Sweet Girl (2021) Poster

(2021)

Another netflix generic slot filler
OfficialBadPug20 August 2021
Netflix is rapidly becoming or perhaps has become the new Asylum/Anchor bay, releasing half baked movie after half baked movie and this one is no different, the actors were great, the actors were the only thing keeping this thing together but by god, the script was terrible, the camera work was terrinble, i mean dear god did they find the only camera person with parkinson's or what.. its becoming very sad, maybe 1 in 30 netflix movies is good the rest are just garbage, i realise this review has spent more time focusing on netflix than the movie itself and thats partly because theyre to blame, put up any netflix movie poster and youll see, theyre all pretty much the same. Kinda like the hallmark christmas movie, youve seen one hallmark christmas movie, you've seen em all, just different actors.
99 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb.
mike-778-46759229 August 2021
Absolute nonsense from start to finish. I turned it off 10 minutes before it ended as my toast popped up and distracted me and buttering that was more interesting than this movie.
54 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not THAT Bad...Not THAT Great Either...
soulcrisis2830 August 2021
Ok, so as you can see the reviews and ratings are all over the place on this one. I save the 1* ratings/reviews for the truly bad stinkers out there. As in people who can't and shouldn't act and never should've been cast and movies that are so bad they never should've been made, let alone put out for the public to see.

That being said, this is not one of those movies. It has Jason Mamoa in it for crying out loud! The actors and acting were just fine and they did a good job. What falls short is the script, and that's not the actors fault. They can only work with what they're given to work with. If you give the greatest sculptor in the world trash to work with, he can only create more trash.

The plot was not so bad either it was just executed very, very poorly. Big pharma pulls a certain medication needed to keep his wife alive from cancer and she dies cause of it. Any man would go off the deep end. That being said, like I said the story is what's crap. It's been done before and done way better. The twist was just lazy and unimaginable. Because it was lazy and dull it then caused the rest of the movie to be crappy.

The action and fight scenes are so unbelievable it just takes you out of the movie and ruins it all together. It was too long too. Right when it felt it should've ended, surprise slap in the face and 20 more mins of garbage.

If you like action and can leave your brain turned off and like Jason Mamoa then check it out, maybe you'll like it. I on the other hand can't turn my brain off when the movie is presented to me as being, or supposed to be realistic and non realistic things happen throughout the entire movie.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all - no idea what's up with the haters
banihwah20 August 2021
An odd proportion of super negative reviews on here, it makes me think they are written by an alternative production crews. Really not a bad action flick, decent pace, some interesting developments. Sure the script and production could have been a bit better, but for a Netflix home brew, not bad at all. Anybody giving this a 1 or 2 is being ridiculous.
274 out of 452 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
mattkowgier22 August 2021
So unrealistic and cheesy action scenes. Movie was poorly executed, unrealistic and not worth wasting your time on. Period.
142 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was hoping for better
croucher-2143423 August 2021
I was excited to watch this movie- Jason Mamoa takes on Big Pharma. I have to say that I was really let down. The plot of the movie was terrible, the plot twist was predictable, and the movie in general was not believable. With all of that said, I could watch Jason Mamoa fill out his taxes and I would be perfectly happy. Therefore, the movie earned some points for casting him.
39 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not going to win any oscars
Paul_Rezon20 August 2021
But, grab some popcorn, leave your brain at the door and enjoy. It's alright.
50 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not So Sweet
nlsteven-attheMovies4 November 2021
Sweet Girl is an entertaining watch if you are in the mood for ludicrous fight scenes and a no-brainer revenge story. There is some decent cinematography here, but ultimately the film is let down by a generic and soppy screenplay, despite the WTF end-of-the-movie twist and Jason Momoa giving his best dramatic acting shots - especially that huge sob scene!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overdone premise with unearned twist
padilla-0043822 August 2021
Man seeking revenge against Big bad pharma

Big bad pharma CEO not giving a hoot- and just wants that sweet Moolah $

Sound familiar?

