alberta. Grandfather Jack is a somewhat crusty individual who is the one everyone else turns to for advice and help in times of trouble. Amy is the central character, one of Jack's two granddaughters, who is, if you will excuse the expression, a horse whisperer. Lou is the other granddaughter, a good-hearted but often too aggressive take-charge person. Chris Potter plays Amy's and Lou's father, an x-rodeo cowboy always looking for a make-money scheme. His wife was killed in an accident, which plays heavily in the first seasons episodes. Ty Borden comes to Heartland on a temporary visit and stays on as his character grows in importance. These cast members, and all the other permanent or temporary cast members are fine actors. The scripts are well written and directed. Once you see a few episodes you will be hooked and look forward to the next and the next.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood has lost their ability to make quality shows like this.
davidsarti3 August 2013
Hollywood has gone so high-tech and their salaries are so exorbitant that they cannot make shows like this. The United States has beautiful scenery just like Canada, in fact here in Tennessee on the Cumberland plateau we have vistas very similar except the mountain peaks are not as sharp. If I ever won the lottery I would love to produce a show like this in Tennessee in a rural area or even maybe Kentucky. The film crews would not have to worry with as much snow so that part would be a little bit easier.

Amber Marshall is one of those magical finds for a leading role. Amber plays Amy exceedingly well because she is in real life a horse owner, rider, trainer and animal lover in real life. Anyone that does not like this show would not like me, because I grew up around horses long ago. Now the area where I am at has few stables and my parents are gone and I am disabled so this brings back many fond memories. Kind of sad when I look back I keep hoping my health would improve and allow me to go and purchase another horse for my farm, I may not be able to ride it but I could still train it to pull a cart and do tricks.

Another thing the ASPCA in the United States has got out of control as to where they have ruined many of horse farms. They have created such a glut that horse desertion in Tennessee was at an all-time high 10 years ago.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good show, Great pick
dutchie_suus18 January 2010
I like this show, because first it's about horses. But also because i read the book. The actors are well chosen for the characters and are most like the description of the books.

One downside is that they changed some basic fact of the boo that are important to the storyline. Like that Tim isn't English but living in Australia to him living close by.Ty being brought in as a ex-con when in the book he has been working for Marion since his fourteenth. In the book he's is already more an expert. Lou didn't go to an English boarding school.

Unfortunately i have to watch this show online because it has not aired yet here. But i hope it soon will. For everyone who loves horses and wants to learn something about natural healing.
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a small bit addictive
JiffyB24 February 2014
I read the books when I was little and never knew they had been made into a TV series until this year so I had some major catching up to do! I can't really remember too much of the books just the basic bits which is probably a good thing.

I found this show totally addictive. The characters were brilliant, there was not a single one I didn't like, which adds to its watchability. Jack what a man; so well acted and such a great character. I would say my one problem with the series so far is that they have not used Caleb as well as they could of. Especially in the last few series where he was pretty much forgotten about.

I am a horse person but I could quite easily watch the series without the horses, they are an added bonus. The plots, although at times very predictable, are incredibly heart warming and I challenge you to watch some episodes without crying.

My only niggles (apart from the Caleb thing) would be just general stuff you know from having horses... your finger nails never stay lovely and manicured for more than 5 minutes and if you manage to stay clean you obviously haven't done things properly!Other than that its a brilliant show and I look forward to the next series!
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartland is the best
sarah_goodall1 January 2013
I just love watching heartland, i normally hate things like this but heartland leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy afterwards. The characters are lovable and the horses are amazing. The story's are gripping and leave you desperate for more. I have watched every single episode as far as series 5. I cant wait for series 6 and hope they go on to make a series 7, 8, 9 and 10.

I like that it surrounds the natural horsemanship methods and has a few good tips in there as well. I have seen so much i would love to learn with my horse since watching this, it makes me wanna up sticks and move to Canada!! The scenery is amazing, and it is nice watching all the different seasons and all the trials and tribulations that happen with new weather. I like it when it snows at heartland.

