Up (2009) Poster

(2009)

Brilliant, another Pixar home run
Colin Nekritz30 May 2009
If there's a list of great computer animation movies of all time, Pixar would dominate most of the top positions. Great story, great voice talent, great timing, great for all ages. It'd be hard to pick just one above another and perhaps another viewing of Up may be in order to figure out where I'd place it among so much stellar work.

Up is by far the most emotional human drama of any Pixar movies thus far, very heavy, so much so if you're looking for pure fun with some jaw-dropping chase and/or thematic scenes and no downer moments, Up may not be for you. I saw it in a packed theatre of about a 65% adult, 35% adult split audience and it's the only time I can remember being in ANY animated movie where there was sniffles and watery eyes, and that was within the first 10 minutes of the movie. There's an undercurrent of life after losing a loved one in this movie, which I don't feel gives anything away. It's pretty heavy subject matter, Pixar handles it, like they do everything they touch, incredibly well, but it doesn't make it any less sad to have the material threaded throughout much of the movie you're reminded of it, but I suppose it's up to one's own interpretation of loss and how to place it in your life that perhaps will have an emotional effect on you.

Story is what makes a great movie great. Without story, you don't really have anything, maybe some effects, some action, maybe some cute or clever sight gags, maybe some laughs, hopefully some emotion, where Pixar shines above all others in animation and over a good 99% of the movies out there is they can intertwine it all and do it seemingly effortless, which is an incredible feat. To do this in a few movies is one thing, but Pixar has pretty much nailed this now for their entire career of making movies, that's just simply unprecedented.

I should note I saw the 3D version which, to be honest, didn't really take the movie to the next level. One of the more well known syndicated reviewers had said you're better off seeing the non-3D version on screen, and I actually agree. The 3D glasses added little to nothing to the movie except for an eye-strain headache later in the night. It didn't take away from Up mind you, it just didn't add to it either.

Up is a great movie either way you slice it and it should be noted, the theatre I saw it in gave it a fairly loud round of applause at the end. It's pretty rare these days that an audience applauds after a movie, perhaps we as a society has become too jaded, or too just expecting of the goods or feeling we're entitled to the entertainment. It's nice when a movie hits on all cylinders and elicits such a range and emotional reaction people who don't know each other in a packed room all gasp, laugh, cry, and applaud together. Great movies however can do that and Up is truly a great movie.
175 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar hits it out of the park, again
choco_taco12 May 2009
I was lucky enough to get a ticket to a special pre-release screening of Up at Pixar studios in Emeryville, organized by the San Francisco Film Society. After a hour-long reception in the atrium of their beautiful main building we went through some rigorous security (metal detectors!) and were treated to an hilarious short (Partly Cloudy) and Pixar's new high water mark, Up.

My favorites to date have definitely been Wall-E and the Incredibles, and Up is another slightly-left-of-center masterpiece. The emotional impact of the beautiful, wordless summation of Carl's life that opens the movie is the bass note that resonates through the whole film and is at least as affecting as the scene in Wall-E when he holds his own hands while watching Hello Dolly. The rest of the movie, of course, is breathtaking on just about every level, especially the tactile quality of all the characters and textures and the completely realized weather effects and action scenes. With no "new" technical milestones (fur in Monsters, Inc., water in Finding Nemo, realistic camera effects in Wall- E), the design is the main focus, from the hilariously stylized characters to the amazing setting of the tepui.

As the associate producer who participated in the Q&A following the movie pointed out, the past three Pixar movies have not been easy sells to their parent company Disney (they'll be back in familiar territory with Toy Story 3 and Cars 2), but Pixar's commitment to inventive, story-driven films continues to pay off here. All of the good press is true, and I can't wait to see it again. Thanks for staying true to yourselves Pixar!
344 out of 430 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Possibly the best Pixar film to date.
guiarRK15 May 2009
I was luckily able to catch a screening a few weeks ago here in Houston.

As an avid lover of Wall-E, I felt Pixar could never reach those heights again.

I was wrong.

UP's story will probably seem peculiar at first glance. An old man as a protagonist? It definitely blew my expectations. The first 5 minutes demolished every other Pixar feature just because it was the first time I cried in a theater.

This just shows how much heart there is to the movie. I really don't want to get into specifics because of spoilers but the movie literally has everything.

Amazing visual effects.

Amazing sound.

Hilarious comedy.

Breath taking action.

Heart.

All those combined equal something special. Today's movies like to blow you away with gimmicks, Pixar is different. Each movie shows soul and UP definitely has it.

I can't wait until it comes out so I can see it in 3d, im bringing everybody.

582 out of 756 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Drag me to heaven
steve-bailey-127 May 2009
UP, Pixar's latest animated feature, is just delightful. But how do you go about extolling the movie's virtues without giving away its surprises? Like the kid at the beginning of the movie, you don't try to conquer the immovable force; you work around it.

The one clue I can give away – because it's the movie's heavily hyped premise – is that Carl Fredrickson, a gruffy old widower (voiced with gruffy old charm by Ed Asner), miraculously inflates enough balloons to use his house as an aircraft. Soon, he finds himself reluctantly sharing his ride with a short-attention-spanned kid named Russell.

I'll also mention a couple of other items that can gauge your potential interest in the movie. One is a gag that is a take-off on a famous painting – perhaps too inside of an inside joke, but typical of Pixar's cheery attempts to appeal to viewers of all ages.

Also, part of the plot involves Carl's long-held wish to meet a Lindbergh-type adventurer named Charles Muntz (Christopher Plummer!). This is another in-joke that's even vaguer than the first one. Cartoon historians know that Walt Disney started in the cartoon biz by creating Oswald the Rabbit for producer Charles Mintz, who then greedily stole the rights to Disney's creation. This gives you a pretty good idea where the ostensible hero Muntz stands in the scheme of things.

Beyond that, I can only offer you some enticing clues about the characters. There's a dog who's the leader of his pack and in menacing beyond measure, until he opens his mouth and gets one of the movie's biggest laughs. There's a huge, awkward bird that is a big laugh-getter at first. Then she becomes a real enough character that – at least in the audience I was in – when she's injured, she elicits screams of fright worthy of Bambi's late mother.

There's surprising, heartfelt emotion, vivid imagery (you can almost touch the landscapes and skies), and a music score by Michael Giacchino that's practically a character in the movie – particularly in a thoughtful montage that takes Carl from childhood to widowhood.

There aren't many (or at least not enough) live-action movies that are engrossing as this cartoon. Pixar Studios has gotten to be one of those movie icons that shouldn't even have to deliver a premise to get funded anymore. The moneymen should just shut up, hand over the money, and trust they'll get a product that will appeal to everyone.

