What If...? (TV Series 2021– ) Poster

(2021– )

Cool series with interesting twists n tales.
ThomDerd21 September 2021
This is fun. I am enjoying every story.

Not all episodes are as good but overall it's worth it.

(The doctor strange episode for example was exceptional).

If you are a Marvel fan, you will probably like it, for these -and many more- following reasons:

1-Happy to hear all the voices from the MCU actors. Makes the starting titles interesting; you d wanna see who's in it.

2-The stories are captivating. There's some comedy, action, drama; a good range.

3-There's some great one-liners. New ones and also memorable ones.

4-The pace of each of the episodes is excellent. It really gets you into the story.

5-It does great tribute to MCU's pivotal points.

Give it a go, you will enjoy it.

8/10.
82 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doctor Strange Episode...Wow
imperialwalkrnyr2 September 2021
Really enjoying this series & the risks they've taken so far.
114 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel, please take your cue from the original series!
KevinHartsRedheadedStepSon14 September 2021
I really, really, really want to like this series! In fact, I want to love it! I love concepts that explore alternate realities and the like.

In the original "what if...?" Series that Marvel published back in the day, you would see things like:

• "what if Spiderman had joined the fantastic four?"
  • " what is the avengers defeated everybody?"
  • "what if The alien costume had possessed Spiderman?"
  • "what if the Hulk had Bruce Banner's brain?"

And on and on it goes. The thing is that these stories were great because they tied directly back to Marvel's original continuity and sometimes ended better, but usually ended more tragically with a twinge of irony.

The only episode I've seen in the series that reflects that vibe so far is the Dr. Strange one. I think it resonates better than all the rest simply because it's based on a choice that we can believe would happen in Stange's continuity. And of course, the results are mind-blowing.

I don't get that same feeling from "T'challa becomes Starlord," because...well, because...or the entire MCU are zombies for no explicable reason. Or that Peggy could've saved Steve best by putting him in a machine that would accelerate his healing. Duh... the Avengers not forming episode was oh-Kay.

What could have made this a powerful series would've been if it had explored real events and choices in the MCU like:

• "what if Clint had succeeded in sacrificing himself for the Soul Stone instead of Natasha?"
Or
  • "What if Steve had said "no" to the super soldier project?"
Or
  • "What if Starlord had kept his cool and not punched Thanos in the face as they tried to remove the gauntlet?"
Or "What if T'Challa still kept Wakanda hidden from the world after BP?" Or
  • "what if Tony hadn't made ultron (and thereby there'd been no Vision)?"

See? Way more related to what we know and waaaay more interesting.

Oh well, maybe a writer at the Big D will read this and one of these could end up in season 2?
77 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great scenarios, but varies between episode
briancham199410 October 2021
Now that the first season is over, I can confidently say that this series has exceeded my expectations. It uses witty scripts and detailed animation to bring the fans the service they've been wanting and more. Each episode is quite varied so there are many different scenarios and you never know how it will turn out or which characters will show up. The series wastes no time explaining any of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and just gets to the point of the scenarios, and also starts to merge the scenarios without warning. This is for the fans, not casual viewers! However, the variety of episodes also means that the quality and tone also vary quite drastically. The short runtime means that many events and battles are cut short. There was a good amount of care to make everything canon and consistent, but there are still some shortcomings and the power/ability of each character seemed to be contrived based on the needs of the plot.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it...Want More
Swooping_Owl1 September 2021
Now that I have seen all the episodes, I am still rating this 10 out of 10. I love the animation and different multiverse timeline stories. How it all came together in the end was brilliant. I will absolutely watch this numerous times. I really hope we get more seasons. Dr. Strange's episode was my favorite but I appreciate each episode for their brilliance, underlining meanings and symbolism.
131 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing animation, absolutely awful writing
On_The_Mark22 September 2021
Six episodes in, I have yet to be entertained by one. The concepts are awful. They're not interesting unless you're a die hard fan boy of Marvel comics. For the rest of us very casual fans, give us something. I've been bored on all six episodes I've seen so far and the seventh is what if Thor was an only child. So what?

These are not engaging premises at all. Again, I assume the fanboys are eating it up simply because it's Marvel but I'm bored still and don't want to be, I want to like this show. I LOVE the animation and the voice actors.

Give me something.
40 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty terrible
GazWatson5 September 2021
I love the What if... comic, but this is terrible, and it just gets worse episode by episode. Maybe it's because they're trying to squeeze the stories into a single episode? Though, the writing is pretty terrible, the stories don't even make sense so far.
53 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Not Interesting
pk123328 September 2021
The concept was great, but the storylines they select are not interesting. Please tell me who on earth was wondering "What If T'Challa were Star Lord?" Or "What If Hank Pym Assassinated the Avengers?"

