Skyfall (2012) Poster

(2012)

Billion dollar Bond
Prismark103 February 2017
Having watched every James Bond film on the big silver screen since The Spy Who Loved Me in 1977.

It was almost surreal to see Skyfall being made by an Oscar winning director, go on to win Oscars and become one of the top grossing films of all time. The billion dollar Bond.

To think back in 1989, Licence to Kill could not compete with the likes of Batman, Indiana Jones or Lethal Weapon 2 in the US box office.

Bond is presumed dead after a mission goes wrong in Istanbul as he tries to retrieve a hard drive containing a list of top agents. M is under pressure especially as it seems she is being targeted by an anonymous cyber terrorist who turns out to be a rogue agent Silva (Javier Bardem) who was once M's most effective spy.

Skyfall celebrated 50 years of the Bond films in the cinemas. It also takes liberties with the messy timeline of the film series. Daniel Craig's novice spy from Casino Royale is now a disillusioned veteran, at one point told to call it a day.

The film re-introduces some familiar characters after being away for a few films, a younger more hi-tech Q and a new Miss Moneypenny. There is also a new M hovering in the background. The film also references earlier Bond movies as part of its golden anniversary celebrations.

Although the film contains international locations, breathtaking action, some sumptuous cinematography from Roger Deakins, it flags a bit in the middle when it needed an additional action sequence.

What director Sam Mendes does bring is some character moments and making effective use of Judi Dench as she recites some Tennyson.

Unusually for a Bond film, this must be the only occasion where the villain actually achieved all of his objectives!
35 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Apart from this being my all time fav Bond film, this one is a solid action thriller with tons of atmosphere n has an old skool showdown.
Fella_shibby22 May 2021
I first saw this with my family in a theatre in 2012.

Revisited it recently on a dvd which I own.

This is my all time fav Bond film.

This is the twenty-third in the Bond series n the third to star Daniel Craig as James Bond.

This time Bond returns to service after MI6's servers are hacked and M receives a taunting computer message moments before the MI6 building explodes.

Inspite of failing a series of physical, medical, and psychological examinations, Bond returns to the field to pursue an assassin known as Patrice n to recover a stolen hard drive containing details of undercover agents which is in the hands of Patrice's employer, Raoul Silva, a cyberterrorist seeking revenge against those he holds responsible for betraying him.

I love the pre credit scene in this one, the motorcycle chase on the rooftops is awesome, the train chase sequence is adrenaline filled n the scene at The Varda Viaduct is amazeballs.

The climactic action is more old skool n filled with solid atmosphere.

The title track along with the picturization n Bond's fall from The Varda Viaduct is very gothic like.

The abandoned palatial house, the vast moors, the chapel, the secret passageway, the isolation n the sky almost touching the ground, is filled with top notch atmosphere.

This time Bond faces Raoul Silva n lots of his henchmen n a komodo dragon.

Bond also faces Patrice, a mercenary working for Silva.

This time Bond gets to cool off with Naomie Harris, Tonia Sotiropoulou n Berenice Marlohe.

In this movie, for the first n last time we get to see Moneypenny doing field work along with Bond and later how she opted for the iconic desktop work.
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For a life long Bond fan this is just about the best movie in the series. Has the feel of a classic Bond movie. LOVED it. I say A
cosmo_tiger5 February 2013
"He knows us. He's one of us. He comes from the same place as Bond, a place you say doesn't exist, the shadows." The world's greatest secret agent is back, but is the need for an agent outdated in today's modern world? After MI-6 is attacked and M (Dench) is brought under scrutiny by the government Bond (Craig) alone is left to find out who is behind the attack while M is trying to both help Bond and defend the need for an agency that has been compromised. I know that a review is really not needed here, being the 23rd Bond movie either you will watch it or not. I am a huge fan of the series and was really looking forward to this after hearing this is the best Bond movie yet. I have really loved the Craig movies but for some reason they never had the feel of a Bond movie to me, I wasn't sure what was missing but they didn't have the same feel. Knowing that they were re-booting the series I was lenient and with this one the re-boot is complete. This had much more of a feel of a classic Bond movie and by the end I was excited to see the next one. I got chills watching a few times and especially at the end. This had possibly the best opening and ending to a Bond movie ever. I could go on and on about this but I will just say if you love Bond you will love this, if you have never seen one then this one will make you a fan. Overall, From Russia With Love is my favorite Bond movie but this a very close second, and I think may be more re-watchable. I wanted to watch this one again as soon as the movie was over. I give this a very high A.
209 out of 318 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
007
MR_Heraclius13 February 2020
The best film in the era of Daniel Craig as James Bond. Supremely well acted. The best performances are by Craig, Dench and Bardem who are prize. Great action scenes, big issue that touches past Bond and M which little is known. Sam Mendes does a masterful job directing this installment of James Bond. Realmete with this film you can compare Danie Craig Sean Connolly.
80 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
007 reporting for duty
freemantle_uk5 February 2013
It has been a long ride for the Bond series, since the creation of the character there have been 15 novels by Ian Fleming, plenty of spin-off novels, comics, cartoons and video games and the film series is now 50 years old. There have been an extraordinary 23 official films, but few as extraordinary as Skyfall.

After a mission goes wrong in Istanbul, MI6 loses a hard drive containing a list of all NATO agents within terrorist cells, and James Bond (Daniel Craig) is presumed Killed in Action. M's (Judi Dench) competence is questioned and the Chairman of the Intelligence and Security Committee, Gareth Mallory (Ralph Fiennes) plans to replace her. Making matters worse, a cyber-terrorist targets MI6 and M personally, getting a hold of the list and causing an explosion within MI6's headquarters. An older, more damaged Bond then returns to duty to serve Queen and Country, having to prove he is in shape before going on the search to find the terrorist.

