How I Became a Super Hero (2020) Poster

An Alright Movie
deshan-7858013 July 2021
This is pretty much France's answer to Project Power, and like that movie this one as well was just okay. I didn't care about any of the characters, the story was predictable, and the score was incredibly bland & uninspired. It does have pretty good performances, some cool fights, decent visuals and cinematography, and above average directing.

Better go in with low expectations and you might not mind it for what it is.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Enjoyable, Much More Human
lumiens9 July 2021
My family watched this tonight. We enjoyed it immensely.

The characters seem much more down to earth and relatable. Then, there are the usual tropes but they are executed in a more intimate manner than many of the DC/Marvel/et al stories.

I am hoping this becomes a series that Netflix helps to develop.

I would recommend it - especially on a boring, late, Thursday night.
33 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cool and engaging
prakharjain-978989 July 2021
The story starts out slow but soons grabs your attention and interest. I watched the English dub and it's decent in the least. A good mix of action, suspense and novelty in the superhero world.

While this cannot be compared to DC/ Marcel movies at all, it's an entertaining one and deserves your time. Recommended watch !
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How I Stayed a Human
archangestelle12 July 2021
American superhero movies are all about cgi and saving the world. I had enough of that!

This movie stayed small, human. They are not superheroes, they are humans with powers, they have feeling, faults, everyday problems and that's why I like it.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it! I hope there will be series! or sequels
emmanuellebarone9 July 2021
What a great movie. We did not want it to be finished.

Much much better that all the terrible movies that have been out there lately.

Highly recommended!
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was not bad
kingx-9080310 July 2021
Though it was reminding me Project Power film from 2020 but this version wasnt that bad. It was enjoyable as i do enjoy superhero type movies.

Many people now n days may rate a movie based on the plot or idea has been done and give them low scores But me i feel why do we have to rate a film based on how it compares to another one?

We should be rating movies based on the movie itself and how well it is. I seen someone give a 1/10 because it was similiar to project power lol and the guy seemed confused saying its the same movie but different title lmao.

Goes to show some people just didnt watch the whole movie before rating low scores 😂

Its time people quit with the "Oh its been done already" or "nothing fresh in plotline" and just sit back, watch the movie and then rate it afterwards based on how well they did on their own Not comparing to other similar films.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly enjoyable
onepict11 July 2021
And it's a bonus that my French continues to improve as I am entertained by more and more interesting French movies. Interesting characters and plot line, I enjoyed following different story lines and solid production values. Let's hope we see a lot more of these "real" characters that seem more down to earth in a strange but familiar Parisian world.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Superhero Story arc with thrilling tone
subhodeb9 July 2021
Nice superhero story, with great works from the director and the cast. Perfectly fit with well versed effects and the superhero arc. At one point it felt totally awesome I won't mention the scene as it contains a spoiler. Something new and much more human. Overall a great storyline with realistic look in its nature. Watch without a second thought.
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A much cornier version of "Power"
inexplicable00718 July 2021
I had high hopes for this movie despite the very goofy opening soundtrack. We are introduced to a cop who has some type of agreement with superheros although that's not really explained til later but he Is paired with a female partner much to his chargrin. Together they are on the case to figure out who is using powers to kill and start fires which leads them to a bigger issue than they previously thought. The Movie was pretty predictable and lacked depth. I rolled my eyes several times and got the feeling this was intended for teenagers due to the weak dialogue, "humor" and script. I was never impressed or even cared when some action did take place and was quite happy when the movie ended.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of the best
enjozsef10 July 2021
Way much better than new marvel superhero movies. I can say the french did a good job. Its good acting, good music, great story. Could be a 8/10, but i give now 10 becouse a lot of negative review.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like a French version of Powers (but more entertaining)
siderite10 July 2021
If you remember the short lived TV Show Powers, you will find many similarities with this film. The same disillusioned cop working in a world that routinely manifests superheroes, a villain that attempts to extract superpowers from these people and use them himself and some children in danger so the stakes are raised. And that show was based on the comics written by Bendis in 2000 and this film is based on the book written by Gérald Bronner in 2007. And, as another user here was remembering, the really bad Project Power film also had a similar plot. So, nothing new, really.

Yet, for a French superhero film, it was pretty good. Nothing to tell your friends about, but empathetic characters and a decent story and special effects. Where it failed catastrophically, I believe, is in the relationship between the two cops. They had zero chemistry and the female character, which should have represented the point of view of the audience, was almost completely useless in terms of both capabilities and importance to the story. A decent effort, though.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too cliched for me
nherhaikb9 July 2021
"Meet your new partner" says the police chief. Oh look, it's the person you've just had a run in with in the first 5 minutes of the film. Oh come on. We've seen that one a hundred times already. So it didn't start well. Great idea and unusual plot but just didn't do it for me. Powers weren't up to much. In fact, I think that was it. The powers were really unimpressive. The only saving grace for me was Monte Carlo. Likeable character with the best powers. I suppose it's worth a watch if there's nothing else on. Think "The Boys" but about 20% as good.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So...
MovieIQTest9 July 2021
If you want to become a French styled superhero or super cop, you must live a sloppy life with a cat that share your breakfast in the same bowl, then you must keep chewing candies to get energy, your eyes are like two deadbeat fish eyes, a bit sleepy or suffer from insomnia. For the last 10 years as a detective, you didn't show any potential to further your career, only lived like a spiritless zombie in Hotel De Police. How come you were not fired?