My fave characters are of course Amy. She plays her role brilliantly. Its really nice watching amy grow in confidence until she truly becomes a true horsewoman.

My next fave would have to be jack, Amy grandfather. He plays a grumpy yet lovable character full of wisdom and kindness. He has a strong sense of family values and try's his best to keep everyone happy. There are lots of laughs surrounding jack and he is never far from a drama. The show just would not be the same without him.

All the other characters are great too, and it is nice they constantly add new people to the show, they keep the series fresh and moving forward.

I watch this with both my daughters who are 9 and 4 and they love watching it. When the music starts they are running to the sofa as quickly as they can, and they don't move till its over. We have all 5 seasons on DVD and they watch them over and over again.

What i will be watching after this finishes i do not know! I have tried watching other horsey TV series but they just don't have the same appeal.

This is the type of programme that is best watched with a hot chocolate, some munch and a nice blanket at night with the warm glow of the fire. It makes the evening cozy. There is nothing better than cuddling up with the kids to watch heartland

I hope they make more. I just love this programme.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best show iv ever watched
stephenjoseph-522041 September 2018
I have fallen in love with Amy..I love horses so much and she is so full of love.The whole cast is great and the setting is so beautiful.Thank you so much.Makes me want to be 20 again
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just saying
mariposa-978687 August 2018
Really like this country living clean series , however I want to slap Mallory all the time , she's very annoying, nosy, and extremely irritating. Se needs to go . Otherwise love the cast great show .
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needs a personality
korteruckmar25 June 2017
I greatly enjoy this show. What restricted me from rating it a 10, though, is the baby chosen for the Katie part. She is very cute, She also has no personality, doesn't make eye contact with anyone, or even occasionally smile. Is this the best child you could find to fill this part?
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the show
marlenepederson20 June 2017
Love the show..BUT dislike most of the music immensity. It is Also...always "WAY TOO LOUD!" I love music and enjoy most types but this whinny, sighing weird stuff really grates on my nerves. I am thankful for the skip intro and review options that allow me to skip the music on Netflix plus..I can skip the ending which always goes out with a tune! Without the music...this show would be a 10 in my book :} I do wish to thank you for the show content and the actors. It is refreshing to have a good family value program to watch.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heart-warming family show
Angelus223 January 2010
Lou and Amy Fleming run their ranch with their Grandfather Jack Bartlett, and run into a spot of adventure, romance and more importantly lessons of life, with hilarious moments in the mix.

I spotted this show on a Sunday, just sitting around and found the landscape of the Canada, simply beautiful; with the horses playing a bigger role than one might think. The show is definitely for the whole family, and the character of Mallory is simply a joy to watch, always interfering in everyones personal matters without a care in the world. Ty Borden adds the attitude to this family-some show and it works, a bad-boy on the mend, while we, the audience are teased by the budding relationships, especially Scott and Lou.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Horse Show Saddled with Predictable Characters and Strange Behavior
gregorybmowery5 April 2016
HEARTLAND is apparently Canada's premier TV drama. And when the show, which is set on a ranch in Alberta, Canada, focuses on the difficulties running a modern horse ranch, it's a lot of fun to watch. Yet all too often we're treated to ridiculous and predictable story lines that are preposterous and make the characters shallow. Let's start out with Amy (the appealing Amber Marshall), the granddaughter of the patriarch, Jack Bartlett (Shaun Johnston). Amy is a young horse-whisperer, who is something of a local legend. But every time she sees her boyfriend, Ty (Graham Wardle), she's an emotional mess. These two miss each other's signals all the time. Her sister, Lou (Michelle Morgan) is even worse. When the series opens, Amy's older sister returns to her grandfather's ranch to attend their mother's funeral. Lou is a mess of insecurities which all-too-often, she disguises by acting superior. She bosses everyone in the family, and when she finally finds the guy she loves, she does the same thing to him. When she gives birth to their daughter, she becomes a total control freak. Lou is smart and very good at business, but suffers from intense guilt as a mother. Her husband is the soul of patience, and I'm amazed at how nasty she can be. Their dad, played by Chris Potter with all the charisma he can manage, is perhaps the most unappealing of the clan. A first class womanizer, this ego-maniac always puts his own needs ahead of his two daughters. When he finds out he's the father of a young boy, he suddenly acquires a conscience. His daughters need to kick his selfish ass out of the house.