Give us something like "What If Star-Lord never punched Thanos?" Or "What If Odin hadn't died?"

The only good episodes were Killmonger and Ultron.
30 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rated the first one with 6stars, increasing 1 star after each episode
rghvvikas11 August 2021
A very straight forward episode of rushing things to set those pieces right into the puzzle. And my facial expressions were also pretty straight watching this episode as there was no thrill or even a logical storytelling, I understand it's an aminated show targetted at children maybe? But only those children who are familiar with all the MCU till now might perhaps be able to enjoy it.

Let's see how the rest of the episodes turn out but I am certainly not very excited about them after this one.

Edit : 2nd episode gave the actual feel of what MCU is about, it was creative and thoughtful with major WHAT IF moments. I thoroughly enjoyed watching T'challa back on screen.

However the 3rd episode was deal breaker and made me edit this review. It was so thrilling and exciting to watch, I could have watched a whole movie on this episode. It re explored the characters we know to a level that leaves u wanting for more.

I hope I get to a 10 star edit by the end of the season.

Edit II : Here goes my one more star for a 'strange' yet thought provoking episode which was by far the best among all in terms of writing, voice over, animation and storyline. Special mention for Benedict Cumberbatch for nailing the voice over like a boss. Take a bow Marvel for making this one.

However, coming to 5th episode, the episode was entertaining for sure, it was humorous and engaging with quality animation but again showed too much simultaneously not giving viewers enough time to absorb things.

Still a 9/10 overall for the series until next two episodes atleast. They gotta beat the episode 4 to get a 10 from me.
156 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Llifeless
dariopadilla24 August 2021
Lifeless is the first word that comes to my mind, i had high expectations for this series, but the animation style leaves a lot to be desired as well as the character development.

It's slow (literally slow... even the animation is slow), it tries hard to be funny and in the end you just end up watching it waiting for something really good to happen but it is essentially a lifeless production.

It is sad to see how content with so much potential is wasted.
43 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sloppy, lacks direction
QMan9515 August 2021
Personally, not a fan of the animation at all. The action scenes were greatly executed but the script and voice acting were not good. The show feels like it is unsure who the target audience should be here. Content-wise it appears to be aimed for slight older audiences, but the writing and animation appear to be aimed at children. The Disney influence it WAY TOO noticeable on this one. Hoping future episodes are better.
51 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is HOTTT Garbage
gfroewiss12 September 2021
I think the HEADLINE sums it up. This show is another swing....and a miss for Marvel. Like why make this show and tarnish all the great stuff Marvel has done up till now!!
59 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost potential
moncifalouani10 September 2021
The concept is great but the application lacks finesse. The only thing going for this show is the animation. Otherwise, each episode has its own story but they are poorly paced and the intrigues just seem out of place with very bad writing. Everything just feels rushed which hurts the quality of the product as a whole. One episode stood out though, that's episode 4 which was pretty well written.
32 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
8 Episodes in and I hate it more & more
rnlietz4 October 2021
I only watch this series because my husband wants to know what storyline they come up with and we both agree the writing is TERRIBLE!!! I love Marvel movies but I hate the animated series more than I have hated just about any other show I've made myself finish.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
robin-l-bateman7 September 2021
This is the worst Marvel branded thing I've watched. It's like Disney is making its own fan-fiction now. Feel like it is nothing but another poor attempt to bring in even more Marvel $$.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The series is nothing more than a random filler to the multiverse
AKH091729 August 2021
Pointless, Random and Boring. Each episode is standalone with no reference or ties to the previous episode.
68 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People need to review the entire show instead of only 1 episode
spidermonkeycoleman27 August 2021
IMDB really needs to work on their audience review system. All the bad reviews are only for 1 episode and not the entire series. You can't judge an entire show on its first epiosde.

While Ep 1 wasn't great, the rest are a huge improvement. Intriguing stories and, surprisingly, the humor lands more than you'd think. Decent voice acting and it really helps that most of characters are voiced by their live-action actors.

Overall, don't trust 90% of the bad reviews because they are only rating the first or second episode. Instead, trust the reviews judging the entire series.
44 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is so bad. I can hardly stay awake while watching it. MCU Phase 4 is sub-par quality to Phases 1-3. The MCU needs to bring in its better known characters like the X-Men and Fantastic Four rather than Z-list unknowns and woke/feminist social commentary. I gave it 1 star bc it is the lowest possible rating, but it should be a 0/10.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What If... Marvel Forgot What Good Storytelling Was?
arielofnarnia13 October 2021
Well, wonder no more. Plots were all over the place (holes you could drive a water truck through), characterization was often (but not always) a miss (choices that don't make sense no matter what alternate universe we're in), and character arcs were lacking (all but a couple stunk). And let's not forget the two heroes who forgot what it was to be a hero, lost all will to go on, and chose... suicide. Not a good message to put forward.

