The Irregulars (TV Series 2021) Poster

It's based off of a graphic novel
jordanmoorebhadye26 March 2021
For anyone who is moaning and is unaware this show is based off of a graphic novel called the Baker Street irregulars. As someone who read the stories when I was younger I'd thought this was a great take on them and the mix of modern music and references is very much how the graphic novel was intended.
442 out of 658 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quirky and different
hzgvgnt26 March 2021
This is Victorian London with a modern twist and I like it. Plays on all the supernatural guff that so obsessed the Victorians and gives a nod to Sherlock-style mysteries. Don't expect a period drama and don't expect a detective story. It's a bunch of people investigating supernatural shenanigans. Suspend disbelief and just enjoy it for what it is.
189 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
True To The Graphic Novels
tmorsen27 March 2021
As mentioned in another comment, this series is based on a graphic novel and as such if you go into watching this expecting a straight up, familiar Sherlock Holmes story or even go into watching it hoping it'll be a new Supernatural of sorts, then yes, you will be disappointed. However with that said, since I did enjoy reading through those graphic novels as a teen prior to this show being made, I did enjoy it very much. Is it perfect? Of course not. But nothing is ever necessarily perfect for everybody. Could the music be better? Absolutely, though I also found it to help kind of redefine the life of the older and infused it with the new. No TV series or movies based on any literature are going to be 100% of what you hoped for after reading them. But this was a pretty good start. It's worth the chance as long as you give it a fair one and leave your expectations for preconceived notions about what you think it'll be at the door. Simply enjoy the experience.
210 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting concepts, poor execution.
Jude198728 March 2021
I love detective and supernatural stories, and I am easily bought with a little intrigue and thrill, but this show has neither, and I blame the writers.

Sure, the performance of the actors is not great, but they can only do so much when the script is so terrible.

Some comments suggest that people don't like it because they don't know the source material and come in with the wrong expectations. I don't believe that to true, at least not in my case.

Throughout the watch, when I wasn't cringing at the the dialogues, I was annoyed by the many plot holes that stop me from enjoying pretty much anything. And the editing and music aren't good either, especially the music, seriously, why?

I am on the last episode, and I don't recommend this show to anyone.
192 out of 296 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The music, please!
silmeimes27 March 2021
Me as a Cinema addict, I believe that the music can make a whole difference in a production.

This series could have had a lot of potential if it wasnt for the bad choice of soundtrack, that destroyed the mystery atmosphere, which was essential for the genre and plot.

Just because the characters are young, it doesnt mean that they need to be followed by millenial music along the story.

Those characters deserve respect. They deserve a proper soundtrack to lead them along the mystery of the series.

This production could be so much better......
258 out of 405 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made it 15 Minutes...
cynchick71-411-4747551 April 2021
Here's the thing about fiction: people will willingly suspend their disbelief about the existence of magic, monsters, mythical beasts, gods and demons, superheroes etc. That's the point of fantasy, to accept and embrace the fantastical. But people are NOT so willing to accept absurdity within the context of our actual defined reality. If you're going to have a story set within Victorian London, it needs to at least attempt to resemble Victorian London, and NOT just with pretty costumes and set pieces. When every character speaks and behaves in ways that a person of that time would never think to do...to say it's anachronistic doesn't begin to cover it. The dialogue could have been straight out of Riverdale.

I usually give a bad show at least through the first episode, but I couldn't do it this time. My impression (first and last) is that this show is only cosplaying Victorian England, an old-timey set dressing to facilitate yet another teenage drama. Fans of Sherlock Holmes and/or period pieces will probably not like this show.
184 out of 290 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Victorian England It's Not
gbkimberley26 March 2021
I tried, I really did. But this badly written, poorly acted and unrealistically set piece of twaddle, had me cringing and rolling my eyes far too many times in the first episode to make me want to watch any more. It doesn't even feel like it's set in Victorian England. It feels more like some lame attempt at a steampunk version of a school play. Another miss for Netflix.
343 out of 556 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Based on graphic novel not Conan Doyle's work!
dklecan29 March 2021
Once u accept that premise, it's a great show. Everyone loved the Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes version, where his use of internet helped solve the murders. Why can't everyone accept a group of diverse teens doing likewise using their skills in Victorian England to solve them?

One of my guilty pleasures is Sean Connery in a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The Irregulars reminds me of this. Forget your ingrain knowledge of Sherlock Holmes, sit back and enjoy this plucky group of teens as they try to climb out of the soul sucking life of Victorian England and solve several mysteries plus the main overarching one.

Unlike the yucky angst of most CW teen show, these kids, led by the amazing main character of Bea, work together to solve not only the mysteries provided to them by the enigmatic Dr. Holmes, but the crazy relationship between Holmes and Watson and their connection with these two men.

