Unpregnant (2020) Poster

(2020)

DON'T LET THE LOW RATING DISCOURAGE YOU
angieortiz-ri12 September 2020
Unfortunately, when you have a film centered around a "controversial" topic such as abortion, there's going to be thousands of biased, 1 star ratings that bring the average score down real low. The majority of which from people who didn't even watch the movie. "Unpregnant" is not your average "chick flick." In fact I watched it the first time with my male friend and he really enjoyed it. It's witty, adventurous, and pretty original. In most of these teen adventure/comedies, the humor is too forced, storylines are cliché and not well developed. However, nothing about "Unpregnant" seemed too forced. The humor was casual and enjoyable, it had a great, catchy soundtrack, and character development. Along the way, the girls met many interesting characters and faced various obstacles that were actually unexpected and fun. It was a good mix of silly and serious. None of the scenes dragged out, it had a good pace, and a satisfying ending. So again, don't look at the ratings and listen to these 1 star reviews... if this movie interests you, give it a try. I think it's worth the watch, and it's free on HBO MAX so why not!
87 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing and original
sherylchilders8210 September 2020
I was so afraid she wouldn't end up getting the abortion, and I was so happy when she did. We are so used to seeing this topic portrayed in seemingly empathetic light, only to have our hearts ripped out (as women), when the "moral" of the story is always that abortion is something that happens to "other people". Sure, it's ok if it's someone else, but "we" don't believe in it for ourselves. This attitude is reflected by the mother in the end, which brings us back to reality and offers a sobering effect. But, the real gravity of this film comes form the main portrayal of a young teenage girl who is still a child, but grown up enough to make a conscious and definitive choice for herself.

When I think about it, I don't think I have ever seen a portrayal of abortion from the unique perspective of a young person. It reminds you what it was like to be young, and how unserious life was, but that doesn't mean there is not wisdom and understanding, that they cannot make their own decisions. As is so well displayed by the lead actress - she is old enough to get pregnant and give birth, but not to get an abortion?

I've never seen such a convincing and comforting expression of a feminist and reproductive rights perspective. The "pro-life" people as horror characters was a bit over the top, but somehow necessary. Because, this is truly how these people look from the other side. So many abortion debate portrayals are unnecessarily sensitive to the anti-abortion side, when there is so much exploitation and manipulation from them. It was refreshing to see them portrayed for what they are - total weirdos who make other people's business their own.

This is a comedy, so it doesn't get into the complicated and heavy stuff regarding morality and social issues surrounding abortion. It doesn't address the power dynamics of keeping women in positions of parenting over professional life, but I think a smart person can extrapolate the implications. Ultimately, this is an important work of feminism. But, it was also very entertaining and fun, which is a little weird considering the topic. Maybe I won't remember this a year from now, but I have no doubt it will have made an unconscious impression.
113 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm Pro-Choice and Didn't Like It. Here's Why.
Doc_Blue14 September 2020
I thought the first half hour was great and that the two leads were quite charming throughout, aside from being occasionally annoying. Unfortunately, it eventually becomes a generic road trip comedy that is only distinguished by its agenda, which can't be appreciated due to how heavy-handed it is and how it ultimately goes to contrived lengths to beat you over the head with it.

First off, there's a difference between thinking abortion should be legal and thinking that all states should allow a child to get one without their parents knowing. That's what this film is advocating, yet never really says why a kid should be allowed to get an abortion without their parents knowing. I'm not aware of any medical procedures that a minor can have done without their parents knowing. I'm not saying the filmmakers are wrong, but I'm saying reasoning should be given as to why something as drastic as an abortion should be the exception.

There's nothing in here that will make anyone change their mind, which I think is a missed opportunity. Instead of being insightful and empathetic towards all perspectives, it just acts like thinking children should be able to get abortions without parental permission is common sense that needs no elaboration, and depicts anyone with a different perspective as an idiotic creep. There are pro-life characters who are essentially villains straight out of a cartoon.

And I'm for abortion, but I also acknowledge the emotions involved and the common internal conflict. Not much of that is presented here, other than worrying about what her religious mom will think. It's about a girl who after finding out she's pregnant, instantly wants an abortion, and goes and gets one. And when getting one, it's heavy-handedly presented as this wonderfully blissful experience.

