Squid Game (TV Series 2021– ) Poster

(2021– )

1,912 Reviews
Great show, horrible VIPs
shanekoggg20 September 2021
I found the show to be fantastic, only ruined by the horrible VIP acting.
2,005 out of 2,180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it, but...
minisaulol18 September 2021
My God the actors who potrayed the VIP people cannot act. I cringed everytime they said a line. It felt like they were just reading them. Even the intonation was off. It was like when we were kids and had to read a play in class and we exagerated the intonation. Terrible, just awful.
1,395 out of 1,537 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes, the VIPs sucked, but that didn't ruin the series
matthewjleming24 September 2021
Seriously. All things considered, they're a pretty small and self-contained part. The main characters were brilliant in their roles. I guess good actors figured that having parts where they're wearing masks the whole time wouldn't get them much exposure. The pacing and character development were superb.
689 out of 783 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely one of the most well-made Netflix shows by Korea
jaeyeon_jung17 September 2021
Just watched whole 9 episodes and my favorite was the 6th, Gganbu. Not perfect nor a masterpiece, but this is very well made and provides a certain level of emotional experience. The overall show was far beyond things that were shown in trailer. Very well directed, performed, and finding its own unique points from the genre mixture of various references such as Gambling Apocalypse : Kaiji, Battle Royale, and so on. Just hope all others enjoy this show not only in Korea but also everywhere!

Ps. Even to Korean ears, VIPs' English conversations were not well written nor performed. I think the drama could stand well enough without their presence and save the budget.
461 out of 563 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mixtape algorithm
shanayneigh25 September 2021
This show was like a mixtape of other (and better) shows. You can virtually see the Netflix algorithm in action: "The capitalism parable in Parasite won an Oscar, so let's go with that. And people responded really well to the colorful uniforms and weird masks in Casa de Papel, so let's give people a chance to dress up as our characters on Halloween which will give the show free PR. Oh, and Battle Royale was really successful and influential, so let's pretty much steal that whole concept right down to the classical music and cheery female speaker!"

The VIPs get a lot of flak for their acting in many reviews on IMDb, and rightly so. But let's be honest, the Korean actors are no better. This show is filled to the brim with bad Asian style overacting, something which is far too common in Korean and Japanese shows. The bad guy with the face tattoo is right out of some school play, and the guy in the lead is pulling faces like a madman. I have no idea who they are but I wouldn't be surprised if they originally are comedians. The best actor in the whole show is the main character's daughter and she's only in it for a couple of minutes.

As per usual for a Netflix production the story is stretched very thin in order to make it nine hours (!) long.
350 out of 460 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cliché galore
ontheis17 October 2021
This is the proof people are still fans of predictable stories. If this is the 2021 most mainstream TV series, something is definitely off. Except for a few moments and interesting parts when they participate in the game, everything else is filled with already seen stuff. Main character's morality is selectable/clashing in different situations, ridiculous plot twists and most of all, acting and dialogue of "rich people watching" is major cringe. I would avoid this, except if you really want to see why is this so popular.
45 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best description? Uncomfortably genius! And quite disturbing!
missessence7818 September 2021
Squid Game. Wow.

Korean.

Best description? Uncomfortably genius!

(Kind of disturbing - small warning but still)

I mean there are some elements of The Game and Hunger Games, but this is bigger, more catastrophic in a different way, more clever, plays on psychological aspects, with a touch of closeness between some participants. Its intensely catchy and totally insane.

Its set in a today's society with participants being people in economic trouble who owes a lot of money, mostly from gambling, and about their desperation. Great actors too!!

They even include a very dark business of todays world - but I wont reveal anything here.

Although its brutal - its more brutal in what's actually going on, and what's happening - than being graphically brutal.

And you will sit there and feel lots of things - scared and somewhat freaked out as well, and as I said: its Uncomfortably geniusly made in my opinion.

If you're looking for something different that will get your HR rising, try this one! *Handclaps*
285 out of 396 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts off strong then gets pretty weak at the end.
gazzalodi29 September 2021
The first couple of episodes a very well done and pack a punch, but by the end it just seems to run out of steam. The marbles episode was the last real swerve, after that it becomes paint by numbers to the point that I started fast forwarding through most of it just to get it to end.

Early episodes are an eight, final episodes are a three.
92 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great...if you watch it in reverse!
Go_For_The_Jugular5 October 2021
Episode 1 was AMAZING!!!

