CODA (2021) Poster

(2021)

Very Very good - My story in a movie
waelageez0113 August 2021
Me and my brother grow up in a family with both of my parents deaf, both of us were born not deaf and we had to go through the same thing that the movie captured, people used to laugh at us and our parents and we were young and we couldn't even understand why we were treated differently.

The movie truly is a masterpiece with the acting specially the deaf acting and the way they described how deaf people live their life is very realistic.

CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) The story of Ruby, a child who grow up in a deaf family, they depended on her as she the only one who could speak, and when she found her passion about singing, she has to decide whether she continue helping her family or leave them for college.

It's enjoyable and different I highly recommend this movie.
245 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Just Another Coming of Age Story...
Xstal13 August 2021
A hearing girl in a deaf family, restricted by her dynamic, silenced by her surroundings with potential and passion attenuated, battles to be heard but oh what a song she finally sings - absolutely outstanding, with some of the finest, most sincere and most genuine performances you'll find. Take it to your heart and let it dwell.
87 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
La Famille Bélier but American
arizonaangels27 June 2021
I could complain about how they felt the need to adapt a French movie from years ago... but I am just happy that this story gets to be shared with more people. Lovely story, coming off age, family relations. The resulting movie is a great feat, showing people a world they are not familiar with.
77 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i cried alot
mohammeddiyaa15 August 2021
My sister had autism and she can't speak, so in the whole movie i'm thinking about her and my family, and i was so emotional the whole time, thanks for everyone who worked on this movie.
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Delightful Movie For All
sweidman-2801629 January 2021
As the opening for Sundance, CODA gave us a delightful story of a hearing child in a deaf family. She finds herself torn between pursuing her love of music and her family's reliance on her to be their connection to the outside world. I would like to say how much of a crowd pleaser this is. All of the reviews have come back positive saying this is the best opener since Whiplash. The performances are good all around. What got to me most is the family dynamic. It's something really heart-warming to watch that put a smile on my face the whole time. The comedy landed well throughout. The same goes for the drama. Sian Heder is a good director and we see the heart put into the movie. The story is where some of my issues came from. It follows a typical storyline that we've seen before in movies geared toward teens. It became predictable along the way and some of the scenes felt too good to be true. But I understand this isn't meant to be something to breakdown and analyze. All in all, this is meant to make us feel good and that's exactly what it did. I look forward to rewatching this again in the future.
55 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Worth Your Time
cadewhite-8606129 January 2021
Saw this movie at SUNDANCE 2021. Features great performances all around, but Emilia Jones is going to be a star. Would be awesome to see Troy Katsur get some recognition come awards season as well. The movie is full of heart, made me laugh and made me cry. There were some really beautiful scenes in here and some surprisingly funny ones. The only thing that holds it back is the predictability that comes with abiding by coming of age genre conventions. The pacing also drags a little bit in the middle of the movie. However, the family dynamic here just completely elevates it above normal coming of age fare.
44 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sundance 2021: CODA might very well end up as my favorite film of the festival and one of the best movies of the year!
msbreviews30 January 2021
If you enjoy reading my Spoiler-Free reviews, please follow my blog :)

I know Sundance is one of those festivals that carry dozens of impressive, impactful films from writer-directors that really throw themselves into the art of filmmaking and storytelling. I anticipated being blown away by many movies that I knew nothing about or didn't recognize the crew and cast involved. I expected some films to emotionally impact me so much that I'd save them close to my heart until the very end of the year. With this said, I was unbelievably far from imagining that the very first viewing would be a heavy contender for my absolute favorite movie of the entire festival.

CODA (Child Of Deaf Adults) is the first film I watch by Siân Heder, and after this session, I can't wait to see what she did so far and what she's going to do in the future. The clearly interesting premise is developed through a much more emotional narrative than I expected. From rich visual storytelling to exceptional use of sign language, Heder is able to capture something unique and deeply important to transmit to the audience and to today's society. The world was fortunate enough to get Sound of Metal last year, and CODA reinforces the essential message that being deaf must not be seen as a massive disability or a brutal handicap.

As the movie cleverly communicates through its impeccable screenplay, having some sort of "limitation" doesn't automatically characterize someone as weird, different, or that the respective family members don't love each other as much or more than the so-called "normal" families. Except for a somewhat insignificant love relationship featuring the main character (that could have brought up an entirely different, unnecessary, and even distracting topic to the film's central, vital themes), I was incredibly invested in every single storyline.

In fact, I find every interaction within the deaf family much more compelling and captivating than any other dialogue in the movie, and this is mostly due to the amazing performances from the cast. Leaving the protagonist to the end, Daniel Durant (Leo Rossi, brother) and Marlee Matlin (Jackie Rossi, mother) are great as supporting characters, but Troy Kotsur (Frank Rossi, father) and Eugenio Derbez (Bernardo Villalobos, music teacher) literally left me in tears with their heartfelt displays. I could feel the outstanding commitment to their roles, and I'm delighted that Bernardo Villalobos isn't just another stereotypical, cliche, hysterical choir adult.

