Stumptown (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

(2019– )

So far, so surprisingly good!
TheTopDawgCritic26 September 2019
Lately every new TV show has been bland, cliched, and done many times before. Stumptown is nothing revolutionary, but with the excellent cast - including a great lead performance from Smulders, plus some sharp comedy writing and awesome throwback cassette music, makes this show a light and fun one-hour watch. Between the intricately staged violence and Smulders' wonderfully wisecracking, knuckle-busting performance, the Stumptown pilot is an intense experience - so much so, that it's hard to believe the rest of the series can hold up to the same standard, but, I've already been surprised once, so let's hope the writers can do it again. Excellent directing and cinematography, perfect pacing, and a solid mix of action and comedy. It's an 8/10 for the pilot from me, will update again if needed as the series progresses.
86 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good start
nancyldraper26 September 2019
(Initial impression) This was the new show I was most interested in. Fortunately, the pilot was so much better than the promos. Codie Smulders is the draw and she fills out the role. The writing is full of wit and thrills. The supporting cast was a pleasant surprise. I'm going to enjoy this. I give this a 7.5 (good start) out of 10. {PI Drama}
43 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable, with Unlikeable Characters
betsysommerfeld26 November 2019
I had high hopes since I love Cobie Smulders. Her character, however, is hard to relate to, and fairly unlikeable, rude, abrasive, as well as not particularly intelligent. Despite her young special needs brother living with her, it's rare to see her without a beer in her hand, even during the day at home, and she is rude to almost everybody. I love a strong female character making it in a man's world, but she can be a likeable person.

The plot(s) are slow and fairly predictable, writing is not anything special.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth it for the soundtrack alone
fatelovesthefearless17 October 2019
I must say I didn't expect to like this show as much as I do. It's refreshing to see a show about someone who is damaged and self destructive yet cares a lot about other people.

The soundtrack is filled with 70s and 80s which I love. Dex drives a piece of crap car and listens to a mixtape which plays random songs that are paired perfectly with what's going on. She's tough, smart and stands up for the little guy, despite having her own issues she's a likeable character.

The supporting characters do a good job. And the back story behind her best friend should prove to be interesting.

All in all this show shows a lot of promise. Excited to see where it takes us.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No one can pump gas in Oregon
suzanneeberlese11 January 2020
You created a whole story where cop boy pumped gas and the went in to pay. Victim gets attacked. Would not happen. Cop boy would have sat in the car, someone would have pumped the gas and he would have paid. Fine to do some filming in LA but at least learn something about Portland.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ehhhhh
wivavog10 January 2020
Not as good as its cracked up to be , just like she isnt as funny an wiity as she thinks ......idk if her characters to complex or written to poorly. Could be a really solid show. But inconsistent.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Episode 1 hit like a car-jump over a bridge
mikeacuna-1766728 September 2019
I was glued to the screen by the heart-stopping slow-mo car-jump over a bridge while Neil Diamond sang Sweet Caroline in the background. It's a real boost to see Cobie Smulders in her own TV series. She has created her own brand ever since I first saw her in Avengers where she stood out among the other stars. This first episode presented a cast of characters each with their own unique strengths which contributed to the success & balance of the entire plot. The dialogue and acting was brilliant. I look forward to more of Cobie Smulders and the rest of this ensemble of great actors. Thank you to the producers for this.
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice start...
bairjohn26 September 2019
What I really like was that the women got her butt kicked, after a decent fight. There is a lot to absorb, but this could go either way. If they keep some sense of realism it might stay interesting, but if it goes all superwoman outside of the abilities they have already set for her then it will get old quick.