Amy's boyfriend, Ty, first appears in the series as a troubled teenager, with a no-good father, a weak mother and a bully boyfriend. On parole, Ty is taken into the family where he quickly establishes himself as the resident good guy. His hard work, impresses Jack, and Amy is drawn to this emotionally fraught young man. Over and over again, the writers create absurd dramatic hoops for these two actors to hurl themselves through.

The Fleming/Bartlett clan are very generous. Mallory Wells, a young teenager, who lives with them, is the daughter of a father who is a traveling musician and a mother who chooses to spend her time with her husband. Why they don't seem to mind that they have abandoned their daughter is beyond me. Mallory is a classic whiner and a stunning bore. Later as Mallory looks to be fading from the show, another kid, with a troubled past comes to live on the ranch. Then there's Caleb Odell (Kerry James) a talented rodeo rider and good time boy, who often works at the ranch. He takes one look at Ashley, a stuck-up classmate of Amy's and falls in love. Ashley is in a constant war of wills with her controlling mother, Val. So of course, she falls in love with him. From country clubs and being an a-list member of the horsey set, where Ashley is a champion horse athlete, she moves into Caleb's trailer, where--surprise, surprise--they are constantly at each other's throats. Val never seems to get a real comeuppance over her obvious and mean- spririted meddling.

The scenery where this show is set is stunning. Rolling hills, vast fields of grazing land, mountains and drop-dead vistas constantly arrest the eye. And then there are the horses. Beautiful animals all, who do amazing things from racing to jumping to simply dancing. The writer seems to find more believable story lines for the horses than they do for the show's characters. Even Jack, the family patriarch who can find solutions to most situations, can't seem to get his romantic life sorted out.