In short: shoddy storytelling and disservice to characters. Only episodes three and four are saving season one from a lower rating.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is grim
moiramcdonald-4540618 August 2021
What a waste of time and money. Graphics are awful and the story is just a waste of space. I struggled to stay awake, and eventually gave up. I'm not interested in whether this show thinks it can redeem itself, I doubt it can. If ever I saw money making opportunity in action, this is it. Disney needs to stop cashing in, they made the film's, leave it at that. Time to develop stories, not rehash old ones!
44 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rushed and poorly written.
get-richard23 September 2021
Characters feel lifeless and the episodes in general feel rushed. The concept for the show is great but they failed to deliver in my opinion. Most of it feels like fan service throwing as many recognisable faces from they can.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Wanted to Like It But Didn't At All
ManicMovieMan4 October 2021
What if...? Groot was a sentient hotdog?! What if the Ravagers were hired by Ego to bring his son to him but by some unbelievably ridiculous reason they kidnapped T'Cheerio who isn't even remotely his son?! What if, Captain America is now a butch lady known as Captain England or, err, Captain Great Britain, or Jimmy Carter?! What if Captain Marvel was a man?! Oh, wait, he actually was in the original comics until Marvel gender-hijacked the character. What if all Marvel characters were...dun, dun, dun! Zombies! That's a very fresh angle, I have to say. What if Gamora was Luke Skywalker?! Wait, I think I'm mixing up recent crappy Disney properties, sorry.

What if, after Avengers: Endgame, which ironically had the worst end result of any Marvel movie and they started churning out the most pathetic Marvel superhero movies ever?! That one actually did happen. And it's very apparent and lackluster to watch with each new movie and TV show release. Most especially the latter such as this worthless junk I believe. I stayed through all nine episodes and each one just disappointed me more and more. If there is a second season I am definitely going to pass it up..

Marvel lost its talent and started focusing only on ideological stories and the junk they've mostly been pumping out lately shows this fact I think perfectly.

The only small hopes I have are for the next Doctor Strange film and the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Yet, I know, I just know they will find a way to ruin everything that was great about the previous films in these two properties. I hope I'm wrong, though, most especially for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, as I adored the first two films. And I thought the first Doctor Strange film was pretty darn rad and the plot for the new movie sounds quite interesting in my opinion. Something about the multi-verse, which to me, opens up all sorts of rad ideas and possibilities for the sequel I'm hoping.

Still, on that I wouldn't be surprised if they turned Doctor Strange into a woman and in the new Guardians film they'll kill off Peter Quill, turn Groot into a pile of leaves and re-brand Gamora as, Star Goddess and she will be the new leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy. It feels all but inevitable that they will ruin both of these sequels with the way Disney and Marvel have been destroying classic characters, such as the upcoming destruction of Thor sequel where they turn Jane into Thor. Seriously?! Who would ever find that believable and interesting within the premise of this comic universe. I can bet you a million bucks that whatever comic book issue that this ridiculous plot came from, that it sold poorly no doubt. I really enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok. But this upcoming sequel will be just awful I have no doubt in my mind.

Lately, with but maybe a few IPs, it looks to me like Disney/Marvel is done putting out good, classic and entertaining films. Again, I'd love to be wrong but I don't have much faith in these organizations that put their ideological needs before quality and a good time for the fans and audiences. But, as evidenced with pretty much everything since and including Avengers Endgame, this sadly doesn't seem to be the case anymore and the glorious days of entertaining Marvel properties seems to have come crashing down to a sad and disappointing end.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Entertaining to Watch
Jay112343 September 2021
This show would be entertaining to watch if they had episodes like, what if Hugh Jackman's Wolverine was a member of the MCU Avengers, or what if the avengers did not perform their time heist, or what if the character deaths when the snap took place were reversed, e.g., Doctor Strange, Spider-man, lived but Captain America and Ironman didn't.
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You could have done better.
thorhermannsson23 September 2021
The voiceacting is horrible as well as the writing.

I get that the animation is a choice but you could have kept the art as it is and added some better animations to expressions. You got the money to spare.

This series does not deserve the rating it has.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Be patient!
daniriam1 September 2021
Can't believe people would rate so low based on one episode. I've seen four of them so far & it's just getting better and better. Be patient!
64 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.