Look at the title, The Irregulars, because this show is about them with Sherlock merely playing a pivotal, but minor flawed role. Grab snacks and just enjoy the Irregulars, cause it is a fun, mysterious, horror stream-worthy show.
103 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad!
whitepage26 March 2021
Reading the bad reviews is more entertaining that watching the show itself.
357 out of 595 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than most of the reviews say!
steve-164-36232028 March 2021
Saying something isn't historically accurate, when a show is dealing with a Sherlock Holmes universe and supernatural is completely idiotic. The show is fun, entertaining and something different. Most of the characters have an arc that is quite interesting and while some of the back story of some of the characters is a bit too much, overall it is okay. Each episode is a story in of itself and continues the narrative. Criticizing a show or fans of the show for being "woke", says more about you and less about the show, it is supposed to be fun entertainment not a documentary about London in the late 1800's.
197 out of 333 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Hackneyed Unoriginals
shlomzion630 March 2021
If you want Gothic horror in Victorian London with the gloves off, read "From Hell". If you want a really good Sherlock Holmes continuation, read "The House of Silk". If you want a great recreation of Victorian London, watch "Dickensian". If you pine for a cack-handed, adolescent, tin-eared, über woke, anachronistic pile of tosh like something out of Bunty but with bad language watch this series.
124 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like it
deznii26 March 2021
A few episodes in and I'm enjoying it.. It may be a teenage thing but I'm 52 and looking forward to watching more..
153 out of 262 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite bad
mypersonalspambox28 March 2021
The trailer looked good, but once you start watching you quickly realise the show has no substance whatsoever. The music clashes with the period the show is supposed to represent, and actors aren't doing a good job to represent the feel of Victorian London either. The way they "banter" amongst themselves feels like a bunch of A-level kids from 2021 decided to have themselves a themed dress-up party rather than a period drama.

Ah yes, I also don't like the main female character, I guess she is is supposed to walk the tropes of the "Independent Woman" and "The Leader" archetypes, but instead she rubbed off as being boorish, vulgar and extremely rude. As I was watching her I couldn't help but keep thinking of the fact that people bursting with such amounts of insolence would get totally destroyed in 19 century society.
91 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Netflix teeny show.
stellansson28 March 2021
Is it horrible? No. Does teens seriously actually like this? I have no idea. I can still rewatch an episode of Buffy and smile but this is just too stupid.
86 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just weak if have have to be honest.
crims1234527 March 2021
3 EP in and i was already bored to death...The music clashes with the setting, the history itself so far it's very weak, i tought this was supposed be horror from the preview from netflix (Okay maybe this is not the shows fault, but it is someone fault !) Also sure maybe i was not the target audience (27 years old for reference), but even so.everything just seem so contradictory.

I guess i never find a replacemnt for Penny Dreadfull, but then again that is a quite high bar to top.
141 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not cool !
acidmgt8826 March 2021
Bringing modern music like from fast furious movies is absolutely wtf moment for me.
260 out of 471 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent
charlotterosespagnol26 March 2021
I don't understand the bad reviews on here, I'm 4 episodes in and enjoying it. It's something a bit different I can imagine not everyone's cup of tea, it's quirky and the acting is decent. Well done!
234 out of 427 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is bad.
arm-5662328 March 2021
First off to address the other reviews. Some are very harsh, it isn't the worst thing I've ever seen. It's production, set and costume design is first class. The cinematography is excellent... But that is where it ends. The suspension of disbelief is broken. People seem to think if it has magic or occult is must mean all notion of rationale or reality must be void... No. If that were true why weren't one of the cast a God and negate the need for more than an episode for exposition? No. In a world where they are the "Bakers Street Irregulars" is a world still filled with many prejudices. That is why they are "irregulars." The fact they are female or are POCs has no bearing. The world designed and narrative does.

As others have said, they had a chance to show a true Victorian England whilst maintaining the fiction and fantasy - like Doctor Who with Martha meeting the Bard and him spewing out what today is racial slurs. Or like even in DC's Legends when Firestorm goes back and sees slavery first hand. These are awful parts of human history that should be remembered and not covered up. We must own our sins and our indiscretions. We must take blame and not shy away from our past because it hurts. It is meant to hurt: that is what stops us doing it again.

