Knocking (2021) Poster

(2021)

Tense performance
BandSAboutMovies25 September 2021
After leaving a tragic accident - the film begins with our heroine embracing her girlfriend who runs into the water and is never seen again - and a stay at the mental hospital, Molly moves into a new apartment where a strange knocking keeps on getting louder and louder. No one else can hear it. And it's not going away.

Adapted from a novel by Johan Theorin, this movie lives and dies by the intense performance of lead Cecilia Milocco and the so tight you're face-to-face cinematography of Hannes Krantz. The tension keeps increasing and much like so many "is it supernatural or mental illness" movies, the questions keep increasing as Molly begins taking increasing risks to determine where the knocking and sobbing is coming from.

At just 78 minutes, this is a short film that nearly begs for even more time and it's rare that I feel that way. The end just arrives after the slowest of builds, but I've been obsessed with the moments that exist between waiting for something to happen and the actual second that everything changes.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
intense but slow...
ops-5253516 November 2021
For the mental healthy sane, a real horror show for everyone living in the shadowland of reality. Its a no recommend from the grumpy old man, who isnt knocking on your door.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who's there?
begob9 January 2022
After her release from psychiatric care, a woman's attempt to settle into a new apartment is disturbed by a series of upsetting events.

Not-so-tight psychological thriller that left me unsatisfied. The main strength is the lead performance, which presents a difficult character who causes everyone around to take a step back. Plenty of close-ups, and a couple of scenes where psychotic-breaks are represented by body-cam focused on the actor's face as she moves around.

The story tries to have the apartment block stand in for society, with its well-meaning but uncomprehending reaction to the protagonist's deteriorating state. But it also seems to stand for her own psyche, as she insists that a woman is dying within its walls. It might have helped if we knew what she was actually missing through the unspecified tragedy in the flashbacks. Just companionship? But why would that induce psychosis? In the end the story seems to insist that the experience was all literally true, and does it through voice-over rather than imagery - not a great way to finish off a piece of cinema.

Just too many discrepancies left for me - am I supposed to believe the other residents and the social services were in bad faith? - and I always thinks it's a mistake for a psychic story to insist on literal truth, because it takes away the nuance that allows meaning to find a place in the gaps in the official version.

The editing is good, but the pace was a bit of a drag, mostly because the woman's behaviour became tiresome. Music and sound design created good tension.

Overall: Simple story that sedated its own psychology.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cliche But Entertaining Enough
sweidman-2801630 January 2021
Knocking is about a woman who leaves a psychiatric ward after a nervous breakdown, but she soon begins hearing mysterious knocking sounds in her apartment. Of course, any midnight horror movie is going to catch my attention and this happened to be one of the ones I really wanted to see. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to what I wanted it to be. Knocking follows a typical indie slow-burn about someone who may or may not be crazy. The movie tries to play smart, but we're all immune to any shock factor that comes our way. Everything is something we've seen before, yet I still found the movie entertaining. Cecilia Milocco gives a good performance that drives the whole thing. We know her history in mental health and an event that has scarred her which is fine for character development. My issue is because we know this, the whole time we're thinking she's crazy and hearing this. The end does play around with us leaving an ambiguous answer. For a 78-minute runtime it didn't feel all there, but maybe as a short this would've worked wonders. It's serviceable but nothing too special.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you have a spare hour or so . . .
svader28 October 2021
Go out and do something or find someone else to watch.

Long drawn out nonsense that started nowhere and went even further away.

I slept like a baby after watching though.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Psychological thriller with no surprises
MiguelAReina8 February 2021
A psychological thriller that is handled with a certain suspense, although from the visual point of view it does not have bright ideas. The story benefits from an adequate length (short film based on a short story), although it gives the impression that the path takes us not very far from where we were at the beginning. Good performing by Cecilia Milocco, which is above the predictability of the story.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I quite liked it.
jmdillehay30 January 2021
Great performance from the lead. I felt her fear and anxiety the entire runtime. My wife and I were both felt so stressed and empathetic to the protagonists suffering.

After sitting with the ending overnight, I also really enjoyed it. It leaves me feeling happy, oddly enough.

Perhaps my favorite horror from Sundance? Censor was good too.

Give it a watch and stress out with our hero!
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An impressive debut and a breathtaking performance from the lead actress!
Humblecritic8 February 2021
This film is a must see! A solid thriller drama with breathtaking acting from Cecilia Milocco. The story is rather simple in one sense. It follows Molly, a women coming home from a psychriatic clinic after dealing with the loss of her girlfriend. Back home she hears noises, knockings, in the walls and ceiling. It sounds like a woman in pain. It drives Molly to investigate where the sounds comes from but no one believes her conviction that a women in the building is getting hurt. This is the setting for this drama taking place in the suburbs somewhere in Sweden. But the big sucess of this film is not a smart plot or a who-done-it-mystery for the viewer to solve. Its the brilliantly performed emotional journey of Molly and the bold storytelling of relying in the moods and senses of the lead role that makes this a magnificent debut film from Frida Kempff. The visionary camerawork is highly emotionally driven and the script makes plenty of room for both moods and tensions far beyond the written dialogue. The movies core is the suggestive and subjective experience of loneliness and the effects of not being heard. In that sense, this movie suceed of being both a deeply moving drama and a thriller full of suspense. Cecilia Miloccos moving potrayal of Molly, a women struggling with sorrow and depression is masterly performed and makes this film a masterpiece.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.