Skyfall is a long-awaited film thanks to MGM's financial woes, but it delivers. Skyfall takes a darker approach as we've seen with the past couple films and it's very character driven, yet Sam Mendes and the screenwriters still provide a massive injection of fun. Like most Bond films, Skyfall starts with an incredible chase sequence in Istanbul and continues strongly from then on, including a very stylish silhouette fight in Shanghai. The action scenes sequences were pristinely shot and practical effects were at the forefront.

A challenge for the Bond series has always been real-world relevance. The series has faced down all challenges, from the end of the Cold War to the War on Terror. Skyfall tackles the changing nature of espionage. MI6 is no longer the shadowy organisation that the British government denied existed; it has to face the realities of the 24-hour media age we live in and the democratic accountability that incurs.

The nature of the threats have changed, Bond faces a cyber-terrorist and along with the new Q, both could cause more damage than Bond can. In the real world, we have seen what Anonymous is capable of and seen how the Stuxnet worm affected the Iranian nuclear program. But there is always a need for people in the field to investigate. As M says, she is scared of this new world because many of the West's enemies are now faceless and nationless, and this element can work in the series' favour. Versatility has always been a Bond hallmark, which is why it is so enduring.

Skyfall also goes full circle for Bond, as the filmmakers reintroduce popular characters, gadgets and humour. In Casino Royale, Bond is a young man who is bold, arrogant and reckless but can get the job done; in Skyfall, Craig is playing an older Bond who is both physically and emotionally vulnerable.

The idea of an older Bond was briefly touched on in the unofficial film Never Say Never Again, but that was more to accommodate a 52-year-old Sean Connery being in the role. In Skyfall there is actual thematic reasons behind it. Craig gives another excellent performance, cementing his reputation as both a great actor and a great Bond, and the script treats him more as a character than an archetype. Along with M's character arch, the film tackles a theme of facing the past so it can be cleansed.

The casting of Javier Bardem was a coup for the series and we as Bond fans are rewarded with a great villain. Bardem makes out Raoul Silva to be a man with seemingly camp mannerisms, but the master planner has a very sinister delivery. He has a complex, tragic background but he is not like other Bond villains looking for control, world domination, money or even self-preservation: he simply wants revenge.

Skyfall is a great milestone to celebrate Bond's 50th birthday on film, and the Easter eggs for fans aren't overbearing, but rather nice touches. The last anniversary Bond film, Die Another Day, was a disaster and regarded as one of the worst Bond films. It felt like it had to keep referencing the previous films. Skyfall features a few major references to previous Bond films: Bond getting injured (The World is Not Enough), Bond faking his death (You Only Live Twice), the gun that can only work with Bond's palm print (Licence to Kill) and a similar villain to the one in Goldeneye. But these are references you would want to find, not being forced upon you.

Skyfall felt very much like end of one chapter and the start of a new one. Mendes and the writers were able to reintroduce many tropes of the Bond series and still give them a modern and believable twist. For a film that has a 143-minute running time (the second longest Bond film), Skyfall never felt like it dragged and it was an exciting, entertaining film.

Please visit www.entertainmentfuse.com
183 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How safe do you feel?
hitchcockthelegend5 December 2012
Bond 23 and 007 has to literally come back from the dead when a stolen hard-drive makes M (Dench) look bad at a time when a face from her past comes homing into blood thirsty view.

There is one sure fire fact in cinema that nobody can dispute, that of there never ever being a James Bond film that all Bondphiles will agree on. From each corner of the spectrum will come arguments that said Bond film is not gritty enough, not fun enough, not enough sex, not enough action, not enough fantastical stunts and etc etc etc. Well that's fine of course, we all have our peccadilloes we prefer in our Bond movies, but we do live in different times now, the world has changed, and so has Bond. You may not get the ultimate Bond you want, but this is a 21st Century Bond and a new era of 007 is upon us, something which makes Skyfall even the more bolder and braver because it marks the 50th anniversary by blending the old with the new and mostly achieving brilliant results.

Skyfall allows us to bathe in nostalgia whilst also forcing us to re- evaluate just where we are at in terms of our beloved super secret agent. One of the great things about this Bond is that there is a bubbling under current of time's importance delicately perched on each side of James Bond's shoulders. Is he (and M etc) outdated? Or is the future still in need of such operatives/organisations? Director Mendes and his team don't take any of the easy options that were clearly available to them to answer the question, they instead build a film around Bond and M as characters, embrace the traditions of the series and hit us hard in head and heart.

The plot of Skyfall as written is simple, absolutely nailed on it is straight and true to Hollywood conventions, but what fills out the simple plot is a series of Bondian delights, thrills spills and emotionally splintered kills. The stunning pre-credits sequence sees Bond traverse the rooftops of Istanbul on a motorcycle and then fight on top of a speeding train. Only to then find himself expendable. Which leads to Daniel Kleinman's title credits sequence that is filled with ominous portents of death and blood, in turn backed by the wonderfully Bondian of old title song warbled by Adele. It's clear at this point that this Bond movie is nodding to traditional values whilst promising to deliver some emotional pain. And so it proves.

A washed up Bond enters the fray, and he convinces, he's dishevelled, unshaven and unfit, but he's still a tough bastard who can drink hard and stare a scorpion down. He'll be back soon, we know this, and he will be in wonderful physical shape, and loyal to his surrogate mother for sure. Ah, but there's the adversary on the scene now, a villain to finally give Craig's Bond something to fret about. It's Javier Bardem's (perfect) Silva, a cyber terrorist with a shock of blonde hair, a nasty dental trick and a devilish sexiness that unnerves during an interrogation scene; to which Bond cheekily opens up some wink wink possibilities. There is other sexual tension in the film as well, not just a steamy shower scene, but the ongoing banter with Naomie Harris' (excellent) Eve that positively fizzes with smirking innuendo.

