Laal Singh Chaddha (2022) Poster

1,843 Reviews
Don't believe the low rating
rijuthegreat15 August 2022
This film does not deserve a one star rating. Period. There are much worse movies than this. Neither is this a ten star film.

What it is, is a very faithful adaptation of Forrest Gump which successfully transplants an American story to an Indian milieu, and improves on Forrest's relationship with Jenny by leaps and bounds, giving it the story arc it originally deserved. The movie also does not pull any punches while showing historical incidents, and actually takes a huge risk by calling out organized religion on the whole (not a specific one as many have been led to believe) as the root cause of all evil (here Malaria). Forrest Gump was a far safer movie and seems tame in comparison - in Lal Singh Chaddha the recreation of the events is much more visceral and realistic and pack quite a punch. While performances from some of the cast including Kareena, Naga Chaitanya and Manav Vij are exceptional, the weakest link in the film is Aamir himself, who is inconsistent and hammy in the extreme in many scenes. Also, Lal Singh Chaddha could have been shorter and better edited but even with all its flaws, it is still heartwarming and funny and good for a one time watch, for both those who have seen Forrest Gump, and those who haven't. Please watch.
119 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly worth watching movie
swapnilwadkar12 August 2022
One of best movie I watched from Bollywood.

Aamir Khan is really inspirational human being. He done this adaption with great perfection. World will always see him with gratitude so don't see those negative reviews which are given by haters not viewers.

Watch movie for different kind of experience.
138 out of 282 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Advait Chandan is the secret superstar of this masterpiece!
ReelShahid13 August 2022
Well! 3 decades is a along wait to see your own Forrest Gump. But, man it is worth it! Laal Singh Chaddha is a movie with a soul. After watching it, you would definitely feel that every nation should make a Forrest Gump of its own. This movie does not tells you what is right or what is wrong, because the person narrating it is a kid at heart and this is the real beauty of this masterpiece. If you really want to detach yourself from the politics, hate and rage that you have been surrounded with, then go watch this movie, all it has to offer is a peace of mind and peace is all we want. And maybe along this journey you will find your lost soul that you were desperately looking for.

The whole star cast was hell bent on giving the best performance that they possibly could and they did do so!

Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor (with lot of support from Mona Singh and Naga Chaitanya) may have been the lead pairs who brilliantly carried on the immense burden of justifying this critically acclaimed adaptation, but the secret superstar that emerges out of this masterpiece is Advait Chandan, the director!

You simply cannot hate this movie, if you have even little bit of love left in your heart!
218 out of 467 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once in a lifetime experience.
charaadnan12 August 2022
What an amazingly heart warming experience this movie is - Advait's astute direction, Atul's imaginative Indian adaptation, Naga, Mona & Kareena's commendable parts and finally, Aamir's noble performance makes it a disarming and emotional journey for the audiences.

An absolute masterpiece reinstating our belief - A golden heart wins against all odds.

Must watch for the entire family.
136 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a 7 but giving it a 10 just because boycotters are giving it one without watching the movie
murtazashabbirms13 August 2022
It's a really fun and a light movie,which shows how life works in mysterious ways. The first half of the movie was very quick grasping and connected with the audie well. But after the train journey people were so exhausted with what rupa(kareena kapoor) was doing(u will understand when u watch) that at the end when climax came people were not at the edges of their seats and surprised or emotionally connected with them. But the story was told in a very well manner and this would be the best adaption to forest grump because suiting the entire original movie to indian narrative was really tough. Lastly all the supporting actors,childhood Rupa and lal were all good. The only flaw in acting was trying Punjabi by Amir which didn't work out very well and was annoying at times. Jokes were good,made me chuckle All in all a good one time watch! Recommended 🙂
142 out of 290 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JUST WATCH IT!
sahebaazbanzara11 August 2022
People are reviewing it negatively without even watching it. Shame on such people. I loved the movie. As good as the original one. A worth watching remake.
330 out of 726 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the haters..Its a Beautiful Movie
pranilb-8854511 August 2022
Watched first day first show..Its not hard hitting emotion film like kgf and bahubali..rather its a beautiful Love Story,Which moves you ,touches your heart..Overall Its a Beautiful Movie we can say..
176 out of 358 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Really Don't Understand That, Why Aamir Khan Did This Stupid and Time Waste Movie ?
rahul00099416 August 2022
In Advait Chandan's Hindi adaptation of Forrest Gump, Aamir Khan is more alien-like than he was in PK. It's one thing to build a performance out of broad physical tics when you're playing an extraterrestrial. But when the protagonist is human-and someone whose mental agility is a beat slower than everyone else's-such mugging starts to seem grotesque. Laal Singh is an uncomfortable interpretation of a 'special' sort: eyes shining, head tilting, singsong voice, huge guileless smile. Khan is playing himself playing Tom Hanks playing the kind of savant figure that went out of fashion decades ago. It's beyond parody.