UP is only the second Pixar feature to get a PG rating, only for mildly intense imagery and action – nothing off-color in the least. Again, if you can handle "Bambi," this film should be a breeze.
324 out of 416 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Imaginative, fun and moving - as close to perfect as Pixar has ever been
DonFishies29 May 2009
Carl Frederickson (Ed Asner) has lived a long life, but dreams of adventuring to South America. He wants to spend his remaining days in his home, but new high-rises are being constructed around it. After a chance accident, Carl loses his home, and is set to be taken into a retirement home. Unhappy with this idea, the former balloon salesman ties thousands of balloons to his house and simply floats away, en route to his dream adventure. Except, he is not alone – young "wilderness explorer" Russell (Jordan Nagai) inadvertently shows up in mid-air, and Carl sees no other choice but to bring the boy with him.

The fact that this plot line is even relevant enough to get made into a movie is more than enough reason to praise Up. Ever since Toy Story, Pixar has consistently delivered the most radically original and unique ideas for animated films, and live action films. Sure, not all of them are as amazing as others (Cars is quite simply stale compared to the likes of Ratatouille and WALL-E), but there is something brilliantly imaginative and exciting going on at the studio, and Up is no exception.

Coming off the breakthrough of WALL-E, I was not expecting the same reaction to Up, but I was more than just pleasantly surprised. The film is hilarious, heartfelt, moving and depressing all at once. This may sound like it is an issue, and that the film has a problem holding its ground with its tonal structure. But instead, it handles it quite well; splitting the film into quadrants and allowing the themes and plot line to coincide with whatever emotional response the filmmakers are going for. And while there is plenty for young children to enjoy and take from the film, it is the older audience that will get the biggest reaction from it. There is a lot going on in the film, but it never loses its speed and never loses control of what it wants to say and do. It knows exactly where it wants to be and when. And where other recent Pixar films have failed (specifically in their lengthy runtimes and frequent need to drag themselves out), Up does not. It practically blasts its way through its beginning, all the way up to its ending, with time left to spare.

What makes Up work so well, much like WALL-E before it, is the focus on very few characters. Where WALL-E spent the majority of its runtime primarily on Earth with its main character, a love interest and a cockroach, Up spends its majority with Carl, Russell, a "bird" named Kevin and a talking dog named Dug (voiced by co-director Bob Peterson). It does allow for more characters to enter in later on, but the focus never strays from these main characters. Some may say the film is trying to tell multiple stories, but as the film progresses, it is clear it is telling one story – the tale of a man who never experienced what he wanted the most. The film builds up Carl's backstory heavily in startlingly moving moments that surprisingly were surprisingly kept rather secretive in the marketing for the film. We know from the very first trailer that Carl is a fairly mean old man, but the film spends a great deal of time to develop him into an emotional wreck of a man.

But the real success of the film is in its imagination and adventure. While WALL-E is perhaps the most startlingly unique and original animated picture of the last decade, Up still manages to pack in a lot of uniqueness. But while WALL-E got caught up in its own environmentally sound message, Up sticks with being an almost straight adventure picture. It is frequently thrilling and exciting, and lets up only for a few moments at a time. For such an older character, the film really stuns with some of its fantastical ideas. Sure, it is obvious this is a film that could only ever be done as an animated film, but what it lacks in realism it makes up for in fun – something that has been sorely missing from the movies for years. It came back for a short while with the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, but the focus as of late for any film has been on deeply conflicted, depressing narratives. And while this film is struck with having some of the most depressing scenes the year has seen so far, it never wallows in the sadness. It throws the moments at you, and then quickly moves on. And as said previously, the tonal shifts work excellently in Up's favour.

But of course, an animated movie cannot work without its animation. While Up is not a breakthrough in the way other Pixar films have been, it keeps with the tradition of still looking stunning and leading the curve for computer animated films. It does look cartoony and fantastical in many instances, but this only continues to work towards it being even better. The locales are realistic looking; the dog fur is near perfect. For me, watching Carl's facial hair gradually grow in as the story moves along was simply amazing. The little details and minute perfections have always been key to the Pixar films, and Up is no different. Additionally, the 3D effects really add a layer to the film, and bring the movie to life (unlike other recent efforts like Monsters vs. Aliens and Bolt).

I cannot praise Up enough. Words cannot do justice for how excellent the film is. Pixar continues to outdo itself year after year, even with their subpar films. While each film has their own flaws, Up revels in being as close to perfect as the company has been in years. I adored every minute, and look forward to watching it again with an even bigger smile on my face.

10/10.
273 out of 350 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I felt like a completely new person, truly moving
Becky Nash7 August 2010
Honestly, I found the DVD of this film in my house and decided to give it a watch as I had nothing better to do. Truth is I really should have made the time before.

Although I enjoy all the other Disney/pixar movies, I am at that teenage age where I mainly seek Violence, sex and gore. Thankfully my teenage boredom did me a big favour in helping what this fantastic masterpiece. This film was so fantastically deep, meaningful and moving beyond relief, as soon as I switched it off I rang my grandparents to tell them I love them.

It should be made necessary that everyone everywhere should see this film and I think the world would be a much better place - it really is that good.

59 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Up "uped" the bar once again! Wonderful movie
Kristine4 June 2009
Seriously, I'm convinced, Pixar is maybe the only movie studio that is providing the best movies around. Who said that animated films can't be considered real movies? Can't be considered an art form? Up is the latest creation from Disney and Pixar, after last year's smash hit WALL-E, I felt like they couldn't at all top themselves and they did it again with this incredibly charming story. Admittingly from the trailer, I wasn't sure this story was going to work as well, but I got the opportunity to see Up this week and was just totally blown away by it's story, animation and characters. The thing I adore about these movies that Disney and Pixar are creating is that they're not just for the kids, but the adults as well, this is something that I could even see an adult seeing by themselves. This story doesn't insult kid's intelligence and is extremely entertaining for anyone to enjoy, to go through this adventure with an old man who just wanted to make his wife happy.

