Christmas on the Square (2020) Poster

A fun Christmas musical for the whole family (if you like musicals, that is)...
toddsgraham23 November 2020
I find musicals difficult to review as I always find myself trying to disentangle the singing from the acting, which, of course, does not work. Overall, it is a fun movie, especially if you like musicals. It is not a very original story, of course, as the "Scrooge" plot has been done many times. The twist here is it is done in a musical. Regarding the story, I did find the plot around building a mall a bit funny, given that they have been closing across the country. Anyway, the choreography (in the song and dance scenes) is fun and engaging. Indeed, the strongest scenes, I felt, were those when the full cast participated (e.g., the opening scene, the church scenes, the closing scene). The individual performances, I thought were mixed. The lead, Christine Baranski (as Regina) and Treat Williams (as Carl), both had good performances, even though they are not what I would call naturally good singers. Josh Segarra, playing the pastor, could really sing, but his acting was rather weak. I was unimpressed with Jeanine Mason's (as Felicity, the other angel) performance overall. The producers could have cast a stronger actor for this role, a pity really. Jenifer Lewis (as Margeline) and Matthew Johnson (Mack) were excellent, great voices/singing. And there was a cute performance by Selah Kimbro Jones as Violet; I really enjoyed her scene with Regina. Overall, a fun movie. However, if you are not a fan of musicals, you should probably sit this one out.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringy but Adorable
SpookyPie8830 November 2020
It's embarrassing, cringy, sickly sweet, unoriginal, but, God help me, I do like this film. It's not going to win any awards, and I'd definitely change the channel if someone walked in and caught me watching it, but it's adorable and uplifting with a positive message. It's the sort of film where you get the impression that the only thing the creators wanted to achieve was to put a smile on your face.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Sugary Sweet But Grounded Movie
Blk_Ne19023 November 2020
This movie is perfectly lovely. It is sweet and more grounded than your typical holiday movie. It has lots of cute moments too.

It does have the same trappings but it has more going on than them sort of movies. It runs rings around Hallmark movies as it is so inclusive and diverse. I will say it was a little bit too pious for me but that is just me and i guess some holiday movies are like that, it is about Christmas at the end of the day i guess.

I didn't love the dancing if i am honest too. It seemed a bit manic at time. It was hard to keep track of and it felt like there were just too much people all trying to dance together.

Christine Baranski is fantastic, i would watch her in anything. She is so great i was in fact kind of here for her being this no nonsense business lady just doing what ever she wanted. I don't think the movie wanted me to feel like that but she is just so good.

The acting starts to plummet from there though apart from Jeniffer Lewis and Dolly. I really didn't enjoy the pastor or any of the towns people to be fair. At times when watching just the towns folk i felt like it bordered on your local church group putting on a Christmas show. I even skipped some of their songs because it was pretty bad.

I think you could probably watch it if ou like this type of movie, like i said it does have something over Hallmark movies and it has Christine Baranski and Jennifer Lewis that is all you really need.
27 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard to watch
murphytwerps23 November 2020
I love musicals, I love Dolly and I love Christine Baranski. I hate this movie. The story is utter garbage, character motives are nonsensical, the songs are horribly written and the acting is hard to watch, bar 2/3 exceptions. Christine Baranski does what she can with the role, but the bad writing combined with the surprising amount of religion heavily sprinkled throughout this movie, I found myself pulling my hair out. I hate this move so much and I will never ever watch it again.
45 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a Musical For Sure
debdobson-9590826 November 2020
I love musicals and I love Dolly but wow this movie contains nonstop music. It was a little hard to get my head around it. I probably won't watch it again and I do watch movies I like over and over again.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dolly is literally an angel on this perfect musical
nethy-nho23 November 2020
Seriously already an classic christmas movie, have a perfect soundtrack, with great performances and choreographies and a consistent story with magic, mystery, have some regular characters but in general, Dolly and the protagonist hold the movie, reminded me Scrooge and still have your own originality.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy and awful but all in a good way
jakethesnake-4200723 November 2020
Ok you have to go into watching this with an open mind. The sets are like it's a play and I think that's the point and that's what oddly worked for the film. The songs are fun and serious and again it oddly worked. The acting is over the top and at times bad but it's a Christmas musical what do you except. The plot has been done countless times before but with Dolly she just makes it magical. Overall it's full of chess and over the top acting and musical scenes but it all works cause you can't take Christmas in the square serious.
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Christmas Movie Ever
joliley23 November 2020
I loved Dolly Parton Heartstrings and I love Christmas movies. This was so bad I turned it off after 5 minutes.
30 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That was just terrible
ojdg23 November 2020
I have never written an IMDB review before, but this movie was so mind-bogglingly terrible, I can't stop myself.

