Are You Afraid of the Dark? (TV Series 2019–2021) Poster

Please make more
plantrnga3 November 2019
I loved this show when I was a kid and now that it is new again I love it even more. I hope they make more
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show!
nicolelawrence-1409328 October 2019
I don't know if some of these other reviewers are remembering the original through rose colored glasses or what. I absolutely loved the original as a kid and as soon as I found the dvd's on Amazon, I bought them to re-live with my kids. My kids quickly loved it too, however, I discovered a few episodes that made it apparent that I forgot just how cheesy some of them were. Now to the new. Every time I here of a re-boot or re-make I get the dreaded feeling that despite how much I want to love it, it will suck. Not the case here. Obviously you can't expect it to be identical, but I found the "creepy" level even higher than a lot of the originals! I found the cast to be likeable and the story to be on par with the better ones of the original. People also have to keep in mind, this is geared toward kids. You have to realize that they aren't setting out to be unbearably scary. For creepy entertainment that you can enjoy with your kids, it hits the nail on the head. Only downside is that it appears to be just the three episodes. Hope there are more to come!
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creepy story! I LOVED IT
cara99-325-25346430 October 2019
Are you afraid of the dark 3 parts were so good the story was so creepy very unpredictable twists and turns visuals were haunting the acting was really good the story was creepy and unique very well done horror I hope they make more
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved the old show. Hooked on the reboot.
evansk5919 October 2019
Maybe the other reviewer wasn't a true fan, but I love that the show is back on and rebooted to watch with my 10 year old daughter. We got chills at the same time during the second episode. So disappointing to only get a teaser with 3 linked episodes. Please tell me there will be a regular series again.
35 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!!!!
kelsey-6456726 October 2019
I remember watching the older episodes when I was younger and I loved them! But these are just as amazing. Creepy but with a little more story! Please make more episodes/ season!
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Make more seasons and episodes, please.
ndorantes26 October 2019
I Ioved every episode.Let the show be longer, make it longer than the original AYAOTD. The show is better than the original. Love the original AYAOTD but the remake is more scarier than it and that's what I like. Nickelodeon this is my favorite show on here now. Please make more episodes and seasons with the same cast members. Thank you.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great horror tv show reboot and best reboot ever made in history.
btdavis-3115214 October 2019
Nickelodeon can you please make it last the audience wants more episodes than 3 I love this show it's honestly my favorite show right now. I enjoy this show. I'm glad you made the show more scarier and darker. Please make more seasons please. I love the cast in the show.
37 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great first episode ignore negative reviews
dark_wolf_198715 October 2019
It was a great first episode kinda shows abit of the backstory I think most of the negative reviewers should give the show its chance before bashing it since only 1 of 3 parts is out so far I say I cant wait until the 18th
32 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great!!! Great!!! Great!!!
jntrla-051295 November 2019
Loooooove it!!! cant wait for more episodes watched it 3 times already and WILL watch it again!!!!! cant wait for the season next year!!! amazing opening before the show starts, a must see!!!! 10/10!!! good acting loved Lyliana Wray cant wait 2 see all of them in the future
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Authentic Horror
marioable27 October 2019
I really enjoyed this show it shows what horror is. The horror feels were real every step of the way. Nothing was predictable, kept you on your toes and the jumpscares and screams were perfectly timed. An amazing short series I miss it already.

PS: I loved Mr. Tophats outfit.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just pure amazing
alexrockz27 October 2019
As someone who has never seen the original show I wasn't really expecting to try to compre anything I was just hoping for a good show and what we got was a really amazing show it leaves you wanting more and the acting was shockingly amazing, the teen actors are really good which is hard to come by sometimes and Rafael who plays Mr. Tophat is just so perfect to watch as he truly creeps you out with the movement and his voice and the faces he makes for the character, I wish this was a real show and not a mini series it would Truly be amazing to get this cast back and bring the show back for a full real series cause it deserves it as it's plot twists are truly something amazing and the show Just comes together like a perfect puzzle and everything should give it a watch
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grateful for the reboot
Lufniss19 October 2019
I don't know how actual kids think of this because the reviews are filled with those of us who grew up on the original but it looks like there are enough of us appreciating it to keep it going. There are enough comparisons between the two so I'm just going to add that only three episodes aren't enough.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Admirer of "Are you afraid of the dark?"
chetnagupta-8300512 October 2019
Desperate to watch this show again. I am a great admirer of "Are you afraid of the dark?".i love this show and missing it slot. Waiting for it's come back.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Undeniable Fire
jenny_janco21 October 2019
Always loved the original and I feel like this mini series has done a phenomenal job to reboot and revive such an awesome original. Great job selecting characters. I did not find this cheesy at all and the effects are great. I'm sad there are only 3 episodes so I really hope they decide to do more in the future. I can't believe this is getting any negative reviews.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Change
thekimaster20 October 2019
I like the direction this was taken! Stories link to story! Mix it up more than the original, couldn't stand they had a new story usually every time! Some stories as a kid I wish they would've elaborated on, now I'm getting to see deeper story! I'll support this 100%
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank gawd!
rdoubleoc20 October 2019
Thank God it's back, seriously. Some shows just don't seem right to be gone forever.