But ultimately this comes down to the love between a man and a woman, the kind that is so different to the type that has so often underpinned a Bond movie. Bond will kill or be killed for M, and how marvellous to see a director really able to give Judi Dench the direction she so deserves, and Bond, in Craig's magnetic and gritty hands, responds in kind to deliver a last half hour as good as any in the 50 years of Bond on film. As we know, all turf is Bond's turf, but this time it really is HIS turf, and as a little back story comes seeping out, Bond gets to exorcise some demons whilst kicking considerable ass. Get ready Bondphiles, this has the emotional wallop only seen in the best Bond movies of old.

All the Bondian trappings are still here, exotic locales, gorgeous women, speeding vehicles, fights, stupendous stunts, bizarre lairs and balls out machismo. It's also funny! I myself commented when reviewing Quantum of Solace that it was pretty ace as an action film, but for many it's not Bondian enough, and the truth of the matter is Bond still needs to have a degree of fun, no matter how grim and gritty the story line is. Thankfully Skyfall is often a blast, with Craig (surely convincing even the most stubborn of dissenters how good a Bond he is) having the confidence and skill to lace his Bond's macho broody instinct with a desert dry wit and shrug of the shoulders nonchalance. Other side of the camera the tech credits are high, with Deakins proving to be one of the aces in the pack. His capturing of vistas, be it a neon city scape or a mountainous valley, are eye delights, his colour tones are beautiful, I promise you, nobody these days does golden browns like Deakins.

It's not the masterpiece that I or gazillions of others hoped for, and it does have flaws (new Q a bit too geeky safe, finale lacks a substantial battle with the villain) and it remains simple in plot, but it's Bond's birthday and the birthday boy has been done proud by the makers. It's a new era Bond for sure, but that most definitely isn't a bad thing, it knows its past and it now knows its future, and without doubt we all still know the name. 9/10
71 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Competently directed but full of plot holes and strange narrative decisions
tomgillespie20026 January 2013
After a botched MI6 operation in Istanbul, a lone mercenary, Patrice (Ola Rapace), escapes with a computer file containing details about undercover agents working within terrorist organisations. James Bond is accidentally shot by his partner Eve (Naomie Harris) and believed to be dead. Back in London, M (Judi Dench) finds her position threatened by Gareth Mallory (Ralph Fiennes), who urges her to retire in the aftermath of Istanbul. When the MI6 headquarters are bombed following a threatening cyber-message to M, Bond returns, facing questions about his mental state and his physical ability. But when Patrice is tracked down, an assassination leads Bond to a casino in Macao, owned by cyber- terrorist Raoul Silva (Javier Bardem), a former colleague of M's. If I can say off the bat, I've always been in favour of this re- invention of Bond. As the 'old' Bond films were progressing, they were becoming gradually more ridiculous and fantasy-laden, leading to the inexplicable invisible car in Pierce Brosnan's last film as Bond, Die Another Day (2002). The films seemed to be losing sight of Ian Fleming's source novels, and although they remained commercial hits, Brosnan's outings (with the exception of GoldenEye (1995) were becoming increasingly dire. Casino Royale set the tone early with a moody black- and-white sequence that gave birth to Daniel Craig's colder, brutal Bond, less concerned with how his Martini's were made than going to extreme (and illegal) lengths to bring down his target(s). Royale's reinvention showed a darker side to the beloved character, yet staying with tradition, still kept him at an emotional distance. Director Sam Mendes made the bold decision to reveal more about Bond's past and childhood, risking fanboy wrath and damaging Bond's almost mythical characterisations. The main crux of the film focuses on his relationship with M, a stern authoritarian that risks career and her own soul in putting national safety and the success of a mission above the lives of her agents. Bond, being a willing soldier, follows M blindly, and when Silva announces his intention to enact revenge on M for a former betrayal, Bond takes M to his childhood home, Skyfall. Bond facing his childhood allows time to develop on Bond's tormented psyche, but it all seems quite out of place. One of the most intriguing things about Bond is his almost suicidal willingness to risk all for his job due to his almost complete lack of emotion, but Skyfall is unable to make any grand revelations so it all comes to nothing more than a distraction. (Saying that, the only previous Bond film to try and engage Bond emotionally led to one of the most devastatingly cold climaxes in the series' history in the underrated On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)). As well as the Bourne series, it seems that Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy (2005-2012) is a major influence on this film in particular. Mendes delves deeper into the workings and hierarchy of MI6, rather than just a boss sat behind a desk, and adds a modern, more 'real' bad guy in Silva to the mix (even stealing the Joker's voluntary arrest in The Dark Knight (2008)). Silva is a technical genius, able to hack MI6's database with relative ease, and also proving himself more resourceful and intelligent than Bond and M realise. Bardem is wonderful in the role (as you would expect), but sadly his character is not. Labelling him simply as a cyber virtuoso seems like a very lazy way to allow Silva to repeatedly outwit MI6 and their own technical marvel Q (Ben Whishaw) to the point where you wonder if Britain's finest could really be so stupid. The film is therefore full of plot-holes and distracting MacGuffin's that stretches out the running time to more than it really needs to be. Skyfall also asks a lot of the audience, especially when it comes to suspending their belief. Before the frankly bizarre opening sequence appears and we are treated to Adele's drab title song, we witness an already wounded Bond get shot with a rifle and fall over 300 feet from the Varda Viaduct into water, only to emerge alive and romancing a mystery woman. No explanation is given as to how he manages to survive the ordeal, and given the revelations about Bond's diminishing physical prowess, it seems rather insulting. As questions are raised by his superiors over Bond's ability to his job given his age (it must be the grey in his stubble), Bond is put through various tests in which he struggles with, yet half way through the film, this seems to be simply put aside as he competently shoots and fights his way through various bad guys. Again, no real explanation given. Like I stated before, the most suitable word to describe this film would be underwhelming, especially with the critical adoration that the film was lavished with. The action scenes are dull, with nothing matching the free-jumping opening of Royale. They are also quite strange - was anyone expecting a henchman to be eaten by a CGI Komodo dragon? How about death by underwater funky chicken? It all leads to a very unsatisfying climax at Skyfall, where a simple shoot-out and foot chase fail to justify a 2 hour-plus build-up. It feels like the entire film is building up to an explosive climax that never comes. I found the whole experiencing really quite baffling, with the attempts to mix the old with the new Bond never really convincing or flowing. The film is competently directed by Mendes however, and everything looks suitably crisp and clean. What direction all of this means for Bond, I don't know, but given the film is currently the 14th highest-grossing film of all time, and the film somehow being lauded by critics and audiences alike, it won't be too long until Craig dons the suit once again.
246 out of 480 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
These Films Could Use Some Tightening Up!
Hitchcoc7 January 2014
I began watching Bond films with "Dr. No." I have been thrilled, disappointed, exhilarated, bored, and challenged. The best Bond movies are the ones that have a cohesion, despite the action sequences. There were times when I wondered if the producers packaged these by the pound. How many ridiculous chase scenes can you cram into a space. That's OK sometimes because these films have a sense of humor and an in-your-face craziness that is a hallmark. However, it's the space that may be a problem. The later films are just too long. When a confrontation takes twenty minutes to resolve, you need a program to try to remember the big picture. This one suffers from the same affliction. While things do eventually resolve themselves, we are led all over the place where distraction is the result. I must say that I stayed pretty interest throughout, but at times I began to look at my watch, wanting to cut to the chase. I like Daniel Craig. He seems to be a more complex Bond than some of the others, but the screenplays need editing and the action sequences more under control.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Bond film, this is the Anti-Bond film
A_Different_Drummer11 September 2013
It is one thing to deconstruct a film genre, a genre that has reached the level of dynasty, to make it better. It is an entirely different matter to do so merely because you can, to show off your own power, and to leave the genre in tatters. Sam Mendes is incapable of making a film that is not dazzling to the eye. He is a visual artist of the highest calibre and possibly one of the greatest directors living today. Similarly the lead actors are incapable of delivering a performance that is less than stellar given the scripts they are handed. But the praise ends there. This is not a Bond film. This is an anti-Bond film. Notice kind reader that every task Bond is handed in the script ends in failure. Don't shoot the messenger, just watch the film. Notice that at some point Mendes became momentarily self-aware of what he was doing by bringing, out of nowhere, using the magic of film, the Aston Martin DB7 from a half-century ago, fully fuelled and ready to go, with the old Bond theme for accompaniment. But he just couldn't go through with it. The moment (the self-aware moment) passed and he went back to Plan A, the Anti-Bond film, and, in one of the most gratuitous but Freudian moments ever seen, blew the car to bits. Just like he blew the Bond formula to bits. I know what you are thinking. You thinking that an artist has license to do all this if the end result is entertaining and satisfying. True. But this film is as satisfying to the viewer as a car wreck. Visuals aside, it is hollow and leave a strange taste in the palate. Shame.
44 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Bond for a new era
FSfilmblog2 February 2013
A James Bond film made for the modern era, you'd be hard pressed to find any other film series able to stand the test of time and still feel relevant. When it looks like it's lagging behind the competition of the other spy action thrillers, the makers have taken note and re-invented the mould, making it more real and exciting.