But things went downhill a little bit each episode. By episode 4, I was totally over it.

I did watch all 9 episodes, because I'd already invested so much time into it. Plus, I wanted to see what all the social media hype was about...unfortunately, after all 9 episodes, I'm not seeing it.

Didn't really need to be 9 hours long...would of worked better as one regular 90-minute film.
73 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong start, poor finish
daniel-6583630 September 2021
Very compelling opening episodes, but when the actual plot unravels it makes you go, "Oh, that's just it? That's kinda lame". Great acting still, amazing sets, overrides the glaring flaws of the series, an enjoyable watch overall. 7/10.
77 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bingeworthy
stumpykerr20 September 2021
Just binged the whole 9 episodes, best thing I've seen on Netflix since I opened my account. Even though it's dubbed, you hardly notice! Watch it, you won't be disappointed! 👍👍👍
250 out of 360 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Double standards, celebrating today's social abyss and pretending to be totally moral
patrickfilbeck15 October 2021
The fact that this new series has recently been considered the latest cult hit and the reviews (including the established critics) celebrate this stuff is once again a sign of the stupidity and abstinence from reflection in modern times of the 21st century. So much is wrong with this series, yes, the whole idea behind it, that I hardly know where to start. But I'll try. The purely cinematic criticism first: The character development is ad hoc, in rapid succession and hardly comprehensible. The character development from the failed and disliked clown to the moral hero does not work and is wrapped in a bad script. The supporting characters are just vehicles and not much else. Scattered in to show humanity, friendship or criminal energy and ruthlessness here and there, they are ultimately not figures in themselves. The cinematography is okay, but far too obsessed with a disgusting aesthetic, which is so full of wealth, greed and hedonism that it is not the renunciation of such anti-values, but their celebration. The music / the score are completely irrelevant and immature. They have no influence on the film. The script has as many gaps as a Swiss cheese and storylines go untold. The actors are sometimes like that, but all in all they tend to be in the lower range of the theatrical talent factory. They often only convey one, and when the going gets tough, maybe two or three qualities that the script exploits like wood engravings. Aside from these obvious aspects, however, the worst thing about this entire series is its game of hide-and-seek. The producers and creators of the series pretend that they are telling a parable about wealth, unscrupulousness, greed for money and, in the ultimate end, a moral story about ethics, humanity and humanism, but aim at a target group that is not aimed at them in the same breath Interested in topics. Instead, the show should (and will be) driven to success by a target group that is fascinated by the sadism, the ruthlessness and the immeasurable wealth of a brutal game of chance. The last episode underlines this ridiculousness impressively. A game of double standards and also pure greed for money takes place here. Artistic? Love for the medium of film? Or an affection for pop culture? None of it. I have a hard time expressing how much I hate this series because the disgust at the partying reactions takes my breath away. Our world, like ancient Rome, seems to perish on the disgusting hedonism of our time. Have fun and welcome to the Squid Games. I'm out.
81 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't get all the rave reviews
jiballini645 October 2021
I've watched the whole lot and it's just plain silly. The cast bring over-acting to a new level, all the characters are spectacularly annoying (I wanted them all to die by Episode 2) and I don't know why I watched it all. I'm sure there were far better things I could have been doing with my life. Like cleaning my bathroom or cutting my toe nails. It's really woeful.
95 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edvis-19974 October 2021
I loved it but three last episodes killed the vibe.
385 out of 586 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
mehh
zombie84-11 October 2021
Show was lame, very weirdly paced and slow. It wasnt anything new or groundbreaking eithee. Dont follow the hype either. Idk why its even as popular as it is when there is much better out there. Alice in boarderland is far better and much more intense. You dont know wtf is goin to happen in that show. This show was like escape room meets saw with battle royal but nowhere near as amazing as BR. Skip this or watch if your bored.
61 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plot-Driven, Action-Packed. Ultimately Shallow
danieljamiri20 September 2021
This is a gripping, bingeable series. Without a doubt. It is fast-paced and builds anticipation throughout.

But once the mystery fades, we see a pretty shallow set-up. Promising character development ultimately does not hold up, with some making seemingly inexplicable (but plot advancing) decisions. Other supporting characters have absolutely no-depth at all to the point of being gratingly inhuman. Other reviewers compare it to anime/cartoon. I agree.

