Seventh Moon (2008) Poster

(2008)

A Mediocre Supernatural/Horror Movie – or "What's the Point"
MrHarley18 October 2009
When this movie came out, I was genuinely hopeful. The concept of hungry ghosts is a central part of the tradition of Chinese Ancestor Worship, and had great potential for an excellent movie melding the supernatural and horror. The script writers even set it during an actual event in the Chinese year, a festival sharing much in common with the true traditions of All Hallows Eve. Unfortunately, that is as far as it went.

The film does not make the error that many movies make substituting gore for horror. There is enough blood to add to the suspense, and increase the tension that is central to this kind of movie. The script is serviceable. The protagonists never engage in the typical "how could they be so stupid" stereotypes of a true horror film. Their actions, at times foolish, were consistent with their characters as urban Americans enjoying their honeymoon in an exotic land. The actions of the other characters in the film are similarly plausible.

The problem is that the movie never really comes together. You vaguely like the young couple, and that's about it. You respect the actions of the only other real player in the movie towards the end, but I doubt he even has a total of ten minutes of screen time. The monsters are scary, and appropriately monstrous. None of this is the makings of great cinema.

My wife, upon the conclusion of the movie, asked me "What's the Point?" She meant it rhetorically, because we both had no trouble understanding what was going on during the movie. Yet that comment sums up succinctly my own reaction upon watching it. It wasn't a waste of 87 minutes of my life, and since the rental was free I don't feel ripped off. It's just very sad when this had the potential to be a very good movie.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good concept, but a bit of a mess
Heislegend20 November 2009
I didn't know what to expect going into this. To be honest I had it in the back of my head that it would be just one more crappy Asian-style ghost story about some girl with long black hair. Luckily it was not, but it's still certainly not without it's faults.

OK, well to be fair this is *kind of* an Asian ghost story, but not the kind done to death since about 2000. It's based on the Chinese myth that under the full moon in the seventh month of the lunar year the dead can cross over to the land of the living. Fair enough...just like Halloween in some countries. But these things aren't some wussy little ghost...they're more like humanoid demons. So it scores some cool points for concept. Now for the bad news...

I'm not normally one to pick on technical aspects of a movie, but there are some pretty major problems here. First is the lighting, or rather the lack of it. Many parts of this movie are so dark that it's not even scary. You have no clue what's going on because you can't see a damn thing. And then there's the camera work. A good part of this is filmed with that shaky handicam. While that's something I'd expect from some fake documentary-style film (it's still annoying even then, but it's a bit more understandable), it's just about unacceptable to use it this much in a film like this. I suppose someone thought it would give a sense of terror or something to the movie. They were wrong. So basically you're left with a seemingly cool premise all but ruined by someone's attempt to make the film something that it wasn't. Truth be told, that kind of sucks. But in the end it's not too bad.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good movie
MattJaa3 October 2009
Despite reading a couple of bad reviews I decided to give this movie a try and I'm glad I did. Some people may feel that the effects weren't terribly good but they didn't need to be; this movie was more about suspense. It's not a slasher movie, it's a movie with a story. It was definitely worth the watch. I was on the edge of my seat a several times, it was quite suspenseful and that's what I like in a scary movie. The acting needs some work but it wasn't so distracting that it took away from the story. There were a couple of times that left me scratching my head in confusion but overall a good movie. Give it a shot, not a bad way to spend an hour and a half.
37 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shaky Cam Strikes Again
randylanders10 February 2011
I'm not sure why there's this horrible fondness as of late for using hand-held steadycams, but it certainly makes an almost unwatchable mess of what is a very good story, very good acting, and seemingly a good production.

The story itself is an engaging one: honeymooners trapped in remote China with the undead seeking their lives. It's strongly steeped in Chinese mysticism, and had me from the get go.

The acting was really good. I'd never have thought someone like Amy Smart could pull off a role like this, and she did a great job.

Unfortunately, the use of shaky cam just detracts so much from the movie that parts of it are almost incomprehensible. Directors need to realize that this particular technique is being OVERDONE and makes for really bad cinema.