I will keep watching, I hope they do it right I like the plot.
30 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good dialogue bad everything else
fleck05-485-20898127 September 2019
The dialogue is fun and snappy, the acting is good, but that's about it. Let's start with the biggest problem, first... Girls taking on a classicly male protagonist role is fun, but ridiculous scenarios make suspension of disbelief impossible. When a woman fights two guys that outweigh her by 100 lbs or so, she will lose. One closed-fist punch by a large guy will crush her face. Men and women are different... writing a female protagonist solving problems the same way as a male would isn't progressive, it lacks imagination. She should be getting the upper hand by outsmarting the anagonists, not trying to match them punch-for-punch. She's not a 200 lbs protagonist with a 5 o'clock shadow... she's not even thick like a female mma fighter. She's a female lead with a small build fist-fighting her way out of her problem. I guess this is what passes for a strong female lead. I know it's not PC to point out how ridiculous this is, so nobody will say it out loud during the making of it, but having a female basically play a male protagonist will kill this show. As the ratings drop each week the makers of the show will be scratching their head wondering what's wrong? Then there's major problem number 2... This story doesn't feel natural, it feels like they started with a checklist... diverse cast, gambling problem, special needs kid, crazy Portland setting, PTSD from the military she dulls through sex, etc, etc... Once they had their PC checklist, they created a script around it. The story is predictable if you picture a male protagonist with multiple tours under his belt. The creators seem to think putting a female in the lead makes it harder to guess the direction of the story. It might if she was forced to take on the antagonists in a creative way instead of punching it out with the bad guys like every other male PI on TV.
101 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Check your common sense at the door - good fun
joeschmou6 October 2019
This show is not a documentary and allows you as a viewer to check your common sense at the door and just enjoy the ride. The characters are slowly being developed and hopefully soon we will all know more and get to buy into them. As it is now after the pilot, they are pretty generic.
18 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
T2TLED27 September 2019
Solid pilot. Interesting character angles and Cobie shines!
23 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cliche, followed by trope, followed by cliche
random-707782 October 2019
Really this show has one or two good moments, buts o many aspects of this show are terrible. Frankly if you have seen the trailer you have seen the only decent scene in the pilot

Firstly, the main character is supposed to be a combat veteran. She is supposed to have been in military intelligence but also have had combat experience (hence the PTSD trope). Yet everything the lead actress does says "no military service ever." The way she stands, her bearing, her firearm (mis)handling, and demonstrates (lack of) situational awareness is evident over and over. In fact she says "combat tour" in Afghanistan with service calculated to be about 2006 -- and women did not do combat tours in Afghanistan until 2013. All throughout the putative military experience is a bit insulting since the writer and actress clearly have no idea about it.

Secondly this is set in in Portland. for good or for bad, mostly for good, there is probably no city in the world where cops and private investigators are more constrained. She'd have lost her pistol carry licence the first day.

But mostly the problem is that even the first episode manages to cram every PI trope we have already seen in the worst of series TV. I felt like was watching every cliche possible crammed into a show.
41 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ONLY a 7.5? Come on.
Her-Excellency21 November 2019
HOW does this series have a rating of only 7.5?

Granted, I am only 3 episodes in, but so far it is smart, real, fast-paced, funny (hilarious at times), and just plain entertaining. Hell, the mixed tape alone deserves a 10.

I never watched much of How I Met Your Mother and do not think Cobie Smulders was given screen time enough within the Avengers franchise to develop an opinion one way or another about her, but I really like her in this. Plus, the rest of the cast is great, and the guest stars and cameos are fantastic.

I see a few people complaining that it is formulaic, yet IMO, it is anything but! Has the premise been 'done' before? Sure. What ISN'T a mix of everything that's been done before? (If you have the next 'original' concept, go sell it - fast!). When it comes right down to it, in regard to programming and shows, it is HOW it is done, and this is one series where it is done really well.

So far, for me, it is a solid 9.

Hopefully, within the next few episodes it doesn't take a turn into boring or bad. From what I've seen though, I doubt it will.
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very new idea.
mstv-126-62334828 September 2019
This is a somewhat revolutionary show and very entertaining. The main hero is Dex played by the Canadian actress. Dex is no saint. Indeed she drinks much and there is an insinuation of gambling addiction. She seems to suffer from PTSD. However, Dex is both physically and emotionally strong. She is independent and very confident. Most of all, she is fearless and bold. Frankly, I like her character. The story is entertaining. It is an old fashion Private Investigator show with a twist.
20 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth watching. Witty dialogue and good acting.
jon-1522927 September 2019
Worth watching. Witty dialogue and good acting. I enjoyed it. Looking forward to next week.
22 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yawn. It's so clichèd.
colinrogers127 September 2019
I've seen this done before and much better. It's just lazy writing . The action sequences are nicely staged. Smoulders has a dreadfully smug look constantly and is not funny. Just cannot warm to her acting style. The growling vocal fry she has going on irritating. Support cast do what they can but as she's exec producer of this as well it's no wonder she's given the meat of the sassy , clever lines. It's boring and predictable. She's not got natural comedy timing so some good punchlines are lost in her attempts. Not for me. It'll get lost in the midweek schedules.
55 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turning out to be a soap opera w/o good lighting.......
Franklie10 November 2019
Enjoyed the first couple of episodes which focused on detection and the fantastic classic rock soundtrack, but now it's just whininess and sex. Super boring. We need humor and interesting scenery and the focus on anything but sex lives and "poor me". Give us some positivity people!! And characters w character.

Oh, have also appreciated when the vocabulary has gone clever rather than crude. That aspect is also going downhill. See your words people. Some of them are just "ew".

