Big Gold Brick (2022) Poster

Ok...
gab-6759926 February 2022
So this movie had one very important thing going for it, and that was the interesting characters. Each one had their own unique story that you wanted to find out what happened to each of them. This fact carried me all the way to the end. Now, did the story make sense, hell no. In fact the story was outrageous and far-fetched. The movie went of tracks around the grocery store scene and never really got back on. Seeing Fox in lingerie was the high point of this movie. Enjoyable, but way too long. I will be honest in saying, IF you decided to skip this one you will not be missing out on much.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trying to be Vonnegut but failing
supermellowcali7 March 2022
Dumb story imo, with poorly read and unnecessary narration, dialog unnatural and pretentious... overall I'd skip this. It just bored me. Andy Garcia was great but played opposite Emory Cohen in an awful Sam Kinneson wig, and acting is definitely not Emory's thing. Oscar Isaac's silly role wasn't interesting or funny.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy ???
Ckn4827 February 2022
About the only funny thing in this movie is the 2nd wife playing Mrs. Robinson Theres a tiny hint of mystical powers that goes no where.

There are scenes that seem real but oddball and scenes of pure mental fantasy.

Andy Garcia, As usual is very watchable but...

The Plot is far fetched The sound is ok The Photography is ok The Acting is as the plot

Try as they might, nothing is capable of carrying the plot or making it interesting.

I wouldn't recommend it 👎
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is it?
battlebuckships26 February 2022
Love the actors, Andy G I'm a big fan of. Megan I'm not sure, can she even act? This whole film deserves 10 Rotten Tomatoes. Just a poorly written script going no where. Doesn't even make any sense. Not to me anyway... Waste of time....
34 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
incoherent, rambling and senseless, but awesome
spasticfreakshow28 February 2022
This is not Memento-level stuff, nor Wes Anderson, nor Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but if you have the appetite for nonlinear nonsensical weird stories, then I would agree with other viewers that the cast itself makes the strongest case for viewing this, and they do the characters justice - the character studies are wonderful and there's an Addams Family/chosen family vibe that at times strikes me as awkward/relatable and like maybe there is a family for everybody out there, somewhere. This writer is obviously inspired by greatness and not QUITE there yet, but...possibly en route.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Users who rated this 9 or 10 only reviewed this one movie each
StevePunchard6 March 2022
Co-incidence? I think not. They were either paid to write something glowing about a movie that's a write off or they worked on it and are trying to bolster their CVs. Do these people have any consciences?

I'm not going to bother watching it based on credible reviews. Too bad Roger Ebert (Glenn Kenny) had to suffer through it before assigning it a rating of 1.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie that crams way too much in for its own good
axlerod8822 March 2022
What could go wrong with such a high quality cast & production that is so well connected? Well I had to see for myself. The performances were good considering what they were given to work with. A script that tries to cram too much flash & expose for its own good.

The plot like a Seinfeld episode has Floyd, played by Andy Garcia, accidentally hits Samuel (Emory Cohen) with his car. Unbeknownst to him, Samuel is very troubled individual. Feeling guilty, Floyd invites Samuel to stay with his family & to be his autobiographer.

I feel that this film tried too hard to be too many things. The script & direction needed more focus. I thought things would improve when Samuel moved in with Floyd's family. It had a Royal Tennebaum's vibe but the laughs were few & far between. Meagan Fox stole every scene that she was in but she was under utilized. The pacing was off & the movie as a whole suffered for this.

Disturbed Samuel thought that he was moving into home life that he never had. But little did he know that the family had their own quirks & issues. This should have led to more laughs but the first half of the movie moved at a glacial pace & the quirkiness that we hoped for never materialized.

That when the payoff comes at the end, it was just too rushed & everything too nicely tied up. Aside from the good performances & high production values, I can't honestly recommend this.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big Trash Brick
juwedy25 February 2022
After all the great movies Oscar Isaac played in this past year, it's a shock to see him in a movie as bad as this one. The movie clearly just doesn't know what it wants to be. It's a collage of a bunch of nothing. Don't waste your time watching. Check out other Oscar Isaac movies from last year instead.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Flop
leseditlakula28 February 2022
The movie trailer and poster is interesting, but the movie itself is really boring. I could compare it to when you hear a part of a song on Tiktok and you you like it, but then when you play the full song, you end up hating it. The movie is very long, it felt like an eternity to watch it until the end. I don't know what the director tried doing here, but it's a flop.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
Sir_watch_alot2 March 2022
You never know what to expect. Which direction it will go. I doesn't fit the profile of any catagory. And that's what's great. The unpredictability.

