Cinderella (2021) Poster

(I) (2021)

2,199 Reviews
No amount of glitter will help here sadly.
Sleepin_Dragon16 October 2021
It tries so hard to be politically correct and equal, that it forgets the meaning of the story.

Some of the worst acting I have ever seen in my life, at times I thought I was watching a spoof, this really does need to be seen to be believed.

The people behind this movie wanted to make some sort of statement, that is obvious, but to literally tear up the sweet story of Cinderella, that's just not on, couldn't you have called it something else? What next? I shudder to think.

I wanted to like it, but come on this was just cringe worthy.

A disaster, 2/10.
145 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugh
T2TLED6 September 2021
No. Just no. I don't even know where to begin. Everything I want to say comes back to WHY?
316 out of 421 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ella Disenchanted
questl-1859211 September 2021
I feel bad for the children of this generation if this is the Cinderella they have to grow up with. Once upon a time, Disney nailed this with a wonderfully animated masterpiece full of whimsy and magic. Now we get this mashed up, sloppy mess to slog through. The songs all feel forced and out of place, like the person in charge of song selection just picked out a bunch of songs they liked and then threw them all over the timeline of this film whether they make any sense or not. We get like three rise up/empowerment songs in the first 20 minutes, a love song about 30 seconds after Cinder and the Prince meet and a few too many reprises.

But hey, it's a musical, so the music has to at least be good ri- NOPE! 99% of the songs feel so off because it's painfully obvious they weren't sung anywhere near the moment but rather were recorded in a studio and then later layered on top of all the lip synchs. I get that doing songs during shoots could be tough but they could've at least tried a little to make it sound better and more accurate. Got Cinderella running and jumping all over the place while singing and her tone never changes in the slightest and you can feel that.

The characters are classics, pre-written for the movie with years of history and background to pull from. They still mess it up. Motivations are sloppy and muddled. Character growth happens in fits and spurts rather than feeling like there's any sort of progression. The prince goes from a perma-bachelor bro to in love with Cinder in no time at all for something completely stupid (that would've gotten her imprisoned as well). Cinderella rarely feels like the downtrodden, put upon sister we all know her to be. Instead she's got a couple of mildly annoying step-sisters but don't worry! Rather than dealing with them she'll spend her time in this surprisingly large and fairly stylish basement/dress making area. There's only one or two times she really seems all that put upon and they feel so shocking that, once again, it draws me out of the film.

The only redeeming factors, to me, were the mice, Idina Menzel and the fairy "godmother." The mice added a nice little splash of comedy but were hit and miss at times. Idina Menzel brought he spectacular pipes to show and she belts out some stunning notes throughout this that really showed off the difference between pop star and stage star. Then we have Billie Porter as the Fabulous Godmother. While I don't love the character, I really appreciate how Porter was just going for it. It was clear he was having fun in the role and that's what this really needed.

Cinderella is a mess. It's tone deaf, confused about it's message, poorly written, poorly paced and as much as I can appreciate anachronisms in film when done right, these are not. The random influx of modern terminology and jokes feels so out of place in this setting and when coupled with the clash of empowering and degrading women it just doesn't work. Even the big finale was telegraphed to the point that as soon as we meet a certain character I looked at the friend I was watching it with and we both immediately called the ending of this. This is not worth watching the actual movie for. If anything, wait a little bit until the scenes are all available on youtube and just look up Menzel and Porter's moments. The rest of this is just a waste of a classic property.
74 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is everything I hate about modern day
mochteam19 September 2021
People will dislike this movie for an array of reasons.

I dislike the film because I'm simply tired of bad movies like this chop,cut,and pasted to suit whatever social topics are trending today.

The icing on the cake though are the terrible songs and autotuned robotic singing from Camilla Cabello just to remind you that talent isn't required to be famous.

This movie will rightfully take it's place among other cinematic failures such as that live action DBZ film from years ago.
45 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie ever. Cannot believe someone produced this
Lavender167 September 2021
Literally so many things wrong with this movie it would take an essay.