Laal Singh Chaddha is the first official remake, but Hindi films have long since stripped Forrest Gump for parts. Shah Rukh Khan played an autistic man with Gumpian overtones in My Name is Khan; one of the characters was even named Jenny. Salman Khan did the same in Tubelight. Aamir Khan's performance in PK now looks like a dry run for Laal Singh. As much as Chandan and Khan would like to count on Indian viewers' unfamiliarity with Forrest Gump, I don't think that's the case. This is a very old box of chocolates.

The confectionary metaphor is replaced by golgappas, but significant changes are few. Chandan and screenwriter Atul Kulkarni not only avoid major deviations, they treat Zemeckis' film like holy writ. Young Laal loses his leg braces in dramatic fashion while being chased by bullies, the same way Forrest does. Bala (Naga Chaitanya), Laal's friend in the army, has a prominent lower lip, like Forrest's friend Bubba. If Forrest is shot in the buttocks, Laal must be as well... and both eat ice-cream while recuperating.

A simple-minded, pure-hearted sort, Laal stumbles through four decades of Indian history, bouncing off epochal events without any understanding of them. A radio news broadcast announces the end of Emergency. Operation Bluestar plays out in the horrified expressions of a group of Sikhs watching from a distance. Laal and his family, posing for a photograph, turn at the sound of gunfire: Indira Gandhi has been assassinated. Sometimes Laal is a bemused bystander (watching LK Advani's rath yatra, or running past a fasting Anna Hazare), at other times a bemused participant (he fights in the Kargil War).

One of the delights of Forrest Gump was the way Hanks was deftly inserted into historical footage. Chandan keeps this to a minimum in his film, and limits Laal's interactions with real-life figures. It's a pity, for the one time he takes a big swing (another Khan is involved) it comes off rather well. Scenes play out beat for beat like the original. Forget watching-how boring it must be to make films this way.

Helping Laal along are a small group of well-wishers: his determined, loving mother (Mona Singh); Rupa (Kareena Kapoor Khan), his friend since childhood and lifelong love; Bala, who teaches him how to sew undergarments and unwittingly sets him on the road to creating a business empire. A rare example of creative adaptation sees the Lt. Dan character changed into an enemy soldier saved by Laal on the battlefield. Mohammad (Manav Vij) later becomes Laal's friend and business partner, but more importantly a vessel for the film to vaguely sermonize about the dangers of religious extremism.

Aamir Khan, 57 years old, spends a large portion of the film playing a man in his 20s and 30s (Hanks wasn't yet 40 when Gump filmed). His face looks unnatural, as if it's been passed through some kind of motion capture. This is vanity tending towards delusion, and it isn't helped by Kareena Kapoor looking the same age through the film. She's fine as the perennially unlucky Rupa, though Mona Singh is the sole affecting presence. It's moving to see Kamini Kaushal, who was acting back in undivided India, in a bit part-talk about living through history.

When you're running through decades of history without commenting on it, what you choose to mention or omit becomes of great significance. Every tumultuous event of the last 40 years is included in Laal Singh Chaddha: Bluestar, Mandal, the riots of 1984 and 1992-93, the war with Pakistan, 26/11. Everything, that is, except the 2002 Gujarat riots. It's an astonishing exclusion. Was it there in an earlier draft, perhaps even filmed ? Did the censors want it out ? Did Khan and Chandan figure no one would notice a missing pogrom? Late in the film, there's a lingering shot of a "Ab ki baar, Modi sarkar" election poster. An absence and an inclusion that reveal the film's political ambivalence for what it is: moral cowardice.
97 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good adaptation of Forest Gump
gautam-moharil15 August 2022
Right at the start they acknowledge that the film is an adaptation of Forrest Gump. And this is a fair adaptation. The Operation Blue Star, Kargil war and the demolition of Babri masjid were woven in well. Barring the over the top acting by Aamir Khan this was a good film.
48 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome remake full of empathy for humanity
criscrossin12 August 2022
Loved the movie which keeps the spirit of humanity throughout. Acting is good but Amir is sometimes bordering on clowning a bit, could have toned down his dumb act a bit. All else is good. Definitely worth a see.
204 out of 465 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie
ak-6633513 August 2022
Good movie to watch with family. Aamir Khan keeps you entertianed through the movie. The character is so well played. You will wonder till the end if this character is good or bad. Amir khan has also done really good. The costume of all the characters and the vfx of the movie is superb. Kareena Kapoor Khan has very little role as a warrior was good but lacked facial expression during emotional scenes. Overall a good movie.
140 out of 304 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie
shahforbooking11 August 2022
Worst movie ever made dont waste money if you have watched forest gump.