And the road trip elements are really generically executed. I think there's about seven montages. And they also throw in some really unnecessary cliches. A 17 year old character is seduced and kissed by a character who doesn't have their age disclosed, but is clearly much older and is played by an actress who is 28. I don't think it being between two females makes it any less weird and it serves no purpose because she is never seen or acknowledged again, other than being followed on Instagram.

To all the people proudly rating this a 10 who openly didn't think it deserved one or didn't even watch it, and just wanted to combat the ratings from pro-life people......you know you're essentially doing the same thing they're doing, right? It's a movie. Analyze it as a movie and how well-made it is. Don't just automatically give it a 10 because it supports an agenda you agree with. That's just as childish as automatically giving it a 1 because it supports an agenda you don't agree with.
53 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet and NECESSARY
nlparker-4046112 September 2020
Unpregnant is the type of movie I wish existed when I was a teen. Informative, cute, emotional. Please, more real girls exerting control over their bodies and choice in buddy road trip films. The narrative around abortion is riddled with so much fear and shame, this needed to be made.
49 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Important
jerricaholmes11 September 2020
Dang, all the pro-lifers are BIG mad about this movie. Honestly, it's a fun, informative, reality check on what so many people have to go through for something that should be basic healthcare. All in all, worth the watch!!
90 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pro life please go
Misty_Fox11 September 2020
I noticed this film getting brigraded by pro-life/anti-abortion people. I almost never leave reviews but I just had to say that anyone who thinks a victim of sexual assault (and yes, the situation as described IS ASSAULT) should toss an Ivy League acceptance letter aside to birth a child is a sociopath.

As for the movie, it was a unique take on the girls road trip genre. A bit cheesy at times but still modern and refreshing. Worth a watch.
60 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie with a good message
laurenwantstoplaypokemon11 September 2020
Abortions are nothing to be ashamed of. This movie is trying to normalize them, instead of encouraging young girls to live in shame of having an abortion by their own free will. PRO CHOICE.
80 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightful
seling-4539414 September 2020
It was delightful and surprisingly had a couple of plot twists so it wasn't as predictable as what I thought it might be. It also highlights the misfortunes young women are faced when they are not provided with access to healthcare options and education surrounding pregnancy and parenthood. Great film!
35 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disregard the reviewers worried about others bodies outside their own
DPrimaky9411 September 2020
Just starting this movie so will give my review after, but to the two commenters bashing abortion... WHY even watch a movie with a subject you disagree on? Weirdos
51 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wouldn't necessarily give it a 10.
kyliemc-6932412 September 2020
I honestly just gave it a 10 to counteract the pro birth people giving it a 1. Very good acting. Accurate representation and a good message that women should do what's best for them whether that means getting an abortion or having the baby.
61 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great coming of age story
egppdj10 September 2020
I absolutely adored this movie, it kept my attention, and I felt like I was right there with the characters.
39 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever and interesting, bolstered by very strong leads
rowanfirthmasi10 September 2020
I loved the lead actresses coming into the film and they in no way disappointed, with their performances being a huge part of making what could be a difficult plot into a sweet, charming, thoroughly enjoyable journey through the southern United States. There are relatively weak moments but the lead actresses are more than enough to overshadow any momentary drops. From someone who thankfully isn't American, the hoops that the characters are forced to jump through to attain what should be a simple procedure and the politicization of something that shouldn't matter to anyone outside of the pregnant individual is terrifying.
33 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of people that miss the point of the film
the_hawk819 September 2020
A 17 year old women gets pregnant accidentally and cannot tell anyone she knows. Her family are extremely Christian and her "best friends" are looking for drama in the school. She cannot ask for aid from anyone. She has no one. Then she discovers she cannot get an abortion in the state she lives in. That is reality for women that live in states like Missouri. That is what the film is conveying: these decisions are difficult, they require proper support to come to the best conclusion for the women. She is deprived from this and makes a decision to drive a 1,000 miles. Who would want that for there kid? A lot of reviewers are focusing on a "women getting an abortion is bad" and not thinking about what put her there to make that decision alone.
17 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really Good
michaeltrivedi10 September 2020
I liked this small movie. Nothing too special here but hit all the right spots, again and again. Joyous movie that really relates.