Carl Fredricksen, a quiet young boy, meets Ellie in her clubhouse, discovering together they share the same interest in exploration as their hero, famed explorer Charles F. Muntz. Ellie expresses her desire to move her clubhouse to Paradise Falls in South America, a promise she makes Carl keep. Carl and Ellie fall in love, wed and grow old together in the old house where they first met. Ellie dies of old age before they can take their trip, leaving Carl living alone in their home. After a tussle with a construction worker over Carl's broken mailbox, the court orders Carl to move into a retirement home. Carl comes up with a scheme to keep his promise to Ellie, and creates a makeshift airship using thousands of helium balloons which lift his house off its foundation. Russell, a Wilderness Explorer trying to earn his "Assisting the Elderly" badge, has stowed away on the porch after being sent on a snipe hunt by Carl the day before. After a storm throws them around for a while, they find themselves across a large ravine facing Paradise Falls. With their body weight providing ballast allowing Carl and Russell to pull the floating house, the two begin to walk around the ravine. As they walk towards Paradise Falls, Russell finds a colorful tropical bird which he names Kevin, not realizing that the bird is actually female. They later run into a dog with a translating collar named Dug. They discover Dug's owner is Charles Muntz, who has remained in South America for several decades to find a bird like Kevin in order to restore his reputation after bringing back a skeleton and being called a fraud. Though Carl is initially thrilled to meet his hero, when he realizes that Muntz is after Kevin and will kill to obtain her, Carl takes steps to save the bird and escape from Muntz.

Up is seriously the best movie I have seen so far this year, it's actually one of my favorite movies of all time, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this film. Wither it was the fun and charming story between Carl and Russell, the crazy bird Kevin, or the story that nearly killed me in laughter, the dogs that have collars that make them talk. I don't remember the last time a movie that made me laugh so hard that my stomach hurt, it also made me tear up and smile. If someone ever tells you that an animated film can't be considered a real movie, just show them Up. I absolutely adore this movie, can't wait for it to come out on DVD and watch it again. This is a perfect family film, actually scratch that, it's a perfect film, the animation is incredible, the characters are lovable and the story is magical. Up is going to be a film to be remembered for all time, great movie, go see it.

105 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar do it again! Up soars to new heights!
Simonster13 May 2009
Viewed at the Festival de Cannes 2009

The opening film of this year's festival, and the first animated film ever to have this honour, Up is truly a film for all ages. The story of the adventures of an old man and a young boy, a flying house tethered to countless balloons, a long-lost (and mad) explorer, a giant bird called Kevin and assorted 'talking' dogs gets funnier and more exciting as it goes along.

This isn't slapstick humour, although there are some lovely visual gags, but deeper, more thoughtful. At times Up is even touching and poignant.

Visually, this is a treat and while I was sceptical about the use of 3D to begin with, it is built into the story so seamlessly that it really is worth the effort to seek it out. At the same time, I can't help feeling the 2D version could be even better because the 3D glasses had the effect of dimming the picture. The use of colour in the film is especially noteworthy, with various palettes used according to mood, character and phase of the story. Character voicing and music are also spot on.

I have no connection with Pixar, Disney or the film whatsoever, even if this review reads like a puff piece. The fact is, Up is an incredible piece of cinema, was a big hit with a very demanding press audience, and is worthy of your time and money.

Anyone who says animated films cannot amuse and entertain, while at the same time delivering any kind of emotion, does not know what they are talking about.

Up is so good I can now forgive Pixar for Cars!
183 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Just a House
David Ferguson31 May 2009
Greetings again from the darkness. Another crackling collaboration of Pixar and Disney, and as expected, it is touching, funny, thrilling and amazing to look at and watch. Only a step below Toy Story just because it is not quite as ground-breaking, though the story is even better.

While I love technology and effects, I am first and foremost a story guy when it comes to movies. This has as good of story as any film you will see. My only caution is that it seems geared towards grown-ups, not kids. The montage of Carl and Ellie growing old together is without dialogue and will probably bore some kids. Their parents certainly won't be bored; however, as it will resonate with most anyone over age 40 who hasn't taken the time to chase their childhood dreams.

No question, this film is a barrage of color and eccentric characters, and can even be a bit frightening at times. Still, the key to this one are the stories and quests of the elderly Mr. Fredrickson and the young Russell, trying to earn his badge of honor. From the beginning, Disney has always had a finger on the pulse of youngsters. Here, we aren't given the usual Hollywood garbage of brainiac kids who make the adults look stupid. Instead we are given a pudgy, slightly goofy kid just trying to get his parents to take note.

Special kudos to Ed Asner for bringing Mr. Fredrickson to life ... in good times and bad. He never goes overboard and is quite often absolutely perfect. Christopher Plummer has a limited role as bad guy Charles Muntz. Or is he really so bad? Cast aside by society, he has spent his life searching for redemption.

I am not saying the kids won't enjoy, but I am saying make sure parents and grandparents tag along. You will be entertained, delighted and moved.
124 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the finest films I've ever seen
Rare Addict29 May 2009
If Pixar - as a studio - has any weakness, it's that they have no idea how to make a bad film. Again and again they release entertaining movies with not only a terrific sense of humor, but a level of storytelling that has set a standard for today's films, animated or otherwise. While I was obviously extremely excited to see Up, never did I expect it - or, to be honest, anything else from this year - to reach the level of quality of this year's first animated film, Coraline (which, along with last year's Bolt and Wall-E, became one of my favorite films of all time). Well, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Simply put, Up is a perfect movie.

Easily the most emotionally impactful portion of the entire film, the first ten to fifteen minutes of Up are nothing short of beautiful. Using little to no dialogue, the opening "montage" of this film tells the story of Carl and his wife Ellie, and the wonderful life that they share together. Carl is such a lovable character, that you feel for him from the very beginning. Without trying to come off as cliché or anything, you feel the joy that he feels, and when his wife passes away, you feel his loss. By the end of the whole sequence, I was in tears.

This movie is freakin' hilarious. Without a doubt the funniest film that Pixar has ever made, each and every character in Up provides their own bit of humor. Dug the dog (voiced by co-director Bob Peterson) is especially hilarious every single time that he "opens his mouth", and yet still proves to be a key part of this emotional roller coaster ride. The movie also does a terrific job at making you feel a sense of wonder, and you just buy into the adventure of these two characters. Finally, I want to give a special nod to Christopher Plummer as the famous wilderness explorer, Charles Muntz, who is easily my favorite Pixar villain.

I love Up. Go see it now, as my review just can't do it justice. Not only is it extremely entertaining, but also gut-bustingly hilarious, and beautifully told throughout. To quote John Campea of TheMovieBlog.com, "The only negative thing I have to say about this movie is that it ended." The result is a film that's on par with Wall-E and The Incredibles as my favorite Pixar movie to date (which, again, is saying a hell of a lot, considering that they're two of my top 10 favorite films of all time) and while it may take a couple more viewings to say for certain, I have no qualms with saying that Up is one of the finest films I've ever seen.
173 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Feast For The Eyes
ccthemovieman-122 November 2009
This is another film in which it really helps to know in advance what it is, or more specifically, what it isn't. Then, you go from there. I enjoyed the animated film very much but, some of that was due to the fact a friend clued me in first, saying "this isn't really a comedy or a film for little kids. Don't expect a ton of laughs." So, instead of seeking laughs (although I still got them here and there), I just enjoyed the adventure story and marveled at the amazing artwork.

