Countdown (2019) Poster

(III) (2019)

Definitely flawed but not completely awful
juliette-smits24 October 2019
What I liked:
  • interesting, original concept that feels strangely applicable to our modern society. Let's be honest: if we could really download an app like this, most people would.
  • decent acting.
  • surprisingly likeable and intelligent main character, which is kind of refreshing in this genre.
  • not particularly scary to me but probably pretty creepy to someone who scares easily. Which is a good thing.
  • no inconsistencies or plot holes I could find.

What I didn't like:
  • unnecessary romance is unnecessary.
  • the comic relief priest.
  • the weird sexual harassment subplot. I feel like they could've done without.
  • bit predictable at times, clichés throughout.
  • a couple of dumb jump scares.

Overall not a terrible experience. Probably don't care to watch it again but if you're in the mood for a fun horror flick this'll do just fine.
95 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For lovers of final destination
jelliejune25 October 2019
The movie gave me the same feeling I had when I first watched Final Destination; trying to beat death with a few good laughs and nice characters. You know what's going to happen but still you're in suspense.

Not the best horror movie of 2019, but definitely enjoyable to watch around Halloween. And deserves a better rating than it has.
50 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually pretty good for PG 13
bandblawrw25 October 2019
Great times when a movie completely surprises you by being good. PG 13 horror movies tend to be mediocre but #Countdown was really good. A bit more to the plot than the trailers implied. Witty (snarky) dialogue and a great group of unknowns, with two great veterans dropped into the mix, Tichina Arnold and Peter Facinelli, whom I didn't even know were in the film. As a teen movie, everyone is gorgeous *eye candy* but the twist in the movie gave it more depth than anticipated. Two peripheral characters added an unexpected comic appeal for a "horror" movie. I think the Happy Death Day franchise has spun off a new genre "com-horror" maybe? Anyway, on a regular movie scale this is maybe a 7? but for the PG 13 horror rankings, a solid 9. Great date movie, as there is no nudity, or a movie to see with a group of friends for laughs and jump scares.
33 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Countdown
questl-1859230 October 2019
Countdown is one of those movies that aims big but never really gets there. It has an interesting concept, an app that can tell you when you'll die with unbelievable accuracy. That's fun, right? Unfortunately the concept, and the movie as a whole tends to fall apart if you look at it too hard.

To its credit, I'm not sure how hard it's really trying. It at times seems to take itself seriously and then at other points not at all. The performances are all... There. Nothing really great to report. Oh, and there's a lesson about sexual harassment as well.

At the end of the day, it's a blah horror flick. Not terribly memorable beyond the concept and, honestly, not worth spending the money to see it on the big screen.
24 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a great scary movie!
Jacksonsev26 October 2019
I was honestly super skeptical about seeing this movie because I feel like supernatural-technological movies are flat out STUPID (movies like "Rings" and "Unfriended") AND the ratings on this movie were so low!! BUT I WAS THOROUGHLY SURPRISED

I am a scary movie guru and I've seen pretty much any scary movie you could name and trust me this one was one of the good ones! The acting from the lead actress was phenomenal (which was expected: her acting from the tv show "You" was phenomenal!) the jump scares really got me, and that RARELY happens! There were scares that I was totally not expecting. The story was great with some comedic moments that will make you chuckle!

I encourage you to ignore the bad ratings and watch it for yourself! I'm sure you will see the movie and enjoy it like I did!
63 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5.4 RATING I THINK NOT!!!!!
jwagner-7429927 October 2019
Okay so I love horror movies, I am a big fan of The conjuring,Anabelle,Halloween movies ect. I thought this movie was gonna be stupid, just like how bye bye man, and wish upon were. Then to top it off I read the reviews, it was first a 5.3/10 when I first saw the rating. But i usually still give movies a shot. I was suprised, I would fairly rate it as good as Happy Death Day, if not better. It was funny like how Happy Death Day adds some chuckles, and like there was so many good jump scares!!! Definitely a must try before being judged movie.
64 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected
fayelovesgreenday25 October 2019
I was expecting this to be awful and especially in the first 5 mins but it was actually really scary and the acting was decent for a horror movie, if you are looking for a way to kill time with your friends i definitely recommend you go see this movie, it was pretty good
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheating death ?! It's more of cheating the audience!
IMDB-Reviews11 January 2020
The movie is about an app when downloaded tells you exactly when will you die, The whole plot (an hour and a half) revolves around a nurse who downloaded the app and trying along with her sister and some random guy to cheat the app to survive.

