Dybbuk Box: The Story of Chris Chambers (2019) Poster

Snore!
totex-112 June 2019
Don't waste your time on this. The most terrifying aspect of this "movie" is it's dragged out for an hour.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did someone spend money for this to be made!!
serahserah14 June 2019
I'm not even 15 minutes in and the number of flaws if impressive. Who edited/directed/produced this horror (as in horror to movie making). First as he's buying the box he reads the description saying it can only be traded. Then stops filming the screen to not show his BILLING INFORMATION. Next a box with no address labels shows up. Next 5 solid minutes of him waving an annoying beeping detector around the box telling us it's beeping. REALLY!? REALLY!? Latex gloves protect from demonic possession, hahahahhahahhahahha. How many times can he repeat the obvious!? This guy can't act. My cat's tail is more interesting.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How has this 8 stars??
mazla8226 August 2019
That was the lie right there.. thought it was gonna be real or a great mini film but awful acting and explainable acts for a rubbish mockumentary. Some tense moments that nothing came of.... disappointing!
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cinematic defecation on documentaries
danakdurant5 June 2020
D movie. D is NOT for "documentary" but in fact for: dybbuk-less dishonorable, despicable, disposable, dumb, dull, damnable, defiling, dastardly and deceiving.

Aside from the Stand By Me nod to Chris Chambers, this movie offered nothing in the way of entertainment.

***The lead character is played by the director, producer, editor, writer, gaffer, caterer and animal trainer Joseph Mazzeroeozzzoeorro or something. He released a "documentary" called Built On Graves - where actors from his other failed film projects are titled as HISTORIANS. A throne of liesssssss!
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seriously skip it
misty_hendon29 October 2020
This movie is an hour long and I was 45 min into it and there was still nothing happening other than some furniture moving and lights flickering. It's so boring.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is this a joke??
hotzx25 June 2019
So bad I'm not gonna even give it a review. I think what makes it even worse is they try to pass off as a true story. Don't bother watching this...
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought is was good.
jyanni-7880810 August 2019
If you take it for what it is and suspend your belief for a minute, it's pretty creepy. There were multiple parts that gave me chills down my spine. I think people are too caught up in special effects and gore that something creepy doesn't entertain them anymore.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame
AvalonToo4 June 2019
It stated it's a documentary of real event but it didn't even try to make it look real. The acting is atrocious. It was so boring that I fell asleep and it's less than an hour run time. I hope Chris Chambers is not counting on this one to break him into the film industry. Utter failure.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Remotely Believable
sara-bellanti20 June 2020
I am 8 minutes in and i already have issues. He says the box can only be traded, not bought. Then the seller only accepts Bitcoin. Then he buys it for $1,200. Come on.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth watching kind of
freddyfuggle3 July 2019
I don't usually believe in this kind of thing. One or two things happened that could be easily explained away, or believed, depending on your view on the paranormal. However, 3 points stood out as utterly fake (in my opinion) 1) the bed "bouncing" looked like someone was under the blanket (on the floor) at the end of the bed 2) when he smashed the "glass" on his head there was no blood on his head or hand. Not even a drip on the floor. 3) when he walks away after smashing the glass, he actually stands on, and drags a piece of "glass" with his foot. Again, no blood on his foot or the carpet. I was very interested until these points, now all I can say is OBVIOUSLY a fake attempt by yet another "YouTube star" to get recognised. All in all, kinda creepy, kinda scarey, but ultimately a let down, and I certainly would not see it as a "true story"
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cack of the highest order
elismith-5020922 August 2019
I was looking forward to seeing an interesting documentary, I was treated to what I can only describe as the most boring bs since the Blair Witch Project. Please don't waste your time. Amazing how someone can apparently smash a glass into their own face, shuffle barefoot through the broken glass, then walk across a cream carpet and not one drop of blood? Come on, why has this got 8.1? It's beyond me.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiled by poor acting and inconsistencies
sneakygloworm30 June 2019
When an individual makes a mockumentary, everything needs to be on point for it to be convincing. This starts out really quite well but very soon poor scripting opens gaping holes. "Box must be traded" - character buys it. Packaging of box has no label, etc on delivery. Then, later, the main character points the camera at a "trigger zone" long before the event actually triggers. Like he knew it was going to happen. This absolutely kills suspension of disbelief.

Then later, his friend arrives and the whole thing disintegrates into an amateur short film. Her body language is completely wrong. Her delivery is one of complete boredom. It's like she can't completely remember what she needs to say so her entire motivation for her scenes is simply recalling her lines. Also, the main character says the box stinks. But Sarah doesn't mention it at all. The dybukk legend? Myth? Is really quite interesting but for such a short and personal film, this should've been much tighter and more consistent. 4/10

P.s. I'm fairly sure that if an entity was prodding me all night, I would move to another county/state immediately.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As bad as they come
rdmcleod12 June 2019
I would willing to bet they worked 3 hard days making this. If Mr. Rogers made a horror film, this would be it. "Did you hear that? That sound was from the living room... let's go take a look." Perfect for those in solitary confinement. "Uhhh I'm Chris and I just want to talk." Says the character who sits on a sofa and talks... and talks...
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's like watching half a movie.
RandomFlux20 May 2020
It really feels like watching half a movie.

At the point where every other horror movie goes to the next level and starts the truly weird stuff, this one ends.

There's nothing but the lead character narrating his actions, what he thinks, and the things that sort of happen, like flickering lights and temperature changes.

