Max Richter's Sleep (2019) Poster

Watch then listen
payre7413 September 2020
This documentary provides an intimate look into how this truly beautiful piece of art was conceptualised and brought to life. The brainchild of Max Richter, a prolific composer who has added such essential scores to TV and films, such as The Leftovers, Arrival, Hostiles and Ad Astra, this eight hour lullaby has been his labour of love for twenty five years. This film documents a live open air performance in Los Angeles, one of nine that were showcased around the world. With interviews from Richter, his partner and musical collaborator Yulia, and comments from attendees of the event, it achieves it's goal of an explanation and origin story. Ultimately though, Sleep is a musical experience that transcends our consciousness between our two natural states, and the blurred reality that joins them. So make sure you have the full album ready to sing you to sleep as the credits begin to roll. You cannot fail to be moved.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How Brilliant!
diggnuts11 September 2020
An exploration of the 1/3rd of the time our mind is not really our own. I know for a fact that music can positively impact sleep and perhaps even dreams because I used to softly put on classical music before I went to sleep after hectic days.

The difference between that and no music was enormous and helped me through some tough times.

Seeing how science has barely scratched the surface of how sleep, music and dreams impact our minds and bodies in obvious fundamental ways, this experiment is fascinating and the result positively genius. You'd have to be a seriously tasteless, shallow feather brain not to see the sheer beauty and brilliance of this.

The result... A pure masterpiece as utterly brilliant when awake as when asleep. It is truly soul music, at least for people who actually have, what we could call a soul.

Even the dog showed interest in this sonic experience. Not that some pauper people are not capable of having less class, style and taste than a dog, but still. Most people with some culture, experience and common sense should love this.

If it is NOT for you.. I recommend to EAT some good books or something.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feels longer than Sleep itself...
peter-340-32438013 September 2020
30 minuten would have been enough for this documentary. I prefer to listen to the full 8 hours of Sleep itself.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How Stupid
arfdawg-111 September 2020
Most moronic movie you will see all year. Trust me.

It's complete trash for people with too much time on their hands.
5 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.