Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (TV Series 2020– ) Poster

Unexpectedly great, with a lot of Heart - Not just for Kids
wannaB200821 September 2020
I've been a Jurassic Park fan my entire life, but being 25 years old, I was only mildly curious to take a look at Camp Cretaceaous.

While the first 3 episodes are pretty enjoyable, it seemed to be most appropriate for its target audience of young children.

However, once we get to episode 4, things suddenly change to an impressive degree. The stakes feel a lot higher, the tension is phenomenally well handled (especially for a children's show). I really feel like the creators did their best to get the most out of Jurassic World and I had a blast watching this show.

While I have some mixed feelings about the human characters' animation style, it was a minor gripe with a wonderful show. The dinosaurs are impressive. The musical score feels very true to Jurassic. And the story is absolutely entertaining.

The whole 1st season takes place around the same time period as the first Jurassic World and while some major movie moments cross paths with the series, Camp Cretaceaous never loses sight of its own story for the sake of fan service. It keeps respectful to the larger story, but manages to be an entirely gripping and enjoyable journey on its own.

The thing that stood out most to me was the human element of the whole series. While I was hesitant with some of the main characters at first, they all really grew on me. By episode 5 I was so attached to them, it became a roller-coaster of emotions every time they stumble into danger. Every kid in the show contributes beautifully to the cast and fills the show with a unique and endearing spirit.

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceaous is a wonderful show with a lot of heart. I loved the full arc of this season and all its characters. I sincerely hope we get to see more seasons in the future.

I'm so glad I decided to give this a watch. I highly recommend it. Not just for kids.
75 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly enjoyable! Few drawbacks.
randomattster21 September 2020
As a 28 year old guy, I was highly skeptical of this when it was announced. I was pleasantly surprised in a big way! Solid animation (the dinosaurs look GREAT), enjoyable tie ins, and most shockingly of all, there was even some character development and legit emotional moments if you allow yourself to connect with the characters.

The only real drawback I felt was the way the show portrays kids like SUCH idiots, with everyone acting out and breaking the rules at every turn, except for the one scaredy-cat kid, who is so over the top it's mostly annoying. Most kids aren't actually like that, and shouldn't be written as such. The camp counsellors reactions to the rule breaking (essentially! "Go to your room!") were pretty unrealistic too.

Past that, it was overall incredibly enjoyable, and I sure hope they do more!
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can bet Jurass-i-can
ross-williams-8496921 September 2020
This series didn't get too much of my attention when advertised as I didn't wanna be let down!

WRONG.........

From the opening moments to the closing a 26 & 33 old couple binge watched all the episodes in order with only toilet breaks allowed.

Don't get me wrong a few plot, character & over story bumps but honestly the show is something I wished to have had when I was younger so just seeing something like this available now for the next generation.

Spielberg, trevarrow & Marshall, thank you
32 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a triumph!
biggsjay18 September 2020
Just watched this with my 3 year old son. We had a day on the sofa as we are self isolating and watched the entire series from start to finish!! Tense and fun all at the same time. Bought back memories of the original film whilst still feeling fresh. The dinosaurs are AMAZING and while there were some very scary moments it's a non stop thrill ride for 8 episodes. Excited for the next series already!
51 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish they'd make more of these
adamcomito26 September 2020
Very good series, quite suspenseful. The art is pretty good, very binge worthy. Ties in nicely with the new Jurassic park movies
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 2 WHEN?!
theinfinitygaming18 September 2020
Omg just finished watching the entire thing and now I want season 2 I hope it doesn't get canceled love everything Jurassic park / world related ^.^
45 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
stacey_cathryn20 September 2020
Great for kids and their grown ups. Brilliant graphics and a great add on to the jurassic park line. Hope they do more my 3 and 7 year old are hooked
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better then expected!!
turner-bugzyblue-james9418 September 2020
I've loved Jurassic Park since I was 12. I didn't know what to think of a new Jurassic World TV Series, especially with it being animated. I have to say I was blown away with how good it was. I thought it was gonna be a cheap kids show not worth it but I was wrong. The story is great, the animation is great and there were a lot of suspenseful moments. Definitely give this a shot if you're a Jurassic park fan. Just keep in mind this is a kids show after all so it's not as violent as the movies can be but that sure didn't stop them from making an awesome show. NETFLIX PLEASE RENEW FOR SEASON 2!
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wowzers... far better than expected
aratichy18 September 2020
I went in with low expectations since, you know, kiddy show. Was surprised far beyond expectations. *MILD SPOILERS* Wow this was good. The trailers do not do it justice. And those who thought there was gonna be no tension, no deaths, there will be 'surprises' to say the least. There are incredibly thrilling and blood pumping scenes with the Mosasaurus and Pteranodons, the characters are enjoyable, it expands on the lore, it has awesome subtle references, the music is amazing, and gives us a unique and tense Pteranodon theme, the arcs are well plotted, The animation on the dinosaurs is magnificent, the mood of the series is great. You can really tell Steven Spielberg had a say in the production of this thing. This is a kids show afterall though, there are some quite cringe worthy scenes, no new species, many dumb decisions, ... some unbelievable plot points, people giving a pep talk in the middle of a dino crisis (no pun intended), and then some stuff. Still really really loved it and the humour worked for me. 7.5/10; better than JP 3
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome... to Camp Cretaceous.
G33KEd18 September 2020
'Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous' is the perfect show for kids to watch and for grown-up fans of the Jurassic Park / World franchise!

