The Passage (TV Series 2019) Poster

(2019)

Not read the books
twistedduck-9704018 January 2019
Had no idea what to expect. I really enjoyed it and cant wait for the next episode. Maybe not reading the books has given me an advantage of not expecting it to be the same. How many tv shows or films actually follow the book page by page. Looking forward to seeing the next episode.
106 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable despite being very different to the books.
sanchezjalapeno18 January 2019
The Passage trilogy is my favourite book series. In fact I'm listening to the first book on Audible which is a completely different experience itself. As far as the TV Series goes - it's fun. I would never have thought to make it that way myself (saw it more on AMC or FX or something) but it's zippy and fast and has its own heart so just sit back, relax, take it for what it is (different to the books) and it will all be ok.
69 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 2 can't come quick enough!!
tnrris200514 March 2019
I have read the books and I loved them. I decided to give the series ago. After a couple of episodes even knowing that it didn't follow the full story of the books I was engrossed. Absolutely brilliant! The creators have done an amazing job. Not every book is always the same as the film/series. Put the books aside and watch this openly knowing it will be different. You will get a surprise. I was hooked from start to finish. I literally can't wait for the second season. I highly recommend anyone to watch this.
33 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seems to be a trend here... Read=hate; No read=love
bjnmail13 February 2019
I'm in the second camp. Had no idea what this show was about or that it was even based on books, and I really have enjoyed the first 5 episodes so far. Have never seen a good vampire TV series, and this seems like it's got just enough to keep things on topic, but not to scare off folks like me who thought True Blood was trash, and there was that one on SyFy that was OK, for like three episodes, but it somehow lasted years. I just hope it doesn't go the path of so many other great series that premiered on Fox that were never given a second season, even when they'd have been stars at any other network. Fox loves to cancel good shows, so I guess we'll see.

I'm still not sure what the first season or even the next episode holds, but I'm definitely going to be watching for as long as it's on the air (hopefully that's at least more than one season).
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On the fence
crys_tyle16 January 2019
I am a HUGE fan of the trilogy and I've read the whole thing 4 times. I was really disappointed to see so many changes, particularly to Amy's story. I love the casting so far (though I'm still weary of the Babcock casting deviating so far from the character in the book). I'm going to see how it goes for a few more weeks. The books were so rich in characters and storylines and time periods, I'd like to see how a tv show plays them all out, or if they'll skip over them all entirely.

