Cinderella (2021) Poster

(I) (2021)

1,958 Reviews
I tried to like it...
wawewi6 September 2021
Tried and failed miserably. In my teenage daughter's words: "this movie is cringy!"
557 out of 681 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie ever. Cannot believe someone produced this
Lavender167 September 2021
Literally so many things wrong with this movie it would take an essay.

Cannot rate it lower.
498 out of 626 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Cinderella remake you didn't ask for.
hrherika-358013 September 2021
This was by far the worst version of Cinderella I have ever viewed. I have a masters in Musical theatre and usually love this genre, but found myself fast forwarding through almost every musical number- they were that horrible. Camila Cabello may be passable on a pop number but cannot hold her own in a musical. I wish I could find something good to say. It was completely dreadful. Take a pass if you can!
436 out of 586 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugh
T2TLED6 September 2021
No. Just no. I don't even know where to begin. Everything I want to say comes back to WHY?
263 out of 356 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not in Cinderella's name!
jbrewer-229074 September 2021
This would normally be my perfect type of movie but wow, it was awful! I think I read another review of someone saying "if they hadn't of known the story of Cinderella, they wouldn't have followed this" and they are right!

Note to Producers- If you want to change the plot and push a different message... name the film something else!!!

A great cast line up (even if a very random mix) subjected to being in a bad TV movie that looked and felt so fake and staged.

A 2 hour film that half of it was bulked out by a selection of mostly rubbish pop music that the writer clearly thought the lyrics enhanced the story.... it didn't. Therefore, 1 hour to fill with actual script. No character depth or development and I honestly did not care if they got together or not! There was absolutely zero chemistry. I didn't care about any of the characters by the end!

The princes idiotic behaviour at the beginning was so out of place it made it unbelievable that Cinderella would even like him!

I wouldn't even bore my kids to get them to watch this.
224 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've seen these movies
superterp036 September 2021
Moulin Rouge, Ella Enchanted and Glee rolled into one, punched together with dance moves. Though not done well.
194 out of 269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I mean, I'm not paying for a cinema ticket for this
xyzddpmk6 September 2021
Wow. What a waste of costume designing, set design, costume manufacturers, writing, talented actors...I could go on. I really tried to love it.

I know it's supposed to be a different version but it was truly unnecessary. Sad times.
219 out of 310 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
crowjs-143105 September 2021
This has to be the worst version yet it was so bad .
201 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Cinderella movie ever !!!
artistcrazy4 September 2021
This movie sucks!!! Bad acting , unoriginal songs and just weird movie!!!
183 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why? Why? Why? Horrible Acting? What is this?
pedrojulioh-196-4178704 September 2021
So painful to watch. Bad story, obviously written by a sensitive millennial. Zero chemical between the main characters. Bad music, bad dance, ridiculous. Sony, you should let Disney handled these kind of movies keep doing your super hero movies.
185 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An abomination of a version of Cinderella
phillius-867784 September 2021
Who ever signed off on this should be fed to the pigs!!!

The end 😂
148 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No amount of glitter will help here sadly.
Sleepin_Dragon16 October 2021
It tries so hard to be politically correct and equal, that it forgets the meaning of the story.

Some of the worst acting I have ever seen in my life, at times I thought I was watching a spoof, this really does need to be seen to be believed.

The people behind this movie wanted to make some sort of statement, that is obvious, but to literally tear up the sweet story of Cinderella, that's just not on, couldn't you have called it something else? What next? I shudder to think.

I wanted to like it, but come on this was just cringe worthy.

A disaster, 2/10.
63 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely awful movie!
cakemixed9237 September 2021
This movie is so cringeworthy. Absolutely everything about it was awful, except for the mice. Anyone connected to this movie must be embarrassed. How did this even get made?
122 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply put.....BAD
johnedwardperry4 September 2021
Where to start? Just swipe left or right BUT DO NOT PUSH PLAY. This movie is like food that you didn't expect to be so bad and can't get the taste of it out of your mouth.
166 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If cringe were a movie
mmphotos-925003 September 2021
This would be fun and well done if they didn't break into ill-fitting songs every thirty seconds. Trying way too hard to be Hamilton and Ella Enchanted simultaneously.
116 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ella Disenchanted
questl-1859211 September 2021
I feel bad for the children of this generation if this is the Cinderella they have to grow up with. Once upon a time, Disney nailed this with a wonderfully animated masterpiece full of whimsy and magic. Now we get this mashed up, sloppy mess to slog through. The songs all feel forced and out of place, like the person in charge of song selection just picked out a bunch of songs they liked and then threw them all over the timeline of this film whether they make any sense or not. We get like three rise up/empowerment songs in the first 20 minutes, a love song about 30 seconds after Cinder and the Prince meet and a few too many reprises.

But hey, it's a musical, so the music has to at least be good ri- NOPE! 99% of the songs feel so off because it's painfully obvious they weren't sung anywhere near the moment but rather were recorded in a studio and then later layered on top of all the lip synchs. I get that doing songs during shoots could be tough but they could've at least tried a little to make it sound better and more accurate. Got Cinderella running and jumping all over the place while singing and her tone never changes in the slightest and you can feel that.

