Spiral (2021) Poster

(2021)

Chris Rock should stick to comedy
mattwoolfrey28 May 2021
What was his big idea, just to be in it? He's easily the most obnoxious Saw character of all time. Traps sucked, b-movie gore was mediocre, for a thinking horror fan this feels feeble AF. If I were a producer, I'd be wishing I spent that budget on cocaine.
379 out of 500 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it's worse than most reviews say it is
decanc1 June 2021
Either they wasted all the budget on getting Samuel on board or something else has gone terrible wrong. The small events (quarrels, etc) throughout all the movie happen just for no reason, it all just looks so incredibly stupid. There is no plot twist or anything to keep you intrigued cos you can see everything happening from a mile away because of how stupid it is. I can't believe grown people wrote and directed this.

Script - bad. (so many stupid dialogs and completely wrong psychology of the characters, not going to deep into it cos it's not worth the time)

Directing - bad.

Editing - bad. (there was a shot out of focus of the ground; some shots have "camera shake" and some don't, in the same scene.. why? Why even bother using this effect if it adds no realism in the case of this movie; color grading is terrible)
282 out of 373 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disrespectful with the saga and horrible performances
ignacio-lopezmoreno18 May 2021
The rhythm of the plot was fast and devoid of real emotions. The use of the camera in some moments is absurd and abuses cheap tricks. It is obvious who is responsible after 20 minutes and it is ridiculous how they try to play with the protagonist. By the way, lousy update for Chris Rock, and unfortunately for Samuel L. Jackson, it seems that if it's not Tarantino, they don't know how to guide him.
258 out of 341 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry didnt buy chris rock as a tough cop, story was mediocre ,We Missed jigsaw!!
joiningjt21 May 2021
Didnt have a great story like the original, didnt have a character that grabs you like jigsaw. Ending was weak and the ending saw twist was now where near as good as most saws. Sorry Chris but didnt like you in fargo and didnt like you here. It might just be me maybe seeing him as a stand up comic to much, but his acting delivery seems the same as his stand up. And his presence just doesn't transfer into drama horror or him being a tough guy. Was ok once but not theater or bluray worthy, it's a Netflix or cable watch film.
188 out of 246 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Downward Spiral: The Top Twenty Things I Observed in SPIRAL: FROM THE BOOK OF SAW
thesar-222 August 2021
1. This is the exact reason the Razzies exist.

2. Pathetically predictable villain might as well be called Roy Burns.

3. In a series known for terrible acting, Chris Rock said: "Hold my beer."

4. Felt like some kids came up with the script from only watching Saw trailers.

5. Chris Rock's oddly inserted stand-up comedy routines proved he had no idea what movie he was in.

6. Or he just didn't care.

7. And like the writers, I also suspect Chris Rock has never watched a Saw film.

8. Hell, he even looks confused on the poster.

9. Placing a Pulp Fiction reference in an overly dramatic scene is overly stupid.

10. Kept expecting Pinhead to show up to make THIS the worst Hellraiser sequel.

11. "John Live TV" showed me this for free which is too expensive even at half the price.

12. Where is the 'Everything Wrong With' video? It would be their first hourlong episode.

13. Using the Saw score in this is just as cringy as the Jaws theme in Jaws: The Revenge.

14. This police force isn't just amusingly inept, they're all just standing around waiting to die.

15. The Dark Knight Rises' police force is now brilliant comparatively speaking.

16. The Peacemaker would love this movie's hero: the 2nd most hypocritical "good-guy."

17. Was this originally a Scary Movie sequel due to the new & absolutely hilarious Jigsaw voice?

18. And people thought Chucky's new voice in his remake was bad.

19. I was FAR too harsh on the other Saw disasters, mostly anything beyond III.

20. With the way this abruptly and hilariously ends led me to believe the Director just wanted it to be over & remove his name from the credits.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terribly bland and predictable
mrloki-0802815 June 2021
This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm not even joking, the movie is boring, really stupid, and extremely predictable. It looks like a movie Micheal Scott could direct, it's so full of clichés that it's actually baffling that this was produced.

I kid you not the main character is the "I don't want a partner" cop character we've already seen a million times, and there's literally nothing else to his character other than that badass imagery.

Also the ending shot is hilarious.
70 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty terrible
mrzim_logovanje1 June 2021
Why is this getting OK reviews ? The acting was horrible, the "twist" was so obvious. And why were there jump scares ? Totally misses the point.