Hopefully this trend will soon fade... Otherwise you can't help but wonder how many more movies will be ruined by this technique.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No Ancient Chinese Secret
Greg31 October 2009
Part of the Ghost House Underground DVD series, Seventh Moon is based on the Chinese legend that on the full moon of the seventh lunar month, the gates of hell open and the dead can enter the realm of the living.

The film opens in China where we are introduced to newlyweds Melissa and Yul (Amy Smart and Chiou) as they walk the streets of China acting as regular and normal as any tourist – taking in the culture and enjoying the ethnical differences.

When Melissa and Yul are left by their guide, Ping, in a remote ancient village, their night of terror takes them through puzzling occurrences and face to face with some ghastly creatures.

As with most horrors, the tension and the events that lead to eventual terror takes time to build. It starts with their car being splattered with blood while the couple were investigating outside of the village. Smartly, the couple don't' try and stay to figure out why they were targeted. Instead, they get in their car and try and hi-tail it out of dodge. But when a mysterious figure runs in front of their vehicle driving them off the road, Amy and Yul are soon on foot trying to evade the deadly beings that are in pursuit.

Seventh Moon is directed by Eduardo Sánchez who directed The Blair Witch Project in 1999 and the under appreciated Altered in 2006. Sánchez emulates his Blair Witch debut by shooting Seventh Moon with hand-held cameras and quick edits. This can get awfully annoying if you are not in the mood for unsteady camera work.

Although the atmosphere and the intense mood of the film gets high marks, the film fails by not offering anything new to the genre. Spooky as it was at times, the shaky camera doesn't allow the audience to get to know the characters as well as a steady-cam. It is bad enough that the setting all takes place at night where visibility is poor to begin with. Couple the setting with the constant shaking and un-centered camera efforts, and there isn't any time for emotional investment amongst all the other distractions to care whether the two leads live or die.

The first half being watchable and the second half evoking a 'please-hurry-I-have-things-to-do' response, Seventh Moon (which copied way too much from The Descent) is just average. And in this genre, that just doesn't cut it.

www.killerreviews.com www.robertsreviews.com
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hellish Honeymoon
Claudio Carvalho31 August 2010
In accordance with the Chinese Myth, on the full moon of the seventh lunar month, the gates of hell open and the spirits of the dead are freed to roam among the living.

Melissa (Amy Smart) and her husband Yul (Tim Chiou) are spending their honeymoon in the month of the ghosts in China, where they intend to visit his relatives. They participate in the Senwun (Ghost Festival) during the day, where they drink a lot of booze, and their driver Ping (Dennis Chan) heads to Anxian when the nights falls. A couple of hours later, Ping parks his car and tells that he is lost. He asks the couple to wait for him in his car while he asks for directions in a small village in the countryside. One hour later, Melissa and Yul decide to seek out Ping in the village, and they see the houses closed with live offering and the locals saying something in Cantonese. Yul does not understand what they are saying and the couple returns to the car and drive away trying to find the way back to the city. Sooner they meet a stranger, Wei, wounded on the road and Melissa decides to help the man. They are attacked by creepy creatures and they discover that the spirits of the dead are hunting the living. Melissa and Yul try to find a way to protect themselves and survive the hellish night.

"Seventh Moon" is a forgettable low-budget horror movie with a reasonable story and basically four characters only. Unfortunately the camera work is awful, with excessive use of closes and blurred while showing the fiends, maybe due to the limited budget for special effects. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "A Maldição da Sétima Lua" ("The Curse of the 7th Moon")
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ancient Chinese Secret....
Raegan Butcher13 December 2009
Amy Smart and Tim Chiou are a vacationing couple in China. Dennis Chan is their smiling tour guide. After a brief credit-sequence he drives them to a remote rural area and vanishes. The two Americans are stranded in the countryside. Suspicious villagers,duplicitous taxi drivers and hungry "moon demons" figure into the rest of the tale.

