Thunder Force (2021) Poster

(2021)

Ewwwwwwwwwww
James-MN29 April 2021
Embarrassing and boring

An annoying movie after watching this movie you just feel tired like you just wolfed down 3 Big Macs. During the whole movie you only want to know when this movie is going to end.
109 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Funny
lokeyoce11 May 2021
For 2 reasons:

1- The film is not funny. Aren't spoofs meant to make you laugh?

2- This one definitely will be seen in history as the breaking point. You know superhero movies have become overdone and passe when there is this, old people superheros, kid superheroes, monkey superheroes and the list goes on. It is a crescendo of cliches and heralds the end of the genre.
62 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They are going to lose us all... forever...
jospeh-T1 June 2021
The Oscars have gone the way of the dodo bird, Netflix is going to go soon too especially if they keep farting trash like this and next is the entire movie business.

A comedy has to be gunny, a movie has to be engaging and interesting and for heaven's sake stop normalizing obesity. This is a medically recognized health issue. Did you hear of underlying conditions during the pandemic??
16 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SHOCK!! HORROR!!! GASP!!!
jotajeme9 May 2021
Who knew?

Fat cartoonish 'superheroines' are unwanted and unfunny.

As for the crab: can you say Saturday morning toddler cartoon?

American filmmaking RIP.
53 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop green lighting every single thing by Falcone/McCarthy
sareed19719 April 2021
While Melissa McCarthy can be funny (I enjoyed The Heat and Spy), it's obvious no matter the studio, everything McCarthy and her husband, Ben Falcone, offer up is immediately greenlit. That has to stop. This is the umpeeth unfunny movie by the married duo.

After the first 30 minutes, I simply had the movie on in the background, but could still hear McCarthy's ad-libs which were excruciatingly awful.

If this is the best an immensely talented actress like Octavia Spencer has to pick from, that's a sad commentary on the state of comedic films. Let's hope she got a big, upfront payday.
578 out of 730 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Booooooriiiiiing!
jasammarijo2 May 2021
If you really, really want to see this movie, just watch the trailer. It's all there. I've made it to an half an hour mark and couldn't watch anymore. Not a single laugh!!! No humor, stupid plot, no humor, draging, no freaking humor! Trailer is just missleading, you are not getting all that fun and humor throughout this movie...
55 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Embarrassing
fugavemu6 May 2021
It's set to 'high cringe and recoil'

It is so embarrassing to think people from around the world will watch this and think of all us are this fat or that this is what America thinks comedy is.

It normalizes bad lifestyles and body types, as well films that are not funny being called "comedy." And no the crab was not funny either. I have seen it done much better in toddler cartoons.
61 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
its a 3 and that's only because Jason Bateman plays the crab.
ThomDerd11 April 2021
Again, Netflix what's up with you? What is this silly, sleepy superhero movie that you produced? Wouldn't it be better spending money in something meaningful or at least entertaining? Luckily the cast is not all bad and Jason Bateman steels the show playing the crab...! His parts are very funny. So I m not entirely upset that I have spent time watching this. But looking back to it, yes I can conclude to the fact that it's one of the most unnecessary films I have ever watched. 2,7/10 just for these small moments, which were funny.
64 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
America land of opportunities
james-hak4 May 2021
I am pretty sure the leading actresses were Burger King employees and now they get to star in their own movie! Long live the united States Of America.

Unfortunately, the film was neither funny nor interesting.

Back to the burger joint it is.
63 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PHAT
hames-jamsa26 May 2021
This is what has come of America: Phat movies. Zero funny lines or situations and yet we are supposed to laugh at them.

Well, we certainly are not laughing with them.

Ana analogy is America is the land of SUVs. Phat SUVs and thunder thighs need those to be taken here, there, everywhere.

For the rest of the world and the last discerning Americans here: buy imports.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Meat For Your Dollar
henry-kim-vp30 May 2021
That's right!! Welcome to America!!! Anything can receive funding. You do not need to be interesting, attractive or funny.

Gross would do.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Netflix flick fail...
rdamian196313 May 2021
Here is another Netflix movie that just fails. It's a movie with a good cast but has bland acting and a horrible script. At time it's humorous but for the most part, the comedy is forced and cliche. I'm not sure how Netflix can make decent series but its movies are usually flops.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I turned off the tv and went to sleep , it's better than watching this boring pointless movie
jujunabeel2 May 2021
Boring, I couldn't continue watching it.

Dont wast ur time.
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Funny Because...
janesarkasian24 May 2021
... there were no funny lines or scenes

... I feel sorry for Melissa McCarthy and Lizzo because if they chose to do this that means this is the best (only?) script that was offered to them. They read this and decided to participate!!

...that is not dancing... that is cringe attempt at dancing (like Ellen thinking she can dance and moving around awkwardly and stiffly around her couch).

....empowering fatness makes America's health outcomes remain below average..
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor
dth-784999 May 2021
This could have been a good funny film but it was let down buy a terrible script and strange editing. The other issue is that many of the cultural references are so US focused that anyone outside that country would fail to get the humour...ergo a failure.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite possibly the worst movie I've seen in the past 5 years
dean-901-5791063 May 2021
This film has almost no redeeming qualities. In particular the "humour" is forced, juvenile, and universally falls flat. Epic fail.
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mindless Movie
michellepitiris9 April 2021
I watched this thinking Melissa, Octavia and Jason wouldn't betray me with some crappy, predictable comedy. I was wrong. I mean, it's not unwatchable but it's definitely not worth a rewatch. Just put it on to play when you go out so the dogs have some background noise to distract them from chewing your furniture.
288 out of 417 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time For Affirmative Action
luaang-laang1 June 2021
In the name of affirmative action and diversity now Netflix and Hollywood need to make a movie full of thin women. They are all slim, can move fast, show their bodies and are proud.

