Held (2020) Poster

(2020)

Trapped in a house flick
qyzenreviews10 April 2021
It starts off well, real genuine suspense, But crashes with the plot twist.

Cinematography and visuals are really beautiful for a trapped in the house movie,

The actors play their part well but the idea could have been improvised.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
kinan-debsie11 April 2021
Not worth watching... The beginning was good... Thrilling... But the story... 1/10.
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thrilling and Suspenseful!
rodrigofilms24711 April 2021
Enjoyed watching this film from the guys at TREMENDUM pics as have enjoyed their other films as well! Love how this was filmed and the sound... fun wild storyline that has a crazy reveal at the end. Very horrific married couples film to say the least haha.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The plot twist ruined it.
tanyatzatmary30 April 2021
It was great at first, and for the first time in movie history a woman was a cheat and a bad partner in a relationship, it wasn't the guy or both of them as ALL movies depict it as being. But nope. Guys always have to be the bad guys in all movies.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can appreciate the main point(s)...
xxmisssvxx14 April 2021
This film is actually not as bad as some might think. If you understand the main point(s) of the film, it makes sense from that perspective.

This film isn't just about a married couple being trapped indoors over a weekend. There's an agenda and this takes life's most common problems with marriage/relationships and places it at the center. Of course the film also needs to include small elements of suspense throughout to keep it interesting.

...and then it takes an unexpected turn you don't see coming - controlled gratification.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hell
ks-6050029 April 2021
Feel like my hour is in hell watching such lame terrible movie. Horror not horror, low level of scary, mediocre acting..... disappointing overall.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great thriller/suspense
bawbrey-5258511 April 2021
Great mix of suspense/thriller without a ton of gore. Should be promoted by hotel companies as a reason NOT to stay at an Airbnb!
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film too fall asleep to. Zzzzzzzz
webstj-7509512 April 2021
Literally fell asleep watching it had to pick up from where I last could recall which wasn't very good since this is the most unmemorable film I've seen and the only thing I'll remember is how boring it was. Kinda looked cool and promising at the start but then crashed,burned ,got hit by a 18 wheeler, then got hit in the face by an old wet football.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
irritating lead
anilakygt2 May 2021
I apologize but i was excited for the premise of this and it got ruined 10 minutes in with the lead actress. No acting skills and irritating to look at. Was she an unpaid intern they hired? Im sure it was a good movie but i was annoyed.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sick feminism
dr-ahmedfathy5 May 2021
Another sick feminist movie.

"Dear husbands, you should be happy with your wife sleeping around, or you are a crazy maniac"
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SIMON SAYS
js-6613013 April 2021
A remote getaway to get away from it all, turns out to be a bad idea, because, all is under rated, and one should not try and get away from it. This is what horror movies are all about: lack of logic. And yet, here we are again.

Attempting to resurrect a failing marriage, a couple try and escape their troubles in an isolated vacation home that is equal parts concrete chic and smart security dungeon. Apart from a pool, and the lack of nosy neighbours, there's really not much here to rekindle any sparks, and the weekend seems like a doomed proposition. Except that it gets worse. Forget awkward relationship strife, howsabout a prison scenario with a mystery foe dictating the proceedings? Get out of line and whammo, an implant blasts the victims helpless.

Forcing our stupefied couple into a bizarre patriarchal game of fifties style gender role play, "Held" builds a promising premise but fails to deliver a knockout punch. There's plenty of room for slivers of comedy, perhaps some parody, escalating tension, physical mayhem, or maybe a crazed Nick Cage with an axe. But alas no, none of that.

An interesting mid film twist is all but inevitable but not unwelcome, yet the post reveal action is paint by numbers pedantic.

Too bad. There are a couple of undeveloped plot lines - an opening assault flashback, and an adult son from a previous relationship - left dangling, which may have flushed out the story if revisited. Perhaps hasty editing was the culprit, whatever the case, "Held" doesn't hold together.

• hipCRANK.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To amazing
gab-6759912 April 2021
This movie was just to great for my son and I. Loved the story, and actors really played off each other very well. We definitely recommend this movie. Some of the action of the actors were unbelievable, like when she should of locked the doors when she was in the car. Other than that it's a must see and you need to be your own judge despite the low ratings.
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kept Me Guessing
lisafazio15 April 2021
This was such a smart and creative plot line, I was in awe of the story line, superb acting and cinematography!
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome
aherosjournal10 April 2021
This movie was awesome awesome cinematography and amazing story.
5 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will scare you...away from theaters forever
mejane-9466917 May 2021
Movies like these are the reason theaters are going to go extinct. Why would anyone want to watch these two terrible actors spout terrible dialogue that was filmed by a bunch of talentless hacks? I want my money back.
Pretty good mystery flick
The_Swedish_Reviewer25 April 2021
Starting off well, it actually kept my attention until the end. Once I figured out the plot, I still liked it, which is not so common. Not a masterpiece though but much better than traditional splatter/horror movies. A suspense film with a low budget wrapped in a nice well-played package, reminiscent of "Sleeping with the enemy". Sometimes less is more and that is definitely the case with "Held". Good choice for both him and her.
HELD - MY THOUGHTS
clanhellekson25 April 2021
Cheerio from my local.

To the horror community, as you know there is a whole sub-genre I've called "Abducted by Strangers." This title doesn't exactly fit into that mold (like Circle, Vile), the but elements are there. A couple rent a modern house to work on their marriage and soon find themselves trapped and being directed to perform certain tasks by an unseen voice. The twist at the end was fun and for the most part, well-executed.

For me, it felt like an updated take on The Stepford Wives...as of this writing, I didn't see any mention of the similarities in the Trivia section nor in any other user reviews...so, perhaps it's just me.

The wife (Emma), played by Jill Awbrey, who wrote the screenplay and does an adequate job. Her range is limited, but not enough to pull you out of the story. Awbrey's resume is mostly non-existent, but most of these no-budget independent films are full of unknows. Not making a value judgement, just an observation. Usually, when the cast is also involved in the production (the director also has a big role in the third act), it's not a good sign.

In the role of the husband is Bart Johnson (Henry), never heard of him, but he appears to be a primarily TV character actor - in this, he does a solid job...in a cast of literally 4 people, he does the best.

I generally dislike single location films, but this didn't feel too claustrophobic and the twist is fun.

I would recommend this title - the growing list of no-name, no-budget films that succeed are growing (laters, studio garbage).

Cheers.
A great local film
pearcechris-8272613 April 2021
This movie was very well done, I liked the location they chose and I'm glad to see they are still making movies in Fresno. It was a great movie to see when movie theaters finally opened back up.
2 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad but not new ideas
mohammadjalshowbaki14 May 2021
There is no new idea or story here but it still not bad, had some thrilling, weak acting.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.