Seen on Blu-Ray, this is yet another example in which you shake your head and wonder, "How does the artwork get any better than this?" Then, about six months from now, another will come along and I'll say the same thing. Overall movies may not be better today than "in the old days," but there is no dispute there are two areas in which films keep getting better and better: special-effects and animation. This is another example of that.

The colors and the detail in here are almost beyond description. The artwork ranges from bold to subdued, but always stunning. I lost track how many times I wanted to just pause and admire the picture for a few minutes. From super-sharp closeups of the old man's face to lush jungle scenery, this high-definition disc is worth every penny/

Back to the story, I found it a combination adventure-fantasy-comedy-suspense-sentimental story, about in that order, too. Generally-speaking, I would think adults would like this more than kids, but I may be wrong. Everyone - regardless of age - will have their jaw drop more than once viewing the incredible-looking scenes. It's really a feast for the eyes. Finally, if you like extras, there are tons of them in the four-disc DVD set.
46 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar launches their funniest film out of their tank to date.
michael1139121 May 2009
What can I say about Pixar? Amazing?? Perfect?? Got to see this at the Cannes Film Festival in France (went on a trip with my family) and Pixar gives us another instant classic: Up.

The movie focuses on 78-year old man Carl Fredrickson's (voiced by Edward Asner) life who always had a dream of going on a journey to South American to see the wilds of it. He buys thousands of balloons just to attach it to his house to float up in the sky. So, he starts with his journey up in the sky in his house with balloons attached to it. Suddenly, he's not alone and somebody's at the door while flying, it's a boy scout kid named Russell. He invites the boy with him on his journey to South America.

Just brilliant and simple story-telling, beautiful visuals as usual with Pixar, awesome voice work, funny and smart dialogue, beautiful score once again by Michael Giacchino & very, very enjoyable characters. Speaking of characters, the highlight of the film: Dug the Dog. A sort of "robot" dog that will have you have you in a lot of stitches each scene that dog is in and that was the case with me. Simply, one of the funniest characters Pixar ever made. Pete Doctor, one of the four Pixar directors (John Lassester, Andrew Stanton, Brad Bird) who directed Monster's Inc (2001) needs and should get nominated for his clever, genius and smart directing of this but if Stanton didn't get the nods for (Finding Nemo and WALL-E) and Bird for (The Incredibles & Ratatouille) which they should of been, then the Oscars are making another HUGE mistake for not nominating this guy for this movie.

Up is the funniest Pixar movie, funnier than the Toy Story movies, A Bug's Life & Finding Nemo which were the funniest, in my opinion. The movie is not just hilarious, it's emotional and sad at times. Like WALL-E, it focuses on the character feelings but not as magical as WALL-E. Still, Up is full of emotional, fun and hilarious proportions. Your in for a BIG ride in this!! 10/10.
156 out of 247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar produces another Oscar Winner
CA_movie_fan12 May 2009
Pixar has become the most dependable studio out there for producing reliable films that don't simply continue to raise the bar in animation but set a level of excellence in storytelling that puts most live-action movies to shame. 'Up' represents another change in style, as significant as Wall-E's shift to photorealism, intricate camera effects and darker themes. It effectively blends moments of tragedy with almost slapstick humor, while showing that their understanding of story structure and pacing gets more refined with every release.

Up is about a 70-something ex-balloon salesman who fulfills a lifelong dream of adventure by tying thousands of balloons to his house and flying away to South America. This trip, inspired by his adventure- loving wife who dies before their dream is realized, is forced when property developers attempt a compulsory purchase on his house and try to move him to a retirement home (issues of death and eminent domain in a cartoon?). The problem is that he has an enthusiastic - and fatherless - 8-year old Wildness Explorer stowed away on the property when it takes off. Their adventure focuses on the characters they meet along the way, while our hero Carl is still trying to drag his house to the dream destination at the top of a waterfall.

The opening shows the life of Carl, growing from an young boy, meeting his adventuring-loving girlfriend, their marriage and her death just before their adventure starts - it's an incredibly emotional 5-minute intro that's light on dialog and heavy on visuals, and didn't leave a dry eye in the theater. This sequence in particular was reminiscent of the dialog-free sections of Wall-E which deliver their plot punches without exposition or the need for endless sequences that would take twice as long in live action. But this approach doesn't leave the younger audience behind either, and for such a dark start, all I could see in the audience were kids and adults alike glued to the screen.

I won't give away any more plot details since the film doesn't open for another three weeks, but every scene and character trait is meticulously plotted so that nothing seems too ridiculous or contrived, even for such a fantastic journey. The graphic stylization is also fresh, in the same way that The Incredibles had a very distinct and authentic look. All of this serves to heighten the humor and there are some extremely funny scenes, helped by the way the characters are quickly and believably established (even the talking dogs, but you'll see what I mean).

This is the second time I've been to Pixar to see a pre-release of a movie and I felt a little scared before seeing this one, wondering if their run of first-class work may have hit a plateau. On the surface, I didn't really think a story about a senior in a flying house could live up to Wall-E, yet although the films are as different as they can be, Up is as gripping and entertaining as any Pixar film. Their ability to blends styles and take the audience from laughter to tears in minutes showcases their deep understanding of story, and it's a shame that more films aren't crafted the same way.

Up opens on May 29, and I highly recommend it to everyone. The next two films out of Pixar will be Toy Story 3 (2010) and Cars 2 (2011). By the way, look at for a very funny short film before Up called Partly Cloudly.
61 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar soars again
C-Younkin26 May 2009
"Up" is a winner, and I couldn't be less surprised. Anyone still putting a limit on how new and inventive they think a Pixar film can be deserves to have their socks blown off. For the rest of us, just buy a ticket and expect to be taken away. This new flick is the work of writers/directors Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, two guys who have each been around the making of Pixar flicks before. Docter was a director on "Monsters Inc", a writer on "Toy Story" and a co-writer and director on "Wall*E." Peterson was a writer on "Finding Nemo". Both know the guidelines for success and while "Up" doesn't reach the heights of say a "Wall*E" or a "Toy Story", it's still a fantastic movie because, well, I don't think the people Pixar hires know how to make anything other than fantastic movies.