To me, Bond had too much of a rigid formula, the cars, the chases, the girls, the gadgets, the megalomaniac villain's and the spectacular set pieces/stunts. After a while though, the older films seem to suffer from a sense of deja vu. It's a case of been there, done that. The structure of the films have become stale and repetitive. Same plot about a group of criminals/organisation hell bent on world domination/destruction, with a beautiful bond girl in tow, Bond and or Bond girl gets capture, ridiculous car chase or stunts with a million of cheesy one liners. Frankly, I had pretty much given up on the Bond films. They have become predictable and tedious with only the change of location to give the film any sort of distinction.

The plot of Skyfall is unlike previous Bond films, starts with the routine chase resulting in Bond being shot and wounded, believed to be dead by MI6. When an attack on MI6 headquarters manifest through a cyber attack and a bombing at the headquarters, Bond returns to uncover who is behind the assault. Struggling from his gun shot wound, Bond has to prove his fitness mentally and physically through some rigorous tests. Sent back into action without being fully fit, Bond embarks on the mission to expose the mastermind. What Bond discovers is a villain who happens to be ex-agent who has a vendetta against M and will stop at nothing to kill her.

First thing you'll notice is the lack of gadgets and the usually bond girl (there is one of sorts but you'll understand when you watch it). Also with a villain who is suave yet as equally menacing as Hannibal Lector, we have a loose cannon who isn't after the world but revenge. It's spy vs spy and the story is more of a evolution of the characters that inhabit the world of Bond. Nods to older Bond films crop up from dialogue, props and even the classic Austin Martin car makes an appearance. It's a homage as well as a resurrection of well known characters.

What we are given here is a Bond with more layers to him and more emotions. Daniel Craig has moulded a Bond who is more relateable. Signs of physical and emotional weakness shows us a Bond who is no longer a super spy with little or no vulnerability. Other characters are given more screen time and provide an emotion gravitas (We are also introduced to Q, a young model who is still wet behind the ears).

In the hands of Sam Mendes and Director of photography Roger Deakins, there has never been a more beautiful shot Bond film. During Bond's fight with a criminal minion we see only their silhouettes, but the eye is drawn to the beauty of the neon Shanghai backdrop. The reserve can be said for the grime, dour and rainy streets of London which captures our the United Kingdom perfectly.