This is two thirds a good movie, because the last act is a bit weak. But for the most part this is a superior little chiller. Spooky use of sound, silence and darkness.Some have complained of the hand-held camera-work but I was not bothered by it.Along with ALTERED, this is the best film from Eduardo Sanchez.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There's a reason Seventh Moon never caught on
CharlesTisMe3 September 2009
This is easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen, ever.

Like the user comment before mine, I saw it at Fantastic Fest, an annual must of film festivals, and one year later with 09's fest about to start - I am still compelled to urge people not to waste two hours of their life on this nearly unwatchable waste of celluloid.

The pacing is awful, the action is laughable, and it all culminates in one of the silliest, most disappointing endings Fantastic Fest has ever been privy to. Plus the camera-work is nauseatingly distracting.

There is nothing redeemable about this movie. Exit your browser now and forget you ever heard of it.
36 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too classical for most tastes?
p-stepien13 October 2011
A pair of newlyweds decide to spend their honeymoon in China, where Yul (Tim Chiou) intends to visit his relatives, including his grandmother Nai Nai. His love Melissa (Amy Hart) finds joy in their first days of stay, extremely pleased with the exotic appeal of the Hungry Ghost festival. After this event they drive out to finally visit Yul's family, only for their driver Ping (Dennis Chan) to get lost somewhere in the Chinese countryside. He goes into a small village to ask for directions, but fails to return. Yul and Melissa set out to find him, but instead encounter offerings of live animals. Apparently the ghosts are not a myth, but actually the Asian cousins of the crawlers (from the movie "Descent").

Eduardo Sánchez of "Blair With Project" fame executes his new endeavour with some old-style classical frights mixed with some of his trademark hand-held camera filming. All mounted assuredly on the shoulders of a rather traditional and unadventurous script together with some rip-off monsters. In short - nothing really innovative or creative of note. That said all elements are well handled. The eeriness, frights and basic storytelling is all present and as such manage to engage for the duration. Several plot points to stick out like a sore thumb and given how little of a story there actually was it is a major flaw of the movie. The biggest irk is the seemingly unresolved issue of Yul's final wish.

Nonetheless a horror with a very classical feel to it. It won't get extra marks for pushing any boundaries, but definitely heads over heels above most horrors churned out nowadays. The rating on IMDb does seem on the low side for my taste, especially given how highly graded dozens of craptacular genre pieces are.

Both leads do a decent enough job to make you care for their fate, but the script would have done better with some further character build-up. As it is the movie feels awkwardly rushed in many places, but overlong in others. Despite not being a hand-held camera fan I found that this time around it worked especially well and added some gritty tension to the story delivery.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting, but lost it's way
ericmcmillan18 April 2010
I originally gave this move a seven, but then changed my mind after having fallen asleep TWICE trying to watch this film.

The movie began well enough: newlywed Americans in China enjoying the sights and sounds of the region. They get a little tipsy, have their guide drive them back to their resort only for the driver to become "lost" along the way. The driver looks for directions in the middle of the night and does not return. The couple goes to the little town and are haunted by the darkness, the voices, and the animals left out for sacrifice.

Then they come; the moon demons(?), undead, "zombies"... whatever you call them they are scary. The couple come across a man, injured, along the road and decide to take him with them. The undead follow them to a small town and seek them out.

All of this is interesting: dead people chasing down alive people to satisfy their hunger for fresh flesh (hence, the animals for sacrifice), a young couple who are lost and must depend upon each other, a protagonist in the group who'd rather deal you out to the undead in order to save his life... then it all goes to Hell.

The movie lost it's way when the couple find a house where all of these people are just standing around. The couple then drink something, have sex, and wake up in cages. Now, they are sacrifices. I fell asleep here, twice... this sequence of events totally disrupted the viewing of this movie and ruined it for me.

When I awoke, the girl was in a cave system (i.e., The Descent) and gets away, after seeing her husband become one of them.

Up until the house scene, this movie had a lot of potential. It was whithered away by changing the action so abruptly.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really nothing special
Nikola5 October 2009
I must disagree with everybody who has written a review here ( 3 people to be precise ),and I will try to explain why it is like that.