The characters are classics, pre-written for the movie with years of history and background to pull from. They still mess it up. Motivations are sloppy and muddled. Character growth happens in fits and spurts rather than feeling like there's any sort of progression. The prince goes from a perma-bachelor bro to in love with Cinder in no time at all for something completely stupid (that would've gotten her imprisoned as well). Cinderella rarely feels like the downtrodden, put upon sister we all know her to be. Instead she's got a couple of mildly annoying step-sisters but don't worry! Rather than dealing with them she'll spend her time in this surprisingly large and fairly stylish basement/dress making area. There's only one or two times she really seems all that put upon and they feel so shocking that, once again, it draws me out of the film.

The only redeeming factors, to me, were the mice, Idina Menzel and the fairy "godmother." The mice added a nice little splash of comedy but were hit and miss at times. Idina Menzel brought he spectacular pipes to show and she belts out some stunning notes throughout this that really showed off the difference between pop star and stage star. Then we have Billie Porter as the Fabulous Godmother. While I don't love the character, I really appreciate how Porter was just going for it. It was clear he was having fun in the role and that's what this really needed.

Cinderella is a mess. It's tone deaf, confused about it's message, poorly written, poorly paced and as much as I can appreciate anachronisms in film when done right, these are not. The random influx of modern terminology and jokes feels so out of place in this setting and when coupled with the clash of empowering and degrading women it just doesn't work. Even the big finale was telegraphed to the point that as soon as we meet a certain character I looked at the friend I was watching it with and we both immediately called the ending of this. This is not worth watching the actual movie for. If anything, wait a little bit until the scenes are all available on youtube and just look up Menzel and Porter's moments. The rest of this is just a waste of a classic property.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is far more than one pumpkin in this film.
CinemaSerf16 September 2021
I tried, I really did! I hoped that the fairly decent, experienced, ensemble cast coupled with state of the art visual effects and a collection of modern-day pop lyrics would breathe new life into this timeless story. Well, sadly, that was all just a triumph for optimism over, well, just about anything... It's terrible. Good looking, well produced, but terrible. Am I the only person left alive who is fed up being shouted at by Edina Menzel? Pierce Brosnan demonstrated in "Mamma Mia" (2008) that he is happy to play parts with his tongue in his cheek, but here I fear he must have cringed when he saw; likewise Minnie Driver and a whole host of British comedians led by the ubiquitously un-talented James Corden. Billy Porter tries a different take on the fairy godmother character but features all to sparingly to make much impact on an otherwise extremely pedestrian interpretation that reached it's nadir with the cute but totally wooden pairing of Nicholas Galitzine (Freddie Mercury would spin in his grave) and Camila Cabello. Sorry, maybe if I were 6 years old and had nothing to compare this with, I'd not be so harsh - but I'm not and this is poor, really poor...
36 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They tried to hard
Gordon-1125 September 2021
This is a modern reimagining is Cinderella, with more than a touch of diversity and politically correctness. I think the modern update is a bit too much, and they try too hard to make it relevant to the modern day. The end result is a film that doesn't appeal to anyone.
45 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted Time
bpcsecretary4 September 2021
Uh, just being positive - the mice were entertaining.
192 out of 301 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really disappointing...
claireejones6 September 2021
The songs were just terrible... I was so surprised as I was banking on that part being good as I had a feeling the acting would be bad, but nope, both absolutely terrible.. I wouldn't waste your time watching it.
137 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocking film
njqdmvp6 September 2021
Literally the worst film I've ever seen. Horrible dubbing and terrible acting. The lack of an original soundtrack and awful remixes made it sound like a parody film. Lacked lustre in every aspect. Wouldn't recommend.
84 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible!!!
pbstarman4 September 2021
This is hands down the worst remake and worst musical ever made. Costumes are costumes. Terrible acting. The script is atrocious. The attempt to "modernize" a classic story is horrific. This movie is beyond stupid!!!
98 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringerella: One of the Worst - Easy
Tweetienator9 September 2021
I rated Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella (starring Lily James, 2015) a 6 - it is entertaining and solid, but this new Cinderella makes Branagh's version look like a masterpiece. I don't talk about casting choices or changes to characters and the like but the execution of the whole affair - the tone is all wrong, the humor feels forced and generic, the whole thing feels like something made up in one day and than filmed in one or two days + post production by the special effects guys. But one thing they got right: the producers achieved to put almost every imaginable modern cliche in this movie. And last but not least, the songs are, well, lets be tender, mucho improvable. Why Pierce Brosnan got involved into this mess (the Mamma Mia movies are Oscar material compared), I don't understand. One of the worst Cinderellas I ever witnessed.

Last note: sometimes I suspect, the producers believe their own fake reviews ;)
48 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugmm
jscallan5 September 2021
I mean what else did you want me to stay? It's bad, it has no redeeming qualities, and it makes women feel bad.
98 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No chemistry at all!
katrialorainne4 September 2021
As much as I like Camilla as an artist, I don't find this version of Cinderella fun to watch. There's no chemistry between Camilla and Nicholas. The script sound so cringey apart from the cover songs they did. I also don't get why James Corden was cast in this movie, he is not funny at all. Another Cats movie for him I guess.
119 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.