This French made super hero wannabee movie is nothing but a joke. If you have the time to waste, just try to waste it elsewhere, don't spend your time to upload a 10/10 fake review to fool me.
15 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watchable
lorenzo-1657630 August 2021
Typically french. Mediocre actors, mediocre special effects, the plot is ok. Good Sunday afternoon movie. The most dramatic scenes will make you laugh ( they are soooo bad).
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope....
poinla3710 July 2021
Still a fail for the French film industry (don't get me wrong, I'm French...).

Watching a French superhero movie is like watching an american anime.

Netflix is obviously producing all kind of c...p from all around the world.

There's nothing much going and everything seem cheap.

If you want to watch French superheroes, I recommend Hero corp. It's a French comedy series with superheroes. That's as cheap as this movie, but at least they're completely comfortable with that and it's really funny.
9 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
French superheroes and policemen vs very evil and dangerous drug dealers
guisreis24 September 2021
Not awesome, but entertaining film about an alternative Paris where there are many (generally not so powerful) superheroes. Drug dealers are selling a new addictive made with... superhero blood! It makes users emulate the very same superpower for some time. Then, superheroes are being hunted. A policeman who loves candies, seems unruly and has a fruendship with a few former superheroes is the one who is designated to deal with crimes involving superheoes. A new partner will work with him, a policewoman, and their relationship did not start well. The rest of the story is well done, although predictable. Details are being added and they make sense. Pack Royal is a nice superhero team, and so is the relationship Moreau has with its members. I did not like the main villain, although his background story is interesting enough. Worth watching. I will deffinitely watch the sequel if Netflix makes it.
Franchise building (?)
kosmasp22 August 2021
I would not be surprised ... though I also don't expect anything comparable to the MCU ... or the Conjuring-verse for that matter. MCU being closer spiritually speaking of course.

I don't know if there are comics for this or if this is an original overall. Whatever the case, the premise or the overall story is sort of known, not just to comic book fans. Overall nicely done even when much is quite predictable, it does have its charme for sure.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow! A surprisingly fantastic movie!
Its-me-Michelle20 August 2021
Wow France, way to go! I give this movie 10 stars, because it's different, refreshing, with a great story, great actors and great music and time just flew by watching it.
Above Average
zwjonas9 August 2021
A nice touch. Its different. Great ending. Like last 20 minutes super solid. Would have done themselves some favors to just go PG-13 in USA atleast but good.
Sorry but a huge miss
aastikhimta8 August 2021
Even though there were some cgi scenes but still the plot could've been better. They should give it a little more effort. The concept was something different and nice though.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice take on the Superhero genre
larmo7 August 2021
I was kind of surprised at how much I liked this movie. It's a nice take on the Superhero genre. The acting is good, as is the CGI. There's a little humor mixed in with the action. The only fault I have with the film is the way the music and dialog are mixed. In my opinion, the music is unnecessary loud even when there is no need for it. This is a fun movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Le Superheroe a la fatale, or something like it
NestorTheGreat28 July 2021
A French version of a cross between Bright & Project Power. Strange details not revealed until the third act question my understanding or the translation of this film.

The acting was fine. The effects were great. The storyline was interesting, even though rehashed. Just the execution or order of events dislodged my taste in it.

Some storylines were undeveloped, like the culprits behind the nightclub fires, the child's true history and future, and a bit more backstory of the Royal Club wouldn't have hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it...just meh.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's french but still okay
bbailey3919 July 2021
Better than expected. Very cute but action ladden.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pas mal du tout, à découvrir
imdb-10399-6577013 July 2021
Ptit film français de super héros, sans spandex et six pack, dad bod et enquete policière, bien ficelé et avec Benoît poolevorde, comment ne pas aimer!!
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre
Movi3DO12 July 2021
A new French superhero movie on Netflix. While superheroes have assimilated into Parisian society, a new drug gives super powers to mere mortals.

This movie tried to be a crime thriller and a some kind of a superhero origin story. While they did a decent job with the former, they failed with the latter.

Our main character was a detective who had to work with new detective, and they had to work on the main case. The clues connected together nicely, and while the case was predictable in the end, I was still interested in the journey.

The universe of this movie wasn't anything new. Many people had different quirks while others did not possess any. This movie didn't add anything special while showing a few amount of quirks that were cliche.

Most of the characters were boring and not special. The villain was not at all menacing and had little backstory that make him interesting. The main character, despite having a traumatic past that was actually decent, still wasn't special enough to make the movie stand out.

The crime thriller seemed to dominate the story. This became detrimental because the superhero aspect felt like a side arc, which was what the movie was supposed to focus on.

Overall, a mediocre movie that didn't live up to its title. 5/10.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.