This one is about Carl Fredericksen (Edward Asner), a 78-year old retired balloon salesman living alone in a house full of old memories. Carl and his wife Ellie met each other as young children, both enamored by the newsreels about adventurer Charles Muntz (Christopher Plummer). They eventually married and planned on seeing the world together, especially Paradise Falls in South America, but life kept getting in the way and before he knew it, Ellie died.

As the world changes, Carl refuses to change with it. When developers threaten to move him out of his house and into a retirement home, the old codger rigs his house up with thousands of balloons and before you can say "way to go Carl", he floats away, determined to have the adventure he and his wife never had. He doesn't plan on taking 8-year old chubby wilderness explorer Russell (Jordan Nagai) with him or crash landing on the other side of Paradise Falls, or finding an exotic female snipe (that Russell names Kevin) or a group of talking dogs (one named Dug befriends them) tracking down the bird for Muntz, who it turns out is a sinister villain, but things kinda turn out that way.

You're grabbed instantly. The adorable opening montage of the Carl and Ellie love story is more endearing and moving in its dialogue-less 10-minute entirety than any other romance this year by a long shot. This is another Pixar flick that goes in a daring direction. We next see Carl as a heartbreaking old man, his wife dead and the world no longer needing him. You forgive him his bitterness and you love him for the sentimental streak he has towards the things he and his wife shared together. His crabbiness is a little funny but there are also some heavy scenes early on as well. It sets up a beautiful, multi-layered story about enduring love and learning to live life without limits.

When a thrilling rainstorm crashes Carl and Russell on the other side of Paradise Falls, the two must each harness themselves to the house floating above them. The characters each look terrific and share a good chemistry. Russell is the usual 8-year old kid, talkative, inquisitive, and annoyingly overeager. He is a good comic foil to crabby Carl, his big, rosey smile and plump round stature a counter to the stout, frowningly square-faced Carl. As the two spend more time together, a wonderfully written friendship develops.

The movie is full of visual gags and the talking dog-henchmen are great fun. Muntz, an adventurer who travels around the world in a big blimp, offers a menacingly evil villain to chase Carl and Russell through rough mountainous terrain before the exciting final house vs. blimp in-air showdown. Plus the movie looks fantastic, a lush array of candy color and grand scenery. And the vocal cast, from Edward Asner to Christopher Plummer and Jordan Nagai each deftly voice their roles. "Up" is one of the year's rare treasures, a movie that flies in every way possible and from Pixar, you shouldn't expect anything less.
48 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Up-lifting, Up-standing, Up-pealing, and quite simply - brilliant!
Craig McPherson30 May 2009
Sadly, there aren't enough superlatives in the English language with which to laud Up, the latest offering from the folks at Disney/Pixar. This is quite simply the best movie of any genre to emerge thus far this year. No small praise considering how I've long been adverse to "kids movies", pegging them as being shallow, vapid, and simplistic - a personal preconception which Pixar mercifully shattered with 2004's The Incredibles and 2008's WALL-E, which proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that for all their acclaim as an animation studio, they are equally brilliant story tellers Up tells the story of Carl Fredricksen (voiced by Ed Asner), who as a child meets Ellie, later to become the love of his life. Carl and Ellie find they share a common dream – to one day visit Paradise Falls, a mysterious tropical oasis in South America made famous in vintage newsreels chronicling the exploits of explorer/adventurer Charles Muntz (Christopher Plummer). Life, however, manages to get in the way as the two grow up, get married, experience the pain of miscarriage, and eventually grow old, so much so that father time catches up on Ellie, leaving Carl a widower. All of this is conveyed with little dialog in a masterful sequence that had the audience, old and young alike, sniffling throughout.

If you're thinking this isn't the usual stuff you see in "kids movies" you're right. But all credit is due to Pixar and the directorial and writing team of Pete Docter and Bob Peterson for realizing that children aren't idiots, and can handle complex, often tragic stories, if conveyed in the proper manner. It's a refreshing change from the over-protective mentality that once saw all hints of violence edited out of Warner Bros/Looney Tunes cartoons.

In Up, characters bleed, there's implied murder, and it's all counter-balanced with some of the most delightfully twisted humor that's as inspired as anything the Zucker brothers ever came up with. The story literally had me careening from being misty-eyed to laughing heartily, frequently in the span of minutes.

Faced with forced relocation to a retirement home, Carl opts for one final gambit, to fly his house down to Paradise Falls with the aid of a multitude of helium-filled balloons affixed to the roof of his house. Along for the ride is Russell (Jordan Nagai), a Wilderness Scout seeking to add a merit badge to his collection. Eventually the duo are complimented by Dug (voiced by co-director and writer Bob Peterson) a dopey derelict dog equipped by the now aged Muntz with a translator collar that converts dog thoughts to English.

Like WALL-E, Up manages to imbue its characters with depth and humanity, while at the same time tell a story that is mature, delightful, and most of all, terrifically funny. In an era when Hollywood seems only capable of re-boots and do-overs, Up is not merely a refreshing stroke of original brilliance, it is likely the best movie you will see all year.... or until Pixar emerges with their next effort.
27 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The greatest journeys UP are when you're most down
solacewaves7 September 2009
In terms of animated features, Pixar ventures where very few other animated films have gone before and that is to delve into the lives of the elderly generation. In fact, having any film (animated or not) examine what it is like to grow old and the roller coaster ride that is life would normally mean you are in for some heavy material indeed. This is because true depictions of life are not constantly joyful and grand, it is always hand in hand with tears and hardships. In this respect, Pixar are to be applauded to have dared create a "kids" film that explores the circle of life in all its vivid glory and personal heartache.

Those who have scored UP poorly have undoubtedly felt misled, disappointed or even cheated because oftentimes when one thinks of Pixar, one thinks of imaginative explorations of what it would be like if our toys were alive (Toy Story 1 and 2), or if cars could talk (Cars), or if a mouse wanted to be a gourmet chef (Ratatouille), or how a family attempts to be "normal" when they all have superpowers (The Incredibles). Previous Pixar stories have always reached the realms of "brilliant" because these imaginative explorations are balanced with plot depth, humor and characters which audiences connect to and cheer for. Whether it's an ant trying to show his colony that they should stand up to the grasshoppers (A Bug's Life) or a humble cleaning robot guiding humanity home and trying to find love (Wall-E), all Pixar films are both fantastical and deeply meaningful thus showing their movies are more than just eye candy.

And this is where UP has divided the people. Don't get me wrong, UP has the fantastical and the deeply meaningful in spades, the difference here is that Pixar explores these to the extreme.