Don't waste your time.
80 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very average
bangel332217 May 2021
While this had some good moments and good traps and a decent storyline, this isn't anything special or new, and should have been far more superior than it was. Chris Rock was better than I expected but I still think I'd like to have seen someone else in the role. Unfortunately though this was far too predictable as it's very obvious early on who the Jigsaw copycat is. Unlike other films there wasn't much subtlely. A shame as they had an opportunity here to make something really exciting.
93 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
where to begin?
TalulaGrey1 June 2021
This was such a slog to get through. Chris rock's acting was way over the top and he was not believable. In fact all of the acting was pretty awful. The story was nothing special. It's as though they didn't even try to create a decent story or characters with any depth. I can't forget the continuity errors that I caught while watching. They were so obvious and distracting. It is apparent to me that the film makers didn't care about making a quality film. I did like the moodiness and certain production values which is why I gave this a 3. Other than that, I do not recommend this film.
58 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where's the movie
adaniel020616 May 2021
For any franchise fans that have been around since the early 2000s, I recommend waiting for home release.

The editing from floor is either a sea of footage left out or they filmed this in under a month. The film felt like it was cut to be a 90 minute trailer of what they WANT to make a new Saw movie about. It did not allow for the basic fundamentals of cinema to be utilized in scene structuring, not enough beats. Just continuous punches. Chris Rock really channeled Rick Grimes with the camera eye stares.
105 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B - Movie Writing
skylinekiller14 May 2021
This movie had potential, but the writing was just awful. If you are looking for a nice plot twist, then us best watch the previous ones. Chris Rock made a valiant attempt, but fell short...by a long shot...and should stick to standup or comedies. The kills scenes were rather decent but were a little redundant with the design. Overall, the movie is hollow and falls right in line with the rest of 2020-2021 movies leaving us hungry for a quality product.
122 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty fair but not great.
thatsgottahurt-117 May 2021
I had high hopes for this as potentially a new beginning for the franchise. Unfortunately, poor writing and a lack of depth really let it down. The pacing was off and though Rock was ok, his lack of real acting chops showed. It's worth a look but don't expect anything special.
99 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most predictable movie you'll ever see
blupics2 June 2021
That's it. You will for sure know who the killer is within the first 10 minutes. You'll also be able to know every line that'll be used in the final "twist" (those classic endings for Saw movies).

Terrible acting from absolutely everyone in this movie. The deaths were okay, but did not seem deaths like you'd hope to see in a Saw movie (or "from its book").

Pass this one.
97 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spiraling out of Control
billybacktown14 May 2021
This movie legitimately could be the worst in the series, and this is coming from a Saw fan. What makes these movies great is trying to connect the puzzle pieces as to 'who's behind all of this?' You know you the killer is within the first 10 minutes of the movie.

Chris Rock is a let down also. Give him props for stepping out of his comfort zone but man it looks like he just came out of his first acting lesson class.

Save your money, it's awful.
86 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is the worst of SAW movies.
dozic671 June 2021
The tasks that the persons need to choose between is not close enough to the Jigsaw movies before this broken thing. Total breakdown. Too extreme and not good enough for the series.
64 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwhelming return to the cinema
mccutch2218 May 2021
I was so excited to see this. It was a tradition for me and my buddy back in the day to go to the theater every Halloween for the new Saw sequel. We just had a good time.

I had pretty high expectations for Spiral, but even as I was lowering them throughout the film I kept being disappointed. The traps just weren't impressive at all. I've heard a lot of people say the first one was amazing, and while it was filmed quite well, I didn't think it was great either. So many traps that were simpler from the first 4-5 movies had so much more of an impact. I'll skip over discussing a lot of the details of the film and just get to the ending, which had major Saw IV vibes, and left me feeling pretty empty. I'm not one of these people that claims to have seen the twist coming...I didn't, but it didn't make my jaw drop or fascinate me at all. The ending felt rushed and I don't know exactly what impact they were trying to have.