Direction is weak Storyline is copied songs are not up to the mark It's not a family entertainer ,
405 out of 704 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PATHETIC
achawla-4452811 August 2022
Not worth wasting money. Better watch Hollywood version original. Tomhanks looks awesome. Hope better movie like RRR are made in future. Aamir perfectionist needs improvement.
410 out of 779 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Disappointing
ashishnaik-8621311 August 2022
Very cheap version of the Original movie. Very slow screenplay. Unnecessary things are forced to the movie. Lack of logic, lack of emotions. No effect of role of Karina Kapoor.

Bad acting by Amir Khan.
280 out of 543 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb movie
ibrahim_mayat12 August 2022
Best to watch with whole family, I took my entire family to see this easy and indian interpretation of Forrest Gump movie and everyone absolutely loved this movie. I personally went to see SRK and Atul Kulkarni's way of storytelling.
144 out of 326 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It takes 4 years and Aamir to make LSC
mangalamitash14 August 2022
How do you remake a movie that has 6 Oscars, iconic status and Tom Hanks. You don't, except if you are Aamir Khan. He is a genius.

In a parallel universe, Laal Singh Chaddha was made first and Forrest Gump later, and it still wouldn't have made a difference. Zemeckis, Roth and Hank have no reasons to be disappointed, in fact they would be very proud. Laal Singh Chaddha is very Indian at heart while it does keep the soul of Forest Gump alive, it does not try to imitate or be just a remake. You can clearly see where the four years of making has gone into, where every scene is impeccably put, screenplay is outstanding, story adapted to our times and the central protagonist.

The movie would be a hard sell given the times we live in, but I feel somewhere Aamir already knows that and is not expecting a huge commercial success. I think he is hoping that we, as a society, find our common sub-consciousness again.

The movie is not what sells today, high adrenaline dopamine hit experiences. There is also nothing wrong with Bollywood and it doesn't need saving. It has earned its place under the sun. Had the common man walked along the path that Aamir put us in 2001 (with DCH, Lagaan) and his following movies, we would be able the comprehend the genius that is LSC. As a generation that thinks it is more aware, hope it doesn't take another 10 years for us to appreciate this piece of art.

One thing I found hard to digest (in trailers) was Kareena Kapoor Khan, but as the movie progressed and neared the end, you could see why. You needed a Kareena to play Laal's Rupa. And thankfully Aamir saw that before us. She clearly shows why she is still the best and above the current generation of actresses.

People calling for a boycott of the movie because of their feelings towards Aamir should go meet Laal Singh Chaddha. They will come back humbled and reformed.
68 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good movie of it's own if you don't compare with the source material
roy-20098714 August 2022
Finally watched the movie yesterday (13th August) along with my wife. To be honest, I didn't go with much expectation. Yes, this time I didn't rely on any review, be it in IMDB or any media for obvious reason, but I myself wasn't very much happy with the trailer. Still I went for two reasons- 1) To honor the original 'Forrest Gump'; 2) To honor an attempt to make a good Bollywood movie.

The hall was more than half empty even on a Saturday evening. The movie started and I sensed that people around me (including my love) are liking it, even those weird grunts from Aamir. However, me, already dissatisfied with the trailer and obsessed with the original cult classic, was actually waiting for the moment when i would start hating this movie. And the movie went on, then came the interval. And I was surprised, didn't realize when 80 minutes have passed by, and let alone hate it, I was actually starting to like this movie. But I was still waiting for the second half, because in some of the reviews I had read that the movie gets worse there. But eventually I gave up, I cannot hate this movie. In fact, no one can hate it unless that person is biased (either for the obsession towards the original movie or some other reason). When it ended and lights were turned on, I sensed satisfaction in everyone's face in the hall. This movie is good, definitely not as good as the original one (not even possible), but it is good enough tribute to Forrest.

