Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) Poster

3,233 Reviews
Enjoyable but empty
masonsaul7 July 2022
Thor: Love and Thunder does attempt to explore themes of love and loss whilst introducing the Mighty Thor and putting Thor on a journey of self discovery. However, it sadly doesn't work as well as it should due to a rushed pace and way too many jokes that are almost never funny.

Chris Hemsworth is still going strong as Thor but the extreme goofiness is getting a little stale. Natalie Portman has never been better as this character and Tessa Thompson is still great as Valkyrie, even though she doesn't really get much to do.

Taika Waititi massively overstays his welcome as Korg this time, who becomes very annoying really fast. Christian Bale is one of the better MCU villains with a good motivation and an unsettling presence but is let down by limited screen time.

Takia's direction on the other hand is stronger, there's some nice visual imagery and the colour palette is pretty vibrant but the MCU grey is still present throughout sadly. The CG is consistently inconsistent from start to finish.

The music by Michael Giacchino is fine, there's one new theme that's pretty memorable but the lack of Thor's theme is annoying. The soundtrack is really good, all the songs are classics that fit the tone and style well but some could have been used better.
1,752 out of 2,137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christian bales great performance wasted in a joke of a film.
rockingruby7 July 2022
Christian Bale is great, Russell Crowe has a good moment, Hemsworth is good but this movie cannot be saved from a terrible script, bad direction and stupid humour that overstays its welcome.
3,361 out of 4,067 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very very disappointed
ryrymadrid9 July 2022
I'm a huge marvel fanboy, and hardly ever have anything bad to say to about the MCU, but this was a huge letdown. Ragnarok is easily one of my top 5 marvel films , so was very excited to see this one, but this was really really bad. It was boring as hell and none of the jokes landed for me. First time in a marvel movie I really wanted to leave or wished it would end already. Huge waste of Gorr the god butcher. And the whole Zeus and Olympus part were so cringe worthy. I don't know how this got made. It was garbage.
2,269 out of 2,843 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bale good, the rest kinda weak.
lawrencelawrence868 July 2022
Fine seems to cover it, Disney has become fine, everything is fine. It has got to the point where if spending your time aimlessly going through your phone for 2+ hours or watching a marvel movie is a bigger waste of time.
1,338 out of 1,691 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too sily, feels like it's own parody
gy-att10 July 2022
Movie is okay. Christian Bale is awesome, Chris still can't act, but we never liked him for his talent, rest of the cast brings what they have to the whole movie is an average Disney factory work, everyone knows their job and they execute is as they should. The story has too many silly jokes. I know Waititi's style, but now he feels like his own parody. Like those Scream parody Scary Movies.
1,037 out of 1,302 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think 4/10 is generous
PsychoBeard6669 July 2022
I can't be bothered typing an essay so I'll sum up:

Thor is reduced to a bumbling idiot to elevate Jane and Valkyrie.

Horrible CGI.

Jokes that don't land.

A plot not worth caring about.

Forgettable set pieces.

Overuse of Guns N Roses.
915 out of 1,204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor: Nepotism and Narcissism. The Family Vanity Venture.
FallenEye14 July 2022
Every million Thor: Love and Thunder makes, is a million Marvel Studios and Disney has stolen, in the true meaning of the word, from fans. And believe me when I say that this farce of a movie is so vacant, that there really is nothing to spoil.

"Gorr - The God Butcher", yet not once did we see him butcher anyone, let alone a god, apart from a lousy stab. In any other franchise, such a gross disservice would have sparked outrage or contempt, but because it is the MCU, anything goes. That together with an endless barrage of bad and recycled jokes and plot issues the director couldn't have been bothered with, Thor: Love and Thunder, which is essentially named after Chris and his daughter, is a box of candy only good for causing a visual sugar high, only without the high or the sweetness. The MCU is no longer a loved franchise, it has become a worshiped one, which is why it can get away with producing thoughtless and empty products, and yet still be praised and consumed with gratitude.

This movie only served to stroke Chris Hemsworth and Taika Waititi's egos, while being a platform to showcase their children. And please don't interpret this as me "bashing" their children, they are completely innocent in this; it's their parents' egomania at fault. Thor: Love and Thunder has no substance, direction, or purpose, and is just a project of pure nepotism and ego.

This movie is half-baked, senseless, and intentionally ridiculous, which emphasizes just what a vanity venture it is.

I read somewhere someone say:

Avengers: Endgame: "Whatever it Takes".

Thor: Love and Thunder: "Whatever".

This is perhaps the most apt description of this thing that is a movie only by name.

In the sentiments of Chris Hemsworth and Taika Waititi, they suggest that this is a movie a 7-year-old would've made, and that the focus was 6-year-olds, showing how Marvel is now even flaunting its arrogance and disregard without shame.

