After Love (2020) Poster

(2020)

Powerful
akira-hideyo14 September 2021
Oscar and Bafta worthy for Joanna Scanlan. Incredible premise of a movie. Beautifully crafted story and the best outcome. Nothing implausible. Pretty certain countless similar situations around the world. It's good to see a positive synergy to all the mess caused by erroneous deeds-reel or otherwise.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie
svader26 August 2021
English-Pakistani film-maker Aleem Khans directors debut.

Do we ever truly know our partners, lovers, husband's or wives.

Joanna Scanlon portrays the main protagonist with depth and credibility. The story has been done many times before however the cross channel liaison, the culture entanglements and the actions of Mary are original.

I'm not quite sure how this movie could be seen as implausible as it is possible that it could easily happen. Maybe a use of a word without understanding it.

Would highly recommend.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful performance
drkavitha_k19 September 2021
Her pain is so palpable, she has so beautifully portrayed a woman's world coming crashing over her and then all over again and again, and to discover a bitter sweet emotion, finally a warm love emerges through it all. Such a myriad of feelings.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Less is more
ks-6050018 October 2021
It's probably one of the few great movies being so less lines. Totally less is more. The acting is so amazing and so natural for many dramatic scenes. Feel like it's an art more than a movie. Wonder any awards such movie will get.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
gsteel-8887929 September 2021
No long boring speeches peppered with big words just for the sake of it. No action sequences. Just reality. Beautiful, heartbreaking reality.

The actors are all perfect for their roles and although the basic plot has been told in a million other stories, there is something really special about After Love. It draws you in and leaves you wanting more.

The mix of English/French/Pakistani cultures is a refreshing change.

I bought this as I love Joanna Scanlan's work but didn't know what to expect before viewing this on Blu Ray but can safely say that this is now one of my favourite films of the 21st Century.

The small cast were all tremendous. Hope to see them all in other things soon.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Filmmaking At Its Best
atractiveeyes31 August 2021
It's a triumph of filmmaking, powerful and mind blowing. The story is mesmerising and so beautifully written. Cinematography is amazing, it has many stunning shots. Lead performance is brilliantly superb. After Love is real and simple yet so deep and emotional. It's full of sensations, it says so much and moves you easily without any forced efforts. Movies like this are the reason why I love movies. But it's slow-paced and not everyone's cup of tea.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Implausible
harryokin22 June 2021
I'd read some good reviews about this film but from professional critics. I'm sure it's technically proficient but I found the story totally implausible. The performances from the stars was fine but if you don't buy into the story no amount of acting is going to save it. It might work better as a play where you have the added tension of seeing it live.
13 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Little gem
tiptophip27 August 2021
Very nice story, it shows that people can handle a difficult situation with respect and affection. I love the Mary character, the only thing I find kind of unnecessary was the to much emphasis on Islamic tradition and rituals.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.