Liked it a lot.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great screenplay - quirky and witty
filmmadman12 July 2022
I enjoyed the writing. It was a fun story and quirky (in the way that most people don't like). But I like it when I can't guess what's going to happen next and after seeing as many movies as I have, I usually guess the next line of dialogue or scene even in really good films.

So it was quite refreshing to ride along in this wacky idea of a story. And I enjoyed the cast especially Andy Garcia (who usually plays it safe in a lot of popular films with easy plots and like-able stock characters).

It was produced well but I feel that if Paul Thomas Anderson, Spike Jones, the Coen Brothers or even Danny Boyle had this script then it may have been more well received. And they would have served the story better, creatively.

BTW: 10 star reviews are for people that can't find no major faults but also would watch it over and over again. There are many films like that. But to give a 1 star review, like a few for this film, when a film has cast professional actors and crew is an insult to their hard work/ talent and irresponsible writing. Anything professionally shot and acted deserves 4 stars (out of 10) at minimum.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yeah, it was not worth wasting 132 minutes on...
paul_haakonsen5 May 2022
Now, it was somewhat difficult for me to initially believe that the 2022 movie "Big Gold Brick" from writer and director Brian Petsos would be worthy of such a low rating as it had received here on IMDb, especially with the somewhat rather impressive cast ensemble that starred in the movie.

However, I had never heard about "Big Gold Brick" prior to sitting down to watching it, so I wasn't sure what I was in for here. But I opted to give the movie a chance and watch it, believing that it couldn't possibly be all that much of a waste of time.

But yeah, the low rating that "Big Gold Brick" has received here on IMDb is well-placed. This movie was a swing and a miss in every aspect. The storyline was just a completely unappealing and uninteresting heap of boredom. And the slow pacing of the narrative just didn't help win me over in the slightest. So sitting through "Big Gold Brick" is quite an arduous task.

Still, I am impressed with the names that they managed to lure into participating in the creation of this rubbish movie. The movie was starring the likes of Andy Garcia, Oscar Isaac and Megan Fox. How and why they opted to be a part of "Big Gold Brick" simply is beyond my comprehension.

There was very little, if none at all actually, appeal in "Big Gold Brick" for me, so this is not a movie that I would recommend you waste your time, money or effort on. Nor is it a movie that I will ever return to watch a second time. Some of us suffered through Brian Petsos's 2022 movie so you don't have to.

I am going to add to the dwindling rating that "Big Gold Brick" has accumulated, and will rate it a generous three out of ten stars, and that is mostly just because of the names on the cast list. Sure, the movie had a good production value as well, but without an interesting storyline it just meant almost nothing. And running at 132 minutes, the movie desperately needed a more round-handed trim in the editing room.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brian Petsos' notable directorial debut, particularly for fans of the Wes Anderson stylee
danieljfarthing20 March 2022
When Andy Garcia's car strikes Emory Cohen in off-beat dramedy "Big Gold Brick" the flamboyant former takes the down-on-his-luck latter into his home (with skank wife Megan Fox, pretty daughter Lucy Hale & weird son Leonidas Castrounis) to recover (and write his biography)... while they learn each other's hidden depths. 1st time director / 2nd time writer Brian Petsos applies a similar stylised flair & colourfully quirky minor characters as would Wes Anderson (whose fans should love it btw) which is distinctive but also pushes Cohen's performance too over the top (and that of Oscar Isaacs (in cameo)). So it's certainly not perfect, but IS a notable directorial debut.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very confusing movie, it is about nothing and full of dryness
momomojojo17 March 2022
Like how they mxing up the elegancy with the dryness humour 70's background element (especially the music) especially with 80's vibe with current dialogues Such a waste on the lame special effects.... could easily be done better. Understand maybe they want to bond it with the dryness and therefore lameness into the movie.

The acting of the villain man is just great and how they set up his character and props is good.

Like the story it is so disturbing but also so genius.

Pity the acting is just average even like B movie quality.

Sound is strange hard to judge it all... The special effect is maybe not great but it did a good combination with the whole movie.