Thor: Love and Thunder is not a movie, nor is it a movie for Marvel/MCU fans, it is a scam, a con, and footage of the Waititi and Hemsworth's family get-togethers, for them to enjoy during the holidays, but not us, together as families, and Taika and Chris are the con artists, which is about as much art as they display.

I'm not mad, disappointed, or surprised by this wreck of a movie, I'm merely aware of what the MCU is, or has become, and as an MCU fan, I'm just accepting of how the mighty have indeed fallen, at least from a quality point of view.

If you had asked me years ago if I thought I'd ever give an MCU movie such a low rating, I probably would've laughed in your face, and yet, here we are:

3/10.
649 out of 894 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly disappointing
FeastMode8 July 2022
This review will come off as very negative, but I had a decent time, laughed a lot, and was fairly entertained. As a big-time MCU fan though, Love and Thunder is highly disappointing, even more so for an OG Avenger.

For reference, I loved all of the previous Thor movies. Many people view the first two as bottom tier MCU but I think they're beastly and beautiful in a Shakespearian way, while also being funny and visually stunning. Then they went in a new direction with Ragnarok, and I was completely on board. I enjoyed the infusion of style and almost all of the humor works.

Love and Thunder goes so far past Ragnarok in every way. So much of it doesn't work for me. So much of the humor is predictable and goofy, to the point of bordering on cartoonish. And there isn't nearly enough serious to balance out the comedy. Combine that with some odd decisions later in the movie and... it kind of feels like they're turning Thor into a joke.

And don't get me started on a repeated joke involving two goats that made me think of Jar Jar. I didn't laugh the first time or the 20 times after.

Other than the comedy, a lot of Love and Thunder doesn't feel fully natural. Something feels off. The action scenes aren't memorable. By comparison, Ragnarok has multiple action scenes that make my jaw drop. There are some beautiful shots, but not nearly as often as the artwork in the previous ones.

But my biggest disappointment is the villain. I don't watch trailers and didn't know Christian Bale is in this movie. He is my favorite actor ever, and has been for the last 15 years. Even with all the amazing talent in this remarkable MCU cast list, IMO Bale stands out above them all. I was ecstatic...

Until I realized he's barely in the movie. He gives a great performance, but the script does not flesh him out, does not explore his character, and in effect, turns him into another forgettable MCU villain. Wasting Bale like this is a horrendous decision...

Especially after an amazing opening scene that made me think this movie might be on a different level. I can only imagine what could have been if 40% of the movie was dedicated to that character. I can only imagine how amazing it would have been if they treated the God Butcher like The Dark Knight treated Joker.

Why couldn't they balance out the serious and the funny? A good example: Guardians 2 is so funny and can get pretty goofy, but it has tons of serious and emotionally powerful scenes. Another example: Deadpool 2 is primarily a comedy but has SO many emotional moments, some to the point of tears.

IMO, Love and Thunder doesn't come close to the last two MCU movies (Multiverse of Madness and No Way Home). As it stands today, this is bottom 3 in the MCU for me.

EDIT: I decided to give this another shot. Sometimes it's easier the second time without the hype and knowing what to expect. But I felt pretty much the same. I enjoyed a lot of it, but the stuff I disliked bothered me just as much.

The two things that stood out to me the second time around, Bale's performance is amazing and they are idiots for underutilizing him. And the goats are the single worst thing in the entire MCU. Changing rating from 6 to 5 stars. (2 viewings, opening Thursday IMAX 7/7/2022, IMAX 7/20/2022)
581 out of 824 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Below Average
dude55688 July 2022
The film fails to meet the expectations of a great sequel. The Director is over reliant on unnecessary and childish humor. Christian Bale's character is underdeveloped for the most part. Zeus is a forgettable character in the movie. Thor does bring some fun to the movie but it does not help the film recover at any point. I would not rush to the Theaters for this sequel. O what a missed opportunity 👎.
689 out of 975 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crash Of A Franchise
UltraMaximal7 July 2022
Marvel films have never been for a smart audience. But turning a character like Thor and many others into a Clash Of The Titans rom-com really seals the fate of this incarnation of the MCU. There really is nothing new here save for Thors butt, which nobody ever asked for. But serves to show just how low Marvel will go for toilet humor.
790 out of 1,161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a joke
melcraig2046 July 2022
I feel like I've just watched a movie written by a bunch of school kids. They threw everything funny they could think of against the board and literally forgot everything else that makes a good movie. As a result nothing else in this movie means anything...it's a green screen completely detached from reality...
965 out of 1,394 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a Joke
jiggler-887146 July 2022
Everything is a joke, even when it shouldn't be, leaves the movie itself as "a joke" itself.

It has too much of that rock guy Korg. A fan edit removing most of Korg will increase the rating by at least a point.

