Fear of Rain (2021) Poster

(2021)

61%
thomastobutt17 February 2021
✅It's one of those movies where it constantly has you guessing what's real and not, it cleverly has some twists which are in plain sight but unexpected as they distract you with other things.

❌Straight away this movie becomes instantly boring, it doesn't live up to its expectations. I wish it explored more of the plot line with the neighbour.

❌It takes a while to get to the point and once it does it pushes it to the side to prioritise the stuff between Rain and Caleb.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hmmm, I don't know what film other reviewers have been watching.
gavin-21713 February 2021
It's not a bad film, it's just not a nine like others have said and it's not an accurate depiction of schizophrenia. It's more of a less sophisticated take on A Beautiful Mind with the story line of Hitchcock's Rear Window. I feel like the writer watched both of these films on a Friday night, then wrote this the next day. It's a little slow and would have benefited from being trimmed by twenty minutes or so. The dialogue feels forced and lacks flow. If you're bored, give it a go.
38 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tries too hard to be too many movies in one
hampersnow-2890512 February 2021
This is your average new Hollywood production, decent acting ( Connick is very good in this, Madison Iseman is excellent, as is Eugenie Bondurant ) well shot, mildly entertaining, but ridiculous story , awful script and plot holes galore. It's as if they don't even try, treating the audience as if everyone is an idiot. The entire movie doesn't make a lot of sense , characters could easily clear things up by asking questions or just saying something but then the movie would have no where to go. The movie is filled with clichés and scenes that just show how lazy the writers were, although I won't give anything away. It also seems to suffer from not knowing what it wants to be, so it throws in way too many angles and twists that don't ultimately work. Heigl, who can be good, is wasted here and seems miscast, Israel Broussard is now just being typecast as the unrealistic, cute , super-nice boy in school. I wanted to like this but it's just another stupid Hollywood endeavor.
39 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boredom Kicks In Quickly
flowerstardust197914 February 2021
Was actually looking forward to this. Felt let down and bored 30 minutes in.

What starts out as an interesting spin on horror choosing mental illness as it's storyline, quickly becomes all over the place and a little offensive towards people who suffer with schizophrenia. For example: Assume everything they talk about is part of their illness. Or maybe it's trying to break the stigma. Depends on which way you view it.

There were a few twists and turns, but overall constant screaming and the whole "is it real or is it paranoia" started to wear thin very quickly and my interest was wearing thin. As someone else mentioned in their review, it's not as clever as it thinks it is.

Nothing new here. Time passer with some boredom thrown in.
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not afraid
kosmasp1 April 2021
Well maybe a little bit ... or maybe quite a lot. If you have a person that imagines things (and individuals for that matter), how much do you play into their fears and what they believe they saw? There are quite a few nice and decent twists and turns in this and it is a very well made thriller.

Also played quite well. The guessing what might be keeps your interest up and the tension high from start to finish. It is not a masterpiece of course, but not every movie has to be, yes? If you agree and keep your expectations to a certain degree, there is fun to be had here.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finished it.
nickhess-9075221 February 2021
I finished this movie because I made it so far. This movie is annoying to me. The movie could have ended within the first 40 mins if she just took a couple pictures. When it finally starts getting into things, you are just pushed into Caleb and her stuff together. Her family life is predictable. The whole movie is predictable in most ways except one twist which I won't reveal in case people want to see this. Overall, the acting is decent though. Like I said, this movie could have been 30 to 40 mins at most by just using her phone and taking a picture.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very unsatisfying
nickbarrett-7723315 February 2021
I usually absolutely love psychological thrillers, but this one just fell short for me. It is an amazing concept just done completely wrong. The script is dry, the acting is subpar (except for Caleb, he was great), and the ending was not satisfying at all. There are moments where it keeps you on the edge of your seat, and there are moments you almost want to fall asleep. The movie leaves you unsure of how, why, and if anything in the movie actually happened, so if you like that kind of ending, you might love this movie.
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good thriller
andreascaloni17 February 2021
Fear of Rain is accomplished in its design but Landon struggles to generate much tension from her plot, which frequently feels contrived. Though not everything works, the performances are solid and it is still a good thriller.