One of us gave up after episode 5, the other after episode 6. Hopefully it gets revamped into something inspiriting because the premise is great.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for Under Rock Dwellers
MissCzarChasm25 November 2019
I love seeing reviews by tiny misogynistic men who get their panties in wads over the color of leads in TV shows, or by fact that women in real life actually fill roles far from making them their baby bottles. I mean really, grow up already. Progress will never stop. In the history of the world, progress wins, 100% of the time. Period. The mewling you hear from those relegated to crying about "PC BS" and how Disney and all of Hollywood hurts their feelings, is just the death throes of regressives withering away.

Stumptown is action-packed, Cobie is amazing in it, and it entertains.
20 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor writing, completely unrealistic
jonkubic27 September 2019
I'm a car guy so the first thing I noticed before the first mediocre show were the constant promos that showed her Fox body Mustang GT. She proudly proclaims " there's 2 more in the trunk". This car doesn't have a trunk so no one would be trapped in the back. And the Dukes of Hazzard jump in this car doesn't play in 2019. The stunt car was definitely totalled from that jump and every viewer knew it. But in the pilot it's fine. These are indicative of the show's lack of concern for accuracy. And it continues throughout. Poor story construction, stereotypical characters. I had really hoped for more. If this is the network's best new show they are really hurting.
54 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
down hill
oatsart547 November 2019
I thought I was really going to like this but you just couldn't help your selves and made her a lesbian too.Is there no end to the political BS. Nice try you should have stuck with the characters as they were now it is just another gay promotional show like all the rest.Really thought it would have been better. After watching episode 8 I am done with this show now she betrays her friend and lover all in the name of promoting gay rights just couldn't let it alone tv has become a joke the focus is not on the plot or idea but pushing gay rights leave your political BS at the door when it comes a good show
32 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice fun first episode. Entertaining.
Elewis119527 September 2019
I'm not sure where the show will go from here and it is a one woman show, make no mistake. There's no 2nd character that stands out even a little, though the intimidating casino boss isn't bad.

Colby is likably damaged. It's a character type we've seen a thousand times before, but she carries it well. An army vet with flashbacks, single, we don't know her age but we can assume older 30s, and the love of her life married someone else. She's tough, rough around the edges, broke and cool. It's enough to carry the show, at least for one episode.

Did she take out 2 guys in a fight? Well, yes, but after a car crash where she was in the back seat and better positioned for the landing - the soft seats infront of her, the hard dashboard infront of them and those 2 guys had taken her down earlier in the episode, so it wasn't a huge reach. She also took the bigger one down with a kick to the you know whats, and she picked up a gun during the fight . . . so lets be real. She's tough but she's not superwoman.

The show has a fun, fast paced devil may care approach and for at least one episode, it worked. In the long run, I think the show will need some personal tension and character development story lines and they may fall into some traps about "she's a gambling addict or other, been there done that approaches, but until that happens, it felt fresh and fun. I'm not sure the casino boss is enough to provide weekly tension, but she was the best at providing it in episode one and I don't see much coming from the cops who's basically just a nice guy at this point. I also found the love making scene pointless and irrelvent. OK, she's easy or she's lonely and she won't commit, but none of that added anything to the story. I'd have preferred a kiss at the end when he reminded her about parking tickets over sex in the middle, but nobody's hired me to write these things.

All in all, 1 episode in, nice start, fun show and I'll keep watching. Beats that Whisky Cavalier spy nonsense.
20 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Paused for now
bshanley-6146129 September 2019
My shields went up about six minutes in. I hope to go back, but who knows. She's just way too cool to be believed. Sidenote...why not stop the car instead of accelerating when you have a seatbelt wrapped around your neck?
36 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great series so far
jtags-8405931 October 2019
Up to the 5th episode and I have to say I am enjoying this series immensely. Smulders is doing a great job as the lead and is well supported by a cast of characters that hold this show together nicely. Well written stories with flawed but very likable characters in this unconventional PI series. Very entertaining and I would definitely recommend this.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oogy
zachrodriguezz27 September 2019
So far so good let's see what happens. Now I am writing so I can post this comment so this show actually has a chance. There are to many good shows out there that are getting canceled:(
18 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's with her pink lipstick?
deck-6916611 December 2019
I really, really wanted to like this show because of cobie smulders, but it's getting worse and worse. I understand her PTSD and appreciate what she went through, but she kicked around 10 years before getting halfway serious about her life? It also angres me off that she has to be bi and have the gay guy be the "good" guy politician in episode 7. Very disappointing. I don't know why I expect or hope for something better on network TV anymore. At this point, I don't even know if I'll watch episode 8! Too bad. Get everyone on the show a better color lipstick than pink too, it's too gay!!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.