Clearly I'm in the minority here. HEARTLAND has been on the air for nine seasons. I'm nearly at the end of the sixth season on Netflix. I like this series low-key story telling and it keeps me engaged when it stays away from soap opera and focuses on the animals and scenery.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartland Biggest Fan
tigerlillyvenus11 August 2015
I love this show but I will be honest at first I was hesitant to watch this show but then one day I had a day of freedom to do anything but couldn't find anything I wanted to do so I decided to watch this show and wow was I amazed with it I got so into it that it felt like I was in the show living it I already can't wait to watch the next episode it really knows how to pull you right into the show and I can't say that a lot of shows out there today can really do that to me that often I will say that I do miss seeing Soroya, Mallory, Jake, and Ashley in the show they bring more life to the show with Amy and Ty and I just love Jack he really makes it more lively when he and Tim are together LOL if I could give this show a hundred star rating I would LOVE LOVE LOVE this SHOW keep up the great work!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
narrow audience
edoniko25 July 2016
This popular series is obviously something for the Hallmark crowd. So sugary and hokey at the same time with all life crises wrapped up nicely with a bow. Fantasy all the way. I love the horses and watching Amy work her magic. The character of Lou, however is unsympathetic, as played, so it's unrealistic to believe she can actually manage, let alone save the ranch. She never comes across warm.The character of Mallory is grossly annoying and her presence doesn't add to any character dynamic, or plot.She is unnecessary. I suppose it's the lack of depth in the characters overall that displeased me.I had my hopes up, and was disappointed- I tend to like realism and this doesn't have any it's no Longmire.
19 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In the Land Where the Heart Rules
lightheartedbeing17 December 2018
Great story-telling in this series and every aspect is well produced: acting, writing, and the incredible scenery. I'm about halfway through the 12-season show, and am simply enjoying the heck out of it. The horses are great actors, too, and should win awards. It does seem everyone is doing most of their own riding, they make it all so very realistic. The lead Amy played by Amber is incredible, who knew one person could do so many different types of riding and do it well? Horse dancing, to dressage, to jumping, to rodeo, to racing, to communicating deeply with horses in a genuine heart-felt way gets conveyed incredibly well. There's lots of topics that reveal ranch life in today's world that is interesting as well. From wild horses to oil, class war, business vs. family life, addiction, native people's oppression and resilience, death and loss, relationship dysfunction, craziness and creative solutions (no sex). Then there's the whole healing aspect that comes from living in and/or visiting the land where the heart rules. The therapeutic work with the horses affects the people and vice versa in sometimes amazingly touching and profoundly metaphorical ways. The show goes deep and is lighthearted too. It cannot be an easy show for the actors to do because it is quite physically demanding. There's violence, though not too bad, fires, explosions, shooting, avalanches, rescues, fights, lots of action. The characters, including repeating characters and are so well-drawn and acted, you end up taking them to heart. There are a few places where what they do doesn't quite fit with them, what they know or would do in just a few situations, but otherwise the character arcs, their growth and development over the years is an incredible journey of the heart. Totally enjoyable for the whole family, too. If you don't love horses when you start this series, you will.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Compelling drama with touches of wonderful humor
glorioreo12 August 2018
I have just finished watching Season 10 on Netflix and am going to start watching again from the beginning for the third time. That is how much I enjoy this show. Jack and Tim are great characters and the actors who portray them, Shaun Johnston and Chris Potter respectively, bring the characters to life with masterful performances. Chris Potter is the best actor in the series. His portrayal of Tim is nuanced and complex and takes what could have been a two dimensional character and gives us a complicated, flawed, funny, and lovable man. The Ty and Amy thread is the center of the series but other characters are woven in and out adding depth to the show. I would give this a 10 except that the character of Lou is just too flawed for me to like. Whereas Tim's flaws are compelling and complex, Lou's flaws are irritating and downright silly at times. That said, this is a beautiful show for those who like character driven stories, horses, and gorgeous scenery from western Canada. If you are looking for a wholesome, almost old fashioned type of show, then give this a try.
Family friendly
joylegs31 July 2018
Brooding cowgirls, bad boy rodeo dudes, basically awestern Canadian soap opera based in beautiful country. Drama festival.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show CHANGED MY LIFE!
janerosslj15 May 2018
This show was my whole childhood! Being 3 hours away from the actual set was so unreal! And hearing when the characters talked about Banff and Calgary, really brought the show to life! Unfortunately, I don't live in Canada anymore. I moved to Australia but I love that I can watch this show now and remember all the amazing things about Canada! The acting is amazing and the show is SO addictive. I feel in love with this show at 12, and now being 18, I am rewatching all seasons! For me it's not just about the people, but the messages as well! This is the REAL DEAL! This show will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!! This show is made for the Decades!
Love the show
sandishop10 April 2018
I think Ty being away is not important as being with his wife. Monogolia and an animal here and there seems trivial! The back and forth scenes of an accident and a cub don't equal in severity!

We do recommend the show to everyone! Love family tv!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best series I have ever watched!
cbblack-5363112 October 2017
I have not read the books but I will now. My daughter told me I would like this series but forgot about it until this year. I watched the first one and became addicted! I watched all nine season on Netflix (that's all they have) in less than two months. I love the depth of the emotion, psychological knots that need untangled; past ties and relationships that need to put to right. Ty and Amy characters have such great chemistry and need to keep it that way. I just love the family interaction. I hated to see Mallory grow up and leave. I even hope Caleb and Ashly get back together. Of course, As I have not seen seasons 10 and now 11, I don't know what has happened in that relationship.

I hope the series doesn't go off track but stays warm and family centered with 'Heartland' values. Thank you for delivering such a well written, well preformed series that the whole family can enjoy. I look forward to seeing the rest of the series. I hope the series continues until Ty and Amy are old and gray with a house full of children and a barn full of horses! I have started from the beginning again to see what I may have missed now I know how somethings worked out. Love it!