Awake (2021) Poster

(III) (2021)

Not worth your time
genehenson9 June 2021
I was going to write a full review of this, but it's not worth my time to write it or your time to read it.

Do yourself a favor and watch anything else.
186 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really Enjoyed It
This was a good story and was definitely worth my time. I love apocalyptic, sci-fi stories, so I watched this as soon as it came out. I was on the edge of my seat through most of it. It's true that there's a weird religious part in the film, but it was brief and insignificant. Seriously, it's not worth mentioning. The person who complained about it was probably hoping for another Hollywood flash and bang film. I also enjoyed the film because I'm a mother and could relate to how the main character protected her children.

I was disappointed that the movie was kind of short, and there could have been more character development for some of the actors. The kids in the film were great, and so was the leading lady. If you're expecting an earth-shaking movie, then this is probably not for you. If you're hoping to just catch a good movie, then I suggest you give this a try.
62 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average movie, poor ending.
krissdelhi9 June 2021
Movie couldn't hold my interest much but I finished it hoping for a good climax, but it ended in disappointment.
89 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awake will make you fall asleep
kreminal9 June 2021
"Awake" is pure chaos..There was not a single scene that caught my attention. Watch something else instead.
84 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Standard Netflix Production
Tweetienator9 June 2021
Some people compare Awake with Bird Box (S. Bullock) but whereas I was highly entertained and thrilled by the latter one (my rate: 7), I watched Awake rather drowned in an ocean of indifference. Awake simply lacks of thrill and action and the story told unfolds very slowly and there are just too many scenes and dialogues that are all cliche in. In this sense Awake reminds me a lot of Greenland (2020, Gerard Butler), which also tells us a story that works more or less on auto-pilot: scenes after scenes we watched million times before. In short: the script is (like in so many movies these days) the weakest link (the ending is not only a cheap twist but a joke too), and whereas movies like Bird Box or The Road are top contributions to the genre of post-apocalyptic movies, Awake sails close on the edge of boredom.

Last note: the writer and director should have done some experiments with sleep deprivation: I managed 10 days (back then in my younger years) without the necessity of a visit of a mental institute and/or the notion to run havoc or beat up my fellow humans ;)
86 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure garbage
vicentep-436509 June 2021
I couldn't take more than 15 minutes watching. Just pure garbage. I think it took 2 hours to write this script after reading some recent news. Draw your own conclusions.
96 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok but something missing
oldpaperpeddlers13 June 2021
Movie has an interesting premise but like Greenland, another "disaster" movie I watched recently, it's as if the writers imagined the film as sci-fi but hadn't a clue how to actually write a plot with science, so they threw a few crumbs in the plot to get it going then Awake turned into a road trip to nothing. The characters were unable to sleep but I didn't have any trouble....

The movie is more about a former soldier/mom/recovering drug abuser and her vulnerabilities, which is generally fine, but like Greenland, Awake falls into one complication after the other in an attempt to get to safety / find a cure which, again is generally ok, but it should have had some science along the way to make it seem like a, well, sci-fi. In the beginning of the movie just after the accident the movie seemed to actually skip an important piece of information--where the characters become aware of the inability to sleep. Seems there would have been more buzz about that moment. Instead the movie jumps ahead like we're supposed to know that the world, except for two people, can't sleep and will go crazy and die. Well, nothing interesting (sciency) really happens from there. And the ending? What ending? It is a CHEAP shot by a writer to avoid a real ending. Go ahead and watch the film if you have nothing better to do just to check out that... ending. The little girl who couldn't sleep did a fine job acting. Gina Rodriguez is good a playing a vulnerable but tough mom who does a lot of sobbing like mom's are supposed to do. She's also good at playing characters who sound like they have asthma and no inhaler.

Could have been a better movie. I wouldn't have paid money to see it (well I sorta did since I'm a Netflix sub). Was hoping for more.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted opportunity
hcb-8013 June 2021
My guess is the pitch that made Netflix give the greenlight was convincing. But...

Likeability of protagonists: close to zero.

Pacing of story: not working

Gory scenes: I feel nothing.

I could go on, but let's just say it doesn't work.

To the filmmakers: if you get the greenlight, don't screw it up like this.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A refreshingly non-Hollywoodish realistic-feel sort-of-sci-fi.
Top_Dawg_Critic10 June 2021
Wow the the critics went real hard on this one. I was fully engaged, and in a state of anxiety and suspense from start to finish.

As a hardcore sci-fi fan, this isn't one of those Hollywood-styled futuristic aliens and spaceships take over the world type film. But instead, something more current and relatable (solar flares) and down to earth. When you hear about a film that includes world-wide unexplained insomniacs, you assume just another zombie movie. I'm really grateful that wasn't the case here, as I'm tired of zombie movies - unless they are funny and include Woody Harrelson in them. In fact, I felt the story's concept was brilliant and well executed.

The 96 min runtime was just right and paced perfectly. This film was shot really well, with great cinematography, and a very fitting and decent score. Mad props to the director and writers - all fairly newb filmmakers, for creating non-stop anxiety and suspense right from the get go. Casting and performances were on point, with Rodriguez at her best, playing a mother trying to teach her daughter fast-tracked end-of-the-world survival skills, but stealing the show was the young Ariana Greenblatt as Matilda, who was outstanding.