Rating: 6,2.
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The film was able to enter the viewer into the character's mind
ahmadjehad-1034013 February 2021
As a viewer who enjoyed the movie, I lived in confusion with rain until the last moment. I felt her suffering on all levels. Madison dazzled us with embodying the character and the film makers dazzled us by bringing us into her mind.
29 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good writing or Bad Writing?
superiorroofpainting5 March 2021
Fear of rain left me confused about the writing. It was both good and bad at the same time. In parts of the film it left you unsure and guessing which is great writing but overall the film went on way to long.

The film which was almost 2 hrs long told more of a story about Rain the what the plot suggested. It was extremely dragged out. The film had no suspense.

There is not much more to say apart from it was a boring film. The acting was good and Madison (Rain) did a good job. So credit where credit is due.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Buzzfeed Movie that treats it's fans like idiots
itakethesquare25 February 2021
As much as I appreciate filmmakers that tackle topics that are important, this movie did a poor job at conveying it. There's one thing about making it messy so that it's crucial for character development, but it's just messy while it tries to piece every little storyline together. At some points you even think what's happening is real but it isn't, and vise versa -- that you even forget about the matter at hand and see just a very troubled mentally ill person suffer. It could be offensive for some because at some times they try and play it off like she's a psychic. I understand that the disease is extremely scary for those who have it or people like me who have family that have/had it until they passed, if it was done more maturely and didn't rush into a lot of different plot points we could have had a very interesting flick.

I would prefer the latest Anthony Hopkins movie about alzheimers and dementia.

Buzzfeed hasn't had a knack for posting good things anyway.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely had me in it!!! Really appreciated this movie!!!
epfoster2214 February 2021
Some earlier viewers are harsh...honestly...coming from someone who has dealt with mental issues in the past and the realism this movie puts it in I'm in awe of! Madison Isemon (forgive my dyslexic spelling) is sooo very talented and great at her role! I was a bit skeptical of this movie at first honestly. Though, after finally having seen it, it brought back some unique memories I can relate to and am proud when I was right on! With that said...give this movie a chance and don't judge a book by its cover...I meant it! There are some many problems and issues to fix in our world in general! Enjoy film and getting an idea of things that may or may not be similar to what you are accustomed to seeing/hearing/understand...etc....just take it all in for what it is and form your opinion there...my opinion honestly...I enjoyed this move A LOT!!! And the cast, crew, visual effects etc...did an AMAZING job making this film what it is!!! I'll leave it at that...everyone can for there opinions from here...
22 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible portrayal of struggles with mental health
leesimon-2635725 February 2021
Let's start with one positive: The cast wasn't terrible, though the acting was very sub-par. Character interactions were awful, but mostly due to poor writing. it's very hard to act well with such bad dialogue. This movie was bad in film terms, in that the dialogue was trash, the plot developments were unbelievable, the world it created was not credible, the shaky camera work did not convey suspense, and the soundtrack was pretty lame. But more than anything, its portrayal of schizophrenia does a HUGE disservice to the mental health community. Anyone who has ever known anyone with schizophrenia or worked in the field of broader mental health is at a disadvantage in attempts to advocate for a better understanding, because of this terrible portrayal. This movie shows everything that you would not do if your loved one was ill, and everything that wouldn't happen if they were refusing medication. In terms of the movie, it probably could have done a better job if it wither stuck to one genre; either Thriller or Drama. It is the attempt to do both that let down the audience. At the end, you feel like you have wasted your time. This may have gotten a better score from me, but its odiously poor job at portraying schizophrenia was too damaging.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Acting and OK Final Act
aidanpsmoore15 February 2021
Any horror movie that rates over 5.0 I will watch. That's because horror movies are inherently flawed when the act 3 or 4 "reveal" finally shows. The reveal is usually something we cannot believe, and most times when we don't believe the movie falls apart.

This movie has a reasonable premise and enough suspense to make it to the final act. At that point it doesn't fail miserably so I give it a 7.

