Badland (2019) Poster

(I) (2019)

OBVIOUSLY PAYING FOR FAKE REVIEWS/RATINGS!!!
ToBeloved5 November 2019
Cause this movie is TERRIBLE and poor quality to say the least. Hilarious how it was at a 5.1 rating and going down, and all the sudden it gets hundreds more ratingso and skyrockets. Utter garbage like this DOES NOT get a 6.7 rating. Period.

It's also hilarious how many of these "reviewers " have either A. Only reviewed this film and no other, or, B. Just started writing reviews.

So don't fall for all these reviews praising it, and everything about it. They're obviously either the director, one of the main actors, someone getting paid to write them, or someone who's been kidnapped and has a gun to their head. Cause ITS GARBAGE!!;
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 Swallows don't make a Summer!
CavemanDeuce3 December 2019
They say 2 swallows (Birds) don't make a summer. The same applies to this intended western. A couple of "stars" don't make a Western. I clicked through this film just to get to the end and cross this title off my bucket list of "failed attempt to make a Western relevant" in this modern age of green screens and age generation software. When a particular actor "Stars" in 11 titles in one year, one must start to realize he is only there to give the film some credibility. Ditto for James Russo. As for Mira Sorvino, the fact that her Star Meter is tracking down speaks volumes of her current projects and future potential. I f you have half a brain cell and don't really understand the craft and just want to waste time, this is the movie for you.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confederate War Criminals
nogodnomasters26 November 2019
Mathias William Breecher (Kevin Makely) is a fast drawing Pinkerton agent hunting down Confederate war criminals out west. This is something I question if it actually happened. They were typically brought to a tribunal and ended up acquitted or in jail. The film is divided into chapters with each one being a new victim. Tony Todd is in the film in a useless role. There is a scene early on involving a Native American bounty hunter who took way too many pauses when he talked, making William Shatner sound fluid. There is a climax high noon gunfight that was overly cliche as was much of the film.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst western movie I ever seen
mohamedmac9 November 2019
I saw the worst copy of the hateful 8, couldn't complete it.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Be still, young man
ferguson-61 November 2019
Greetings again from the darkness. Westerns are always a risky proposition for a filmmaker, but some are drawn to the genre and seem to thrive on the intricacies that fans have come to expect. Justin Lee is one such filmmaker. He wrote and directed this film and follows the familiar tropes: a quiet, proud protagonist; the strong, lonely woman; the corrupt gunslinger - maybe wearing a badge, maybe not; and of course, the battle of good versus evil.

Kevin Makely stars as Matthias Breecher, a Civil War veteran and now Pinkerton detective carrying out the orders of Senator Benjamin Burke (Tony Todd, CANDY MAN, 1992). Senator Burke has pledged to track down war criminals and hold them accountable by administering justice. Breecher is the Senator's hired hand who travels from town to town, serving warrants and dealing with those who refuse to abide

Mr. Lee's film is divided into four chapters. Chapter 1, "The General", finds Breecher face-to-face with tough-talking General Corbin Dandridge (Trace Adkins). It's here where Breecher first flashes his impressive gun skills, and it's soon after where he crosses paths with Harlow (recent honorary Oscar recipient Wes Studi), a competitor in the "bounty-hunter" game. Chapter 2, "The Cooke's" has Breecher tracking down Reginald Cooke (played for all it's worth by a finger-wagging Bruce Dern), a sickly old man dying slowly from pneumonia and living with his daughter Sarah (Oscar winner Mira Sorvino). Local bad guy Fred Quaid (James Russo) is trying to seize the Cooke's land (apparently this is the possessive apostrophe in the chapter title). During this segment we get a nasty fist fight, an ugly shootout, and Breecher falling for Sarah and actually shushing his horse. Chapter 3, "The Sheriff", brings us to the terrifically named town of "Knife's Edge" where equally terrifically named evil guy Huxley Wainwright (Jeff Fahey) wears a badge and rules the town with a reign of terror, and with Old West waterboarding. There is even a double-tap grave side shootout. It's an old mining town and the citizens live in fear - especially the good-hearted barkeep Alice (Amanda Wyss). The segment ends with a 'high noon' duel in the dusty street.