Update: For those who have not read the books and are "dumbfounded" as to why the hardcore fans of the book are so disappointed, you should probably give them a read. This show bascially stole the book title and the general premise and then butchered it with shallow character back stories. I've now watched a few more episodes and I've grown more and more disappointed. Why not just make a new story instead of doing such a disservice to Mr. Cronin's masterpiece?
104 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GRIPPING
andimc2 February 2019
I havnt read the books so I had no pre-conceived ideas. I found this both entertaining and enjoyable so definitely give it a go.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought it was pretty good
savethecloudsfoundation18 January 2019
The only people bashing this show seem to be people who have read the books. As someone who has not read the books (didn't even know they existed until recently) I thought it was very interesting. I might even go as far as to say that it's the only show on network tv that I am interested in at all.
48 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoying this show
myrocdave-936654 February 2019
I am 3 episodes in and already hoping this one lasts for awhile. After each episode, i am anxiously awaiting the next. As far as all the reviews go, tv shows/movies are Rarely luke the books they are based upon. The depth and connections you get reading a good book really cant be equalled on a screen. But i can understand the frustration from those who have read the books, luckily, i am not one if them. Hopefully this series lasts awhile so we can see the development of these characters and their stories.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing like the book
jess_cagle-784-13033215 January 2019
I am dumbfounded as to why so many things have changed from the book to the tv series. Rewriting storylines. Making new plots. Eliminating relevant backstory with Amy. Changing personalities. Changing genders. Changing the entire tone of the book to a story that now looks comical and ridiculous. I'm confused as to why this series is even called The Passage and can only guess how the plot will be butchered further in the future. The books are extremely well-written with character development unlike I've seen before. I would describe the books as an epic journey filled with drama and suspense, intensity, sorrow and pain and the uncovering of a mystery touching on the supernatural and divine intervention. I'm very disappointed in this adaptation.
119 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really loving this show
injun-8362026 January 2019
I have watched the first 2 episodes and so far I love it. Good plot, great actors, perfect pace and not predictable. I did not know what the show was about when I started to watch and that is a good thing because I do not even like that Genre and I would not have ever bothered. A win for me.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great!
litjeezy4 February 2019
Let's make this easy. It's very good! Why are people comparing this show to the books? Stop it. Wake up people it's either you enjoy it or you don't. Stop the Novel to t.v. Comparison.
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zack Morris has Grown UP.!!!
ylopez-2379417 January 2019
Yes..... I had to see this pilot to this show once I saw the commercial for the show ON FOX. I couldn't believe it Mark Paul Gosselaar, nice anyhow I saw the first pilot, it blew me away. The whole premise is intriguing it deals with Vampires which I think it's entertaining. MPG ( has Grown) looks amazing Fit.... quite a change for Preppy aka zack Morris I love it, serious role (hopefully) this show will help him get passed the typecast of Zack Morris... The little Girl is wonderful very precocious I love it. Good Chemistry between him and the Little girl.. Give it a Chance at least for you to say that you saw it doesn't hurt... I can't wait for the episodes to come.... I am Psyched.
50 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TV Adaptation of the book. Adaptation being the operative word.
sephraims29 January 2019
I've read the books and loved them, but I'm open to watching a tv adaptation. Some people are expecting this programme to be in some way a direct correlation with the book. That's not what an adaptation is anyway. I've read all the Outlander books but still love the show which does digress from the books. Hopefully this series will be an interesting representation of the Novel! I've watch the first episode and it's a solid 8. If it hold my interest I shall amend my rating 😊
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hopefully it gets better
television_guru15 January 2019
The single redeeming factor in this show is the interaction between Zach Morris and the little girl. The plot is ridiculous, the storylines inane, and the acting, for the most part, is overacting. Secondary characters are caricatures. Basically, the writing is horrendous and painful. Willful suspension of disbelief is nowhere near enough for this script; willful suspension of all reality is required. Or maybe the writers are so far out there that they think these things could actually happen.

I almost quit watching less than 10 minutes in but decided to stick it out. It does get a bit better, and I'll watch the next episode or two before making a decision to keep watching or not.
47 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a winner out the gates!
support-3431 February 2019
So what if it does not follow the books...let it go and enjoy the raw talent that you are witnessing in Saniyya...the child is brilliant in her role as Amy. Mark-Paul (Brad) is also great. We immediately understand his reasons and motivations and the father daughter bound is believable....that is no easy task to pull off. Especially in only one episode. Amazing casting on this project for the lead actors. It feels fresh and different. Cant wait to see more.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You must be kidding
bapple3723 January 2019
Name a single series, or movie for that matter, that follows the source(comic, graphic novel, book) exactly...
34 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Abomination...
starman-9737720 January 2019
The Passage novels by Justin Cronin have a depth to them that I have rarely found in many book of the same genre. In fact I think that the first 250 pages of the first book are some of the best writing I have ever encountered, nuanced and with an imposing sense of dread. The first episode of the Fox adaptation, by contrast, abandons all this for a "by the numbers" vampire tale. Familiar tropes, clumsy writing, poor visual effects. Equally disappointing are the totally unnecessary revisions to cast and characters which I can only assume were as a result of pandering to perceived quotas for gender and ethic diversity (there are already plenty of strong, positive characters of both genders and different races in the novels). The Passage deserved a large production (a la "Game of Thrones") approach or a multi movie deal. What it got was Saturday afternoon cable filler - appalling. Update - In the interest of objectivity I watched all 10 episodes. If I had not read the books I would have rated it a 4 or 5 star out of 10. The problem with the show, however, is not that it is different from the books but that every 'creative' decision taken has rendered the story a weaker version of the written one. The revisions to character and plot have been taken to serve a commercial model, based on Fox's audience, revenue stream and the cable format. They have not been taken to serve the story. Everything that made the novels so compelling has been watered down or removed entirely until what remains is indistinguishable from any other cable series...
64 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original, Not Predictable
lindashadowland12 February 2019
I am surprised by so many mediocre reviews about this show. I have to admit I thought the premise was tried and true and would follow the thread of the others that came before it and expected it to be mediocre myself. But I was immediately captured by the convincing connection between Amy and the agent. Then they almost lost me with the whole vampire scenario. THAT was anything but original.