First of all,to the all the people who have commented about this title I must ask a simple question: Did anyone of you ever watched more than two horror movies in your life?

So the movie is about old Chinese myth that turns out to be real and not a myth at all.The story is very simple and not very original.I have expected more of Eduardo Sanches since I liked ,,Altered,,.And to wait three years for something so average was certainly a disappointment.( Don't get me wrong,I don't think ,,altered,, the greatest movie of all time,but despite budget limitations and a few plot holes it was quite enjoyable and fun little b-movie).

The acting by Amy and Tim was OK,but my biggest problem was the look of moon demons( they were quite lame and ordinary in my opinion ).Some scenes at the end of the movie were a total ripoff of Descent by Neil Marshall.

Overall,this movie can be told in 2 minutes( I mean the story and everything that happens from the beginning to the end ).So the biggest problem of this movie is,like I said before,that it is so average it's painful.

While this certainly isn't the worst movie I have seen,it isn't the best one either.You won't be missing anything if you don't watch it,and if you do you'll say : Oh,well nothing special.

So since this is just an average movie I will give it an average grade 5 of 10.

P.S. Also for a horror movie,this flick isn't scary at all.
15 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Butchering of Chinese cultural beliefs
edj4 January 2010
If the writer/director had bothered to properly research the Chinese Ghost Festival on which this is SUPPOSED to be based, and actually provided some exposition that accurately portrayed the true Chinese belief this could have been a great film. The real myth has the potential to be so much scarier and disturbing than anything in this film. What the hell are those naked people painted in blue supposed to be? Those aren't based on anything in the Chinese belief. Apart from it being in the seventh lunar month, nothing in this film is accurate AT ALL! There are no "moon demons" in the legend! And they certainly don't go around abducting people. And the Chinese put out offerings not to appease hostile spirits, but to welcome the spirits of loved ones who were released from the netherworld to come to visit on this one night every year. Naturally, there can be a lot of scary elements to this myth. I just wish that the director had actually used some of them. But he didn't. He should stick to stuff he knows, or is willing to spend time researching, rather than taking liberties with another culture and doing it ALL WRONG. The only scary thing about this film is how xenophobic it is. Make up some bogus myth and attach "Chinese" to it to capitalize on the audience's willingness to demonize anything that is "other." Cheap.

Maybe two points for using actors who could actually speak Cantonese without accents. But minus one for running subtitles that didn't match what they were actually saying.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another good movie ruined by shaky camera
usn2713 December 2009
I just finished watching this movie. The story was decent, the acting was actually pretty good, and, unlike most horror movies coming out these days, it didn't look like it was shot on home video.

However, the camera work in this movie absolutely killed it for me. I already can't stand the 'shaky cam' technique when its in documentary style movies, but seeing it in any other style of movie really aggravates me. The lighting in this movie is horrible, the camera shakes so much you can't see what's going on, and its constantly zoomed in so close to everything that you can't make out much of anything when the camera *isn't* shaking all over the place.

Not one time do you get a clear shot of the ghosts. A pretty good movie, but in my opinion the camera work completely ruined it. One step above awful.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unwatchable-literally
arutha1000223 June 2014
Someone is a fan of shaky-cam (or just couldn't afford a steady cam). But not content with annoying the audience with shaky cam, nonsensical jump-cuts were added to not only make the audience nauseated, but annoyed as well. Half the movie is close-ups of people's faces and the other half of the movie is too dark to see anything. Very bad.

The story itself is nothing special. I was looking forward to it because I learned all about "Ghost Month" in Taiwan. The 7th lunar month is when spirits from the netherworld can come and cause mischief in our world, thus all the burning stuff to placate those spirits. It was more annoying than scary, interesting, or suspenseful.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Did they film this in a closet - on a merry-go-round??
jk90us16 January 2011
Here's what I'm guessing: The only film production term the director (LOL) of this POS ever learned was EXTREME CLOSE UP. Because that's all he BLEEPING shot! His "style" (LOL) of film making is to shove a hand held camera right into the face of each actor in every single scene. So all we ever see (or barely see) are noses, parts of their eyes, some hair, a chin, maybe an ear.