Cannot rate it lower.
543 out of 678 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They tried to hard
Gordon-1125 September 2021
This is a modern reimagining is Cinderella, with more than a touch of diversity and politically correctness. I think the modern update is a bit too much, and they try too hard to make it relevant to the modern day. The end result is a film that doesn't appeal to anyone.
75 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Cinderella remake you didn't ask for.
hrherika-358013 September 2021
This was by far the worst version of Cinderella I have ever viewed. I have a masters in Musical theatre and usually love this genre, but found myself fast forwarding through almost every musical number- they were that horrible. Camila Cabello may be passable on a pop number but cannot hold her own in a musical. I wish I could find something good to say. It was completely dreadful. Take a pass if you can!
478 out of 635 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely awful movie!
cakemixed9237 September 2021
This movie is so cringeworthy. Absolutely everything about it was awful, except for the mice. Anyone connected to this movie must be embarrassed. How did this even get made?
151 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad
yusufpiskin3 September 2021
I had to watch it because I have an 11 year old niece. What is your excuse?
138 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Cinderella movie ever !!!
artistcrazy4 September 2021
This movie sucks!!! Bad acting , unoriginal songs and just weird movie!!!
211 out of 293 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, but not Cinderella
digitalbeachbum4 September 2021
I was really looking forward to this, but what a disappointment

So, if you are going to do Cinderella you have to stick with the basic game plan. You have a girl who is abused after father dies and the step mother takes over, and the two step sisters are mean also.

The ball comes along and Cinderella gets to go because the fairy godmother uses magic to send her in a beautiful gown and in a pumpkin carriage. There is the glass slippers, and the wedding at the end.

You can change stuff to a certain extent but when you cross over those boundaries then it stops being Cinderella. This movie takes too many liberties and too much creative license with the story. For example:

Cinderella has a step mother that isn't cruel, she's just missed out on her dream as a pianist and it's all because of a male world. (bs)

Cinderella doesn't want to marry the prince. Instead she want's to make dresses, and has an opportunity to travel the world with a Queen from another country. (bs)

The mice who are turned in to footmen joke about having to take a pee out of their "front tail". (totally not needed)

There is no pumpkin, just a crate which turns in to a carriage and two horses. (meh)

The fairy godmother isn't a godmother. (this is ok, but don't call him a fairy godmother).

The prince doesn't want to be king and wants to travel the world with Cinderella, not married, but as love interests. (meh)

Instead the Princess wants to be King, is corrected by the mother that she would be Queen. (meh)

There are other changes which I did not like, but most of all I thought the movie missed the mark. It was sort of like 'Ella Enchanted and they even had the same Queen songs. It had a good cast, but I blame the director and the writer (all the same persons) for the mistakes.

This is not Cinderella. Don't call it as such.
153 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gagging on the excess of saccharine here
theoriginalantiblonde30 September 2021
...and I didn't even last four minutes. I liked the promo, and was interested to see what they'd done with this classic. Unfortunately, I couldn't even make it through the intro with the "music" and "singing" -- and I use those terms very loosely here, cos I'm still gagging hours later over the extreme sappiness of what I had to listen to in the first four minutes -- it might have been less, but my pain was so real, it felt like an eternity. I don't know who Camila is, and after listening to what looked and sounded like really bad lip synching from the so called lead actress in just the intro, it's highly unlikely I'll ever want to know. Could that intro have been more saccharine? Yeegawds, I need a shot of insulin from the sheer memory of it. This thing made music from Barbie's dollhouse party sound hard core. I'd report any parent I knew that let their kids watch this for child endangerment. What a waste of resources!
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5th time reviewing this Awesome movie.
Everymoviegetsa109 November 2021
🤥.

This movie was trash. It features a BANJOE. I'm not sure why. The acting was horrid.

Effects and light alone can't save a hash movie like this. Producers should have fed the movie to a dog.

The original author must be vex to the max for this has hashella. .
65 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringerella: One of the Worst - Easy
Tweetienator9 September 2021
I rated Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella (starring Lily James, 2015) a 6 - it is entertaining and solid, but this new Cinderella makes Branagh's version look like a masterpiece. I don't talk about casting choices or changes to characters and the like but the execution of the whole affair - the tone is all wrong, the humor feels forced and generic, the whole thing feels like something made up in one day and than filmed in one or two days + post production by the special effects guys. But one thing they got right: the producers achieved to put almost every imaginable modern cliche in this movie. And last but not least, the songs are, well, lets be tender, mucho improvable. Why Pierce Brosnan got involved into this mess (the Mamma Mia movies are Oscar material compared), I don't understand. One of the worst Cinderellas I ever witnessed.