It's a satisfying and enjoyable film, with plenty of action and a surprising emotional core to the narrative. A great development in characters with seeds being sown to allow for a more relateable and mature story telling and for future characters to come to the fore. Skyfall has made me fall in love with Bond films again so here's hoping there's no more rigid formula and routine mundane narratives of past.
69 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the reviews say but still good
catdogmanfish17 August 2021
Like alot of Bond films this movie can drag, so let's get that out of the way first. The Villain is pretty lackluster, the film feels disjointed at times, and the third act plays out like Home Alone.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow!
anders-rock25 October 2012
This is one of the best Bond movies I have ever seen. The story is superbly put together and has some interesting twists, the action is well done and contains none of the shaky cam which plagued the last film. The actors all do a great job. Some might still be put off by Daniel Craig's rough version of Bond, but I like it and he even has a few good old fashioned one-liners here. I wasn't sure about Javier Bardem as the villain at first. I thought he was a tad too flamboyant but eventually he grew on me, plus he had a very interesting backstory and as you might have guessed already, Judi Dench is fantastic as usual as M and she even has more to do in the story this time arround. This is not a completely formulaic Bond movie. Craig's bond is still more emotional than Connery or Moore ever were and for the first time we get some relatively detailed descriptions of his childhood. And something happens to Bond in the start of the movie that affects him for the rest of the film. But despite all that there are tons of James Bond trademarks like the martini, the introduction and even Q. Some might not like this new very young version of Q but I found him to be funny and very likable. They will never top Desmond Llewelyn's original performance, and instead of making a cheap Llewelyn clone, they make a completely different character which I think is the only right thing to do. This is not only a great Bond movie but just a downright great film.
392 out of 729 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mission Success
ChristianUnchained10 November 2012
The Short: Skyfall is exciting, tense, action packed and surprisingly beautiful. The perfect way to conclude 50 years of the incredible Bond legacy.

Bond is back, baby.

Skyfall is here; the highly anticipated next chapter in the much loved and respected Bond film legacy. And to much delight, Skyfall is no cash-in...this is a full fledged, action packed, and thoroughly conclusive Bond experience like no Bond film before it.

Daniel Craig returns as the stoic James Bond, but this time he is a more vulnerable James Bond than before. The story takes Bond to and company to very interesting places, and the set pieces that follow are incredibly memorable (partly because of the superb cinematography). The finale is especially incredible; it oozes style. Judi Dench is as classic as ever, Ralph Fiennes is excellent, and Javier Bardem is an incredibly complex and sinister: he is equal parts flamboyant and insane. The only weak link here is Naomie Harris. Her introduction is far too brief to get the time to like the character, and her humor is pretty bad. She becomes better as the film moves along, but nothing to the level of past Bond girls.

The action scenes are incredibly well shot and feature some of the best choreography since the Bourne trilogy. Like before, the finale is one of the best of the series, no doubt. It is explosive, intense, thoroughly satisfying and concludes a chapter in the Bond universe. The second half of the film also brings back some classic Bond ideas, and I'll keep it at that. If you have been in love with Bond series as long as I have, ever since childhood, you'll be giddy in your seat!

The soundtrack is also really great, and the new music added fits the mood well. Adele's intro song is surprisingly good. Also, the classic intro scene style is back, and it is very, very cool.

Now, Bond's latest isn't without some faults. Like mentioned before, Naomie Harris isn't great. Some of the humor is really hit or miss. There are a couple of small plot holes. All of these are little things, but keep this movie from being perfect. That being said, these things won't hurt the experience for all, and they do little to mar the overall experience.

Summing up my feelings for Bond's latest is simple: Skyfall is such a good film. Aside from a few nagging little issues, Skyfall couldn't be better. It's filled with memorable action scenes, great characters, impressive cinematography and an unforgettable finale. It carries that same level of cheesiness that Bond films are well known for, and that same brand of humor is back. It's classic Bond in a new era, directed with expertise and style.

Bond's latest mission is a success.

4.5/5 - Fantastic, a must see.
95 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Back on the Bond Bandwagon
ChiSox351423 December 2012
As a lifelong James Bond enthusiast who has been extremely disappointed with the franchise's latest efforts (with the exception of Casino Royale), I was extremely pleased with this film. It strayed away from the storyline of the previous two films and I couldn't have been happier after the mediocrity of Quantum of Solace. This film has all the constituents from the Bond films that have preceded it. Big explosions, ridiculous stunts that not a single person in the history of humanity can survive, and let's not forget to mention the beautiful women that would make both genders stop and stare. So what does Skyfall have that the other Bond films don't? For the first time, we get a glimpse into our mysterious hero's dark past. Where he came from and what made him the person he is today.

Although I've always been the one to say that Sean Connery is the greatest Bond ever, I can now confess that Daniel Craig now holds that honor. Sean plays the comedic, smooth, and witty Bond to perfection while Daniel plays the mysterious, dark, and lonesome secret agent flawlessly. I will always choose a darker portrayal over a comedic one because it takes a certain mindset to depict someone of that nature. One of my favorite scenes is where Bond is sitting in a bar drinking alone. I don't care who you are or what your background is, if you are drinking by yourself in a bar, then you have issues that are haunting you. Whether you can admit it or not, you are in a dark place and that is exactly where this Daniel Craig portrayed Bond is. And I love it.

Aside from Daniel Craig, you have a cast that includes some of the finest actors that have ever graced the big screen. Javier Bardem plays a blood thirsty ex-MI6 agent out for revenge. His performance is equally as creepy and twisted as his portrayal of Anton Chigurh in "No Country for Old Men" and it is an Oscar worthy performance in my opinion. Judi Dench reprises her role as M and Ralph Fiennes and Albert Finney give important and memorable roles which I won't go further into detail about. Also two prominent figures from James bond history find their way back into the story line. Sam Mendes shows why he was the right choice to direct a film of this magnitude and along with the contribution of Oscar Nominee John Logan, Neal Purvis and Robert Wade come up with a memorable narrative after the disappointment of their last collaborating effort, Quantum of Solace.

I look forward to what the future has in store for everyone's favorite spy. If Skyfall is a sign of things to come, then I will remain incredibly optimistic about the future.
66 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Mediocre Film
ThomasColquith7 June 2021
I am a big James Bond fan, but "Skyfall" is only a mediocre film to me. I rank it as tied for the worst Bond film with "Die another Day". I gave both these films a 5/10, which is perhaps generous and influenced by my love for the series.