At least, I think that's what they were -- because the idiot kept shaking the BLEEPING camera while he did it. I thought Paul Greengrass was bad with all his crappy BS cocaine-pumped, hypersonic, epileptic, motion sickness style (LOL) of film making. But the guy who made this film makes him look like he's standing still and filming in slow motion.

And for all I know, they could have made this entire movie inside a closet. Not once did I see a wide shot or even a background in any of the scenes. Just close ups of faces. Nothing but faces. They almost showed some wide shots a couple of times, but then the director either set it out of focus or had weeds, trees or some other object obscure the shot.

BTW, the IMDb page states that Amy Smart is in this. IS SHE? All I saw were strands of blonde hair and tired looking eyes flashing past the camera every once in a while. I still have NO idea who it was. It could have been Paris Hilton. Who the hell knows?

Also, anyone know what the ghosts looked like in this thing? Because I have NO BLEEPING idea! All I saw (or sorta saw) were extreme out of focus close ups of something bald and white. That's it. I think. Still not sure.

Unless you like being totally confused AND extremely irritated, avoid this flick at all costs!!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Do Chinese demons think of Americans as exotic food?
siderite16 August 2010
This movie isn't original, but it does what it was set to do: scare people. Unfortunately, it is such a continuous cliché that I could not get enjoyment out of it, and that means it failed.

The plot is as simple as possible: Cute blonde with blue eyes goes to China with her Chinese fiancée, but one that is tall and talking with an American accent and probably stepping foot for the first time in China. they are terribly happy, she is all smiles and laughter and save the planet and all. She even gives expensive gifts to their Chinese driver.

Fast forward a few minutes later when they are lost in their cab in some remote Chinese village, with no driver in sight and a pint of blood poured over the car and they are not happy anymore. They drive like idiots, shout at each other, cursing and panicking. Who would have thought that those words could come out of that cute little blond mouth?

A few minutes later, white skinned demons probably related to the monsters in Descent are hunting them and so they are driving even worse, shouting even louder and cursing even worse. The demons aren't happy either.

Bottom line: if this would have appeared in 2000, it would have been a good movie. In the 90's it would have been brilliant, even if we had all those cannibal hillbilly movies in the American wilderness. I guess Chinese actors are simply cheaper. And so did this movie feel now, in 2010.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smartly made horror film with a few issues here and there
Adam Foidart18 April 2015
"Seventh Moon" is an effective little horror film that does a good job creating paranoia and delivers a good amount of scares. Melissa (Amy Smart) and Yul (Tim Chiou), are honeymooning in China to visit Yul's parents when they get lost in the countryside and end up in a small remote village. Their misfortune coincides with the night of the Seventh Moon, which, in accordance with Chinese Myth means that the gates of hell open and the dead can enter the world of the living.

It's a scary ghost movie that gets the basics right. It stays with a small cast of characters so you can get to know and care about them, It keeps its cards close to the chest to keep you interested and ensure your Imagination plays with some of the quiet moments too. I thought the creature designs were very effective because they are simple, but in a way that is unsettling because you don't quite know what to make of them (unlike say, someone running around with an ax; I might not know what the deal with the person is, but I know what bit to avoid there). I was kept in suspense as to who was going to bite the dust, if anyone and I liked how for the most part you don't see much, except in the shadows until the very end. Once again, letting your imagination play tricks on you and make the terror even more intense. Your imagination can run a little wild while the characters are trying just as hard as you are to figure out who or what is chasing them. While there are a few moments at the end that aren't totally effective, and throughout the movie there are stretches that are poorly shot (to the point where you'll be frantically trying to figure out what exactly is going) it genuinely scared me. That's the objective, it met It's goal and I think you will enjoy it too. There are some good surprises and plenty of fresh material within the frightening "Seventh Moon". (On DVD, November 11, 2012)
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really an amazing piece of work
y-453 February 2011
I started watching this movie with lowest expectations possible - really I did. I went watching it only because I wanted to free room on the HD but first 5 min into the film and I soon started realizing that it just might not be as bad, but still I really didn't expect to get this much out of it. First off - if you're one of the people who didn't like 'The Blair Witch Project' and don't put much into stuff like 'Cloverfield', 'Welcome To The Jungle' or 'Quarantine' then really don't go for this one either, but I gotta say it's your bad because this movie is and has all that a true horror movie should, and I don't mean horror like the whole 'texas chainsaw massacre' flick(of which I really like the 2 latest editions) or 'saw'(which I can't stand) etc. What I mean is horror down to the bone; one of those master-pieces not very much unlike the classics such as 'exorcist' or 'Amityville Horror'(the first 2) because what all these movies share is a real passion and love in being a part of this most underrated movie genre.