Pity so much potential, love much of it but because there is about nothing i do not know what i should do.
the worst movie
nepidtube25 February 2022
Big Gold Brick recounts the story of fledgling writer Samuel Liston and his experiences with Floyd Deveraux, the enigmatic, middle-aged father of two who enlists Samuel to write his biography. But the circumstances that lead up to this arrangement in the first place are quite astonishing-and efforts to write the biography are quickly stymied by ensuing chaos in this darkly comedic, genre-bending film. Don't recommend. Don't waste your time.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surreal, bonkers and occasionally laugh out loud funny
ianscottlewis1 March 2022
Big Gold Brick is not a perfect movie but it's pretty bloody good. Anyone expecting a mainstream comedy will find that this really doesn't fit that bill. It's bizarre and surreal and chucks the laws of physics out the window. Being John Malkovich it definitely isn't but there are occasional parallels in terms of tone and strangeness.

It misses the mark sometimes, Lucy Hale is criminally under-utilised, the lead isn't always great (Garcia however is) but there are enough hilarious moments and the bizarre plot is interesting enough to earn this a perhaps slightly generous 7/10.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big nothing
madmaxboy25 February 2022
Maybe worst movie witr megan fox, even her bad acting cant save comedy thats gone rogue, no script, no story,..movie is big boring mess.

Megan fox got old too, movie come out of nowhere..and nowhere it will go lol.
7 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Instant classic!
sashessquire27 February 2022
Despite some harsh reviews I went to see this movie. I don't believe in god but I'll thank him/her/it anyway for this film. I can't wait to watch it again. Perhaps the world isn't ready for a story like Big Gold Brick, but look at the world we live in. Andy Garcia is excellent as is Emory Cohen. I think this film will age well.
12 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really don't know what I watched.........
owenpont-708032 August 2022
This film is definitely the weirdest film of the year. Sadly it was far to weird for me to enjoy. The entire plot almost immediately goes off its head. The acting from pretty much everyone is awful. Especially the main character, I honestly don't know what the director was thinking making this film. The only thing that keeps this film afloat for a 2/10 instead of a 1/10 is the original idea and Oscar Isaac's performance. I found the performance to be quite funny. I also liked his outfit. Overall its a very weird film that is pretty much entirely unwatchable in one sitting.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally...
hollywoodsux-410621 March 2022
Something different from Hollywood! This movie is punk rock as hell. Reading other peoples reviews has me thinking they were expecting Captain America to show up at some point. F*#% that! I shouldn't be surprised because all the best art is usually misunderstood or rejected by the masses at first.
6 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7/10 or 8/10
slazinger27 February 2022
Had to post a review seeing as how this movie only has a 3/10 rating. (Maybe not 10/10 but 7/10 or 8/10, just trying to increase the rating).

Some reviews mention this movie is nonsense, lacks structure or an ending, I don't think those were its goals. This film dips into the absurd and the main character embodies a self-contradiction between rationality and irrationality, as exemplified through the back-and-forth between the main protagonist's 'sensical' retellings and the 'absurdity' of the events themselves.

I don't think movies should only depict cold-blooded causality and structure and I'm glad that movies still trying to bend modern cinema's thirst for pragmatism are produced, thereby offering a witty or thoughtful take to motion pictures.

Also the soundtrack and sound design was very good.

The movie somewhat reminded me of the recent Under the Silver Lake (2018), not big-budget blockbusters but moody and introspective films, though this one is more narrative and action driven and the other more character focused.
10 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
kidemaynehs5 March 2022
I gotta be honest here, i wanted to watch it only for the Megan scene. But my god did it deliver outside of it! Its very misunderstood. Dont trust the ratings. Go watch it.
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Film as ART!
JasonP10328 February 2022
Beautiful cinematography, exquisite sound and music coupled with an original story that leaves you thinking. Just when I thought Hollywood no longer had room for true artists Big Gold Brick appears from a writer/director I've never heard of, and restores some of my faith in the industry. Bravo. Oh, and it's insanely funny. Perhaps just insane but either way it works.
6 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Trippy Eccentric Movie!
darylkulak17 July 2022
Here is a great example why I don't trust review scores here. Great movie! Totally different than the standard tired Hollywood formula. Way beyond. And yet, a rating in the 3's? C'mon, that's nuts.

The actors turn in good performances and the story hangs together. Loopy imagined and real life scenes throughout. Not even as weird as David Lynch's stuff. A writer does a biography for a strange seemingly legendary man, then puts a self-aggrandizing spin on it later when he is doing his book tour.

We loved it. Don't be turned off by the low score, for this one or any other.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
dan_forest25 April 2022
Perhaps it was my mood, but this movie entertained me from start to finish, with it's quirky characters, great soundtrack and superb acting. If you enjoy atypical movies that are creative and funny, I don't know how you can go wrong watching this one.