The Mummy Rebirth (2019) Poster

AHHH!! It's An UNCORK'D Film........
PurpleCrayon201414 August 2019
Grab What You Can and Run.....RUN I Say, As Fast As You Can!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was mostly just bad...
paul_haakonsen13 August 2019
Well, granted there wasn't much of any particular expectations for this 2019 movie titled "The Mummy Rebirth".

And sitting down to watch the movie with no expectations, the movie had every chance to impress and bedazzle. It just fell short of doing so.

The storyline told in "The Mummy Rebirth" was pretty straight forward, which actually was a nice enough thing. You essentially just disconnect your brain and sit back to watch the movie. There are no requirements on your part as the audience, because the storyline is so simplistic.

The acting in the movie was adequate. I wasn't familiar with anyone on the cast list. Which is actually something I do enjoy, so there are no associations with previously portrayed characters by established actors and actresses. So, for me, that was also a plus for the movie.

Now, the CGI effects team were not properly funded. The CGI creatures in "The Mummy Rebirth" were just atrocious to look at. It was like watching something from a 1990s horror PC game. It was really, really bad.

And as for the practical effects, well... Let's just say that they tried. But the mummies in the movie, while some of the appearances of them was good, other parts were just abysmal. For example, why would the eyes not have desiccated and withered away after all those years? And it was painstakingly clear that people were just wearing latex or rubber masks over their heads, as you could see the flesh around their eyes. And I would also think that a mummy would be more gaunt and skeletal after years of mummification, yet the mummy here had very thick hands, which were very obviously latex or rubber gloves worn, because they were thicker than a normal man's hands! No, the practical effects in "The Mummy Rebirth" were atrocious and just didn't work out at all.

I will say that the props in the movie were quite good. Lots of details here and lots of interesting things being shown throughout the course of the movie. And they also had some interesting sets and locations. This was working well enough for the movie.

All in all, "The Mummy Rebirth" ended up as a less than mediocre movie, and there are far better movies revolving around the iconic reanimated mummy character available.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Asylum grade junk
Max_Lucas14 August 2019
Asylum you now have competition! Who can make the worst movie ever? Poor acting and the award winning camera "shake" for action scene. Makes it hard to tell the difference from an Asylum movie.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Review Of "The Mummy Rebirth"
ASouthernHorrorFan16 August 2019
The story is adventurous. Much more than what a movie production of this caliber can generally accomplish. There are familiar tropes, obvious set-up points and very stereotypical characters. The film plays along the lines of "The Mummy" ( Brendan Fraser's). It opens up almost drawing from Tomb Raider influences. And had it not gotten of with such a drawn out start, might have garnered some enthusiasm.

I wasn't expecting a lot from the film, to be honest. Movies about mummies tend to let me down. Still Price and his team should be applauded. They went for something big and they went all in. The production staff, casting, CGI team, everything (even as much falls flat) shows total commitment and unified vision for bringing the story together. I just got the impression it was a small story stretched out way too much, in order to create a feature length story with very little substantial matter worked in.

That being said, "The Mummy Rebirth" picks up a little half way through the middle and really kicks up the adventure side. As tacky as I thought the CGI effects were, they did provide enough to match a lot of the early 2000's Syfy stuff. Plus I loved the creature design for the mummies and the settings and backdrops rocked.

Overall this one will appeal to a small select low-budget audience. The majority of horror fans who aren't as forgiving when it comes to quality and substance will not, still "The Mummy Rebirth" isn't the worst Mummy film I have seen lately. Oh and I almost forgot, the thing basically turns into a Kaiju monster movie by the end.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.