"Skyfall" is just not very good on many levels, if you go in with high expectations as I did due to the glowing press, you will probably be disappointed. The film is too long, too dark, too dull, with the actions scenes not great either. The best part was near the beginning when Bond is in Shanghai, China; this part features great cinematography and visual imagery, but the rest of the film goes downhill quickly. Bond uses the woman he meets here in a psychopathic way, continuing on a bad trend.

Further problems include making "M" into Bond's surrogate mother; he calls her 'mum' often. Bond and the villain seem to be two kids, one wicked, one slightly better, fighting for their mother's attention and fate. Then there is a theme of Bond being reborn in Scotland thru the action, but this whole thing just doesn't work for me in a Bond film, or any film for that matter.

So, in summary, "Skyfall" is worth a watch, but nothing to write home about.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably the best and the most offbeat of them all.
searchanddestroy-12 July 2016
I won't add much more to what it has already been told about this film. I consider it as one of the best of the whole series. At least the one which brings the more new blood to the rest of it. Even if this means to get out of the franchise. In other words, this movie doesn't look like a James Bond feature. Especially in the end. The only link between the last part and the JB franchise is the Aston Martin...Anyway, I highly prefer this one to the SPECTRE movie, which is more a classical JB film. But I also understand that many JB fans may be disappointed by this one. I respect this. Judy Dench is here at her best. yes, this is a JB film that doesn't look like the others. That's why I love it.

But don't worry, that's not an intellectual movie at all.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
99% logic free
rogerdob9 November 2012
This film is a good example of lazy writing. The story is pushed along without any consideration of reality, logic, or sense. The writers wanted something to happen...so it did...with no thought of how to make it logically happen. Computers solve all problems and can search for anything! People escape from inescapable cells without any explanation of how they did it. Elevators are, apparently, now designed so open and dangerous that people can simply jump into the cable and lift area without a problem. Motorcyles can ride on the tiled rooftops of buildings at 60 mph without ever running into the edge of the building. The list goes on and on!

We all have to suspend some belief when enjoying a movie...however, this movie takes that premise and carries it to new heights.

This movie is the worst James Bond I have ever seen.
45 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice 50th anniversary piece, for the series, and fans will love it!
Hellmant14 November 2012
'SKYFALL': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

The 50th anniversary of the James Bond series brings us the third appearance of Daniel Craig as Bond in it's twenty-third film. Judi Dench makes her seventh (and final) appearance as M in her biggest turn as the role yet. Javier Bardem also co-stars as the movie's main villain. The film was directed by Sam Mendes (of 'AMERICAN BEAUTY' fame) and written by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade (who also co-wrote the last four Bond films) as well as John Logan. The story revolves around a computer drive, with a list of British secret agents on it, falling in to the wrong hands. The movie is masterfully directed by Mendes and features more than a handful of spectacular action scenes that Bond films are loved for. One of the better films of the series.

The movie opens with Bond and another MI6 agent, named Eve (Naomie Harris), in Turkey in hot pursuit of the mercenary, Patrice (Ola Rapace), who stole the list of undercover NATO agents. Patrice escapes and Bond is believed to be killed. The MI6 commander, M (Dench), is being pressured to retire because of the incident when MI6 is hacked and eight agents are killed. Bond learns of the attack and returns to London, after letting everyone think he was dead for months, and is returned to active duty despite failing his aptitude tests (which M keeps secret, even from Bond). Bond then teams with Eve once again to find out who's responsible for the attack on MI6, as more agents are killed, and tracks the culprit to an island in China.

I've always found good Bond films to have great elaborate action scenes but to be light on pacing and excitement in between. This film is actually much faster paced than most others in the series. It's really exciting and involving all the way up to the last 40 minutes when it seems to drag a little and go on for too long. It appears to climax at about an hour and forty minutes but then unexpectedly takes another turn and continues on (somewhat needlessly) for another 40 minutes. The ending is still action packed and somewhat exciting but by the time it gets there it's ran a little low on steam. This is a flaw in my opinion but not a great one. It's still better than most other Bond films and Craig and Dench are outstanding in it once again (Bardem is also an excellent bad guy). The script is routine but a little more emotionally involving than usual, especially involving M's character, and Mendes is perfectly apt at directing a Bond film. It's a nice 50th anniversary piece, for the series, and fans will love it.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge23zs5RPrM
27 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Were You Paying Attention?
SkidMcCormick27 October 2012
Right, let's dispense with the rubbish I've had to endure over the last few months: "James Bond wasn't funny in the last 2 films". Oh, yes he was, you just weren't paying attention.

"Sam Mendes only ever does dramas, he'll be crap at action". Wrong again and Road to Perdition hinted on what he can bring to the table. Plus, if you had reservations about Sam, then you're an idiot! "Is this Daniel Craig's last outing as Bond?" No. He's contracted to do two more. In fact, why do people think this is the last Bond??? After the hype and mild disappointment that was The Dark Knight Rises, Chris Nolan will have to contemplate that he's missed out on the Big One here. Yup, Sam Mendes, Oscar winner supremo for American Beauty was by far-and-away, the only man for the director's chair (with a solid recommendation by Craig himself). What I love about Uncle Sam is that he's not afraid to be bold (we see more blood in this film, despite the 12a rating, but it's subtly done) and he's definitely found some niches with DC's reluctant hero (which Martin Campbell kick-started with Casino Royale). A pivotal ingredient of a Mendes film is the cinematography and with Skyfall, my jaw was dropping at Shanghai (a nod to You Only Live Twice). In fact, my jaw dropped a lot (and that wasn't even Bérénice Marlohe!) And despite the absence of David Arnold, composer Thomas Newman, doesn't disappoint.