Flying a house to South America using thousands of balloons, dogs with futuristic collars that allow them to translate their "dog" language into English (or any other human language) and lest not forget they can also cook, a mythical rainbow colored bird and an old man who uses a walking stick in the first half of the film but can do "Indiana Jones"-like feats in the second half of the film - Fantastical? CHECK.

Boy meets girl, they fall in love, they marry, they discover they can't have children, they grow old together, wife dies, old man lives alone in house which he calls by his wife's name while high rise buildings are being constructed around him, old man attempts to fulfill promise to his deceased wife by flying to South America taking the house with him, and all that doesn't even cover the background story of the boy scout (who's father has left him and now only lives with his mum) who tries to help the old man out - Deeply meaningful? CHECK.

The daring exploration by Pixar of both these fantastical and meaningful themes has resulted in a beautiful, at times humorous, oftentimes heart-wrenching and flawed (but not necessarily in a bad way) film.

Never before has Pixar challenged the audience to such a level. Are you able to suspend belief to the point where you can believe a house can be lifted off by thousands of helium filled kids balloons and yet at the same time be willing to invest in an old man (who himself is flawed in more ways than one) and experience both the pain of love lost and the goal of hope found? Will parents be willing to explain to their young children about life and death? Will kids understand the adult themes? Will adults enjoy the ride or will they feel the movie is too depressing and the events too unbelievable? These are the questions which Pixar has dared audiences to confront.

As for me, I enjoyed the film, I laughed during the bits where you're meant to laugh, and I was moved to tears during the bits where you were meant to be moved (especially the beginning which shows the fast forward life of old man Carl). I struggled at times with suspending my belief of the events in the second half; how both Carl and Russell (the boy scout) manage to do the physically astounding is not to be thought about in depth. All in all, a brave film by Pixar that doesn't quite reach the lofty heights of brilliance but if looked at from above has many lessons to be learned and perhaps, just perhaps examines the flaws in all of us (especially as we get older) and how we should all try to reach UP to greater heights.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
this big heart doesn't have a chance to be heard
aharmas31 May 2009
Once again, I shouldn't have trusted that preview, or it might have been that the short before "Up" was so wonderful, or was it that the mostly silent introduction to our main character was nothing short of glorious... somewhere, though, this film lost its ability to touch in the way other Pixar and animated features have done in the past.

"Up" is supposedly about achieving our dreams, discovering who we really are, learning to adapt to the changes life brings to us, and so many other themes that it is a wonder we even recognize them, as the film changes from an intimate portrayal of two lonely people to a rather hectic adventure that barely rises above average.

The animation is, of course, superb, and the vocal work by all the people involved is first-rate. Problems arise when we notice than other than the amazing prologue, most of the good stuff has already been show in the preview. The other sections don't quite muster enough emotional power to make us care. For instance, the vistas aren't impressive, the set action pieces near the end don't carry much wallop, and it's hard to have a movie that lacks. The film just feels like some non-threatening film that is paying tribute to movies that had originality and the right tone. I couldn't help wondering what people like Spielberg and Zemeckis could have done with this movie, and the echoes of "Wall-e" kept haunting me, as I remembered the lyricism of that movie that made us remember what it is like to be human in the middle of all these choking technology. "Up" doesn't quite take you up for the ride, or make you feel "up". There is no cathartic moment, no real payoff, and the best moments are the sentimental moments when pictures of their loving relationship is on the screen.

Marketing can do wonders, and this will be a huge moneymaker. Hopefully it will only receive the credit it really deserves, and audiences will be wiser so next, we enjoy something beyond a small, sweet film that couldn't quite give us what we expected.
29 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very disappointed! Just a so-so movie.
Aimovie2 June 2009
Am I the only one who thinks this movie is overrated? I was so excited when I saw the 9.2/10 rating late Friday night and couldn't wait to see it the next morning. I told my daughter we were going to see a very good movie on the way to the theater. My expectation was so high and I had been waiting for those good things coming to me throughout the whole movie, then found out there was nothing, no excitement nor surprise in this movie at all! Right now, I cannot recall a single thing which I think is special in this movie. A very so-so movie with a very typical Hollywood ending. There should be better story tellers out there. There should be a better movie deserves such high rating. Even my 7-year old daughter thought this movie was just OK. Very disappointed!
46 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar rests on its laurels
Turfseer2 June 2009
It's gotten to the point that most people assume that whatever Pixar does, it's going to hit a home run. But in the case of their latest 3-D animated story, "Up", I'm sad to report that this new Pixar concoction does not live up to the all the hype. For those who are watching a Pixar animated film for the first time, of course 'Up' will seem quite impressive. After all, no other studio comes close to Pixar when it comes to the technical aspects of animation. But ultimately, whether a film is animated or not, it's the story and the characters that make a film great.

It was a bold move to choose an octogenarian as the film's protagonist—on the surface the crotchety curmudgeon, Carl Fredrickson, the elderly Spencer Tracy look-a-like, is the type of character we haven't seen before especially in an animated film. And 'Up' starts off with two very neat scenes: 1) a take-off on the old Movietone newsreels a la Citizen Kane and 2) a lovely montage sequence which chronicles the graceful aging of Carl and Ellie, the girl he's known since childhood, who becomes his wife.

The montage sequence is notably silent and doesn't allow for much character development as to what makes Carl tick. It seems he was always introverted but seemingly happy until Ellie's death. It's perhaps suggested that loneliness has turned Carl into a curmudgeon but with all those happy memories of Ellie, I wonder why he turned into such a sour puss. And that essentially is the problem for most of the film: Carl is simply not very likable. He spends most of his time not acting very nice to Russell, the Explorer Scout stowaway, until the film's climax. But it's quite predictable when Carl finally learns the all-important life lesson that it's much better to be empathetic than uncaring.

'Up' is similar to Pixar's prior effort, "Wall-e', in that it takes too long to introduce the film's antagonist. In Wall-e, we spend a little too much time observing Wall-e as earth's last operable trash compactor. But even those activities prove to be far more interesting than the flying house in 'Up'. After about five minutes, the house with the balloons becomes tiresome; it's not a very clever idea to begin with and all the smashups as it makes it way to South America, prove to be more repetitious than Wall-e's penchant for turning mounds of junk into perfect cubes.

When we finally meet up with the long lost "Man of Adventure', Charles Muntz, and we saw that Muntz was already probably 30 years old in the newsreel at the beginning of the film, then we must conclude Muntz would be at least 110 years old when he meets up with Carl. But he doesn't look a day older than 90! Muntz at least has a little more personality than Carl but he's much too mean a character for such a light-hearted story. For all parents who plan to take their young children to see 'Up', be forewarned: Muntz and his talking dogs are vicious and wholly inappropriate for your young children who will probably leave the movie theater quite scared and some even crying! The giant dodo-like bird, Kevin, is much more appropriate for the kids but when Muntz's pit bulls start attacking him in old-fashioned bi-planes (straight out of King Kong), the charm flies out the door.

