The Pebble and the Boy (2021) Poster

Mod inspired
BandSAboutMovies17 November 2021
Directed and written by Chris Green (Me, Myself and Di; Strangeways Here We Come), The Pebble and the Boy is a mod-influenced comedy starring Patrick McNamee, Sacha Parkinson, Max Boast (Sex Education), Ricci Harnett, Jesse Birdsall and most familiar to American audiences, Patsy Kensit (Lethal Weapon 2, Shelter Island).

The film's protagonist, John, is taking his father's ashes from Manchester to Brighton, the spiritual home of the mods, riding his dad's Lambretta scooter. With a title taken from a Paul Weller song and music by Weller, The Style Council, Secret Affair, the Chords, The Electric Stars, Wintergreen, Jennifer Knowles and Casino, Sammie Harris and SPINNER, this is a great sounding movie. It also finds Paul growing up, learning the truth about his family and maybe winning over Nicki (Sacha Parkinson), a girl he meets in his travels.

Maybe the mod culture doesn't translate to our shores, but regardless, I had plenty of fun watching this. I won't be buying a scooter, but I may be listening to the soundtrack a few times.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only for the soppy mod squad.
radhrh16 November 2021
The soppy mod squad get all sentimental riding around on their lawn mower engined child's toys and give this distinctly average offering a perfect 10/10.

Meanwhile, back in the real world....

There is just so much terribly wrong with this movie from the brand new patches on the protagonist's dad's parka to the 5mph top speed of the scooters. The soundtrack is lame AF, the amateur dramatics "acting" is embarrassing, the mistaken belief that Brighton is "mod meca" ( I lived in Brighton for a year and never saw a mod ), the lazy script and general repetitive nature of the plot; every time the protagonists encounter a set back some kind soul helps them out. It all adds up to a soul destroying mash up of a movie that everyone involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for making.
5 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nostalgic
goodalan-8219118 November 2021
Good movie, anyone giving this movie a low rating has no idea about movie making. It was original and nostalgic. Showing how life was in the World of mods and rockers.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mod film, nope!
marks7005 December 2021
As an old mod, I looked forward to this.

However, Quadrophenia it isn't. Not even near it. Neither is it a future cult classic. It's a pretty average film. The acting isn't too bad for the most part but it doesn't reach the real mod feel.

If you're gonna reach out to mods, make a film that gives them what they want. Proper mod gear, proper styling because that's what's important to mods.

Soundtrack could have been better too.

Overall, pretty average.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phew! Not another Quadrophenia wannabe!
tanya-duffy20 September 2021
I always have reservations when a new Mod film is released, they always try to be the next Quadrophenia and fail miserably! Pleased to say, this is not one of those films and I loved it!

Set in today's times with a simple feel good plot, this film has all the makings of being a true British Classic!

From start to finish the loveable characters take you on a heartwarming emotion journey to Brighton.

Watch out for these great new young actors, they should go far!

Finally it was great to see the lovely Jesse Birdsall (an old crush from 'The Fear' & 'Eldorado' days). I hope to see more of you soon!!

Anyway that's it for now... go see it NOW!
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Boy and the Girl road trip
dlbblades23 November 2021
Some great tunes and an excellent cast makes this a really enjoyable road trip film. A Sunday afternoon feel good film, enjoyable from start to finish. Try not to think of this along the lines of quadrophenia and you will enjoy it. A pretty basic story that rides along stylishly with lots of familiar faces along the way. Don't bother listening to the bad reviews and make your own mind up. Oh and everyone knows Brighton is the go to capital of Mods young and old. (Skinhead reviewer)
Tripe
fletch-440-10513521 November 2021
Really wanted to like this but it was absolute cringe, the only half decent was the sound track. Some of the acting was quite appalling, I thought the young girl did the best job.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome
adrianking-6897816 November 2021
Great nod to quadrophenia and brilliant acting, also a reminder we are not here forever the film honed in on that relentlessly, highly recommended this film.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been so much better
jaykayshat17 November 2021
Been waiting for this to come out ever since it was announced. It wasn't worth the wait. Music was ok and great to see the mod clothing and scooters but the acting is atrocious. The bloke that was Carlton Leach in Rise of the Footsoldier is so bad that I nearly turned it off, he must be trying to compete with Danny Dyer for the worst Cockney bad acting award. I wasted 10 pounds on Apple TV for this.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see mod movie.
tracieanncook16 September 2021
This film was worth the wait, really liked the young characters in the film. Ticks all the mod movie boxes so mods will love it. Its storyline is good so it's a film which will be enjoyable for anyone who can relate to ever being a teenager too.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit limp.
casinclair15 September 2021
Sorry, I don't get the 10/10 thing. Must be me. It failed as a road movie, just not enough road shots and those that were there were clearly at about 5 mph in a park, too many convenient coincidences eased their path. The premise was fine, but too many angst ridden teenager shots. The final denouement was painful and, frankly, a bit cruel.