However, the biggest praise in my bag must go to powerful glue that holds everything together, elevating the whole film to a whole other level: Emilia Jones as the only hearing member of the family, Ruby Rossi. First of all, I love music, and Pentatonix is actually my favorite group (acapella or not), so hearing so many wonderful voices singing together would always be a massive plus for CODA in my review. Nevertheless, not only Jones' voice is sumptuously heartwarming, but her performance has everything an actor needs to receive acting nominations. I can't remember the last time I was fully invested in a single character in such an emotionally powerful manner, and Jones is definitely a major reason.

A final praise to Paula Huidobro's visually grabbing camera work and Marius de Vries, who composed the movie's subtle yet efficient score and who I'm guessing had a hand in the song choices. Either way, terrific job.

CODA may very well end up as my favorite film of the 2021's edition of the Sundance Film Festival, and it will undoubtedly become a must-watch movie when it's available worldwide. Siân Heder offers her impeccable direction and beautifully written screenplay, which is packed with emotionally powerful moments that left me tearing up for the last forty-five minutes. Boasting an educative, meaningful message regarding the deaf community and what our society perceives as a tremendous handicap/disability, the characteristic visual storytelling and the captivating interactions within the deaf family prove to be incredibly investing, deeply elevating the overall piece. With the help of heartfelt, genuine performances from the supporting cast (mainly Troy Kotsur and Eugenio Derbez), Emilia Jones takes off and lands one of my favorite female performances in a long, long time. A tear-inducing, thoughtful film that I hope will conquer audiences all around the world.

Rating: A
50 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Job Opportunity for Deaf Actors, but, "Same Ole, Same Ole"
movicus-6351314 August 2021
This movie was a good story that showed hilarious moments, awkward moments, and cultural moments that involved a Deaf family. All of the actors were great. Especially, Troy Kotsur. He is a master! He deserves an Oscar, in my opinion. The movie was written and directed by Sian Heder. She is pretty good! I really enjoyed this movie but this movie should have been released in 1970s-1990s instead of today. This movie didn't show the use of technology that we use along with American Sign Language, (ASL). Technology such as Video Relay Services, and a Video Phone. The device was in the movie but they didn't use it, because they preferred to use their daughter to interpret instead. My dad and aunt did this during the 1970s-1990s, because at that time, there were no devices such as Video Phones for Deaf people to use. Technology was not yet developed then. Today it is better. So, when I watched this movie and I felt like the movie had the same old theme. The theme is consistent in depicting the old adage; "poor Deaf people can't do anything for themselves, because they can't hear and they need to depend on their CODA children to interpret and do everything for them". CODA means Child of Deaf Adults. Did we, the Deaf Community ALL like this movie? No. It's very different today. I use a Video Phone, I use the technology available to me today. I can request an ASL interpreter for my doctor's appointment by myself, along with communicating with my employer, and communicating with other hearing folks through current technology/interpreting services. I don't need to use my dad to interpret, or my sister. This movie didn't show that because like I said this move shows an old theme, and this movie should have been released 20-30 years ago. I don't understand why they made this movie, until I learned that this movie is based on the original film, "La Famille Belier." They decided to make the movie, "CODA", as "La Famille Belier" is a foreign, (French) film, and they wanted to do a reinvention/remake of this film. I haven't seen the original film yet, but the issue here is the story/plot is old and out of date. While I enjoyed the movie, I would give it an 8 out of 10. I truly hope that this is the last movie that depicts Deaf folks in a negative and pitiful light, and that we can move on from this and develop/produce movies that depict Deaf people equal to hearing folks.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Endearing and Delightful
SleepingMorpheus14 August 2021
This movie on the surface looks like any other coming of age movie about a girl from a troubled family. But I assure you, its anything but that. CODA follows Ruby as the only hearing person in the deaf family with a beautiful singing voice. We follow along as she struggles with the decision to stay and help her poor family's business or follow her singing dreams.

In hindsight, this movie gets away with many sugary sweet cliches that makes you puke. And that's what makes it stand out. A very touching story impressively crafted. It's direction, performances and story are all high class. Truly magnificent storytelling.
29 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved every minute of this movie!
JasonMcFiggins29 January 2021
CODA is hilarious and awkward and touching. Part coming of age story about finding your voice, part family drama, and all incredibly moving and effective. So rich and authentic, every scene will either make you laugh or make you cry. I felt my heart start to race about 30 minutes in, knowing I was experiencing something great. CODA is simply as beautiful as movies get. Emilia Jones will capture your heart, and it's remarkable how effortlessly she carries this movie. Keep an eye on her, she's about to break out.
38 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You should watch this
jdn-8293111 September 2021
The movie is cliche, hokey and predictable but the actors are so engaging I didn't mind. The pacing is slow but if you're patient, sit back and take the ride. There are good moments in here.