First and second episodes were alright, but I hope they go back to the anthology format, even though they kind of still stuck to it.

I also think maybe they should advertise it more. The only reason I even knew about it was because I noticed an old one was on and looked up to see if there ever was a new version, and it just coincidentally happenened to be that now is when there is one.

I'm 35, so my opinion might be different than their normal demographic, so it shows more than just kids will be watching, but I'm sure they know this.

I'll be watching!
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same story being told three times
danieln-1552512 January 2020
That's the problem with this mini-series. It's basically the exact same story over and over again.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
bookofoa8 October 2020
Having never seen either of the previous versions of the show, nor read any of the books, I wasn't really sure what this was when I rented it. But it's October, and the cover art looked spooky enough for a pre-Halloween watch. And I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. It had a few genuinely creepy moments (which so many 'horror' films lack these days) while being age appropriate to its intended tween audience. The acting and production value were such that, with some minor re-editing, this easily could have been released as a feature film, and one I probably would have enjoyed in a theater.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fine, but really not as good as the original
danieln-1552512 October 2019
Just for you to know, some of the biggest hits like "Sixth Sense" (the movie), was taken from an episode of the original AYAOTD (!). Just so you understand what a brilliant script that show had. Now this remake was fine, the first half was good, the rest of the episode not so much. Keep in mind, they already did this story almost one by one, on the old AYAOTD. So this was ok, but not as good as the original AYAOTD.
18 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Appreciate the updated version because they really gave it a good go!
lharper136-264-5194896 February 2021
Don't know what westsideschl6 is on about, captions are there for this hard-of-hearing lady.

Of course it'll never be as good as the original, no one expected it to be, but it also doesn't need to be compared either as it sits well on its own.

The show is fun, and a pretty great homage to the original we all (well, most of us) grew up with. I can't wait for the next season!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacular (spooktacular)
justinamans28 February 2021
I grew up watching the original, and this not only does it justice, but I (alarmingly) find that it sometimes even outshines it's namesake. Don't get me wrong, I love the original, but I really enjoy the concept of both the first and second season. I think it's way more fun to have the midnight society be the stars of the story. It allows you to actually become attached to the characters. Not only has this new take on AYAOTD legitimately scared me SEVERAL TIMES, but the cast of both seasons has been amazing. Much like it's predecessor, AYAOTD continues to be a proving ground for young, raw talent. Props to whoever green lit this, and everyone involved in this show. I'm not going to include any spoilers, but let me just say, whether you grew up watching the original, you're new to the franchise, or you just love to be scared (without gore, which lets be real, true scares don't need it), do yourself a favor and dive into this ASAP.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Easter eggs alone make it worth the watch
ajlister-9300214 February 2021
I love when a rebooted show or movie pays homage to the original. And this did just that. A few minutes into the second season (yes I watched the first one) and I counted at least 4 subtle references to the old show. True fans will see without having to Google. Lol.

It's a different show layout but it has a little of the feel of the original. Enough to keep me watching anyway.

I'm 32 years old and I feel like I'm thrown back to my kid years watching those episodes over and over again. My grandma recorded them for us. Made us super fans.

Give it an open minded, and open eyed, watch and you'll like it. Just don't go in expecting it to be exactly the same as the 90s. That would just be redundant anyway.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
its amazing
vitastrmsek16 November 2020
This show is so good. i youst love it.....hopes up for season 2
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just awful.
SamUnfiltered197917 September 2020
The acting. The storyline. The worst part was Miya Cech. Unlikable and a horrible actress. Who does she know to get this part? Wasn't on talent. The original is so much better
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish it was better
I love AYAOTD but since the reboot they do these mini series on the same story and it just seems to drag on.

I wish they were an anthology series again and had more episodes. I really wanted to love this season. We started out so excited but after the 2nd or 3rd episode we lost interest.

To leave on a positive note I will say the graphics are great.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.