Overdone concept that has been told significantly better in other movies

Once the big reveal/ twist happens in last 10 minutes - I rewinded the movie to see if the twist made any sense

...It didn't - very disappointed.

Performance wise - I felt everyone was on point

They just signed onto a bad movie.
41 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It got worse by the minute.
Brajja20 August 2021
Ridiculously stupid script.

You could do much better things with your time on earth than watch this garbage. Don't watch it.
86 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Straight Up Bad
qwmarcus21 August 2021
From the pacing to the editing, this movie is bad. The camera work in this movie comes off very amateurish and unprofessional. The action scenes while choreographed decently, are shot in a way where the action is very clearly staged. Don't get me started on the twist. Without getting into spoilers, the plot twist takes all logic and throws it out the window. The only saving grace for this movie is Mamoas and Isabellas performances. While not great, they're serviceable and make the movie somewhat watchable. While the storyline did have potential, it just ended up being another cliché, run of the mills revenge plot. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this moving to anyone.
51 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most unrealistic fight scenes outside of 70's Kung fu!
enigma-947-33946724 August 2021
I have mma, street fighting, and bouncing experience. I was cringing at how absolutely ridiculous these fight scenes were. So bad, I shut the movie off after 40 mins. I couldn't take it anymore.

This 160 pound guy picks up mamoa like he was a doll. Right. Each actor getting their heads smashed into glass and metal, not a scratch, then they keep fighting like nothing happened. Ridiculous.

They might as well have has super powers, bc at least 10 times per fight they would have died or gone unconscious. Avoid this trash at all costs.
37 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its ok
adamchoo25 August 2021
In my opinion one of the best performances by Jason Manoa. Good to see him playing a different role.
32 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bad movie
otnememento-220 August 2021
This has almost all the ingredients of a bad movie. Boring plot, bad acting and unrealistic characters. It is not even entertaining and when you think it is almost over there comes the end as the final insult to the viewer.
85 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
illogical and pretentious
gtenalokes29 August 2021
Good idea, bad execution.. way too long and ultimately boring.. it's watchable but I wouldn't recommend it.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprising twist most audience will complain about
witra_as25 August 2021
Pretty standard revenge thriller with surprising twist that most audience will complain about. Though felt bland at times, Brian Andrew Mendoza still offered some nice action scenes over political and pharmaceutical issues. Momoa & Merced together made a good passing time.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a poorly written script
lancerdood21 August 2021
Even though the acting is definitely subpar it's the script that is unbelievable dogsh!t!!! This will be a waste of 2 hours of your life - do yourself a favor and skip it!!
45 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor action movie
justin-9784721 August 2021
Every action scene was filmed in a ghost town, gun shots and explosions going off and not one member of the public to be seen. There are a number of flaws in the film .
32 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SWEET JESUS, IT'S BAD!!
MadamWarden23 August 2021
"Men are coming to kill us!!" "Tell me about your mom"

OMG. The dialogue, the plot, the acting, the direction. All pretty much non-existent or, at the very best, executed whilst high. So bad.

I thought at least Aquaman would be badass have some cracking action scenes, but no. He generally gets beaten up.

And the bad man, he meanders through through the movie always knowing where they are. Miraculously.

The "twist". Hahahahahaha

Seriously, give this a miss.
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dont ignore negative reviews ! THIS IS DUMB!
IvnSoft21 September 2021
Way too much people trying to give this movie a better rating than it deserves.

Just because you are a "father" and feel connected to the plot, does not make this movie great.

Suspending disbelief (as in many other movies) wont make this movie good.

Jason Momoa was good (great? No). That doesnt save this movie.

I wont spoil the plot, but if you pay attention, youll figure the twist right after the first act. It is DUMB.

I dont have issues with it not being realistic (yeah, like most movies are) or even with the issues related to the fighting scenes.