Chapter 4, "Breecher", acts as a finale for our hero, a man we are told was "born to violence." His dreams of owning land may have faded, and soul-searching has him reckoning with the man he's become. Mr. Makely reminds of actor Anson Mount in his ability to hold a scene, and we can't help but think that in his younger years, Mr. Fahey could have easily played the Breecher role. Despite the out-of-place linguistic stylings, director Lee proves the lessons of the old west never get old, and it leaves us with the message ... 'Be still, young man."
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awfull
toelawlor2 December 2019
Rubbish. I love westerns and rewatch the good ones again and again. I love the old ones especially, like The Searchers or Rio Bravo or How the West was Won etc. Most westerns with Gary Cooper or Henry Fonda or John Wayne or Randolph Scott and of course Clint. I am sure I am missing some however this movie does not come close to the Westerns these guys made. As for the top ratings, as someone said, Paid For reviews, must be.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Review Need
rowpotdroid3 December 2019
No Review Need to understand that this movie sucks. You couldn't possible write anything that would spoil this movie they already managed that on there own.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A total miss
ancasl20033 December 2019
This movie was not what I expected. It was one of the worst westerns I've seen to be honest. I guess one can praise the effort but the whole thing was a miss. The acting wasn't good, the writing wasn't good...I am quite surprised of it's high rating.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Western genre (in 2019), is still fit and going strong.
RatedVforVinny29 November 2019
This one has gained some rather unkind and unfair reviews. I'm a western fanatic and am also very critical when reviewing movies. I really enjoyed this film and with superstars like Wes Studi and Bruce Dern what could possibly go that wrong? The movie is skilfully divided up into 4 chapters and each one builds and gets stronger. I really liked the cast and the script and was pretty much rooted to the screen. Ignore the negativity and haters and give it a go.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic Western
mccarthycore5 November 2019
If you're a fan of classic westerns this movie is for you.
5 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great western film!
sean-004385 November 2019
This movie was a blast to watch! The acting was fanatic and it had a great story line!
4 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie, and I'm not even a western fan
uxdesignerchristi4 November 2019
The main character is the epitome of the Clint Eastwood handsome badass cowboy and it's impossible not to root for this guy - driven by his code of honor and ultimately his desire for love and a home of his own. Very satisfying fist fights and shootouts, great love story behind it all. Really gorgeous movie, beautifully shot. Surprisingly good date night movie, as both of you will enjoy it.
3 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Badland
cobe_btc11 November 2019
We saw Badland at the Canton,MI Emagine theater. It was a very good western. We enjoyed meeting Kevin's in-laws that we're also in the movie. We actually went home and watched "Any Bullet will Do", another good Kevin Makely movie. Keep acting Kevin.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent western movie
vinniemac-5711219 November 2019
Cant understand why there are one star ratings for this movie, it was really good. Good story, great actors and plenty of bad ass gunfighting. Take no notice of the nay sayer, they obviously no nothing. If you like westerns watch it and enjoy.
2 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's actually an ok tv-movie.
davidsmejladress24 November 2019
I was expecting a sucky western movie and it started like one. But the acting was quite ok to be honest so I kept watching. The music score seems out of place and exaggerated throughout the movie. The pace is slow but it didn't bother me as I thought it would. The movie is more lika a tv-movie with the budget it comes with. Mira Sorvinos face job is noticeable and some other things. I liked it enough to watch it to the end. It is what it is and doesn't try to be something else.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Badland
tedwatkins-050795 November 2019
Awesome!! Watched this with my family tonight - if you like gun slinging badassery with a star studded cast, this'll do just fine.
2 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.