The War Below (2020) Poster

(2020)

a pretty intense...
ops-5253517 April 2021
First world war drama ,in the fields of no mansland, soldiers life in the trenches of mud and decay, rats and the proud underground workers serving under the colonels wings in the ranks of king edward/george?(cant remember) the king of the british empire, where the coal miners excavate tunnels under the german lines to blast the into never land.

Its a dangerous job digging, also the danger of crossing the line of german mining moles does amplify the scares. So its about silence in everything you do, unless you might get killed by an earthskott.

Story and production is well taken care of, the detailed background war theater that usually is a lowdown on past productions,do seem very realistic here. To be squemish i think the spoken english is far to modern, some dialect coaching couldve made it more timely of the era.

Intens and feels like never ending, and shows some of the forgotten sons of the king and country, they didnt win the war, they just laid the foundation for it. A good film good style and at times quite breathless moment for a grumpy old man. Recommended.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inspired by true events
Hammer-Rocks17 April 2021
This is the first movie I've seen that was focusing on this topic - digging a tunnel to the German trenches. Up to this point, I've only ever read about the sorts of daring actions these coal miners did in the trenches in WWI.

The production value was high. It really did manage to convey what life was like for the diggers in these trenches. But even so, I'm sure it was no where near representing how it was really like in real life. But it was done well in this movie. It's realism clearly exceeding the realism of any recent war movies - particularly when compared to movies like "Dunkirk" by Chris Nolan.

Other pluses from this movie... the acting was superb, the drama and atmosphere created with all the special effects and set designs, simply brilliant.

SUMMARY: Inspired by true events with the war serving as the backdrop The main story is the courage, sacrifices and contribution the coal miners did in WWI.

VERDICT: Recommended viewing - specially if you're a history/war buff.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A quietly done but excellent war movie.
braddy417 April 2021
If I were one of the tunnellers I would be proud of this movie, it was focused, respectful and moving.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice to see Veterans
solclayton19 April 2021
I've signed up just to leave this review because what I love is that they've used real life military veterans as some of the actors. I know one of them and he's a top bloke.

The film itself is really good, some nice realistic touches and the insignias are all spot on as far as I can see. They've obviously used some creative license with following just one team of tunnellers but I guess that's a practical thing as well as for story. They do mention though that there's other teams of Royal Engineers digging who we don't see.

Looks a lot better than what we usually get in the UK and recognised one of the locations as Beamish, great place to visit.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Great Grandfather Walter William Simkin
gavansimkin16 April 2021
My Great Grandfather Walter William Simkin died in No Man's Land in those Mines.
19 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly underrated, great movie
carlos-pires25 April 2021
It simply has everything in the right place. It's a combination of a great story of real selfless sacrifice, a good script and excellent acting.

Could the end result be any better? Sure. If they had the budget for million-dollar special effects and A-list actors, the eye-candy value would be higher. But this is a war movie, about real people who gave their lives for others. It's not Candy Crush.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb
wow-2416727 April 2021
Damn, what a movie! I love a story within a story. In times of war, hero's are made, or where they always that man/women on a path to their destiny?
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.