I'm giving it a 5/10 simply for the effort of bringing the series back. Rock does a decent job really. I just wish the creativity was there.
53 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was pumped for this. Predictable 30 minutes in.
jvschoffstall15 May 2021
I'll keep this relatively short: It's a good movie worth watching, but if you've seen five thriller/horrors in your life and pay attention to small things, it's entirely predictable 30 minutes in. The traps aren't that great despite what others say. It's a fine movie on its own, though, and probably worth watching. Just don't expect to be blown away like some of these other reviewers.
61 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't believe I'm rating a Saw related movie so low
SleepyMaya24 July 2021
As a huge fan of the Saw series, one who usually rates 10 even the not-so-great episodes in the series, I honestly can't believe I'm rating a spin-off of Saw so low, but this movie was such an offense to the word Saw in the title that I can't even rate it 2 out of 10.

This movie isn't really considered a part of the series, it's not about the same killer and barely relates to the original movies at all, at most this is a sad attempt for a spin-off that just happens on the same universe, but of course that isn't going to stop people from counting it as a Saw movie when they talk about the franchise.

Sadly, it is poorly written, the story is SO boring that I could barely keep myself focused in it and kept having to remind myself that I'm watching a movie (and not just any movie, but literally one related to my favorite horror franchise of all time). Story is about the cops themselves more than it is about the killer, it's very predictable, the traps and their stories are as minimal as it can get (even the worst trap in the worst out of the other movies, had more intelligence than all of the traps in this movie combined), literally they just threw in a few traps just for the sake of it and even the gore wasn't good. And the twist, which is supposed to be THE best part of every Saw movie, was so lame and prediactable and boring that you could barely even notice there was a twist there.

At the end of the day, what I hate most about this movie is that it's so shameful to the Saw title that it's going to ruin the reputation of the whole franchise because people will include it in it even though it doesn't belong, and it will be in my way every time I try to explain to new people why I think the Saw franchise is genius.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It wasn't that bad.
lildoghla18 June 2021
Many people are saying that this movie sucked, but all of em are forgetting that one important thing. This is not "Saw", this is "Spiral". Ye sure, u can't compare Spiral to saw, but u can think about it as a completely new movie.

Overall i think that it was a great saw movie, with some exiting twists.

Would like to see Spiral 2.
57 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just... wow
dragonluna-106-7662127 July 2021
Well that was disappointing. I gave it 4 because I liked the traps. Other than that... it was crap. It was completely nowhere. Ending was dumb. Acting was bad. Why bother...
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spiral is the way to go
PedroPires9019 May 2021
It's not a perfect film and I saw the plot twist coming from a large distance.

Saying that...I felt that this is the most consistent Saw sequel ever, with the best plot, and the best structure. The formula "traps-after-traps" was more than used and reused, so no point to keep doing the same. This is a very competent detective thriller, dark, with a surprisingly good Chris Rock, lots of gore and without being afraid of being a Saw movie. A different one, but definitely a Saw movie. This is the way to go!
117 out of 203 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a sequel
adams588118 May 2021
My only real criticism is that the movie felt rush, another 30 minutes would've helped. There's some subtext that people will either hate or love. Chris Rock gives you a couple routines early in the movie for add enjoyment if you like his standup.
90 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining but rushed ending
Chiggychiggy22 May 2021
Now I will say this, this is not a bad film, for most part I quite enjoyed seeing Chris rock as the more serious detective comparing too his more comedic roles in other films. Now if you enjoyed the first 2 saw films, then you'll appreciate the film a little bit more since it has more of a story element and as much as this has some interesting traps and still has a lot of blood and gore, it's not as over the top as the films from saw 3 onwards so it was nice too see it try too go back too it's old element of the first 2 films.

Now the main problem I had with this film was the ending, I won't spoil it for everyone but it did feel very rushed and as much as I was praying that the reveal would throw me off and trick me, it was so easy to predict who is the jigsaw copycat midway in the film and was hoping it would be completely different too what I predicted but it just felt rushed. Overall it was a good time watching this at the cinema, not perfect but way better then jigsaw that came out a few years back and feels like a homage to the first 2 saw films.
59 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
DavidHas23 June 2021
I honestly enjoyed the movie, i have no complaints on anything. Clearly isn't related to the saw franchise, its separate. Which was a smart move. Seemed a bit rushed or forced at times and thats the fault of the director. The traps and tricks through out were crazy but good. This movie makes me wish we saw a bit more movies like this.
24 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst actors ever
blixa_bargeld1 June 2021
Dont bother watching this. Worst actors ever.

I love the Saw movies. But this was just garbage.

Dont watch it, you can thank me later.
39 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.