Actually good watchable characters and suspense. Worth a watch.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not good
sasham-8660826 March 2021
Just another movie where is everything seen before.
Not All That
pdbodyshop27 February 2021
I just didn't like the movie. Other than the acting it's only average.
Very very well acted
chaakar17 February 2021
Not a perfect movie, or most original, but the acting was top-notch, an excellent depiction of what schizophrenia can be like. Definitely not masterpiece, I did scrub through a bit of it, but far from unwatchable. A solid 6.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You won't regret watching it I assure you
Micha12212213 February 2021
I don't care if there's any repeated ideas . It's very moving and enjoyable to watch, the acting was great , at some points you can't really guess if it's real or not and I liked it cause it made me feel what the leading character is supposed to be feeling which in my humble opinion great thing and a mark of success and most importantly it's not that kind of movies that you will regret watching . So go ahead and give it a try
20 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Good
Jke_124512 February 2021
I went on IMDb to look for Katherine Heigl movies and this one came up yet I thought to myself has she ever been in a horror film? Well she was in Unforgettable but no not really. So I watched this and thought it was pretty good. The main role is filled in by Madison Iseman and she succeeds with flying colours. Her character has schizophrenia and is scared of what's real or just her head meaning that she is always on edge which again she is more than capable of and I was really surprised. Now the real draw of this movie was Katherine Heigl and she is really good in this movie as the mother, and I mean really good. Although I wish she had a little more screen time. The actor who plays the dad in this movie is excellent. His character is fed up with Iseman's character and what she's saying (Won't spoil it). So this movie has a good cast what about the plot? This movie plays on the thought of what is real or fake in this movie yet the plot can seem lame but the actors performances make up for it. This is a semi spoiler about the movie so click off now if you don't want it ruined. This movie has a twist towards the final act however it isn't sudden or unnecessary, it adds emotional weight to the movie and grounds the characters more.

So what are my final thoughts on this movie? Its pretty good especially for a lockdown watch. Its well made has a fantastic cast and a solid plot. Also the chemistry between the characters feels genuine which is a big part of this movie with it being about a family.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real or Not Real... keep you guessing the whole time
homeflash1 March 2021
This movie has some twists and they are making you guess is it real or not the whole time.

The surprise is not really about the ending, but more in the middle of it.

The acting is flawless, and the most scary part is not the violence, but the teacher. The way she looks scared me in the beginning of the movie. That skinny look was really scary.

However, I do not understand the beginning part, how would that drag into life of "Rain". The movie does not explain at all.. Otherwise, I would have given this movie 10 stars.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How movie critics still have jobs is beyond me.
freonicusmaximus19 February 2021
This was surprisingly good. Great cast that really pulls you into the story. Lots of suspense and mystery. Class act, don't trust the ratings. READ THD USER REVIEWS or you just may miss a great movie.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
Molly_flower28 March 2021
The actors in this movie played their parts well, and at first I was intrigued but after strange scenes where the characters did not quite gel together and it just felt awkward, I guessed the big reveal and was disappointed that I guessed it so early on with no further twists in the movie. Not the actors faults as its supposed to be non-engaging for another reason. Also, the trailer made it look like a horror which it definitely was not.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fear of.... movies like this!
med-0108128 March 2021
Depressing, predictable and boring. Not sure how this film got the ok or why it was even made. It tries way to hard to get you lost in the main characters mental issues but in the end its predictable in the first 5 minutes. It then drones on for nearly 2 hours to get to what you probably figured out straight away. The acting isn't bad but i didnt feel anything towards the characters wooden personalities. Dont waste your time with this one unless you have absolutely nothing left to do with your time.
Not serious
What-a-Punk1 March 2021
This movie is silly. The topic is serious, but the attempt it takes is underwhelming. Character behavior doesn't make sense and I'm not talking about mental illness part, I'm talking about simple logic. The ending is just childish. There are plenty good movies with this kind of plot, so I cannot give this one a good score. You gain nothing by watching it, but I guess you can still kill some time with it when there's nothing else to watch.
...not another one.
georgio-2649016 February 2021
This movie has been done so many times, and they are identical from every aspect. Same nurses and doctors, same script word for word about medicines , same family love and loyalty that tires , the only thing that changes is names and locations. The first 20 movies of this ilk were bearable, no more for at least 5 years pleeeassse , boring monotonous repeated guff.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.