It's the 50-year-old debate: Who Is The Best Bond? Daniel Craig: 3 films in & by the time you see Skyfall, there is no doubt in my mind that DC's Bond is the most fleshed-out and three dimensional. His cavalier attitude, his down-and-dirty assassin on the mission, and a very affectionate lover of the ladies, are some of the reasons he scores all the ticks. Sean Connery just wisecracked and shagged birds, but had that physical prowess which DC has equalled, if not bettered; George Lazenby was more of a pantomime; Roger Moore started out well with his debut, but romanticised 007 to the point where he wore flares and befriended steel-toothed villains who were baying for his blood; Timothy Dalton brought back the hard edge Bond was missing and very underrated (kudos to Jason Segel who acknowledged him in I Love You, Man); Pierce Brosnan carried on that darkness with GoldenEye, which was sadly lacking in future outings, along with a suspension of disbelief audiences couldn't buy any longer. DC is Bond, he now owns the role. He's comedy timing is impeccable, his reactions to the littlest things will have you laughing and he knows how to wear tight fitting clothing (thanks to TOM FORD). More importantly, DC can act which is what this role demands...and if like me, you've all watched the Bond films (as DC & Mendes did), Skyfall has done a tremendous job in avoiding past mistakes. The screenplay acknowledges why James Bond is the World's Most Successful Movie Franchise. From the opening credits that references past entries, to Adele's amazing vocals (someone shoot Madonna & Lulu for me; oh and Jack & Alicia too), Skyfall is peppered with nods that may anger or erupt knowing laughter from its devoted fan base. For the record, I laughed, quite a lot.

Javier Bardem as Raoul Silva, is probably the best entrance you'll ever see for a Bond Baddie. He is also by far, my favourite villain of the series and will be a hard act to beat. I really cannot say any more about Bardem, as he is one of many high points that Skyfall has to offer. A stroke of genius from Mendes to give him blonde hair (not only did he remind me of Scaramanga) but the hair does reveal a back story. Javier is proof that grade-A actors do get the best villainous roles, if they're written properly (remember what the Cohen brothers did for him a few years ago?) As I write this, I'm still grinning at Javier's comments...hahahaha! A great actor, just love him and so much going on in that masculine skull of his.

Nothing will touch Bond. Sure, you'll have the wannabe franchises out there (did someone say douchebag, toothless vampires? Not me) who will claim to be the movie event of the year (more like non-event) and the likes of Marvel Comics may one day, catch up. Stan Lee has to look at the accidental success of 007 in relation to his own creations. Sure, I love Spidey, Captain America and Daredevil, but I'm not a sweaty arm- pitted virgin with a fondness for pies and acne; I'd much rather be the man who's dressed to kill, with a Licence To Thrill and smells of the most decadent cologne that my wages will allow. No shame in admitting my inverted snobbery and can thank Ian Fleming for that. If he were alive today, I'm sure he'd approve of Skyfall (considering it's an original screenplay that relies on his healthy diet of sex, guns, snazzy wardrobes and fast cars). Happy 50th birthday, James Bond (you don't look a day over 40!)

Bond will return in October 2014 (I've already booked my tickets!)
256 out of 509 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the very best Bond movies
rogerdarlington26 October 2012
We've waited four years since "Quantum Of Solace", but 50 years after "Dr No" started the longest and most successful franchise in movie history comes the 23rd James Bond film and the third starring Daniel Craig as 007. I was 14 years old when I attended the spy's first cinematic outing; over the next couple of years, I read all 14 Ian Fleming novels; and, over the last half a century, I have gone along to the theatre to see each new film as soon as it was released.

What was new with "Skyfall" is that I managed to see it a week before its general release at a special viewing for cast and crew when all mobiles were taken off us, all of us were searched, and everyone sat through the credits before applauding a brilliant team effort.

The sense of excitement was rewarded by a superb movie. A cracking opening is followed by a powerful song from Adele which is followed by a storyline that is genuinely distinctive from other Bond movies: more intelligible and more intelligent.

Instead of the archetypal villain as someone crazed by megalomania, we have an adversary, subtly played by a blond Javier Bardem, who is motivated not just by power and wealth but by a very personal sense of vengeance. Instead of a Bond who easily outwits all foes, we have an agent with some obvious vulnerabilities, both physical and psychological, who does not always get his way. Instead of the usual two Bond girls, effectively we have three: French actress Bérénice Marlohe in her first English-speaking part, British actress Naomie Harris in what will prove to be a break-out role, and the redoubtable 77 year old Judi Dench playing M for the seventh time in 17 years.

The film is a triumph for British director Sam Mendes, making his first British movie after such more serious successes as "American Beauty", "Road To Perdition" and"Revolutionary Road". I was shaken and stirred.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bond continues to be the world's hero of entertainment
jdkraus11 November 2012
James Bond has always been my favorite action hero. I have read most of the books and seen all of the movies. While the '06 release of "Casino Royale" revived Bond and "Quantum of Solace" proved a mediocre sequel, "Skyfall" gives Agent 007 a new clean slate. It holds a story of its own, pays homage to other Bond flicks, and introduces characters that all of us Bond fans have come to love over the past years.

Daniel Craig is back as Bond and once again, he embodies the soul of the man. He kicks ass, does the impossible, and even steals the hearts of some hot babes. Pure Bond. Judi Dench is perfect as usual as M. Ralph Fiennes, Naomi Harris, and Albert Finney give decent performances in their respective roles. Finney is particularly amusing. But in any James Bond film, the antagonist is what helps make the movie really memorable. Javier Bardem proves a true genius as "Skyfall's" villain. He plays a good psychopath (without relying on any reference to No Country for Old Men), and adds strong levels of flamboyance, wicked humor, and even devastating emotion.

It may seem a bit odd that Sam Mendes, a master of dramatic films like "American Beauty" and "Road to Perdition" would direct a Bond. Even so, Mendes does a stand up job of combining both character drama and stunning action sequences. In addition, his technical team helps him craft such a success. Thomas Newman delivers a lush score and Roger Deakins beautifully photographs each scene with care and precision. The only downer about this Bond is the overabundance of CGI. While some effects were photo realistic, others were blatantly awful. Agent 007 has entertained us as the world's greatest secret agent. And he has done so for 50 years. No other franchise has achieved such an accomplishment. Of 23 movies, "Skyfall" is one of the best. Let us hope that he continues to be our hero with installments of Bond 24 and 25.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After 50 years, James Bond finally comes home!
zeki-425 October 2012
Congrats to the production team, especially the writers and the director Sam Mendes, for creating one of the very best Bond movies. If there's any fairness at all in the movie industry, 'Skyfall' will get its fair share of Oscar nominations.

