Outside the Wire (2021) Poster

Netflix need to step up its movies department
Freezing_Walkers15 January 2021
Buddha says that expectation is the root cause of sadness.

Action was alright.

Poor script failed the movie.

I was expecting that there will be some twists, but the movie too plain, too much predictable.

I think I Netflix need to step up its movie production department, if they want to compete with new streaming services.
364 out of 437 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Balkans in Ukraine??? Someone needs a geography lesson
kolbasbgd16 January 2021
Yet again one of the USA saves the day against USSR films, so old and cliche, worn out. But even worse the dude has 56000 flight hours, and even worse than that dude is called what, the terror of the Balkans? Last time I checked Balkans was still 1000km away from Ukraine.
395 out of 483 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad script
sippyrajan15 January 2021
1. Failed to simulate real war situation. 2. Just flat storyline with bad acting. 3. Can't understand the action taken by the character.( Its like some 3rd grade movie).

Must watch: nah One time: may be
270 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plot so bad they have to explain it every 5 minutes
jbrown51016 January 2021
This is one of those horribly written and directed movies where the characters explain the plot every 5 minutes, or explain why they need to do what they're about to do. I guess they knew it wasn't compelling enough for viewers to remember it on their own.
129 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesefest
gert-2387415 January 2021
Feels like some middle school kids were given money to write and direct a movie. Cheesy plot & acting.
232 out of 300 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the bad reviews. It's actually much worse...
danillelos16 January 2021
Just bad. I felt ashamed I asked my husband to watch this with me...
135 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly Movie
Athanatos17316 January 2021
A fairly bad movie that feels like it was written by a teenager with no knowledge or life experience.

Anthony Mackie, though unimpressive, did a passable job, whereas I cannot for the life of me understand the casting of Damson Idris, who was fairly bad, having no presence on screen and seemed to be acting on auto pilot.

The writing was atrocious, seemingly trying to convey a message but falling short. The lead is supposed to have 56,000 hours of flight time which is also ridiculous, showing me how bad the writers actually are. 56,000 hours is 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, for over 6 YEARS...

In the end, it is a silly implausible movie that you will forget moments after you watch it.

Not Recommended.
111 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You won't leave happy
muhanado16 January 2021
I watched it because the trailer looked cool. I'm a sucker for good action, plus I like watching Anthony Mackie movies. That said, this movie was so blah. Harp, the protagonist, is just so boring to the point of being annoying. Less than half way through and I couldn't stand listening to him talk. There are some good action scenes and CGI work, but the story just sucked and was so cliche. I can't imagine anyone leaving being happy they spent 2 hours of their life watching this movie, but if you need something to pass the time, sure.
122 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix why you keep making these average movies...
ThomDerd25 January 2021
I used to like Netflix films. They had some consistent level of quality...but lately its been terrible with their releases. This film is another example and it disrespects the viewer's IQ.

The story? Full of plot holes, a bit suggestive as well. The acting? Mackie is ok but that other folk needs to rethink his approach to acting. The action and pace? Inconsistent, gets really boring at times. The shooting: Oh they spent all the money there.

If you have nothing else to watch, then this one is a mmmaaayyyybbbbeee... But i can't suggest this to anyone with a mind. 3/10 just for some cool fight scenes.
54 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All over the place
elliotte216 January 2021
Pros: Anthony Mackie is a very good actor and possesses a screen presence. Several of the action scenes are engaging.

Cons: Everything else Protagonist acting is way off. It is the Kneau Reeves/Kristen Stewart off. Writing is a step beyond high school, with dialogue that is laughable. Logic is nonsensical, where people walking and people driving a car very fast are reaching the same destination at the same time(and they both left the same time). Plot is early James Bond level of over the top. Editing is patched together so loosely that you barely realize what is going on Lastly, there appears to be no security at military bases, villian hideouts, billion dollar laboratories.
74 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disaster
Lazizzi16 January 2021
So bad it might hurt Netflix stock. If this is the level of the monthly movie promised we might as well cancel our subscription.
165 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
robots were cool, acting was funny
boryagin30 January 2021
Robots in action were cool.

Otherwise, it was just a funny piece. Black native Ukrainians speaking American English to black American soldiers. I am not even going into all the mess with scenery and language. Those are understood.

The main character is completely out of sync with his role and supposed mentality. Army officers behave like teenage campers. Combat scenes so flawed that it's apparent even to a civilian like me.

So you can watch it if you got nothing else to do. With a bottle of beer or a glass of whiskey. Not a genuine cinematic experience. Don't expect too much.
38 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Million Dollar Trash. Terrible American Propaganda.
yusufpiskin15 January 2021
Cliche, Cliche and... Very by the numbers and cliché, but at least it does (for the most part) say the quiet part outloud in a way that I liked. And then it completely pulls its punches at the end in the most predictable way.
193 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you have absolutely nothing else to watch then maybe consider this
jon62653715 January 2021
I really don't get it. Netflix throws thousands into movie production (and increases our subscription fees as a result!) Bringing in big names such as MCU's Anthony Mackie but the film is just dull. You don't connect with any of the characters, the script is worse than a Boris Johnson COVID update and the screenplay just leaves you empty.

If you're an absolute aficionado of war movies with a little bit of Chappie thrown in then you may just enjoy it. I got to 40 minutes left in the movie and started to consider to switch it off.