Got kinda boring towards the last half, but still a great ride. Liked it a lot.

Girl gets pregnant and heads on a road trip to the place to get an abortion. Fun and learning life lessons ensue.

Recommend

6 stars
38 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Road Trip!
fleck05-485-20898128 September 2020
Road trip movies are always best when the characters hit the road with a goal in mind. Who can forget Hope and Crosby heading for Morocco, or Brian and Stewie heading for Morocco?

In Unpregnant, Veronica hits up her former BFF, Bailey, to help her get to the nearest abortion clinic. Turns out the closest is hundreds of miles away in Albuquerque (that place where Bugs Bunny always misses his left turn).

Like all good "Road To..." movies, madcap high jinx and hilarity ensues! Can these two former BFF's - now polar opposites - travel together without making each other crazy? Will Veronica decide to get an abortion, or carry her pregnancy to term and adopt her beautiful child out to a loving family? Well, the movie is called Unpregnant, so...
21 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really liked it !!
chlonkie12 September 2020
I only watched this for the lesbian representation tbh but I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the movie so much ! It has a rly good message, its entertaining & visually appealing, and the characters were relatable :^) overall a good movie im glad I watched it
30 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie we needed
stroxell112 September 2020
Ignore the crazies, this movie is something so many people need to see. It's not unrealistic, and it really shows a side of abortion that not many people understand.
26 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well written and acted, this movie will stay with you far after the credits roll
jessieburke-3089310 September 2020
As a man, this movie really helped me understand the importance of why women may need to have an abortion, and I'm really glad that I saw it.
32 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
yes this is complicated twisted fun...
ops-5253510 September 2020
A fizzy girlie road trip caused by pregnancy and the search for a clinic that serves hush hush juveniles to do the doomsday procedure.But deadmeat for all the beef-eating antiabortionists, and itll be like wacking two firestones at eachother and the cirkel of demonstrators around each and every family-planning center will grow larger than this.

in fact its a freakingly well made movie, with lots of funny twists, and easyidentyfiiable situations that i guess everyone have or have been next too if over 20 yrs of age. as the male caracter said, its statistically very hard to get pregnant, its not a heresay, its the darn truth. me and my wife strove for years to make our three, its not a chaboing thing to make.

but aside from that its a great coming of age flick,a debutant for the big screen there are in supporting actress too and its comedy ,dont forget that, and a little bit lessie fair you will get. so its a well recommended flick from the grumpy old man.
35 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not bad but like eh
ForeverChynaa11 September 2020
I think the film is nicely shot and edited. I enjoyed the scenes aesthetically. The subject isn't something that everyone is gonna be like excited about. I mean if your pro choice you'll like this and If you're not then well I doubt you even watched a minute. I Don't think this has much rewatchablity but if you wanna feel better about your choices then I think it'll help.
19 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacular movie featuring amazing acting and characters.
jessiecburke10 September 2020
This movie was one of my favorite movies that I've seen in a long time. It was the perfect mix of comedy and drama, and each of the characters had depth and were fully developed. It handled the importance and scariness of having to go through an abortion, and it couldn't have been released at a better time with this political climate. It shed light on why women should be able to have an abortion, and just how challenging it is to get one. What a woman does with her body is her choice, and this showed that so very well.
29 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm pro-choice, but this movie is bad!
todd-ramirez14 September 2020
I kept forwarding because the dialog, plot and everything else is so bad I couldn't wait for it finish. It was also 90% predictable. But hey I'm pro-choice. But that's not enough for me to even give it more than 2/10.
24 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yessss
alexarhopson24 October 2020
This movie shows the reality of so many girls and women in America. Abortion is a right and this movie is actually a very entertaining way to shed light on an important issue. So worth the watch.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent characters, cast and plot
jessiecburke10 September 2020
Absolutely loved it, both funny and bittersweet, with superb acting and great writing.
24 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute 10 star movie ...
thom-gillespie11 September 2020
Flipping all the cliches on their collective heads. Referencing everything from Thelma & Louise and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to Juno with great female leads. It starts out slow but like any road trip you have ever seen picks up speed with each passing mile.

Highly recommended and I think Jerry Falwell, Becki and their Poolboy would approve.
25 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.