The film's denouement wouldn't have been so bad had the adventure in South America been a little more engaging. There were just too many scenes of Carl and Russell tethered to the house, huffing and puffing as they try to reach the illusory waterfalls along with the talking dogs. The rest of it was perfectly acceptable: Carl becomes the good guy, realizes that the reaching his goal was an illusion and bonds with Russell back home. The best part of the film are the closing credits which give us a sneak peak into Carl and Russell's life after their return to the 'ordinary world'.

In the end, 'Up' is a tale of political correctness. Two outsiders, the elderly Carl and the obesity challenged Wilderness Explorer Russell, are able to not only defeat pure evil but overcome both the forces of nature and their own limitations. For Carl it's his self-pity and for Russell it's his lack of self-confidence. Ultimately 'Up' falls 'down' since it's all rather predictable stuff. Pixar has become complacent, simply resting on its laurels. There is only one direction Pixar can go from now on…and that is up!
31 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not UP to par with other Pixar classics
pilotom31 May 2009
I own every Pixar film on DVD but I have to say that UP may be the first one I pass on. I was very excited about seeing the film today after reading several good reviews. I think now that perhaps some reviewers out there are letting the Pixar reputation get to them. I can't believe ANYONE would say this is one of the best films of the year. Films like MONSTERS, INC, FINDING NEMO, WALL-E and TOY STORY deserved accolades like that but UP doesn't have the heart those classics did. The film is at its best early on when the characters aren't talking much. We see a montage of the lead character's life as a young Carl meets an exuberant girl named Ellie. We see them marry, live a life together, experience the highs and lows of life and finally, we see Carl loose his beloved Ellie and become a widower living alone in the house that always was their home. This sequence is moving and made me think that Pixar was about to strike another home run. However, at this point the characters start talking more and the story starts to get a bit...much. Carl decides to tie a bunch of helium balloons to his house in order to fly the house off to South America on the adventure he and Ellie were never able to complete together. He unwillingly takes along a young boy scout stand-in (Russell) who ends up on Carl's porch when the house takes off. Russell is determined to earn the patch for helping the elderly required by his troop in order to graduate to senior status. The balloon premise is a bit far-fetched but since it's an animated film, you go with it. However, once in South America, things get progressively weirder. Carl and Russell end up walking through the jungle and mountains with the house strapped to them, floating above. I think I knew the film was NOT going to be the usual classic I was used to from Pixar when they come across a bunch of talking dogs. It seems Pixar, whose done films about animals who can talk and done films just about humans, wanted to mix the two so they write into the story these dogs with collars that allow us to hear their thoughts. The dogs belong to an old adventurer living in the area who is determined to capture a big, ostrich-like bird to prove he's not the fake the world judge him to be decades ago when he claimed the bird existed. The adventurer has hundreds of dogs and not only do they search the jungles for the elusive bird, they also cook for their master, serve meals AND fly planes. Very weird. I think if you're going to make a film about smart, talking animals - make a film about smart talking animals (FINDING NEMO) and if you're going to do a film about humans, do one like THE INCREDIBLES about humans. In UP Pixar tries to mix the two and it just doesn't work. The ONE character who I thought had the most heart and was most interesting, was Kevin, the big bird who doesn't talk, seems devoted to her young and takes an instant liking to the human boy who probably reminds her of her babies. I heard kids in the audience more than once asking what was going on because they couldn't quite understand the story. I suspect UP will not be one of those films kids will watch over and over again like they do with the other Pixar classics. Pixar has some incredibly talented people but in UP I think they spent too much time on "cool" ideas and not as much time on developing the story and characters into something we could care about and believe in.
33 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie is fairly weak, but okay
CharlesVonFunhammer30 May 2009
I'm a big fan of pixar movies, I think finding nemo, ratatouille and Wall-E (though to be fair I didn't like Wall-e either the first time I saw it) are some of the best examples of narrative storytelling in the last 20 years. Simply put, the Pixar clan know how to tell stories.

That's why I was so surprised when I saw up. Now, maybe my expectations are too high, but I found it to be one of the weaker Pixar efforts. And here's a few reasons why.

1. It draws on associated emotion, not real emotion. Much of the sadness in the film (and this is a sad - not happy movie) isn't earned. It comes from referencing other films and our own associations - specifically at the beginning. The opening montage goes by so quickly, as a scrap book, that it falls upon cliché to create the emotion. Granted, for many people this will work, because to be honest, there's something affecting about seeing cartoons go through "serious" emotions. Yet, these scenes lack the depth of having our characters go through real actions and real feelings. Things happen, the characters don't do anything - they let things happen to them. (and example is that Russel's (spoiler) parents are divorced. This scene is handled in a clichéd and associated way. So and so's not my mom! Heard that one before...) If you enjoyed the opening montage, watch Mr. Holland's opus - that movie does this same thing better.

2. This movie isn't funny. All of the best jokes are used in the trailers/commercials. Much of the comedy is played too subtly (not subtle, but too subtle) and passed over too quickly. There's never a clear moment of what the movie is trying to make us feel at any given time - which brings me to

3. Tone. Is this a comedy, is it a melodrama? The movie doesn't really know what it is or is trying to say. It's inconsistencies constantly set up a new series of expectations which are never followed through on. It's serious...I'm thinking it's going to ... oh wait, a joke...wait...

4. The narrative. The movie takes about 2 acts to find itself as a movie. Carl meanders though the film trying to take his South America. He wants to put his house down, and every 2 minutes a new complication arrives. Then, in the third act, he battles the old and now evil (how old is this guy supposed to be if Carl is 78?) Charles Muntz. He comes to defend russel and dug, and the bird. He finds a purpose - the movie finds itself as a movie! Finally...but by then we've spent 2 acts trying to get into another story completely.

4A. there are a lot of clever storytelling devices, there is a good story here. It's a matter of the storytelling and dramatic devices the filmmakers use to elucidate that the story that are weak.

5. The characters. Between Carl and Russel (shout out to the Asian community) we have a weak set of characters. The most interesting character, Ellie, dies. Her passive husband is left - the into to him shows how awesome she is. What did she see in him anyway? what did he do? Russel is kind of an idiot spaz. why should I root for someone who's so incompetent?

