Surf's Up (Video Game 2007) Poster

(2007 Video Game)

a tour de force
araccoon27 July 2008
There is definitely something for everybody in this movie: it's visually stunning, funny, and poignant. Each character is a stand alone stereotype, but the ensemble presents a complex look at ourselves, as individuals caught up in life....and the forces in it that operate on us.

Like "Cars", it's a story about a young buck "coming of age", and learning a few life lessons along the way....but unlike so many of these kinds of films nowadays, it was refreshing in that it didn't rely on the passion of "boy meets girl" as the vehicle of transformation.

Instead, Cody's passion, and the changes that are the result of it, is simply pulled from who and where he is -the documentary woven into the storyline reinforces this: presenting both an engaging suggestion about the nature of stereotypes, and illustrating with humor the difference between "perception" and "reality".

I was surprised that nowhere is mention made of what seems to me to be the "point" of the story...at the end, after the tournament, when Cody is talking again to the documentary film crew....and they are asking him about Cody this and Cody that. Cody gives them their time, and then says something about being tired of talking about himself.

"Did you get what you need?" he asks them sincerely, heading for the surf (his passion). "OK, then, be good".....in that one little bite, the animation and voice over combine to fully nuance Cody's character.

To paraphrase the one great line from "Howard the Duck".... "The transformation is complete...Cody is now someone else"

A beautiful flick...it helps, I suppose, to have surfed....
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thought it would Suck, Surprised it was good
desspec9 August 2007
I don't know if it was the flood of CG movies out or something I heard, but I wasn't really looking forward to seeing this movie. But I gotta tell ya, I was totally surprised and wound up really liking the movie. It's not the best thing ever, but there are a few great things: First of all, the visuals are great, and the way they animate the water is absolutely amazing, from standard background water scenes to the surfing scenes, they did some amazing stuff. I was surprised to like the way they did the movie from the perspective a documentary, as it lent to some interesting camera shots.

The voices were a mixed bag, with some of them being bland (some fill in penguins) but others really standing out. Jeff Daniels does a great job and Shia LaBeouf has such an easy flow to his voice, that it fits his role in the film perfectly. I wasn't really blown away by Zooey Deschanel or James Woods in this one, especially considering how great Woods' voice was in Hercules, but they were okay.

But in the end, the fact is that I just really liked the story, I liked the message, and I was surprised they pulled it off. I guess I'm a sucker for a message with a feel-good "message" at the end, and this movie surprised me by having a bit of one.

So while it's not my favorite CG movie ever, it surprised me at how good it was. I give it a solid 8 out of 10 stars.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great, funny , spectacular
jadestar2630 June 2007
a great and funny heartfelt movie great for the kids and adults to enjoy and it shows how passion and dreams can take you a long way. it shows that the ocean can make your dreams come true. lose yourself in this enjoyable movie it is great if you have a great sense of humor and enjoy a light hearted comedy you don't just have to be a child to enjoy this as penguins are enjoyed by most people.To see a penguin make his dream come true shows us that anyone can make a difference.I really enjoyed this movie for it's animation and characters also for there choice of people to the voice overs.This is most certainly a movie that everyone can enjoy and have a great laugh to.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant Movie
p-dinning2 January 2008
This is one of the most enjoyable Family Films that I have seen in a long time. The animation was quite simply superb especially the surfing scenes. There were some absolutely hilarious moments in the movie too. One especially funny moment is when Zeek is helping Cody make a surf board. I also thought the characters who provided the voices were perfect. John Heder (fantastic in Napoleon Dynamite and Blades of Glory) was brilliant as Chicken Joe, as was Shia LaBeouf as Cody Maverick. I also thought Zooey Deschanel (brilliant in Elf)was great as Lani.The star for me though was Jeff Bridges who did a fantastic job as Zeek. I would recommend Surfs Up to everyone.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this