The show is set during the events of the 2015 film, Jurassic World, which follows six teenagers who are now stranded on Isla Nublar after multiple dinosaurs escape their habitats.

The animation looks very nice; the voice cast is very talented; the plot looks terrific; the characters are great; and Steven Spielberg's return as executive producer for animated shows was wonderful.

'Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous' will make you want to watch it again and again for die hard fans of Jurassic Park!
35 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best animated series on netflix
rahul721 September 2020
I say this was a success and can't wait for season 2
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly enjoyable children's animated show
kit_lok20 September 2020
This show is a show aimed for children, so if you an adult reviewer, consider the audience as I did, as my kids loved these show. They felt the dinosaurs were great, the actions scenes amazing and the characters funny. Now putting an adult lense on it, I felt the references to Jurassic World were great and some of the characters clichéd but not unbelievable. It's a cartoon suspend your belief! So on the whole as a parent with dinosaur obsessed kids this was great and I also enjoyed it.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
BoxwoodExpress27 September 2020
I wasn't expecting much with this show, but it blew me away with how good it was. Even if you're not into Jurassic Park, you can still enjoy the show. The characters are all unique, likable, and relatable. There's a legitimate story to be found and some jaw-dropping animation. I could go on and on forever about how good this show is. Over the course of the show, each character has their own arc and we get to see how each of them develop and grow as individuals. For example, Kenji with his toxic masculinity, superiority complex, and daddy issues. There is one problem I have with the series though - its attitude towards teenagers. As a teenager myself, I know we're not perfect, but we're not self-absorbed phone addicts. I think the writers are very out of touch with today's youth as this show pushes a "phone bad" message. Other than that, it's a spectacular show you should be watching.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect dino fix!
vintagevaultarcade27 May 2021
For all you Jurassic Park fans who can't wait several more years for another movie on a $200 million budget, then this is for you. This follows similar movie timelines and the look and feel of all the original movie environments are animated perfectly. This was written for both adults and kids to enjoy so keep in mind that this isn't about dark intense adult themes. However, if you need your Jurassic Park dino fix then this is it.
A must watch.
guyn-0084022 May 2021
Season 3 was by far the best season, also this show ties in to fallen kingdom. This show is really good, so give it a try, trust me u won't regret it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not expected to be so great
awoland31 January 2021
My 4 year old twins loved it & so did my nieces & nephew ranging in ages (11, 11, 7 & 8).y kids started with season 1 & then were thrilled when season 2 came out.

The nieces & nephew learned about it as a suggestion from us when season 2 came out & shocked us by streaming all 2 seasons in a single weekend with the grandparents.

Everyone just loves it & we like watching it with them to. They add in a lot of the Jurassic Park / World magic & suspense without the gore & a nice plot for the kids. Highly recommend it for kids of all ages who love dinosaurs.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it, though the quality of animations were not so great
scorpiogemini24 September 2020
I really enjoyed this series even though I'm an adult. Although the script had a lot of logical issues and the quality of the animations was bad and lacking in many aspects. Yes we don't expect Dreamworks or Pixar quality animations, but this low level should not be acceptable either! Nit from a big company like Netflix. They surely could have given the animations design a lot more love. The sceneries, the dinosours, the lighting, the colours. It was lacking a lot on those departments

But, I loved the ride anyway! And the friendship theme is actually real good for children to look at and inspire from. Can't wait for season two! (hopefully with better animations quality).
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jurassic Franchise always a Time machine,
speilbergarun24 September 2020
Great start.... waiting for Season 2 badly

They have shadowed Trex/ Velociraptors for a reason, saved them for the upcoming seasons....