This movie is fine. I just wish they'd shaved 20 min off the run time. There were some unnecessary b story building that discounted the overall storyline.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a cute remake
diogocinefilo14 August 2021
Why nobody say that it's a remake of the french The Belier Family (2014)? A cute remake (better songs), but still a remake 😅
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful movie
jonastevens14 August 2021
Some scenes in the last half had me in tears. Especially one scene with the daughter and dad sitting on the back of their pickup at night. Great film.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do yourself a favor and go see CODA as soon as you can
eevaivilo11 August 2021
I'm not one that gets emotional during movies very often, but this film had even me shedding a few tears.

First and foremost, on a general note, it's been incredible to see the amount of accurate and respectful deaf representation in cinema recently. From this, Sound of Metal, and the Quiet Place franchise (and hell, even the use of ASL in Godzilla v. Kong), actual deaf actors and the deaf community are getting the representation in cinema they deserve.

Further, the predominantly deaf audience I had the privilege of seeing this film with was elated to find that captions would be provided ON SCREEN, and not with captiview equipment. Hopefully, this film helps usher this accessibility in as a standard, and not an exception.

Now, focusing on CODA specifically, it's a brilliantly written and acted story was clearly a labor of love for all involved. You can tell how much the director cared about doing the story justice and accurately capturing the struggles and hardships the deaf community face, as well as the community and love they all share.

During this film, you really feel as though you are a part of this family, and their struggles become your struggles. This movie had me laughing, crying, and smiling the whole way through. It's a movie literally anyone can enjoy.

This movie really struck a chord with me, and it probably will for you too. So do yourself a favor and see it when it's out. It deserves your support.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film was a cinematic masterpiece
rezaasadzadeh10 September 2021
After seeing this cinematic masterpiece, We should be thankful that we have the ability to hear,Because in this film, the blessing of "hearing" shows us what a great blessing it is.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From France
lionelfritiau17 August 2021
I'm a French Sign language user, fluently, for social business.

So I've seen the original, and.. don't waste your time or money, he is like a spit on the French Deaf communauty.

This one.. is so much respectfull, realistic (?).

Deaf life in a little city in america is what you live in a big city in France.. So thank you for this one so beautifull movie.

Merci à vous.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best drama ever for deaf's side story
vphqtdxc14 August 2021
That really touched my heart too many times, many laughs too and I cried few times too. I have not laughed this much in a long time because of a movie. And I mean many laughs. The best deaf movie I've seen and I'm glad that I able to witness this in my lifetime, yes!
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great...
ops-5253514 August 2021
Just great,my hearing son did a year at a norwegian ''folkehøgskole''for deaf adults,and told me just like CODA tells,if you got a witty fantasy,you might die from laughter at the best moments.a must see and 10 stars from the GOM.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This One's Special
lmessersmith14 August 2021
Beautiful film, compelling characters, gorgeous message. LOVED it! But bring the Kleenex.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reality life of Deaf individual
Anasrehmankt4914 August 2021
Just finished watching this film and it was amazing. It was heartwarming, hilarious and wholesome. Definitely one of the best films of this year. By the way, if anyone don't know what does the word 'CODA' stands for. "CODA", which stands for "Child of Deaf Adults". It helps viewers into a world that many people have never seen, with a silence they've never experienced. I recommend everyone to watch this movie and enjoy it.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
gorille-9252313 August 2021
This movie is good. The concept of family is very important to me and the movie represente it well.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pulled Me In And Made Me Fall In Love
petermullins18 August 2021
I'm a guy who usually watches sci-fi and action movies so this film was not what I would normally watch. I won't give away the plot - plenty of others will do that! :) Instead what I will say is the story sucked me in from beginning to the end, I fell in love with the whole family (and Mr V - you'll see), I loved the music, it brought me to tears - more than once - and I was left satisfied at the end because I had an EXPERIENCE. A very rare 10/10 from me.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
atractiveeyes17 August 2021
This is just a masterpiece, it's the best movie I saw this year so far. It's so emotional, real, original, cute, funny and delightful. It has a very beautiful touching story with a new important representation. The cast is just brilliant, everyone gives superb performance and the chemistry between them is so likeable. Coda is a film that will haunt you for a long time, it's an enjoyable well crafted movie that will put a smile on your face while trying to hold your tears.
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film
timingsevrything30 January 2021
I was able to experience this film at the Texas Theatre's Drive-In in Dallas and it was a great time.

The film itself is very genuine and satisfying.

I recommend it for anyone and would say it will be remembered as one of the best of the year.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Movie I've seen in years.
dmaloney-5750513 August 2021
I loved this movie! I laughed, I cried, great movie.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.