I love Christmas movies. I love Dolly Parton! I love musicals!!

But the biggest Christmas miracle is this movie getting a 5.1 average.... Wow, just wow.. The acting, the story, it's all ten times worse than, say, the Princess Switch, seriously.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nauseatingly awful
martin-olsen8225 November 2020
It's bad. Really bad. The writing, the effects, the singing, the choreography, the sets. There are some talented people involved, but sadly their talents are obviously consumed by the general awfulness of everything around them.

Seriously, don't think that it'll be funny. It won't.

Oh, and the constant harping on about religion and piety just makes it that much worse.

Our baby shrieking was a welcome distraction.
21 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alcohol needed...
alainabelameh19 December 2020
I am writing this mid-watching, and I must say, I haven't laughed this much in ages! Cue 5 espresso martinis and this turns into a hilarious comedy! Dolly is the most glam homeless person I've ever seen & the music is CHEESE! Horrible musical, but if you fancy a giggle, it's worth watching! A mentally challenging film, with or without the booze!!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My limit was 35 mins..
erhanipekciler3 December 2020
I love musicals but this was a little boring one. Story is so familiar, nothing is new actually, musics are so easy and simple almost in every song there were only 2 notes so that makes kind of boring...i couldn't get in the movie.. i didn't feel the christmas sprit.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Campy Mess
pierce-mn124 November 2020
This is really so bad that it's kind of fun. The story is dreadful, a merging of A Christmas Carol and It's A Wonderful Life, with vapid, uninspired characters singing mediocre music and lots of silly moments. It's heartfelt, but essentially empty. It's nice background noise while you're doing other things like cleaning the bathroom.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not to be a Grinch...
roosviews23 November 2020
I had such high hopes. I mean, c'mon... Dolly? Christine? Jennifer? Seriously hard hitters here!! The very first scene with people dancing in the square had a huge "Best Little Wh*rehouse in Texas" vibe... and it just kept going downhill from there. There are so many different storylines going on, and it feels like you've been dropped in the middle of all of them.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vomit inducing
assenal19 December 2020
This is over acted and under written. How this got the go ahead I do not know. The lyrics and songs and general writing is so basic as if a child wrote it. A slightly deranged child with learning difficulties. Its just so sickly like a school play.

If you are constipated or bolimic then this movie will sort you right out.

It's gone a long way to killing my affections for Christmas!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laughably bad
davidcmorrish23 November 2020
I honestly couldn't really tell you what this was about. I don't think Dolly could. I don't think the writers could to be honest.

It's such a tragic awful mess and hugely predictable at times, while overwhelmingly confusing at others and they suddenly burst into random awful forgettable songs.

My favourite part is towards the end when they give solo performers fairly sizeable songs and scenes - WHEN THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THE FILM UNTIL THIS POINT. Lolsies

Shame shame shame
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uplifting and enjoyable if you let it be
melissacarvell-455353 December 2020
Wonderful songs and message of light and forgiveness. Because the story is set over a couple of days you can't look into it too hard but it's throughly enjoyable and packs a punch if you embrace it for what it is. I'm planning to watch it again this side of Christmas, when work and planning gets too stressful.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Movie even if it isn't a blockbuster
cmheatherly23 November 2020
First of all, if you are looking for blockbuster quality, high production value, you've come to the wrong place. This is, however, is a great movie, with a great cast, amazing message and even better music. Yes, some parts are sappy but it is much better than any Hallmark movie.