If Pixar can animate characters with big heads and big eyes, everyone will think it's cute. Great date movies, great for kids, and hipsters. The overall storytelling I felt was pretty weak in UP. It felt like it was rushed off without knowing precisely where it was going - which is a joy to watch in the other pixar movies. Brad Bird and Andrew Stanton make you feel like you're in the hands of a master who is taking good care you - who is guiding you and surprising you, but never doing something you're not enjoying. Up is very muddled film-making. It's not horrible, but it's much weaker than the other films.

cheers.
21 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fairly uplifiting but highly imperfect
literarycherub30 May 2009
It was a good movie, but not great. The beginning sequence was well-done, tender, and sweet, but it was not quite as emotionally affecting as I expected. I would have liked to see a couple more scenes of Carl and Ellie interacting with dialog because the scenes with them as kids didn't quite cut it for me...I liked how it set up Carl's instantaneous love for Ellie, foreshadowing the endurance of his love for her, but her character came off as unique (which was good) but also kind of annoying. If we got to see a little more of her character and dynamic with Carl, maybe a scene of her showing some love for him, I think the following music-only sequence and the whole movie would have been more emotionally compelling.

Anyway, Carl as a character was a good protagonist, not the stereotypical, grumpy old man one might expect but instead a quiet, relatable human being. Russel, on the other hand, wasn't the best counterpart for Carl; he had some good moments, but was overall pretty typical and annoying at parts.

And while I liked Kevin and Dug, I didn't care for their introduction and their plots. The fact that a giant bird, a pack of talking dogs, and a crazy old man comprise a large part of the story doesn't sit well with me, especially since the movie at first seemed to be rooted in realism (a balloon-propelled house isn't entirely realistic, of course, but it is not cartoonish like the aforementioned elements are).

I would have overall preferred if the movie kept a sense of realism to it; there are plenty of ways to have adventures without all that hyper-cartoonish stuff. Even Muntz was a bit cartoonish for such a movie. However, while I would have liked the movie better without these unrealistic plots, they ended up working pretty well once the real point of them as a new adventure for Carl--an adventure to bring him and Russel together in a strong way and for a common good--was more firmly established and explored. However, this purpose still could have been accomplished in a less cartoonish way.

As for humor, I didn't find many of the jokes to be funny. Maybe a couple were, but overall, it was kind of weak on humor. Several gags were predictable, and even those that were decent weren't great. I also think the writers thought Russel was a lot funnier than he actually was. And as for the emotion, there were some lines and scenes that seemed forced (for example, Russel's stories about his father), but there were other scenes that got the emotion just right; it worked best when it was understated and subtle.

My favorite scene in the movie was when Carl looked through Ellie's "Adventure Book" and saw the photos of their enduring marriage inside with the final note of "Thanks for the adventure. Now have a new one!" A very simple yet powerful scene, in my opinion. And while I found the ending to be very predictable and the scene with the badge lacked the emotional impact it wanted to have, I did like the final scene of Carl and Russel eating ice cream and counting cars (unfortunately, it was the first time I felt a real bond between the characters.) Anyway, the end credits were really great too, very nicely summing up the whole message of the film...one of my favorite parts of the whole movie, actually. And this message of everyday life being an adventure when spent with someone you love was really nice, one of the best things about the movie.

Technically speaking, the visuals were pretty great. I saw it in 3D, and it utilized the 3D well without overdoing it. The only thing that bothered me a little was that parts of Carl looked strange...his ears and hands mainly. But overall, really nice-looking movie. Oh, and the music (particularly the old-fashioned piano music) was awesome.

In précis, probably worthy of a B/B-. Tentative grade, but there it is. Didn't reach the heights of emotion and beauty of "Wall-E"; didn't as successfully accomplish the feeling of friendship and fun like "Toy Story" did, but still a fairly solid Pixar film.
24 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a joy to watch
annie196216 September 2009
LOOOVED this movie.

I found it so enjoyable to watch and actually had tears in my eyes from a particular scene which included a Doberman (won't say more). I also teared up from an emotional, tender scene with Carl and Ellie.

The animation breathtaking, extremely funny and quirky too. It didn't pander to children i.e a kiddy movie, but made sure it entertained 'kids' of all ages.

I actually wondered if the writers of this movie got together one night for pizza and beers and penned out this movie whilst a little intoxicated. It's got some seriously good laughs!

Can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

I highly recommend this movie.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good, but not Pixar good
notjulie2 June 2009
What I like about Pixar: they generally cover each of these levels: 1) the setting 2) the story, 3) the characters, 4) drama, 5) humor, 6) visuals. In the case of Up, the humor was not at all on par with previous Pixar releases. But the biggest problem was with the setting of the story, i.e. the world they create. In Monsters, Inc they could invent anything, because it was a fictitious world. In Toy Story, the toys could do anything, but the humans were generally bound to the same physical laws as the rest of us. That's where Up makes a gigantic misstep. The main character is rendered very realistically, visually, but does the impossible for an elderly arthritic at every turn (running pulling a house... excuse me?). Where did the talking dog collars come from? The villain is portrayed as a realistic human, but it makes no sense that he might (living in the rain forest, alone) invent a talking dog collar. He's an explorer, not an engineer. This was clearly just something Pixar pulled out of their "funny ideas to stick in a movie someday" jar. They should have looked to see if it fit, first.

There were some moving scenes, stunningly rendered, but as a cohesive long feature it fails.
22 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An 'Adult' Pixar film.
Destany23215 June 2009
I just want to say that although I thoroughly enjoyed this film in many respects, it is not for children. It isn't as though they may not have fun watching it, as the visual effects are quite stunning, or they might not get a giggle or two from a few scenes, it's just that in order to fully appreciate the film you must have been in love at some point in your life...or at least comprehend love to the fullest extent.

I would categorize this movie as a romantic comedy/action thriller for adults had it NOT been an animated film. As you may have heard it is nothing from what you would expect in the commercial previews. However, it is pleasantly unexpected. Had I known a thorough synopsis through the commercials, as some films seem to give everything away in a 30 second preview, I don't think I would have enjoyed the film as much.

The movie touched my heart and as one reviewer said "I began crying in within the first five minutes of the movie, and I'm not much of a crier." Well, I certainly concur.

This is a great movie for lovers, perhaps those going through a tough time in a relationship, or newlyweds. For children, however, they will most likely utter the words that my niece did, "It's not funny." If you have children that are easily entertained, patient, and can sit still through nearly any movie, take them along to watch with your significant other, if you can. Otherwise go with your partner, a close friend, or even yourself. I promise you'll be brought to tears, but they'll soon be wiped away as scenes become more comedic.

Enjoy!