The movie feel cheesy and stretched with the lack of a solid plot, it's like a cheap knock off to "Final Destination". The characters choice is poor as if the writer didn't care about them, the back story is barley there and the plot has no sense of coherence with a very predictable ending you can see it a mile ahead ! Overall the only good thing comes out of this disaster is one thing, that it's utterly forgettable.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Make sure to read terms and conditions
seanmatern27 October 2019
Honestly I was in the mood to be spooked, and that's what this movie did. It's all about jump scares, so if that's not your thing then I wouldn't suggest this movie. But I don't know why this movie is getting all these bad scores. If you want to be scared by jump scares and have some laughs then I suggest this movie
29 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not really impressed
therevanchist-1473926 October 2019
So to begin, for some strange reason in horror films many people just seem to lose their common sense. Sorry just had to put that there, on the other hand I thought the pace is the movie was faster than it should have been and then to top everything off the character development for the main characters was really disappointing in that, I never really gained a reason to care about these people who were falling victim to the app, the main girl really is just some girl who downloaded the app and we just have to watch her try to figure things out, and her love interest all of a sudden shows up out of nowhere because his time is running out as well, farther in the movie they have a thing and then he gets run over by the car lol Just not impressed with this movie
41 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of money, cliché and predictable.
stopthekeemstar27 October 2019
This horror movie was a huge disappointment. Though some things were decent, it's definitely not worth time and money, The idea of finding out when you'll die could've been explored in a much more creative and scary way meaning this film had lots of wasted potential. The only scares were the cheap jump scares.

Certain aspects of the movie such as the protagonist and those she knows being tormented by the "demon thing" a lot more than the girl and guy at the beginning doesn't make sense. It sort of contradicts what the Father says during his scenes. Also what were those scenes about anyways?? Although they were funny, they definitely went a bit overboard and it started to feel like a comedy instead of a horror; it was super hard to take the movie seriously. The fact that the demons powers suddenly stopped working such as not being able to stop Quinn from killing herself and the idiotic, unrealistic choices of the characters (oh my dead mother is back all of a sudden, oh I should apologise to my dead brother (bit convenient that they have guilt related to their deceased family members)) that make the movie the opposite of immersive. I just wanna say that the sexual assault subplot was very cringey and unnecessary, they should've thought that through better.

Plus literally no one reads the terms and conditions of apps so practically everyone would be dying very soon if they downloaded the app, I guess that would require the demon to be in more than one place at one time (which it's incapable of apparently e.g when trying to kill Jordan and stopping to kill Quinn). Just move countries and you'll be fine - or record everything that goes down so that it goes mainstream. Who approved of this app anyway?!!! I guess demons in their universe have time to make apps.

Overall 3/10, save your time for the videos criticising this movie, would probably be more engaging and keep your braincells intact.
30 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Countdown (2019)
rockman18225 October 2019
This looked like it came from the maker of Truth or Dare. A film about a group of young people who are being plagued by a haunted game of life or death. This month is the month where I'm always in the horror movie spirit, though this didn't seem like that type of film that would cure that horror itch. This film was bland, predictable, cliched, and just flat out bad.

The film is about an app called "Countdown" which when downloaded onto your phone will tell you the exact moment when you will die. Some people have many years to live. For the protagonist of the film, she has only a few days an she must find a way to break the curse and defy her destined death. She pairs with another stranger who is in the exact same situation.

This film is cliched and just felt very generic. The scares are predictable, unoriginal, and come exactly when you would expect them. I actually like the idea for the film. We live in a modern digital age where phones and social media runs supreme, so in theory its a good idea for this film. However, its dull in many passages. Also, they stuffed in a sexual harassment angle that felt off place, most likely to address current modern movements. Also, a love story arc with the two leads that absolutely made no sense with the duration of screen time they had together.

Its just a mess of a film that is exactly what you expect. I kept checking my watch during the 90 minutes hoping for it to end as it is dull and the would be scares are so drawn out. We see these types of movies every year; a horror film that does nothing for its genre and just goes through motions we have seen before. You can completely avoid this film, which really felt like a countdown to when you gladly can leave the theater.

22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame and predictable
chrisagray-2739927 October 2019
This movie was terrible. Should have gone straight to Redbox. It was slow, predictable and boring. Save your money.
33 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made me wish I had died before watching it....
mstanton-9084828 November 2019
The only thing this movie made me feel was contrite for being dragged along to watch it. A boring, predictable plot that should have gone straight to free to air tv.
23 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better Than I Thought
kipperquillen25 October 2019
Honestly came to this with pretty low expectations and because I was bored. After the first bit, I was actually starting to like it because a couple bad jump scared.

The biggest problem I had was how it ended. I think that if they killed both of the girls off by tricking them or left the older one dead it wouldn't have ended with that cheesy ending.

If you're bored, give it a try!
18 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing Original
mgentalen29 October 2019
Let me say, I love these B Horror films ( normally0. With Countdown, there was nothing original. The first two acts were good, not great, maybe a low B. The third act, even though the movie is only 90 minutes, felt 20 minutes too long. There is a exorcist theme, the whole " someone has to die first for us to survive."

The Doctor harassment story line could have been better crafted. I know the budget isn't substantial, it felt really pieced together.
19 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked this more than expected, especially when...
TheTopDawgCritic15 January 2020
...I noticed this is novice director and writer Justin Dec's first full length feature film.