Thunder Force, I am not sure if it is a spoof of some kind of a children's cartoon or what, makes me not want to visit Chicago. It is run-down and embarrassing. The director has one thin actress on the screen and I can guess he made sure she's there so he can interact with her himself during filming.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ben Falcone needs to stop making movies
MovieMutt9 April 2021
This was like a blah Disney movie but with curse words and sexual innuendos so I'm confused as to who the target audience is. Melissa McCarthy's (whom I love) husband wrote and directed the movie and once again he just doesn't have what it takes. All of his films have been stinkers. I also love Octavia Spencer but she isn't a comedic actress so her performance fell very flat for me. Overall, I'd say skip it. It was boring and brought nothing at all original to the table.
261 out of 393 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very boring...
fauconniersam15 May 2021
Couldn't continue watching, stopped in the middle...
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 3 for effort
gymoantwerpen10 May 2021
But.... Very hard to watch till the end... In fact i don't think i made it till the end.

The 2 big flaws are the acting... I think they knew it wasn't a great script and it felt like none of them wanted to be there. The one liners are cliché and just not funny. For a comedy the laughs aren't there. A smile here and there is what you get. Melissa McCarthy is becoming the female Adam Sandler.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You can't do Zero
perkinscm2 May 2021
What a waste of time. I was embarrassed watching this movie for the actors.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop ...just stop
stestritch13 April 2021
Please stop making trash unfunny movies. Melissa McCarthys 15 minutes of fame is over and her movies have passed the suck stage and landed somewhere between cringe and embarrassing.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
msbreviews9 April 2021
If you enjoy reading my Spoiler-Free reviews, please follow my blog :)

Ben Falcone and Melissa McCarthy, husband and wife, have been making movies together since the former began his filmmaking career. Literally, every film directed, written, and/or produced by Falcone has the famous actress in the lead role, all exploring subgenres of comedy. From romance (Superintelligence) to crime (The Happytime Murders), without forgetting a road trip (Tammy), now comes the time for Thunder Force, a dive into the highly profitable superhero circle. However, I don't believe the couple's real goal is to deliver a globally liked movie. Actually, I firmly defend that their purpose is to provide the most nonsensical piece of storytelling possible, hoping that viewers find it entertaining enough.

Directors, screenwriters, actors, and every other crew member... a vast majority aspire to deliver a groundbreaking masterpiece. A film recognized by everyone as "remarkable cinema". Something worthy of many Oscars, Golden Globes, and much more. Movies like Thunder Force aren't made to receive regular nominations, but instead, to try and be present at the Razzies - both Falcone and McCarthy have been quite successful in this achievement. While the actress continuously shows her undeniable talent that would be better employed in other films - such as Can You Ever Forgive Me? And Bridesmaids - the writer-director continues to put together awfully dull movies.

To be completely honest, the first act of Thunder Force is surprisingly decent. The setup to the main narrative is interesting enough, and the comedy peak is reached during the first half-hour. The massive problem is that this peak offers no more than a couple of chuckles occasionally. From the start of the second act until the very end, Falcone embarrassingly fails to offer genuine laughs. The tone is ridiculously out-of-balance, with almost every scene being a forced attempt at humor, even when the moment doesn't ask for it. Incredibly flat - and some disgusting - jokes are repeated throughout the film, which ends up dragging an already stretched out runtime.

The superhero plot is as generic and predictable as it could be in a movie that makes no effort in trying to do something remotely different than what viewers have seen for the last couple of decades. The VFX look like they came from an amateur studio as if Netflix didn't even care about its own product. Story-wise, there's not even a proper way of analyzing such a silly screenplay. In one moment, it seems to be taking a specific scene seriously, but a couple of minutes later, everything is back to the annoyingly dumb environment. Don't get me wrong: if there's a type of humor I absolutely adore is absurd comedy, but it needs to be done properly, with the right people and the right story.

In the end, I usually tend to have a light hand in films like this. Thunder Force is just another addition to the never-ending list of "forgettable movies", which isn't something that really bothers me. It's exactly what everyone expects it to be, which can work as a compliment if people want to. The most frustrating aspect of all of this is watching McCarthy and Octavia Spencer - two outstanding actresses with five Oscar nominations combined, including a win for the latter in The Help - working on hopeless projects such as this one. It begs the famous question: why?

Thunder Force is yet another piece of pointless, absurd storytelling from Ben Falcone, featuring unbearably dry, forced humor, besides a forgettable story. A film that cross-checks every requirement for a Razzies contender, something quite familiar for the writer-director and his wife, Melissa McCarthy, who keeps doing favors. Despite an admittedly decent first act, the rest of the film goes downhill concerning its entertainment value. Honestly, I don't know what's worse: witnessing McCarthy and Octavia Spencer waste her exceptional talent in nonsensical movies or seeing major studios continue to give opportunities to filmmakers that have nothing important to say while necessary, significant voices are still out there waiting desperately for their shot. The best compliment I can give this Netflix product is that it doesn't mislead anyone: it's precisely what viewers expect it to be, whether that's nice or horrible.

Rating: D.
252 out of 396 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel on menopause
bobrien-282839 May 2021
Awful,just plain and,I'm not even sure what audience this movie is aimed at,put spare yourself the pain of it.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.