But as I kept watching it the characters became more compelling and deeper, and the premise a little more complicated than I had originally thought. Now I am delighted to see it in my DVR lineup every Monday. The best thing to me about it is that they have made it just unpredictable enough to keep me watching. Really decent for network TV.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Generic Broadcast Network Drivel
peggypowell-0922221 January 2019
When I heard Fox was doing this series, I had serious reservations which proved to be true. This series is nothing like the beloved book(s). A bunch of b list television actors, many of whom look familiar; bad acting from most characters; a smart-mouthed kid; typical network production values-it looks like every other show on tv, it could be Lost, TWD. The writing is schlocky. If I were Cronin I'd be thoroughly pissed at what they have done to his books. This could have been so much better if done by a premium cable provider.
40 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ok, but
orchardlk5715 January 2019
Having read all the books, I was looking forward to this. Sadly, think it's going to be one of those things where the books are better than the show. Will give it a few more times, but I recommend reading the books or getting them through audible.
51 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just stupid!
hawkinsuhc15 January 2019
This could have been so much better! The previews suggest the little girl is the answer to whatever is wrong (a pandemic). However, she is not the last child in Earth! She hasn't even been tested. The idiot man sent to bring her in is just riddled with guilt over the list of his own child, so he runs off with her. It just seems like they'd just get another kid vs chasing the guy down to kill him and snatch the kid. It'd be different if they tested her, then he took her! Also, why would scientists test violent, dangerous people and make them more dangerous?! Ughhhhhhhh.....
71 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute yawn
shadowfax7318 January 2019
Haven't read the books but I know of them and figured that the mini-series would be enjoyable. It isn't, it's full of cliches:

Precocious young girl needs to do something amazing and, of course, she is the only human on planet earth that can do it. (yawn)

Stock white agent that gets all protective and gooey over her. (yawn)

Strong and firm black woman being strong and firm. (yawn)

CDC portrayed as really bad news as they want to study the girl (yawn)

Agent Not-Mulder goes on the run with precocious child who, like all women/girls in movies and TV series these days, are written and portrayed as not-###oles. (yawn)

White guys, invariably, are portrayed as ####oles or dumb....or ####oles AND dumb; except for the hero who wants to do the right thing (yawn).

The series becomes a bonding between Agent Not-Mulder and precocious kid - vampires looking nothing like Christopher Lee are there but kind of incidental. (yawn)

The X-Files did all this so much better and with no agenda. (can I get a Hallelujah?)

Unwatchable.
35 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great start
charlesadrienne15 January 2019
Didn't know what to Expect with this but I surprisingly enjoyed it. I can only judge based off of the first episode but so far so good. Mark Paul G. is such a great actor and definitely underrated. The chemistry with him and the girl is so great, as well as the other cast members. Very interesting and different than some of the shows that have been out. Fox is known for cancelling the best shows, so I hope this one sticks. Great storyline, cast, acting, entertaining. Hopefully it will get better with each episode like most shows do, but so far so good
50 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too different
lori_t201015 January 2019
Like most people I re-read the trilogy so many times I have it memorized and this just fell so far short of the actual story too many changes to too many characters I think the acting is fine and I'm sure had I not read the books the show would probably be okay but it just went way too far away from the actual story for me to enjoy.
50 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HORRIBLE
jgold-2372022 January 2019
The writing and directing are so bad that it hurts to watch. The only thing worse is the acting.
35 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.