Ankylosaurs ( Bumpy ) carnotaurus ( Toro ) Indominous Rex ( I guess she won't be in the second season )

Above three well occupied the screen space, on the whole thrill dinosaur ride / parallel story of Jurassic world (2015) / Emotional bond between the 6 campers = Camp Cretaceous
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's for kids. It's just NOT ONLY for them.
Prashast_Singh23 September 2020
Being a big fan of the Jurassic movies, this was on my watchlist. I had a really good time watching this show which might get mistaken for something that appeals only to kids. The way it unfolded with episodes full of exciting action, never-ending tension and several serious moments was nothing short of great and an indication that even adults can enjoy it. It had only 8 episodes but all of them worked big time and the animation was absolutely top notch.

The show is a family-friendly action adventure so you can watch it with your family without worrying about any objectionable content. What really impressed me was how the makers didn't hold back in terms of action and tension in spite of this being primarily targeted at young viewers. The peril could be perfectly felt, and the character moments also stood out, delivering a number of positive messages about the power of friendship, teamwork and believing in oneself.

I don't know if they'll make another season for this or not, but if they do, I'd truly appreciate it. Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is indeed very well made and stands at par with the live-action movies. Of course, watching adult heroes participate in the action scenes is fun, but then so is watching kids do the same. It's very fast paced and you can easily finish it in one sitting. The ride was so exciting it left me exhausted in a positive way at the end, and I hope you too experience the same once you start watching this amazing show.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally!
thehirdfactor18 September 2020
I've wanted a Jurassic park animated series since I was a kid, and am pleased to finally have one! Filled with peril and suspense! The only down side to me is the animation... oh what I'd have given for this to have been good 2D animation instead of the computer stuff.
20 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great animation, except for the people
barilleboylv18 September 2020
Pretty great overall so far. My only issue is the people. Everything is animated really well, especially the dinosaurs, but the people seem like they should be in a 1989 animated movie. It was such a let down, because everything else was awesome. Their mouths are really frustrating, because they don't even form the shape of the words they're speaking. Why create amazing animation, but spend no time on the main characters, the people.
20 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It would've worked if it wasn't for those meddling kids.
archerpauly31 January 2021
Camp Cretaceous is a great idea but the main protagonist of Darryl is written so poorly. Its like the My 4 year old son who is dinosaur mad kept asking me why the kids were being "stupid" and "naughty" which are valid questions because by the end of the first episode you have stopped routing for theme entirely, and this is a trend that continues on a downward spiral throughout the entire 2 seasons. The dinosaurs are animated well but the humans not so much, I've seen better character model and movement on YouTube videos to he honest,(especially when they run).
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JURASSIC WORLD
oyagungor2 October 2020
There is no bloody scene. A little tension can be increase
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as the movies
arundhati-3144625 September 2020
Being a jurrasic fan , Camp Cretaceous didn't disappoint at all. This season is nothing less thrilling than the movies. So happy with it. Beautiful made. Hopefully season 2 will be there and will be out soon. Amazingly good. Loved every bit of it.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted the kids to get eaten...
bjoernidler19 September 2020
This series takes place before the events of the first Jurassic World film. It's about an adventure camp on Isla Nublar that has not yet been opened for the general public and is "tested" by some specially selected kids, of course ethnically diverse because this is a show from 2020. Having arrived at the camp, adventure begins.

The animation is quite good. It looks like a little more care was taken of the surroundings and the dinosaurs than the human characters. But I don't mind that because they aren't intetesting anyway.

And this is my main problem with this series. I love Jurassic Park and at least enjoyed the other films. All of those films had teenagers in them who were in trouble and in danger of getting eaten. But none of them were as unnerving and unsympathetic as the group of kids we are presented here.

Kenji, the rich kid, is unbelievably stupid and seems to have decided to think of the worst possible decision constantly and then do it.

Brooklynn the social media addict is kind of the main 'girl character'. I guess we're supposed to root for her but I just felt sorry for this attention-craving, shallow parody of a real girl.

And don't get me started on the kid whose name I couldn't even remember who is probably even scared of his own shadow in the mirror. Why did he join the camp in the first place? Was he threatened by his parents?

Probably the only character I found a little more realistic and engaging was the sporty girl simply because she didn't seem too over-the-top.

So, I watched the entire show to see if one or two of the kids get eaten by the T-Rex. Since this is a spoiler-free review, I won't tell you if my wish has been granted.

I know that this is a kid's show and I don't have a problem with that. There are great shows for kids out there! Shows with interesting, likeable characters who can function as role models for your own kids.

But this is not it. JW:CC has decent action and nice dinosaurs (probably the reason why anybody watches this anyway). If you care about more than that, don't watch it.
44 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.