The problem is : THE PLOT IS DUMB. Really dumb.

If it is for the fighting, or the girl power.. Better go watch "Kate". Now thats a lot of action, blood, and a better plot.

(i had to watch something else to wash off the bitter taste of "Sweet girl")
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been so much better
trinaboice29 August 2021
IN A NUTSHELL:

A devastated husband vows to bring justice to the people responsible for his wife's death while protecting the only family he has left, his daughter.

As always, this is a spoiler-free review!

THINGS I LIKED: Who doesn't love Jason Momoa? He's rough and tough, perfect for this action flick. He's the reason why most people will watch this movie. He works very hard in this film and takes a beating to entertain us. He also shows some emotional depth.

Isabela Merced is adorable. Did you see her in Dora And The Lost City Of Gold (Cute movie.) This film shows Isabela Merced can do a lot more than just be cute.

Justin Bartha plays a Millennial corporate hack which is a departure from his typical wise-cracking sidekick character. I've always liked him.

It's been a long time since I've seen Amy Brenneman in anything. I think I first noticed her many years ago in Casper. It's good to see her again.

There is a "Special Thanks" section of the movie credits that lists Kevin Evanto. Sadly, he passed away several months before the film's release. He had worked hard on securing filming venues in Allegheny County for the movie.

Fun fact: Pittsburg doesn't have yellow cabs, so one was specially designed for the taxi scenes in the movie.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: The title is terrible. The song in the trailer doesn't match either.

I love twists in movies, but the one that shows up in Act 3 doesn't quite work. Audiences aren't buying it.

Cliched story and action scenes with all the predictable beats.

There's actually a moment where a fight scene is so poorly filmed that you see Jason Momoa's fist intentionally miss his mark.

Shaky cam makes me dizzy and annoyed.

Unrealistic scenes.

Slow pacing with a lot of long time gaps in the story.

The dad (Jason Momoa) makes some really dumb decisions. It's as if the character has never watched a movie before that teaches you how to disappear and get revenge on bad guys. (wink) Fans and critics alike are hating on this film and on Netflix. We've become extremely spoiled with great movies that have kept us entertained and even, at times, inspired so it doesn't seem fair to rip all over Netflix when they put out a stinker.

TIPS FOR PARENTS: Lots of bloody violence with various weapons and hand-to-hand combat You see a woman die of cancer Profanity, including F-bombs Lots of destruction People in perilous situations

You can see my full review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining
yukontanny25 August 2021
I love movies that have a lot of action, drama and twists. This is a great movie. Why do people feel the need to hate on movies because their not realistic? After this past federal election, how can anyone believe such craziness isn't possible? In today's day and age, anything is possible! The reality is movies are supposed to entertain us, not necessarily be completely realistic. This movie was great. Extremely entertaining and a great way to spend a couple hours forgetting about the outside world! Enjoy!
33 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sadly, it was underwhelming
Top_Dawg_Critic23 August 2021
It had some good action scenes, but the story felt too bland and dragged out. Momoa and Merced had great chemistry as dad and daughter, but her as an action character taking out big guys was laughable. The twist was decent, but took too long to get there, and I think wasn't really needed as a trade off to see Momoa keep kicking @ss. The 109 mins felt much long with too much filler and not enough substance, as well as some slow and dragged out scenes. Still, a decent watch if you're a Momoa fan.
28 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Done so many times and much better
ddebetta-8382421 August 2021
Are we back to all pharmaceutical companies and big businesses is bad screwing the working man over and this is so tone deaf and so unoriginal it's amazing that anyone paid any money for this to be made be made... this has been done hundreds of times in 100s of times better than this it's pure crap. Did I mention how predictable it is as well? Netflix you owe me an hour and a half of my life back.
40 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
dbernhardt-7792121 August 2021
I gave up about 20 minutes in, just after the 47th cliché, and started jumping ahead. I didn't get any better.
37 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.