Tell you what Netflix, instead of just trying to click air people with big Hollywood names why not invest in decent scriptwriters and directors?

Boring.
71 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Senseless Rubbish
andrewrye-0653515 January 2021
This movie made no sense and had so many plot holes and stupid moments.

Where to begin? A 19 yr old Lieutenant who claims he has 56,000 hours flight experience (work it out), disobeys a direct order so gets sent on a secret mission retaining his rank. A robot in the form of a man who can withstand direct shots to the chest with armour piercing rounds no problem but complains it hurts when a tracker is cut out of his back. Can reason, make cynical jokes and make decisions (really need to think how that isn't a good thing). When you run out of ammo, throw away your very expensive US military issue auto gun despite standing next to the jeep you arrived in. Apparently auto makers lost the ability to further designs after 2020. There are plenty more questionable things about this movie like why did I watch it 3 because it's a sunny day
56 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
56,000 flight hours....... let's do the math......
willandcharlenebrown22 February 2021
56,000 hours divided by 8 hours a day equal 7,000 days without a single day off. 7,000 days divided by 365 days a year equals 19 years without a day off.

They kid said he'd been in the military 3 years. Haha wow

It's either an insult to my intelligence or Betflix purposely tried to make these guys dumb as a bag of rock which if they did, shame on them and the director.

Great acting and great special affects but dumb stale overplayed story line.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Below Average Action Film
alindsay-al15 January 2021
Another year, another Netflix action film is here to watch, this time it is Outside The Wire and here is my review for it. The premise of the film sees a drone pilot have to team up with android officer in an attempt to save the world.

Main Character Anthony Mackie plays Leo the android who I thought did a good job here and bought quite a bit to the role. He is basically the tough mentor and he does it pretty effectively, his character goes all over the place in the final act and it comes close to ruining it but it doesn't take away from his decent performance. But there is another main character Harp played by Damson Idris and I did not like this character at all. He does something at the beginning of the film that makes him unlikeable from the start and he never recovered for me and I never came around to care about him.

Supporting Characters The supporting cast don't offer anything because the film doesn't try to make that happen. The bad guy is as generic and dull as you can imagine and everybody else in the film is barely here and they aren't given anything to really work with. The film only really cares about its too main protagonists and forsakes every other character here.

Story The story is serviceable at best, I like the fact that Mackie's character was an android and how this world uses synthetics in general was pretty interesting and could have and should have been explored more. The film just doesn't do a good enough job of exploring it's themes and messages and the final act is so ridiculous and basically feels like it comes out of nowhere in order for the film to try and feel unique. Also the ending feels very abrupt, I don't know why lately it feels like films I watch are ending abruptly and this one is no different not answering all the questions it needs to.

Script The script is fine, Mackie spits out some pretty good dialogue and the story does have a few good elements. Though like its story the script falls very short and tries to be more interesting then it is and it could have done with either focusing more on the interesting parts or just be a full on action film.

Style The style of the film has some pretty decent action scenes that do show the horror of war. But the film doesn't do enough with what it has, probably because there wasn't the budget that the film really needed for something so ambitious.

Overall Overall, this is a below average action film that doesn't do anything to change up the game and really make it stand out and is one you can happily skip.
89 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cool movie... Meh story
max_g-303504 February 2021
It is a cool movie, and even the concept is cool... But you never get to feel for the characters, so you are not really invested in the story, on top of that there is a general lack of motivation through out the movie.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
mauritsdomien15 January 2021
Typical US war movie, complete with all the normal cliches.
124 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pew pew
Love_Death_and_Reviews16 January 2021
Bad and cliche. Slightly futuristic another stupid american propaganda action movie. Recommend to watch this if you need background noise, netflix and chill, are drunk or whatever.
63 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a terrible movie
strontiumj16 January 2021
How does something like this get made? There's clearly a War/Action film checklist and this one checks off the bare minimum requirements.
52 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why the Hate? Good Flick
polsixe24 January 2021
Being trashed in some reviews but hard to see why. Decent concept, the robots and drone warfare "look" right. CGI is fine. Mackie fighting his way through the Krasny's is very Wick-Ian. There is some important dialogue between the two main characters that is important for the ending. And that's where the problem may be, as the Captain Leo Android makes some conclusions and decisions that would not be totally popular in the US. A brave script in that respect, and a good thriller.
50 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK
renatoromero-5200025 January 2021
In my humble opinion, it's an OK film with good action, special effects & cast but it's too serious & not much fun with a gloomy & boring story line!
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Take it for what it is
pirzadaj20 January 2021
You are basically getting a really good action flick with great gun fighting and military robot scenes and fight scenes. It has some great actors too (shout out to Doug from House of Cards). Yeah, the script can get a little basic and you can ask "why didn't they just kill him like this", but then you're expecting too much. If you want to see a decent action flick with good actors and entertaining scenes, give it a watch when you need a movie to watch.
33 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed that!
adammcgowan-0384115 January 2021
I don't understand the really negative comments on this. Just finished it and was a decent action flick with a good story line.

The acting was fairly good with Mackey leading. Never a poor movie from this one and he doesn't let down here.

As for the action but not a sci-fi movie.... erm.... I appreciate we're close to war machines but unless you all know more than me they don't exist yet therefore this is sci-fi. Felt like the Boston Dynamic robots on steroids though and prob be here soon!

If you're looking for a decent action movie don't be put off by the bad reviews. It's definite 7 for me! Enjoy!
70 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.