THE GOOD:

• The precredit sequence: They spent almost three months filming this 10 minute sequence. When you see it, you will understand why.

• The lead actors, especially Craig, Bardem and Dench really shine, given a script which has some very interesting plot twists. Especially in the third act, which takes place on British soil entirely.

• Cinematographer Roger Deakins, has made 'Skyfall' the most visually stunning movie of the year. Not since Lewis Gilbert directed Bond movies has a Bond-movie looked this good. Excellent use of colors, light and locations in 'Skyfall'. And no shaky-cam (!) which destroyed the last Bond-movie, 'Quantum of Solace'.

THE "COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER":

• The huge action setpiece from the beginning of the movie never gets topped during the rest of the movie. Some Bond-fans will probably be disappointed by this, since action set pieces are a key ingredient in the Bond franchise.

• The soundtrack by newcomer Thomas Newman: A bit underwhelming when compared to John Barry, and later David Arnold, who scored the last six Bond-movies.

• The return of the exact same Aston Martin DB5 presented to Bond by 'Q' in 'Goldfinger': I think this messes with the whole "reboot"-idea.
69 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific comeback
nexus-376 February 2013
I dunno if you guys get this one but comparing to M:I4 Ghost Protocol this was a masterpiece.

Many similarities here and there but still surprisingly good. And really, back to the roots. Only few things made me little disappointed with this one was bond getting too erm. weird. It actually worked.

Not too much explosions (well there are..) not too much cgi-crap etc. and it got cooler every minute.

Really interesting bond for a long time. Actually needs brains a bit to watch this one, if you have seen them all I'll bet you get the idea with this one.

This was a comeback, I waited something like explode everything, slow motion effects, stupid sequences but really really inspired with this one.

One thing I don't get the hype of this movie, it stands on it's own greatly.

For bond fans: 9/10
47 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Skyfall" drops proudly among the greatest Bond films
thefilmdiscussion9 November 2012
Daniel Craig has now starred in the two greatest James Bond movies ever made (let the criticism begin), and although he also starred in the worst ("Quantum of Solace"), it wasn't all his fault and can be forgiven. But enough comparing, because "Skyfall" needs no comparison, and would embarrass its competitors anyway. Sam Mendes has delivered a riveting thrill machine of a movie, with a rich character at its heart – James Bond. That's right, the cold, calculating killer reveals even more of his soft side as we delve deep into his past. The emotional feeling we get from the famed agent is entirely due to Craig's acting, who has brought more to the psychological side of Bond than the rest of the players combined. Sure, his films may lack some of the quirk and humor of the earlier offerings, but the character is still finding himself (six years ago he didn't even know what drink to order). And trust me, there is plenty of humor, and a dash of quirk, in this fantastic entry. "Skyfall" gives us a compelling story that we can actually wrap our heads around, as it is nearly as simple as revenge. We get a wildly sinister villain from Javier Bardem (who reminds me of Ledger's turn as Joker, and Bardem is equally Oscar-worthy), a multi-dimensional M from Judi Dench, the introduction of Q and Money Penny, as well as some throwbacks towards the films of old. Directed by Oscar-winner Mendes and filmed with a master's touch by Roger Deakins, this is a Bond film that redefines Bond films (after "Casino Royale" rejuvenated them in 2006) and offers up something for everyone. Two amazingly choreographed (and photographed) action scenes and Adele's soul-stirring theme song, with the accompanying and superb opening credits, are the icing on the cake. So I suppose the 23rd time's the charm. "Skyfall" drops strongly in first place as the best of Bond.

-Thomas Bond
77 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New Classy Bond
billygoat10713 November 2012
Daniel Craig's version of James Bond is probably the most engaging one so far. Casino Royale improves the series with grittier and much serious tone. Though, Quantum of Solace is simply just a straightforward action film. Skyfall brings back the spy's classiness and simply tells a compelling story. While the action scenes are magnificent and the filmmaking is fancy. There's also a fascinating performance by Javier Bardem. Skyfall is definitely one of the best Bond films ever.

Skyfall is kind of extraordinary as a Bond film. Classic Bond elements are there but the film tries to go deeper and have more dangerous conflicts. It can be a little bit tamed sometimes but it's best when it explores more about the villain and the threats for M. The film tells the story in a slicker way like how the characters are introduced and the action scenes are executed. The actions scenes are exciting enough. After the gruff high octane opening chase, the rest of the action is all hiding in the shadows and blowing up stuff. There isn't much of a romance, but it's not really necessary for this story.

Daniel Craig is still pretty awesome as Bond and Judi Dench is always great as M. Ben Whishaw gives a nice introduction to the new Q and Noamie Harris is pretty likable as her role. But obviously, Javier Bardem is the standout of the film. He brings a lot of threat and strangeness to the villain. There's also a bit of sympathy beneath the character that he made effective enough.

The most impressive in the filmmaking is the cinematography that classes up every shot of the film. It also has a fabulous production design. There's almost nothing to mention about the special effects until you see the obviously CGI'd lizard. The original Bond theme plays often in parts and the Skyfall song fits well to the film.

Skyfall is a strong Bond film. It tells the story cleverly and adds more depth to the Bond character with elegant filmmaking and brisk, surreal action sequences. It's overall innovative to the series. It has the classy Bond swagger but aims higher with more compelling drama and exciting thrills. Some might get disappointed for not having enough Bond Girl moments but I think we can live without it for a while. In the end, it's an amazing experience that is stirring and brilliantly done.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.