Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 47 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for violence, terror and disturbing images|
Sex & Nudity
- While a woman sleeps, a man videotapes her (we see her bare back, shoulders and one leg to the upper thigh) and we see the young man bare-chested and wearing boxer shorts when she turns the camera on him (it is implied that they had sex the night before).
- While climbing across a rooftop the wind blows a woman's skirt up and part of her underwear and upper thigh is briefly visible.
- Young women wear low-cut tops and dresses that reveal cleavage and bare shoulders in several scenes.
- A young man and a young woman kiss for an extended period
Violence & Gore
- The film as a whole is very graphic and horrific. It's not an easy film to watch.
- We see an enormous creature standing in a city street; smaller creatures drop from it, skitter across the ground, jump on people and bite them (we hear the creatures screeching, the people screaming and see the people writhing during the attacks).
- While in the safe house, a man's brutally mutilated corpse is seen on a stretcher very briefly.
- Four people walk through a very dark subway tunnel, they hear noises and see rats streaming past them, they then see creatures moving along the ceiling toward them, and the creatures drop to the ground and attack them: a young man is knocked to the ground and a young woman beats one creature to death, a young woman is attacked and bitten (this creature is also beaten to death), and the four people run away, crush another creature in a door (blood spurts and covers the camera lens) and hide (each of them has a bloody wound and one young woman has deep, bloody bite marks on her back).
- A small creature drops from a ceiling toward four people, a young man beats it with a fire axe and we see the creature writhing and hear it screaming (goo or blood splatters on the wall behind it).
- The characters are taken into a hideaway, where several people have bloody wounds being treated. A man's brutally maimed corpse is show being wheeled on a stretcher briefly onscreen.
- People crowd onto a bridge and try to move across it, one of the vertical supports is pushed down (we see a young man crushed and taken down by it), the bridge begins to collapse, people run frantically back, and many fall as the bridge falls into the water below.
- A character's girlfriend is found with a metal rod protruding out of her chest (blood is seen on her shirt), before the characters yank the rod out of her, with blood and pus spurting out.
- From an aerial view we see many bombs being dropped on an enormous creature, the creature is struck, it leaps into the air, grabs onto a helicopter and forces it to crash (we see the scenery spinning and then the rubble afterward) and there are survivors but one is badly injured (we see blood on his head and leg).
- People rush to the roof of a building to see what's happening, they see an explosion and fire in the distance, flaming shrapnel careens through the air toward them causing more explosions, and they run back into the building and out to the street below.
- A tall building collapses and sends a cloud of dust and rubble through streets (people run and scream).
- Armed soldiers open fire on a creature as it moves through streets, and we see many flashes of gunfire. A tank also fires at the creature, and there are many explosions and bursts of gunfire. Scene is very intense and chaotic.
- The shadow of a woman exploding is seen, with blood spraying on the curtain.
- An armored vehicle is thrown through the air and crashes into other vehicles.
- The severed head of the Statue of Liberty is thrown a great distance and crashes onto a crowded street (people run and scream).
- We see people being treated by emergency teams and we hear one woman in an ambulance screaming frantically.
- People hide inside a store, and the glass windows are blown in (no one is shown to be injured).
- People break store windows and begin looting.
- There are several uses of "Oh my God", as well as around 20 uses of the s-word. However, the movie is filmed on a camcorder, and sometimes the background dialogue is difficult to hear. Thus, not all profanities are entirely audible. There are no uses of the f-word.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Many people are shown drinking alcohol (beer, wine and liquor) in an extended party sequence in the beginning of the film
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The found footage style of the film could make some viewers nauseous. When the film was first released, people were leaving the theaters because the camera motion made them queasy.
- The scene in which the three main characters try to cross from one building to the other is intense.
- The movie itself is hauntingly realistic, as it depicts the panic and terror of people amidst a crisis. Some scenes are very reminiscent of the 9/11 attacks as well. This is one of the most realistic, and terrifying monster movies ever made.
- The iconic scene where the Statue of Liberty's severed head flies into the middle of the street is very sudden and intense.
- The film as a whole has a very dark and depressing tone.
- After the first 20 minutes, it stays intense and frightening throughout.
- Small creatures drop from the monster that attack and bite people. The bites cause harmful effects to humans. Their appearance and movement may be extremely unsettling to some viewers.
- The whole movie is photographed on a home movie camera. The camera is very shaky (especially at action scenes). That may cause motion sickness.
- The overwhelming sense of fear and dread felt throughout the movie could possibly even classify this as a horror film.
- The initial monster attack comes out of nowhere and completely without warning. It is very shocking.
- A scene where the main characters are walking through a dark subway tunnel and are then attacked by several insect-like creatures. Blood flecks on the camera lens at one point. Very scary and intense.
- A young woman staggers toward another young woman and says, "It was eating people."
- A young man listens to a phone message from a young woman saying that she is bleeding and she cannot move.
- A young man remembers a report about someone setting homeless people on fire in subway tunnels.
- We hear reports of an earthquake in a large city and that an oil tanker capsized in a nearby river.
- Although we usually only catch quick glimpses of the monster itself, one scene shows the entire monster. It has an absolutely horrific appearance, standing hundreds of feet tall and has an extra pair of arms, black eyes, and gigantic sharp teeth. It also has a terrifying roar.
- People are shown crying uncontrollably and screaming in fear when they watch their friends and loved ones being killed.
- There is a loud rumble and the ground shakes causing people to scream and the power flickers and sirens blare.
Sex & Nudity
- Rob finds his girlfriend in her apartment with an iron rod punctured into her breast
Violence & Gore
- A man looks up and sees the creature, only to be eaten after it notices him and the inside of the creature's mouth we hear the man's scream until he abruptly stops and his legs are seen chomped off with blood, implying he was killed
- Blood seeps from a young woman's eye, she says she doesn't feel good, she is grabbed and dragged away by officials, she screams, and we see her explode into blood and pieces in silhouette behind a canvas tarp (blood and matter spray on the tarp).
- A young man and a young woman hide under a small bridge, they hear explosions in the distance and approaching, rubble and dust fall around them, and we hear their voices and the scene ends.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A young man tells his mother on the phone that his brother was killed.