The Forever Purge (2021) Poster

The Forever Problem
benwelbourne29 July 2021
The Forever Purge had potential to be an interesting addition in the purge universe but unfortunately fell flat with the disappointing plot and predicable jump scares. If this is the first Purge outing for you it won't be such a letdown, maybe wait until its on another platform instead of paying for a cinema ticket.
36 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The weakest of the franchise
necktienick2 July 2021
Poor writting, mediocre direction and pretty lackluster performances attached to a film thats messages have all the subtly of a sledgehammer to the face make for a very poorly handled mess with more contrivances, coincidences and plotholes than you can count on both your hands. Add on to the fact it takes itself way too seriously. Much of the actiom is shakey cam and cuts away before you see anything too violent. The worst of a dying franchise.
240 out of 374 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Worst purge of the series
jordan-sybil4 July 2021
I like the Purge series, but i think this one was the worst. I feel that this movie was just put together. There were too many holes in the story and the plot didn't flow. The action scenes were dull, and boring.
188 out of 302 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Bother.
wgtmcc8 July 2021
Left half way through. The script is so blatantly political and bias that it make the film unwatchable.
282 out of 469 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Movie I've Ever Seen in a Theater
editor-339-45457111 July 2021
Look, I'm a big fan of The Purge movies. I came into this installment with very low expectations. But wow, it was truly terrible in every way. Writing, acting, camera work... all bad. I literally got up and left the theater about an hour into it. Whoever wrote this ridiculous joke of a movie should be Purged...
213 out of 352 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What other reviewers don't see
declan-1286324 July 2021
By no means does is this the best in the franchise I'd rank it behind the first and anarchy.

People are talking about how political the film is but that's what this series is about.

For starters this film is unique in the series it strives away from the classic trope of purge night and makes it last over a few days.

It also is set in Texas with a Midwestern feel which honestly I welcomed it's a great setting for this film to occur.

The cinematography in this film is actually really good and doesn't feel as basic as other entries in the franchise All around it's worth a watch for just something different it's breathes new life into a franchise that was sadly dying by retreading the story each entry and it tries something different which I think is an excellent choice.
38 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Forever Purge
haydenluz5 July 2021
I didn't go into this film with high expectations, knowing the other four films to the series aren't the greatest, but The Forever Purge is a fat waste of time! The premise seemed to have promise coming in, but Everardo Gout straight up missed the mark, making the film way too political, rather than having political ties, and an interesting concept. The Forever Purge had cardboard cut outs for characters, cringey acting, a shallow script, with horrendously cheesy action sequences.
163 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GOOD LORD THIS MOVIE SUCKED
toddmichaelstarks2 July 2021
I wish I could write a better review, cause I fell asleep midway. Terrible. Even the action is boring. Absolutely no suspense. Didn't care for the western set up either. Oh well. If you're a true Purge fan, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Can't beat the first Purge. That's about it. If you need a good nap.. be my guest. Actually, you might like it if you're 12.
144 out of 246 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your money.
aquaticvibe3 July 2021
It's not that good.. best to wait until you can watch it for free if you feel you have to see it. Tasteless.
135 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hopefully the Purge movies don't go on forever.
The Forever Purge is the fifth film in the Purge film series. The movie is directed by Everardo Gout, this is only the first movie he has directed and before this he has only directed TV episodes of various TV series.

In the film, the US government has restarted the annual Purge program. For example, there is another night in the year when all crimes including murder are allowed. When the Purge night is over, a cult decides to break the rules and go ahead with the Purge. Juan (Tenoch Huerta) must now protect his own family and the family he works for from the criminals who are now breaking all the rules.

That this film was made by a novice director and the writer of all Purge films is reflected in the quality of the film. The Purge events seem a bit repetitive and exaggerated and are portrayed in a cheap way. For example, many deaths are filmed off-screen, so that you often do not get to see the end result.

By now playing the Purge events in daylight, the film does lose the tension that slasher films have by letting the killer commit his murders in the shadows of the night. This way you can also see the cheapness of the film earlier. Slasher fans may be annoyed by the cheap and unrealistic horror effects. Dolls were used for the dead bodies and the fake blood is thicker and darker than real blood. Furthermore, they only try to create tension with jump scares, but most of them are predictable and don't work like that.

Like the other Purge film, the film also has a political message. This time it's a lot about how hard it is for immigrants in a new homeland with a corrupt, racist society.

The film cast also consists more of actors who have played more TV roles or only minor movie roles. Most also play characters that aren't really developed in the film, making the viewer quickly forget their names and what they do. When a name is mentioned of a character who has disappeared or has been killed, you often do not know exactly which character it is.
95 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How Hollywood Views America, Probably.
kurtbozwell22 July 2021
If you're a raging liberal, you'll probably find this movie to be a powerful social commentary, and if you're a raging conservative, you'll probably find the subliminal messaging in this movie to be nauseating.