In the end, there are enough open questions to support a second season but unfortunately not enough resolution in the first season to feel we really got the payoff we needed for putting up with all that violence.
92 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Parasite + Alice in Borderland
benimmyeo20 September 2021
One of the best K Netflix series I've seen in recent years. The plot, cinematography, and acting (with the exception of some masked caucasians in the end) was superb. Several A-list actors were in this show and the cameos by them were very well woven into the story. Looking forward to a season 2.
132 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only up to Ep 3, after multiple attempts get going
efd-1046713 October 2021
The talk and reviews have me bewildered, I'm only up to Ep3 but am struggling after about 5 attempts to start bingeing.

I find it boring and really childish, with pretty ordinary acting.

The set design, art direction and general production values are very 1970's.

Two more attempts then I'll give up.
52 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining enough, probably would have been better as a movie
HallowedEve4 October 2021
The concept is pretty good-how far would you go to win a life changing amount of money, especially when you have hit your lowest point? I think a good 2 hour movie would have worked just as well; start by cutting out the entire "VIP" nonsense. Everything else was so well scripted and designed, how did that part fail so badly? Also, I skipped the entire first 40 minutes of the first episode and lost none of the story. That tells me it was just a time filler. My only other real issue is the captions, which are pretty awful. This appears overall to be a high value production, great costumes, sets, cinematography, why skimp on something as necessary as captioning?
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
-2 stars for the VIPs
tanzhiliang3 October 2021
Please remove all traces of the VIPs and you can get the 2 stars back.
84 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Really hope there's a second season and a third
ntrkpt20 September 2021
This show is the best versions of a genre which has been done before. It's just unbelievably aesthetic, gripping and full of suspense. Some episodes are funny and some are very heavy. The season ending is perfect and fulfilling.
86 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Far from a masterpiece but good enough
bluefim6 October 2021
Let me preface: no, I am not a random person coming just to complain about something popular like the argument a lot of fans of this show make to defend it. I have seen many horror/thrillers including the death game genre, so while I thought it had a mix of fun moments and boring ones, I can't wrap my head around the hype. Many people bring up how it is similar to X game, book, movie, etc. So I'm thinking Netflix created a way for casual and non-horror viewers to get exposure to it thinking it's new or innovating.

Complaints about that aside, the first and sixth episodes are the best and the second is the worst by far with other ones somewhere between, so really the entire show was like a rollercoaster entertainment-wise for me. It is watchable for sure, but certain characters (mainly the cop) are so moronic but protected by plot and could have been done away with or re-written. Also annoying is, yes, the VIPs act horribly and, yes, everyone keeps ignoring the point of the game being there's only one winner.

In summary, was it good? Depends on personal taste. Was it genius, unique, or without flaws? Absolutely not. I didn't enjoy it enough to binge, but it made for a decent casual viewing. I'd suggest trying it yourself and forming your own opinions about it rather than listening to others about how amazing or terrible it may be.
27 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why do people even like this? I don't.
rdoubleoc23 November 2021
This country is already done if this is the greatest show of the year. This is cheap and lame, and if this is what is entertaining to people, I really fear for the future.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glossy Fare For Torture Aficionados
Geedeeb21 September 2021
There is no deeper message here. It's just the same old tropes but packaged in very expensive production. It's the premise of Saw dialed up to a hundred, with the same shadowy cabal of puppet masters and wealthy elites making the poors kill each other for sport on widescreens that we've seen in endless iterations already in the last decade, like in Escape Room to name but one example. The show likes to present itself as more cunning and introspective than it really is, when at its core it is just mean-spirited schadenfreude pantomiming as societal critique.

It looks visually very impressive, but it is so hollow and cynical that after the first few episodes it just feels like you yourself are being tortured by having to endure the never-ending meat grinder of despair. The cop's storyline is also so contrived, and induces some of the biggest eyerolls in an environment that is already straining the suspension of disbelief far beyond its maximum elasticity.

So I guess watch this if you want to feast your eyes on some majestic set pieces and also if you hate people.
112 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
WhoMadeYouGod1 October 2021
Honestly wow - from the first episode I sat wide mouthed, what am I watching and why - I didn't care.

This series is amazing, it's brutal, it made me cry - what a watch.

Suddenly you don't care about the subtitles, they pale into nothing, they don't matter - you find yourself watching this, reading effortlessly.

An amazing series, thank you!
66 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.