The directing - camera work and directing his cast, seemed that of a seasoned director - bravo. Sure this story sounds familiar, but still, the screenplay was surprisingly tight and perfectly paced with the just-right run-time of 90 mins. Even the score didn't have that cheesiness you'd expect in these types of B-grade films, and was just right at the right times to increase the tension and suspense. Casting was on point, with a stellar performance by Elizabeth Lail.

I feel the critics were way too hard on this film, especially when they didn't consider it was put together by a novice filmmaker. Would I recommend this film? Absolutely. Will I see it again? Already did with friends. It's a well deserved 8/10 from me. To see more of my 1000+ ratings and 800+ reviews, click on my username.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leave the politics out...
FilmChamp2011 January 2020
It's a decent movie for entertainment purposes. Definitely not scary or anything...felt more like a supernatural episode without Sam and Dean.

But what's with the White man is bad, stupid, and sexist? We didn't need the whole sexual harassment by a white male who has the others on the board agreeing with him...with only the black woman believing her. Do we really need the MeToo side story in this? Why is it necessary? Then the bad white man getting violent after Quinn hits his car. Then the Chivalrous and smart black man comes to save the day and to add, "I'm going to die and don't mind taking a white person with me". Like come on! Then goto a bar where a drunk moron talking about conspiracy theories is stupidly convinced to download an app...and you guessed it...he's white. Then the other nurse comes to Quinn and says she's had the sexual assault from the same doctor, they hug and say they will back eachother up.

I'm so sick of this crap. I had to step away. The movie and comedy in it wasn't distracting enough to brush off the political message in a movie about a killer app... just make a movie. I don't care who the characters are...just make them good characters. Quit bashing other races to make others better. Or the same with genders.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Of course it became political.
martyscasino14 January 2020
First black man that appears in the movie commenced to bring up race and scare a "white man" away. Turned it off. Crappy movie makers trying to stay cool with their liberal big brothers and sisters in Liberal Hollywood. Didn't have to go there, it's becoming cliche.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not much special, but not bad either
crpetersen30 November 2019
'Countdown' is a 90 minutes long horror/thriller movie directed and written by Justin Dec, a virtually unknown name in the film industry. The premise of the movie is fairly simple: a small group of people downloads an app called 'Countdown' on their phones that tells the person who downloads the app when they're going to die, and the small group that we follow all find out that they have a remarkably short amount of time left. And on top of that, there are demons that haunt them throughout the movie that seem to come every other scene, at least that was what it felt like, and that makes a lot of room for everyone's favorite thing...jumpscares. The group, which consists of our main character, Quinn Harris (Elizabeth Lali), her sister, Jordan (Talitha Eliana Bateman) and Matt (Jordan Calloway), tries to stop the app from killing them once they find out that it isn't fake and therefore seeks help from a priest, who felt like comic relief most of the times he was on screen. The group then gains more knowledge about the app and learn how to seemingly defeat it, and that...is it. Well, that's as much as I can say without spoiling anything major.

The plot is fairly simple, and I'm glad to say that the execution was pretty decent, though incredibly flawed. There are jumpscares upon jumpscares from beginning to end in this movie, but that, unfortunately, seems to be the norm in modern horror. The premise isn't the very original, but the usage of mythology was what gave it more depth. The sexual harassment subplot felt awkward and out of place at first, but then I saw what it lead up to and then it made more sense. The acting was decent, nothing special, and at the same time nothing bad about it. But thank god the main character was likable, the movie would've been so much worse if she wasn't

Now for arguably the most important part about a horror movie, was it scary? I'm not a person who gets easily scared, especially not by movies, and this one didn't get me, not even with its heaping pile of jumpscares. But I was creeped out a few times by the things that were done with the dead bodies, and that's positive.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a Comedy/Horror!
adis-0-92795225 October 2019
It's a fun (and funny) horror movie. If you go in expecting a serious and tense horror/thriller you will be disappointed. If you enjoy Comedy/Horror, this movie is pretty good!
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Because horror films are so stupid today, I just root for everyone to die..
whitemanfromtowne9 January 2020
The film started out on a decent premise and then went south pretty quick. So because horror films are so stupid today, I just root for everyone to die. One dumb film.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing to write home about
travism-4478411 January 2020
Typical. Bad plot. Gotta have a token black guy. Kind of boring
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad it's bad.
lopez-ramiro27 October 2019
Best way to describe it is it's like a (really) bad mash-up of the ideas behind "The Ring", "Final Destination" and "It follows" among others. Unoriginal, boring and full of cliches, it's not even funny. Acting is terrible and the script is even worse, it's one of those movies you quit after 10 minutes if you're not in the movie theater. Don't waste your time.
20 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not watch this guys!
minichbalint2 November 2019
It's a piece of crap. No one liked it at all. Very bad acting and visual effects!
18 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.