The story is inspirational and especially relevant for the holiday season. The music is beautiful. Debbie Allen did a great job directing especially given the resources she had.
16 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a fan of Christmas movies
shanthny30 November 2020
This isn't bad. It's not really good, but it's a Christmas film so it's cheesy and cheery and the songs are corny but sung well(especially Dolly). I don't really agree with organized religion or it's inclusion with Christmas, but I get that some people do so it is what it is, a religious Christmas movie.

Some of the lip-syncing was bad at times, but I enjoyed the LGBT+ inclusion and dancers.

SPOILERS: But what was with them justifying the dad giving the antagonists child away because he was embarrassed???!! She was like "Oh well he thought it was the right thing to do and people make mistakes". Uhhh ignoring a woman's/parent's right to their child is a SERIOUS "mistake". And she just forgives her father like that? Girl spit on his grave, destroy that prototype lamp, and burn his portrait.

Also what was with the love story between the antagonists and the general store owner? It contributed nothing and was unresolved...
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely dreadful
assenal20 December 2020
Cringe is the word here. I think dolly went prowling churches and homeless shelters looking for the cast of this one.

It started bad and at a very rapid pace, steamrolled its way down, crashing through the gates of hell where it was quickly rejected too.

It was hard enough to watch, never mind the difficulty I had keeping my dinner down!

Self indulgent doesn't even begin to cover it!

Dolly, why?
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zero iisnt an option
bdbbelameh19 December 2020
I'm still watching with twenty minutes to go and it feels like I've been watching for days. Where can I buy the DVD so that I can burn it. We did put on at eight and it's now midnight as we have had to pause so many times because we couldn't stop laughing. Please don't make a sequel to this. I think one movie is quite enough .
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So gloopy, it makes "A Wonderful Life" look like a horror movie....
CinemaSerf24 November 2020
Now, who doesn't like a bit of Dolly at Christmas? Well, add a little Treat Williams and make Christine Baranski a baddie, and that should have been a recipe for success. Well - it isn't. The whole thing is so sentimentally cheesy that it's almost excruciating to watch. The plot - insofar as that remotely matters - is a sort of "A Christmas Carol" affair, with Baranski deciding to sell her town to some property developers - and so she decides to deliver eviction notices to the populace with only days to go until Santa arrives. Dolly, complete with angel dust, decides to step in and stop the mean and wicked lady from carrying out her plan and... well, you can guess the rest. The whole thing reminded me of a cannibalisation of a school performance of "Godspell" I was in, in 1974 - the production and dance routines are staged to within an inch of their life - and a couple of episodes of "Glee". I doubt even at this time of year, this can resonate with anyone who isn't under ten years old - and I'm afraid Treat Williams just can't sing. One, perhaps, to leave the kids in front of the telly for, whilst you wrestle with the turkey but otherwise, even the schmaltzy lyric doesn't help. It might be borderline sacrilegious to say this but sorry, Dolly - this is terrible.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming Christmas Story
kamp-706-41807330 November 2020
I found this to be a charming Christmas story. The dancing reminds me of "West Side Story." The singing was more operetta than musical. Yes, it is vary campy. But so is "A Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol." So what, it is still fun. Predictable, yes, but then so is Santa Claus. Tis the Season.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything and the kitchen sink.
meadoways24 November 2020
Five minutes in and that was enough. Sickly cheesy vomit inducing. Everything here including if the kitsch(en) sink. I bet that is was a stage show but little effort on the set to make it look real. I've been looking forward to this for ages Shane as I'm a huge Dolly and Christina fan. Was this was just to much. If you put twenty drag queens in it couldnt be more camp.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So hokey.
teepleg-992-68461323 November 2020
Oh, man. This was sooo mawkishly sentimental and noticeably contrived. I watched the whole thing because I love Christine Baranski and Dolly Parton (and usually love all Dolly's projects) and this contained very good acting (except for a few quips here and there that were reminiscent of amateurs in a stage play that is a comedy instead of a musical drama).

It would have been better if cut down to one hour by removing (or at least depopulating) several of the most overpopulated and ridiculous dance numbers. (Then it could have just been included as one Dolly's 'Heartstrings' episodes, which are all good.)
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.