Well, I really don't care much about going into movie analysis or what not, the way that these things(This is my first review here) are meant to be done but I guess what I wanted(and felt obliged to) say is already said and that being the fact that this movie is rated so poorly and it doesn't even have a poster, so...

All in all this is real horror whether you know/like it or not, this is an expression of pure passion for this downtrodden genre and I won't say it scared the hell out of me, it didn't but it did something that is much tougher to achieve, what that is exactly I couldn't say, at least not in a few words and like I said I don't care much about semi-professional reviewing that is so much sought after on IMDb pages.

In short: If you think a new breed of horror has emerged with the making of Blair Witch Project and that it has continued uninterrupted ever since with some of the movies I mentioned above then this is your 2008's successor to that fragile but so far successful trend of making this genre stay fresh and up-to-date.

Gojo
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nauseating camera shake. Piece of crap.
goldenboy_10247 October 2009
Well the title says it all. If you are one of those who find camera shakes annoying then you'll be in for a party here. I really don;t know why some idiot directors have to film their movies this way. Eduardo Sanchez himself said that Seventh moon is a low budget trip to hell.

An American couple take their honeymoon in China. You see it's the groom's homeland (Tim Chiou, L.A. Proper), although he grew up in America mainly speaking English. His wife (Amy Smart, Crank) is just along to meet the ancestors. One night their tour guide (Dennis Chan, Knock Off) mysteriously strands them in a field near a very creepy cemetery adjacent to a village, with ritualistic sacrifices littering the ground. Soon the couple tries to flee, but a car accident where they hit a man stops them. The hurt Chinese villager barely croaks out "They're coming! They're here!" and soon everybody is attacked by creepy white Asian zombies. And so begins a bizarre chase as a pair of Americans have to fight their way across the Chinese countryside while being pursued by something evil that wants to eat them
6 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'd give it no stars!!!!!
dariomarkotic18 March 2018
A couple of hours ago I watched this movie on TV. I thought a horror flick would be something I'd enjoy and started watching this "masterpeice".

Umm I had no idea what was happening. I honestly thought my Cable company was pulling my chain by showing me a DivX port from an pirated cinema viewing.

I did some investigating watched few clips on youtube and fuck me The whole thing is genuenly someones attempt at cinematography. It's horrific and I'm confused how something THIS bad can be released for someone to enjoy it, seeing it here, the amount of stars that it has made me question people's sanity.