As for the show. The script is quite poor at times with language making no sense compared to great period pieces... The problem is if you live in the UK you have seen a million and one period dramas and most of us are familiar with how people spoke and acted in that era... This doesn't match up. The acting is good, the actors clearly have talent. The budget was big and it feels it but it also feels like this was created by people that have seen Doctor Who and A Muppets Christmas Carrol and run with it. London has so many areas rich with history and mythos that they could have really dug deep. A show called White Chapel is a good example. But I digress. The plot is somewhat predicable but with some certain... Deus Ex Machinas. The logic at times doesn't make sense... IE 2*1= ... Adults: 2 Teens: 18 because there was a secret 9 that happened because supernatural and you are old and not in touch. I can believe superman can fly, I can't believe that him changing the rotation of the earth affects time... If reading this I hope you see what I mean. We can make some leaps but too many and its starts looking "convenient".

As for the characters... Yes, I am a fan of the source material but... The characters are way more annoying in the show! They are so cheesy and there is little to none of the character development! The whole point of the original was to imbue certain morals and ethics like a fable by Aesop. Not to make political statements that ironically date a period piece... But not date it to the time it was set but the time it was produced... And that is sad. So sad.

I wouldn't say it is the worst thing I have ever watched. To me it is no worse than MCU. But when you have Sherlock that addressed the Abominable Bride with the Silent Army being women and it having a statement about the time that has bearing on today you have to compare it and say is The Irregulars anywhere near as complete? No. Nowhere near. If only they had shown what it was like for people in their position and shown people how bad it was.

It is worth having a nosey at the first episode and if it is your thing you will probably have some fun. But if you find shows like Batwoman tedious you are gonna hate this. The best thing I can say is it feels professional... But you can say that about a lot of Netflix stuff.

If you are looking for something similar might I suggest the amazing Zapped! You will come for Jay from The Inbetweeners but stay for Howell the Wizard. Yes it isn't as serious or edgy but it is a lot more entertaining!
80 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
random YA tripe
usagi-v226 March 2021
Thought this might be interesting since the Irregulars of the original Sherlock-verse are much underused. But....... ....unfortunately this is basically a publicity move to draw attention to this tripe about some intrepid urchins in Victorian London . Because otherwise this would sink even faster

Boring story, extremely bad choice of music ( Brit pop ? REALLY ? For a supernatural plot with horror elements ? ) , outwardly woke ( inwardly too^^) , but playing to every American prejudice about British society. So lets just replace one set of pre-conceptions with another .... Very wooden acting, but who cares at this point ? Did I mention American level "sensible" cursing instead of actually using proper dialect swearing.... Of course there is utterly no knowledge about historic London ( yeah no Ravens in London.... sure.... not even taking a dig on the layout of that fictitious London ) British Society, the Sherlock-verse in general.... ok why do I expect anything but "trash" from a Netflix series anymore ? I truly wonder why I watched more than one Episode. Must be the fact that there is a pandemic outside,,

But I feel sorry for the electrons involved in transmitting this drivel.
241 out of 444 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magic and Anachronism, and your problem is the race of the Actors?
kainsbishop27 March 2021
This is based off of a Graphic Novel- Interesting story lines, keeps my attention; it's fun!

Sherlock Holmes has been a jumping off point for hundreds of stories; this one does Doyle's characters no disservice, just an interesting spin.

Good production values, good acting- enjoyable.
214 out of 393 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringe Worthy
michigan_football28 March 2021
Dont waste your time there is nothing good here. There are so many better shows to watch based in the time period. Just like super hero movies , this is so over done.
74 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a good series!
Nicole24426 March 2021
I honestly don't understand the hate for this show. It's entertaining, with good visuals and plot. It has mistery, supernatural, and a mix between historic London with modern elements in production (e.g. Music). Without comparing it to any other show, this is binge-watching worthy.

Stop giving hate online just cause you have access to internet and can type crap from a keyboard. Respect the work that has been put in this show (and any show in general), and don't take away the interest of others from it. Target audience might be indeed young adults, but as an adult I still find this pretty entertaining. :)
144 out of 261 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One star is flattery
antony-6930 March 2021
Netflix is always ridiculous or sublime. Unfortunately, this is the former. Couldn't even make it through the first episode. I don't mind if a cast is diverse. I don't mind the stylised infusion of modern music in to Victorian London. What I mind is shambolic storylines, hammy acting and horrendous special effects. Avoid at all costs!
79 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another expensive disappointment
gb_vn30 March 2021
I tried to watch the first episode 3 times and I barely made it to 15 minutes.. Bad acting, boring, irrelevant music.. I can't understand how can they keep making these high budget shows and movies and end up with unwatchable content. I binged their cheesy sitcom Country Comfort in 1 night and I enjoyed it, but this one is a huge let down and waste of money.
60 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netfix keeps on making more Original garbage
TrioHaydos27 March 2021
This is definitely one of the worst shows I have ever watched... Avoid it like a plague. There really isn't anything else I want to say to justify my reaction.
127 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.