Last note: sometimes I suspect, the producers believe their own fake reviews ;)
77 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible!!!
pbstarman4 September 2021
This is hands down the worst remake and worst musical ever made. Costumes are costumes. Terrible acting. The script is atrocious. The attempt to "modernize" a classic story is horrific. This movie is beyond stupid!!!
115 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not recommended
Leofwine_draca4 September 2021
Another revamp of the classic fairy tale, this time given a modern multi-ethnic HAMILTON type vibe. Pure fantasy throughout with a medieval backdrop with modernist elements at times. The whole thing is about the superficiality of appearance with the emphasis on fancy clothing and casting attractive performers in the lead roles, but of course on the other side of that you get extremely shallow characters and stilted acting. Cinderella has been given a feminist spin in that she's now a successful fashion designer in her own right, but they also prolong feminine stereotypes by doing that. How about making her a master builder? James Corden continues to be the kiss of death for everything he appears in, and the only interesting songs are covers. Not a recommended film.
96 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No. Please
imdb_girl905 December 2021
I had my prime subscription and hence watched.

Don't know what your excuse is.

Spare yourself if you haven't started watching it already.

I got a headache.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An abomination of a version of Cinderella
phillius-867784 September 2021
Who ever signed off on this should be fed to the pigs!!!

The end 😂
158 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An uninspired mess
patrickfilbeck20 September 2021
This is maybe around the 60th movie/tv-series/cartoon based on the cinderella tale, not sure right now, and maybe it's also the worse...about that i'm more sure about. Too modern in a very forced way, too much disco/club style cinematography and colors, trashy costumes and poor acting. Not worth a watch.
29 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I tried to like it...
wawewi6 September 2021
Tried and failed miserably. In my teenage daughter's words: "this movie is cringy!"
566 out of 690 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why was this made?
tonymars-630874 September 2021
Why release this on the world?

The money wasted on this disaster could have gone to help actual people in need, maybe film and make a movie out of that. Instead of making terrible actors richer and us more miserable. Do better movie makers.
276 out of 462 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why are we still retreading this same story?
guasco-29 September 2021
This story has been done to death and has been done dozens of times more superior than this film. See the original and skip this one.

Also James Corden makes everything worse.
74 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I mean, I'm not paying for a cinema ticket for this
xyzddpmk6 September 2021
Wow. What a waste of costume designing, set design, costume manufacturers, writing, talented actors...I could go on. I really tried to love it.

I know it's supposed to be a different version but it was truly unnecessary. Sad times.
222 out of 314 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Socio-political nonsense
Snootz5 September 2021
Because of the talent of the actors I really wanted to like this. However, the closer this got to the end, the more it became evident this movie teaches children modernist, feminist, socio-political me-ism and downgrades marriage as a valid institution. "Why put a label on it?" I'll tell you why: because love warrants a firm foundation, not a sloppy "until I get tired of you" attitude.

I understand they were trying to update the fairy-tale story of Cinderella... but they took that concept too far. I have no problem with the Hispanic Cinderella; the main actress could not have been cuter. The supporting actors were enjoyable in their parts. Until they hit the last half hour or so, I found it enjoyable. Then it just turned stupid.

Flash to the writers and directors: You can get married and still accomplish your life's goals. If someone is going to be selfish and pursue their dreams in exclusion to everything else, let them do so alone. Love isn't about selfishness and self-fulfillment; it's about forming a partnership. There's your socio-political statement, but with some common-sense added to it.

Currently this movie has a rating of 4, and deserves it. It sends the wrong message to children, twists the original story to the point of being unrecognizable (a WOODEN CRATE instead of a pumpkin? Are they serious? What blockhead came up with that concept? Surely they could have come up with something funnier and more interesting).

I did enjoy a lot of the music, but the movie had some of the worst choreography we've seen in some time. If the "morals" of this story is what the modern world is about... maybe humanity is due for a major wake-up call. I would not take a child of any age to see this movie. These aren't the kind of morality and ethics I'd wish to teach children... and it's not the director's privilege to try to mold children's minds. One does get tired of having someone's personal agendas shoved down our throats through "children's movies".
51 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring...
Thanos_Alfie21 September 2021
"Cinderella" is a Comedy - Family movie in which we watch the classic story of Cinderella but in a modern musical way. Cinderella has her own big dreams that she wants to succeed but her godmother has different plans for her.

I have to admit that I did not have high expectations from this movie so, I was not disappointed by it. The plot was mostly the same as in all the previous "Cinderella" movies that exist while the direction which was made by Kay Cannon failed to create something different or even new except the modern songs that already existed. The interpretations of Camila Cabello who played as Cinderella, Nicholas Galitzine who played as Prince Robert, Pierce Brosnan who played as King Rowan and Minnie Driver who played as Queen Beatrice were below average and did not succeed on making the difference and save this movie. All in all, I have to say that "Cinderella" is a below average comedy musical and I do not recommend anyone to watch it because I do not want you to waste your time as I did.
35 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.