The WORST movie experience I've ever had. Screw the director.
Another Very Effective Horror Flick from a Blair Witch Alumni
Jeffrey Burton16 September 2016
People who are trashing this movie just aren't getting' it. This is a very effective and well thought out horror movie. It has an exotic locale with a strange local folklore that becomes too real for a newlywed couple. Eduardo Sanchez who co-helmed 'The Blair Witch Project' directs and co-writes with James Nash. The couple is chased by ghosts that come to claim souls every 'Seventh Moon'. The ghosts are very creepy and you don't really get a good look at them (which makes them scarier) until the end. All the performances are strong and while there is excessive 'shaky cam' the movie is very well filmed, in low light, with strong art direction and very natural cinematography. It's was also great to see Amy Smart. She's very good in this. Like Sanchez's 'Exists' I found this to be a damn good, simple but intelligent and SCARY indie horror movie. Give it a watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Packed with Scares, Suspense and Creepy creatures.
loomis78-815-98903424 April 2013
Based on a Chinese myth of the hungry ghosts that arrive one night a year in China. An offering is left for them as the dead rise through the gates of hell and look for offerings or victims. Melissa (Smart) and her Chinese/American husband Yul (Chiou) are on their honeymoon on this particular night as their tour guide Ping (Chan) gets lost in a rural part of China. Seeing a small village Ping says he is going to find help. Soon the couple finds themselves abandoned and later discover they have been left as sacrifices to the demon ghosts. The few glimpses they see of the pale figures on the road make them leave in a hurry. They come across a wounded man in the road and the demons attack all three of them once they get in the car. This becomes an all night test of survival as they fight for their lives. This relentless scare show from Director Eduardo Sanchez lays down an intriguing storyline and then opens the throttle to full blast. Let's start with the pale figured hungry ghosts. The design and look are eerily effective and Sanchez keeps them in shadows a lot. These are fierce buggers that pursue our couple and others in a truly frightening way. There is no let up and the suspense and scares are overwhelming. The pace is break-neck until the third act where it slows down enough to explain a little more. A chilling and nerve-wracking ending inside a cave is thrilling. Sanchez's story (writing with Jamie Nash) is creepy in itself. He knows how to write strong characters especially for women. Amy Smart is excellent in this role and her character is strong and heroic. In Sanchez's next film "Lovely Molly" he would repeat this strong Woman character. Part of the effectiveness of this film is having the characters out in the open in the middle of nowhere at night. Many tense moments have the couple hiding in tall grass as the pale figures are all around them. The pale figure hungry ghosts rank with the underground dwellers from "The Descent" as scariest creatures of recent memory. This is Eduardo Sanchez's scariest film to date and an excellent horror film packed with scares,
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Evocative of C.Jung "In the shadow is the gold."
aw143527 July 2012
It is true that the shadow is composed of the psyche's unwanted elements. But to quote Carl Jung, "In the shadow is the gold." Jung's comment underscores the truth that not all of the shadow's undesired contents are actually authentically undesirable.

While the movie begins with a blur of honeymoon bliss that devolves into a very slow start I have to praise the nature of the film. Any movie that evokes true emotion is worthy of it's pits. I personally got caught up in the rush of escaping the demons. It plays into that dream-like feel of trying to escape from the unknown and being in uncharted territory. I would say the last third of the movie is where the film blossoms by exposing more of the beauty of love and inner strength; it also increases the movie's storyline pace.

While I couldn't call it A+ horror I would say it's worth the watch. Amy Smart is the films jewel.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What the flip flying GOOSENUTS??? Ding-Dong-Blair-Witch-is-dead and Sanchez has destroyed his audience!"
slackwoo-19 October 2009
OKAY, I was a fan of the Blair Witch Project, I'm still a fan, loved the movie, loved the way they promoted the movie, pure genius! Hell, I even liked Blair Witch 2, OK story, good dialogue...great cast. Unfortunately, I watched Altered, a boring...clichéd...way overrated farce of a movie that should never have been made.

Then, Mr. Sanchez lowered himself even more by making the atrocious Ghost House Underground film: Seventh Moon. It started out promising and lost its pull about 20 minutes in. Any aspiring film maker - whether a student or not - can achieve making a film of this type. I mean, 97% of the film was shot in total darkness.

I won't even get into the fact that Mr. Sanchez obviously stole many scenes from The Descent and then in the final scenes blatantly slapped viewers in the face by being "artsy" & "eccentric". I'm disappointed, utterly disappointed in Mr. Sanchez - being a huge fan of Blair Witch even to this day - I'm sorry to say that I am boycotting all future movies by this director.

"George Clooney once killed the Batman franchise. Rob Zombie did the impossible and killed Michael Myers & the Halloween franchise. And Ding-Dong-Blair-Witch-is-dead and Sanchez has destroyed his audience!"

Alfred: "Some people just want to watch the world burn!"
6 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this