The Kensit attempted seduction thing. Dearie me.

Nice music, but not enough made of it. Sorry, not for me.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must watch you won't be disappointed
helbel754 September 2021
Not a Mod and went not knowing what to expect however this film didn't disappoint! Good soundtrack, fantastic acting. The Pebble and the Boy had sentiment and humour and is a great watch!
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Punches heavily above its financial weight!
jblakeborough6 September 2021
A superb, honest and well put together small budget film which punches heavily above its financial weight.

The thing I like most about the film is its use of the mod culture is used to 'dress' the story of the film. Its done with just the right amount of respect and honesty, not over the top at all. Its perhaps a testament to the strength of the script and the performances of the actors that this happens.

I think anyone involved in mod culture and scootering will love this film but more so it's just a superb feel good road movie story of a young man, as he's grows up through learning about his fathers past and the characters he encounters along the way.

Some great photography, a really thoughout storyline with some genuinely moving and at times very funny parts send this film on its way into your heart.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A future cult classic!
parnill27 August 2021
It's always a gamble when you choose to watch a micro budget movie but once again the writer/director, Chris Green, punches well above his weight.

The Pebble and the Boy is a beautifully shot film with a mix of nostalgia with a modern twist, a strong female lead and a sound track to die for.

We'll worth a watch.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SUPER FILM!!
suewarburton2 September 2021
I thoroughly enjoyed this film, superb casting, a mixture of humour, emotion, nostalgia and twist & turns to keep you transfixed! The music is great, one of those films you would watch twice! Well done to the writer, cast & crew!!
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great British Film
paulthomasfulker17 September 2021
Keeping the Mod culture alive for the next generation Fun filled, a nostalgic lovely film for the whole family.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not just a soppy mod squad movie
tqek18 November 2021
This to me was a great movie, well acted, good storyline and a great soundtrack, for us old mods it's was a bit of nostalgia, has some great tracks from the jam, style council, secret affair and the chords and a wee cameo from mani from the stone roses.
What a film
bud-6100918 November 2021
With a small budget and cast all I have to say is what a Great Film, the acting was spot on only grumble not long enough great soundtrack watched it five times.well done cast and crew.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful film
jonathancarl-0247228 August 2021
What a lovely heartwarming film. If you are into the mod culture or not, you will love the characters in this film, especially Sacha Parkinson who shines in every scene she is in.

It is hard to believe that this is a micro-budget film due to the excellent cast and superb cinematography that has you immersed in the story of the boy coming to terms with the passing of his father.

A feel-good road trip with an excellent soundtrack will have Paul Weller and The Jam fans smiling from ear to ear!

Go and see this on the big screen whilst you have the chance, you will remember it for a long time.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must-see
zchadfr28 August 2021
The perfect time for the perfect film to be released!
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable Road Movie.
gavin-9169228 August 2021
Great fun film with strong female lead character in Sacha Parkinson. Brings back memories of misfiring scooters and great music, well worth a night out!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable and easy watching!
hsgbjrpf28 August 2021
Really enjoyed this film a pleasure to watch and memories come flooding back! 👏👏👏👏
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable film, worth a watch
ktee-6022229 August 2021
I enjoyed watching this film, I found it funny and enjoyed the subject matter as I love all things mod and love the Jam and Paul Weller. I would have liked more music tracks to be played throughout the film, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend if you are a mod fan.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful film
racheldollysmith30 August 2021
Went with my Mod husband on Friday evening in Brighton. Wasn't really sure what to expect but he was so excited about seeing this film.

The film has a great story, the young actors were amazing and we laughed and cried throughout the film.

We left the cinema feeling like the writer and director and cast had put their hearts and souls into making this film.

If you want to go and see a simply beautiful film this year The Pebble and the Boy is a must see.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light, funny and heartwarming
sgs-5690230 August 2021
I really enjoyed this. It's a light, coming of age tale which invokes distant memories of Quadrophenia but only by association. The crux of the tale is a road trip undertaken by John to scatter his father's ashes at Brighton beach. He is aided by the feisty Nicki, brilliantly portrayed by Sacha Parkinson who adds some real class and comic timing to the proceedings. Jessie Birdsall also has a pivotal and poignant cameo. The music isn't as prominent as I would've liked but the story and the little mysteries uncovered along the way made for an enjoyable movie.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.