You'd be better off watching a ghost hunting reality show because at least they fake some action for you to watch.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Documentary" about YouTuber Chris Chambers.
nekrotikk5 October 2019
At the time of writing this 'Dybbuk Box: The Story of Chris Chambers' has an 8/10 rating on IMDB and I have no idea why. I'm giving it a 1/5 because it's exceptionally tame and the few jump scares it has are so well lit they have no impact. There are much better supernatural films out there.

The film opens with some text saying it's a documentary and industry professionals have verified that the footage shows true paranormal events. Then we see screenshots of real YouTubers who opened dybuk boxes on their channels. Chris Chambers is included in this selection but his channel name is hidden while the others are visible. Recognising the other channels I paused the film and looked for the Chris Chambers video expecting it to be fake. The video is there on the channel Joseph Mazzaferro Mazz Appeal Films. Joseph Mazzaferro is the writer and director of 'Dybbuk Box: The Story of Chris Chambers' as well as being the actor who plays Chris Chambers according to IMDB. Amazon Prime and the film credits say Chris Chambers appears as himself.

It's cool when films try to look like documentaries showing real events, this one would have got a much higher rating from me, probably a 4/5, if Joseph Mazzaferro had used his own name and YouTube channel for the main character. That way he could have got some attention and later explained that it was just a film, 'The Blair Witch Project' style.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash acting makes this movie exactly that...trash
ndanderson-156574 October 2019
The first few moments of the film, I will say I was intrigued. I had read several poor reviews, but everyone has to make up their own mind. It wasn't until his friend enters the picture and displays, what I can only say is, a poor sign of shock and horror when the name "Roger" is mentioned. If this man had such an impact on your childhood and no one else knows about what happened, including Chris, then suddenly a demon says his name implicating him as the "shadow man" in your room? I think that should have warranted a more heart felt response to such a traumatic revelation. That's when the facade was broken for me. I tried to enjoy it for what it was, a low budget indie film. But, once Sarah was introduced, it went downhill from there. I literally cracked up when Chris swatted the lamp. It seemed as though he was trying to seem fed up and overly frustrated, but it came across like he was trying not to break the lamp. I know whoever made this was trying, but for me they didnt succeed.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just kind of......meh
brnrdrb26 July 2019
Went in hoping for something mildly entertaining and that's exactly what I got. Knew less than 5 minutes in it was not real but stuck around to see how they could wrap this whole mess up. The only positive of this film is they didn't try to drag it out past 60 minutes.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed.
cliffcrum26 June 2019
Yep it's all an act . When the fan fell and no elect wires caught at wire nuts before falling the rest of the way told me all I need to know. Boo.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
don't try to tell your audience it's real when it's clearly not!
e_epistle6 April 2021
> there are just two "actors" and they can NOT act.

> hard to watch: it's ripping off a far more successful film series > biggest disappointment though comes in the flat finale similar to Paranormal Activity but sadly, it makes it all feel like a waste of time.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been better
zamboni-3663324 December 2020
I really enjoy these found footage movies. I love the entire Paranormal Activity series. They aren't real. Neither is this one. It starts out creepy, but never really picks up steam. It's only one hour long, so it's over before it really had a chance to get running. Oh well.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Footage ...NOT
littlestewals2 June 2019
So I should have finished the film before I posted my review. In addition to the afore mentioned items, this film was horrible. Poor Sarah was not convincing at all in her surprise or reaction to the spirit box response to her questions. The final scene was on a loop, which only supports the notion that this film was not "real footage". I do appreciate the message that people should stay away from dabbling with the spirit world, and the lighting was good. As any film director knows, lighting is key to set the mood and enabling the audience to see what is happening. Those are really the only two things this film has going for it.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute joke
Delirium130 August 2019
Hardly believable, bad editing, waste of time.

As of the 30th of August, there were 24 reviews. 12 persons gave 1 star. There are also a few 2,3 and 4 stars. How can this pile of nonsense get an 8 star rating?
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Movie
Opinate4 October 2019
Not a movie, not anything really. guy opens box. nothing happens.
I'm speechless...!
CharlieHound7 September 2019
This is quite possibly the worst movie ever made, and the 8/10 score it has received here is obviously fake, as nobody in their right mind would score this anything more than 1/10. If I could give it 0/10 I would. I've never seen such a disgrace of a movie.

I'm trying to think if there were any redeeming factors but there are none. It really is, without doubt, the worst movie I have seen in my entire life, and I'm 50 years old.and have watched a lot of movies.

Despite what it asserts, this quite obviously isn't a true story. It isn't anything. It's just someone talking nonsense for far too long. I'm still gobsmacked that someone had the audacity to not only make this movie, but to release it and pay people to give it a falsely high rating, because once they run out of money to pay for these votes, the rating is going to plummet. I'll be surprised if this doesn't drop to 2/10 within a few weeks.

Do yourself a favour and don't watch this, because you WILL regret it if you do. What is the world coming to when nonsense like this is even allowed on the screen, far less scoring 8/10 on here. The world had gone mad. The bar hasn't been lowered, it has been removed completely.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not an absolute waste of time.
kylenaas14 July 2019
This "found footage" film plays out quickly and doesn't drag like other "real accounts" of events like this. Felt like Paranormal Activity if the person making it wasn't taking it seriously and thought "no one is going to believe this is real anyway" through out production and threw his hands up towards the end in frustration of having no idea where it's going. At an hour it's actual fun and worth the watch if this is the genre of movies and television you're into.