Thor gets the stereotypical Homer Simpson treatment. This is apparently the god of thunder. Ugh.
944 out of 1,385 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who wrote this garbage?
mustangride6 July 2022
I am at a loss for words, it is childish but not even that. It is actually hard to put this to words.

IIt is as if they wanted to try and make this a Comedy but did not even know how to make a Comedy. You know those episodes of your favorite TV shows that they tried to make a musical episode and how cringe it was to watch... Well that is the best way I can describe this.

Save your money up for Gas and Groceries and hope Avatar is as good as we all hope.
582 out of 853 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
CGI Thursday's...
Xstal8 September 2022
The Gods of Chore desecrate with poor humour, this must surely be, a Marvel lampooner, while a dark necromancer, a metaphorical cancer, wages war with his shady black tumours. There's a Crowe God takes us to new lows, waffles along with ridiculous prose, but he isn't alone, most of this makes you moan, you're relieved when it gets to the close.

Taika Waititi fails to pull another Jo Jo Rabbit out of his increasingly emptying bag, in a film that leaves you groaning and squirming, from the ridiculous to the inept, from the absurd to the disengaging and detaching disconnect. Not sure why Christian Bale presents as Marilyn Manson but it's probably the only thing that works, although possibly not as intended.
141 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Empty. Annoying.
paularjyarishi13 July 2022
String of jokes and gags. Bland fight sequences. Hollow characters. Candypop colours and bling. Lazy, formulaic BGM. Pointless, absolutely unnecessary. When did Marvel become a spoof of its own material? Even The Powerpuff Girls had more sincerity than Love and Thunder. Waited for two hours to feel SOMETHING. All I felt was a headache and a pair of tired eyes.
332 out of 507 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really? The longer you watch it, the worse it gets
info-907018 September 2022
It is hard to understand how they can so thoroughly mess up a proven franchise, but apparently it is easy to do. The Matrix franchise has done it, and this one has done it. It is sad really.

The acting is decent, and actors deliver as much as possible, but it lacks continuity, a rational story and so much more. The atrocity that is Russell Crowe's character and performance is just absurd. Christian Bale is as angst ridden as ever and delivers it well, but what a wasted performance on a nonsensical script.

The story is bad, the directing is pretty bad, everything including the music is over the top and absurd.

I understand how the screaming goats felt in this film and wanted to scream with them!
94 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deeply disappointing
jtrascap2 November 2022
As this series goes on, it leaves the idea of nobility behind and makes the cast a bunch of rambling fools in search of a quest. The first Thor film may have been over-serious, but it pulled at the character in different ways and gave it depth; Thor had a genuine soul. This one reduces the character to a running joke about incompetence in anything but fighting - it's as if Marvel (Disney) made the series for a younger and younger audience each go round. All the characters are slight and one-note, the is plot thin and moves fast but randomly, like a drunk on a country road. It's such a shame - the original was about family, trust and honor - there's absolutely nothing honorable here. It just feels like a quick cash grab.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Expectations are a terrible thing..
daisukereds7 July 2022
..and yet, this is all so very familiar.

Lots of silly jokes (the goats get old really fast), an average villain plot, and no real stakes at any point. Add the fact that beings die (cheaply) and some just don't (a lot), then powerful Gods that become inconsistently useless for the sake of plot. I'm tired of mediocrity. No amount of colorful scenes will make this work, waititi. The worst part is that it uses stories that were written with buildup, intent and merit for a Comic.. and it feels like they were mushed and summarized onto an average script for the sake of substance. That is not to say Chris and Natalie didn't deliver on the emotional tones! It was the part I enjoyed the most.. But it feels ultimately hollow and unimportant.

It's a decent watch, in the same vein as the first Ant-Man. The masses might like it (although the theater I went to was mostly silent).

You can see naked Thor in the trailer.. so, just wait for the Disney+ release.
316 out of 540 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and unfunny traded tickets for Black Phone
Hopedoesnotdie8 July 2022
Wow as a HUGE! Marvel fan I'm shocked at how bad this was. So many cliché jokes, no character development, and Chris Hemsworth is no longer an actor in my opinion but a Disney prop just generating revenue with the same old schtick. I personally think Disney buys reviews because how these disasters just debut with higher rating and falter when us fans speak our mind is shocking. Only good thing was I was able to go see Back Phone after 80 mins of this crap and actually found a movie I really enjoyed that I normally wouldn't have seen. Way better filmmaking and acting. The jokes in this Thor aren't even funny, it's like they try to get the audience to laugh with them but we end up laughing at them. Films don't care about good storytelling anymore, they want to be "politically correct" and enlighten us with how they want us to think. All hogwash. Save your money. Disney is 3rd rate.
478 out of 794 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible stupid silly script - pathetic Thor
filmtravel10110 September 2022
I'm a big fan of Thor and love the prior films but this disaster of a script by Taika is simply pathetic.