Personally, I seek to be entertained by the thoughtfulness and originality of movies, but this is the fifth try at the same premise and it's truly worn out. I wish I could Purge it from my memory. Gave it a two because the last hour or so is non-stop action, but that can't redeem an otherwise senseless film.
95 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
stevelivesey6714 December 2021
Awful stereotypes all round in this terrible umpteenth version of the Purge.

Come on people! If you keep going to see these movies, they will only continue to make more.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forever Trash
davidmeth6 July 2021
When I saw the poster on an social app I thought it was a joke... wow milk trash more pls... Jesus hollywood is dead rip.
124 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your time and money!
Movieboiii2 July 2021
Worst film of the franchise. Acting was very subpar and the storyline was also subpar. Even though this movie is about an annual American event, not everything in the movie needs to be political. Save your time and money on this.
143 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it
sarah-prendergast8619 July 2021
I love the purge films, Its something different and a unique idea.

Some people really getting so annoyed over the politics but the whole idea is that the current US Government came up with the idea so just but take it for what it is. It's a film, it's make believe.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it's the best purge so far.

I'm not American so maybe that makes a difference in how I perceive it.
60 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
0.5/5
npbgoigdhuh6 July 2021
The worst that either franchise has to offer; mindless, poorly conceptualized, and lacking the pivotal component that makes up for either: entertainment.
91 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame
Dogfarmtexan25 November 2021
Was praying for the credits to roll!

Eventually they did.

So I'll give them my only star for that.

White man bad, brown man good.

More killing and less politics next time please.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty watchable
gladys642 October 2021
All the reviews that say it's too political? They all are. That's the point. Will it will any Oscars? Of course not. Not every movie has to to be good. I enjoyed it. Got behind the characters. Cheered on the guy we all hated in the beginning. And it was good set in Texas. Scary in as much as this could actually happen in America.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hell yea more woke trash
edgarkaz15 July 2021
Lol just when you think they would learn, they don't and create this pile of stool. This movie is awful and preachy. I mean you already knew it would be.
87 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Purge movie
lildeanever21 July 2021
For me this was a good Purge movie, not best not worst. A lot of things don't make sense, but it's entertaining, so I am very happy to overlook.

For those that complain about politics: have you seen any of the other Purge movies? They always talk about the class divide or racism. They even made a trailer based on Trump's campaign. So what did you expect? Not to mention that there are white men that are good people in this, which seems to be why a certain....demographic is upset, so...chill, my dudes.
68 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You know what you are getting but it was well done
coombsstephen22 July 2021
I think you know going into a purge film what to expect but this film did it better than I expected it to.

There was plenty of the usual action but with plenty twists and turns and a perfect pace.

Well worth a watch if this is your sort of thing.
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining
billygoonerbays-7472717 July 2021
By no means the strongest purge movie but it sure does hold up well and is a good addition to the franchise. The cast did really well and I like the idea of people going against the idea of the purge only being one night a year as it adds suspension and makes you wonder if their will be another purge movie .
61 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Woke trash.
gvis3 December 2021
Out of all the Purge movies, I only liked the second one. And that says more about how awful the others were. The first was just a cliché slasher movie, the second was a step in the right direction (a dystopian action thriller) the third was just ok but the absurdities (a girl who can't afford a candy bar can afford golden AK's ?) and the way too biased political overtones ruined it for me. The fourth Purge (aka the first Purge) I couldn't even finish, let alone this one.

The movie starts with poor helpless Mexican crossing the US border, it already sets the tone for the rest of the time. Then we have this native American dude preaching all this love and tolerance crap to those 'dumb ignorant white masses' it was painful to watch. The moment I really lost it was when that old farmer (whatever his name was, I don't care) started blabbering about "the rich get richer at the expense of the poor since we stole the land from the Indians blablabla". If you want to preach to your audience at least come up with something more original than this.

Even if you look past the political nonsense it's still a half assed movie. I never cared about any of the characters or the story, there is barely anything exciting going on. The story just drags along with some occasional violent scene covered up with some pseudo-political message just to keep going.

I'm fine with political/social commentary in (horror) movies, but don't shove this kind of woke junk in my face. I can always watch the Karen movie for that.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crude Stereotyping
westsideschl27 October 2021
Nothing creative just crude excessive stereotyping & clichés on human behavior. Very simplistic political categorizing. (Must be the Trump influence.) Americans are more divisive than ever & the ones with the bigger guns are on the rampage. Predictable who lives, who dies. Humorously, Mexico is now the destination for freedom. The usual cheap artificial looking evenly spaced burning cars/trash along with nicely placed bodies on the streets to denote rampaging killers.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beating a Dead Horse
btoews18 December 2021
We get it already-White Man Bad. The whole premise would work better if the same message wasn't plastered all over Netflix, Amazon and HBO. I was surprised that the credits failed to mention Georgie Soros and Billy Gates as producers of this epic.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.