Many didn't like the ending, which I couldn't understand why, because I thought it ended perfectly, with the option left open for a part two. Fingers crossed! It's well deserved 8/10 from me.
99 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the negative reviewers
mtjohnson-610019 June 2021
This movie is great. It's not a movie you depict from moment to moment and full of action. Judge this movie based on your own viewpoints but it is definitely worth the watch!
66 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
underrated
kokomo1239 June 2021
This is a decent movie by all means. Although the key solution of how to save people becomes obvious quite early, it is absolutely believable that sleep-deprived people are not that good at finding solutions in general. Acting is mostly good, there are unexpected vfx, shootings, chases. Sure there are problems. Feels like producers couldn't agree on plot twists in the second half and released the version that is still raw. It could use extra 15 minutes to work on fluidity of scene transition and character growth. More trials and errors would add to drama and plausibility. I rate it 7.5.
55 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad !
pdbodyshop9 June 2021
This movie is bad. I mean really bad. Started off fairly well but from the first few minutes it spiraled downward pretty quickly. IMO it's definitely not worth the watch.
59 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnificently Creative Concept fails to create the magic
The concept was magnificently structured and was something new to watch out. It started off incredibly well increasing my expectations to another level, however, failed to deliver. The Gina-Rodriguez centric film, in which she, no doubt, did a wonderful job, doesn't quite get the edge in the middle. It lacks the superior intensity in the second half. It could have easily been one of the best movies of 2021, although isn't a complete mess, however, doesn't quite amuse. It is without a doubt entertaining and the captivating genre keeps you interesting enough. Average, recommended for some.
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I actually enjoyed it!!!!
j-braveheart9 June 2021
Big apocalyptic movie fan. And it's been a while since a good one. And i have to say, waiting on a good end of the world flick (still waiting) this was a fun and in my opinion good movie to entertaining me while i wait longer for a real good movie.

So this is definitely a good enough movie, the acting is good. The storyline is okay. The end is predictable but so what.

If you're in to this genre you will most definitely appreciate this movie. The first well attempt for a no sleeping disaster script.

I liked it! It deserves a higher grade.
45 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good movie
nickpedersen10 June 2021
The story is interesting, and the actors is doing a good job.

I like the pace and the storytelling of the movie.

Compared to most of the bs that comes out from Netflix, this one is a blockbuster!
30 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lackluster in every way
ekali-395629 June 2021
I was looking forward to this but after watching it I can't give you one good reason to watch it. Good premise just seemed like they didn't know how to build on except for the church scene. And the last third of the movie and the ending is garbage. Save your time.
38 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth the watch
nicholsjillian12 June 2021
If you like sci-fi and apocalypse movies, this movie is a must watch. Acting was good and I actually couldn't predict what the outcome of the movie would be, which is a plus. Tired of the same old predictable movies. This was an interesting action packed watch all the way through and it wasn't to drawn out of a movie. It was straight to the point.
37 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's kinda disappointing. I was hoping for more.
trishiamae-782719 June 2021
There was no background to the problem. Lacking good cinematography. Although, it has an interesting story that nobody could sleep.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A terrible movie with a terrible ending
jidemikey20 June 2021
Was extremely difficult to understand what the heck was going on.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter, utter, utter rubbish
boydpeters9 June 2021
Pathetic.

Awful character A. 1 dimensional.

Written by the Left Behind people? There are few words.

Its Hopelessness hidden by a mother with diminishing mind

Zero sense of urgency

Low bar these days on what constitutes a storyline, and writing.
58 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing makes sense in this film
Sonique1520 June 2021
The idea was pretty good, actually, but he story is a mess from the beginning to the end. Someone should have made a little effort to get a better script.

Don't bother watching.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A better than average end of the world film
siderite9 June 2021
This is one of those films where something terrible happens so everybody goes completely nuts and a single mom has to save her children. I don't understand why in movies whenever something world altering happens, Americans start shooting each other almost immediately, but that's what all of them show, including Awake. Then there are the children, which are always incredibly dumb and put everybody in danger multiple times and only survive because it's in the script. Children are usually less experienced than adults, but they are not all idiots.

However, all that aside, the film was quite good for its genre. It was acted OK, it had a clear and concise story, it only lasted one hour and a half and the main character wasn't an emotional wreck crying and needing to be saved all the time either. Was it a good film in general? Not really, but I've stopped wishing for intelligence and complexity in disaster movies a long time ago.

Bottom line: a very simple premise that needed no special effects or mumbo jumbo, a linear and well produced storyline, decent acting. For this type of movie, it was a lot better than the average.
63 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix again
thausilveira10 June 2021
Why am I not surprised with this so bad movie?

Really, this is really terrible in so many ways, netflix, please stop to produce movies, you don't know to do this.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining Flick
auDutchie9 June 2021
Solid acting and a fairly decent story line. We watched this movie when no reviews where yet available. As such we did not have any high expectations, but it ended up being a good pick for the night.
42 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Counting the Sheep
delaricardo9 June 2021
Ironically, this movie is amazing for sleep deprivation, probably had the best night sleep in a long time starting from about halfway into the film

Night nurse, you have competition!
25 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.