I went in with an open mind but the sophomoric childish humor and lack of a real story makes it feel like a parody of itself. Poor Thor becomes this silly caricature of the hero and the only person that feels like a real character is Christian Bale who luckily actually acts like a true villain.

Imagine a nightmare cross of Guardians of the Galaxy and Dumb and Dumber with a Soap Opera Thor behaving like a silly fool - and throw in fatty Russell Crowe as a silly Zeus with a hilarious pathetic Greek accent and the topping is 2 large goats with annoying screams.

A total train wreck that I had to turn off in the middle because it was intolerable and Taika selection of music gets old fast. And I grew up in the 80s Eat my hammer Guns n Roses

Watch it for the cgi and Christian bale - and for the Children ( yes that is the main crux is saving the children of fantasy Disneyland Askard ha ha ).

It makes one wonder what Taika and Disney are smoking these days and what kind of disaster will be created by Taika with Star Wars.

1 star because Zero not available.
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
By very far the worst MCU movie so far.
demoustierfrancois28 October 2022
This movie was just... ridiculous by so many aspects. There are a few, very few great moments, but which are absolutely not enough to save the film from its director, his color frenzy, and all the ridiculous fluff surrounding the story, that generally make the movie fun, enjoyable, more interesting, but in this case seem like repeated and clear attempts to make the audience cringe.

The main story in itself had so.freaking.much potential, and they completely wasted it, got completely lost in derision. Seemed like a sarcastic parody of itself... Lame. This one I'm clearly not going to watch again any time soon, if ever...

I feel like it needs a 1* just to try and counterbalance the throng of fake votes made on this site to artifically increase the score of that crap.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A light-hearted and fun watch
jtindahouse6 July 2022
I sometimes feel like Taika Waititi is wasting his talents making MCU movies when he could be making great original content. But then he does make pretty good MCU movies, so maybe it would be a shame to miss out on those. 'Thor: Love and Thunder' wasn't quite as good as 'Thor: Ragnarok' for me, but it was still a decent watch.

The film is once again very light-hearted. It is certainly going for laughs more than anything else. Consequently the tone is very safe and no one ever feels like they are in much genuine danger. Which is a shame because Christian Bale plays a particularly menacing (at least visually) villain.

There are some fun cameos along the way as usual. The film is pretty well paced too. It doesn't really have a period which I would say dragged. If you enjoyed 'Ragnarok' then you are almost certainly going to have a good time with this one. 7/10.
427 out of 817 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I thought but still one of the worst superhero movies of all time
namob-436737 July 2022
I had very low exceptions. Seeing how they dumbed down Thor and made him into a slapstick joke I did not even want to see this movie. So when I say this was better than I thought I mean I thought this would be a -10/10 movie and be so horrible I would not be able to finish it without falling into a radioactive vodka-chamber. So the good news is that this is not THAT bad... The bad news is that this is still absolutely terrible.

The good with this movie is that it expand the Marvel Universe somewhat, we get to see some new things, some new worlds, some new characters. The cinematography is pretty great and the CGi hold pretty good. I also think the Jane story was a lot better than anticipated and I almost did not hate her.

The bad is everything else. The dialogue is atrocious, the attempt at humour is for children who has never seen a movie before, and the story is beyond contempt. This movie is also very short and it feels very rushed, very cut off like they wanted to make 40min more but did not have the budget or the studio hated it so they sliced of 5min here and there. And the acting... sorry but this is probably the worst acting I have seen in any Marvel movie. Every scene feels forced, and every actor look like they do to not want to be in this movie.

Almost all the negatives I mention above I would blame on the director which leads me to my main complaint; the directing is absolutely horrible. This is badly put together, badly edited, too short, badly told and if actors that we know can put in a good performance do not that has to be blamed on the director.

Everything else I mainly blame on the script. OMG this is so badly written, absolutely horrible. This movie is written by a 12yo blind and deaf fan of bad humour and then it has been added to by Darth Kennedy who was brought in to polish the script. Then directed by a childish man-baby lacking anything resembling an intellect.

I give this 2/10. I do not think Superhero movies can get worse than this. This is on par with the worst of the genre and I cannot phantom who can honestly like this.
272 out of 516 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The End Of Thor?
Alienmoon11 July 2022
What the hell was this?...

This felt like the ending of Thor has we know him, Now he's seems more like an empty puppet from a late Night, sad, pathetic comedy script?

Thanks for ruining Thor (Taika Waititi), you've turned Thor into a Joke with childlike comedy banter.

It's going to take a lot to reshape Thor back into the Hero we all knew him for, though i know i can't take anymore of this Comedy BS.
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hot. Steaming. Pile of garbage.
Ah dear.a complete eyesore earsore gutsore.

Everywhere hurts.

Why does every franchise that was once good and with direction have to take a nose dive and explode into flames.
92 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.