If I try to think about the plus points, first thing comes in my mind is Mona Singh. She was just superb as Lal's Mother. The way she has portrayed a single mother's helplessness yet determination, is sublime. Also Manav Vij was good as Lt Dan's Bollywood counterpart. The cinematography was superb, each and every frame was made with utter care, like painting a picture. You might be happy to see some of your familiar places on screen. Even the brief war sequence was portrayed with such a detail and in such a realistic way, many dedicated war movies could take note of it. Apart from that, the make-up artist did a fabulous job, especially portraying the ageing characters. Music was superb. Some good social messages were there related to vices like family violence, terrorism, religious intolerance etc. Also it touches many historical events. Those who are boycotting this movie might actually be happy to see some of their beloved persons on screen, and definitely not in a disrespectful way. And like the original one, the biggest strength of this movie is it's simplicity. Watching this movie was as pleasing like eating a good meal, or reading a good book, or travelling to a picturesque location or listening to a good music. You won't realize when the time has passed by.

Now coming to the area of improvements. First thing as many have pointed (and I agree), was Amir's acting. Even if I ignore the similarity with some of his earlier characters, it was simply not good. Many times the overacting was cringeworthy. But despite of that, it is also true that his bad acting doesn't harm the movie that much. Second weak point in my opinion was Kareena. She looked good as always, but somehow she lacked the energy. Her acting could be much better in some of the definitive sequences. Also it was felt that she has actually aged over 40, even through the character's early 20 make-ups and glamorous dresses. Now it might be my mistake or because we know how she used to actually look in her 20's (For example, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham), but I wanted to honestly express what I felt (but let me be very clear here, I have no problem with actresses aging, I am not among those who think actresses finish when they age). Apart from that some big plot holes were there. I have already mentioned Manav Vij was very good as Lt Dan bollywood counterpart, but that character was not at all believable even though it was heart touching (I won't spoil the movie by describing why, you will realize if you watch the movie). Apart from that the movie never addresses important facts like what Rupa (Kareena) did during almost a decade (2000 - somewhere around 2010/ 2012), or how Lal used to manage his industrial empire from Pathankot. But the biggest weakness what I felt was the historical events depicted. Firstly, it casually touches many incidents, like just showing it as Lal hearing it from someone. Showing events in such way actually don't have any impact on viewer's mind. Many powerhouse incidents actually couldn't be felt because of it. Also another fact is that many recent incidents were shown, but as you know recent incidents actually have lesser impact on human mind than historical events. I was actually expecting a period piece here, starting from 1947 (the partition), ending in the 90's. However, that's totally my own opinion, you may agree or disagree.

So to summarize, go and watch the movie. You won't regret. It definitely deserves a much better rating than it actually got (Should have been around 7/10).

My personal rating - 7.5/10.
81 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome movie
salmankhan-1858513 August 2022
To be very honest,after reading the critics reviews i was expecting this movie to be below average but it forces me to think how Amir khan can come up with a movie with so much criticism that actually compel me to have a look into the movie. After watching it i found it worth watching and i came to know why people were criticizing it.
164 out of 376 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding
banditam13 August 2022
One of the best movies ever! And Yes, I have seen Forest Gump. This movie shows India beautifully and it truly touches the heart. Ignore the hatred fueled boycott gang leaving a 1 star review - without watching the movie-- we all know which political party fuels this and will benefit from such trolls. THIS MOVIE IS BRILLIANT and if anything it encourages love and nationalism towards our beautiful nation- India. GO WATCH IT GUYS!
69 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes bro! Better than the original brah!
Beyondtherain12 August 2022
Im American and just saw the Iraq India version of Forest Gump! It was lit brah! I just left the theater at Los Angeles California America bro! I clapped at the end and cried! I never thought they could pull it off! I was wrong.
158 out of 372 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You can't remake a classic
saurabhthirani11 August 2022
The disaster was imminent. Why even try and remake one the greatest movies of all times. Forest Gump was a near perfect film with Tom Hanks delivering one of his finest performances.

Cut to Aamir Khan trying to replicate the same performance. The best way to understand how horribly wrong Aamir went with his over-the-top acting is to look at Naga Chaitanya's Bala, an Army recruit Laal befriends on the bus to the training camp. Aside from replacing the shrimping business with a chaddi-banyan ka business, Chay's Bala is as over the top as Mykelti Williamson's Bubba. He is a Tamilian with a typical 'South-Indian' accent the rest of India has always stereotyped it with. Yet, Chay lives it, and how! His sincerity and surrender to the material and director's vision show in every scene, which ensures his act doesn't tip over and look like a mockery. Naga Chaitanya though skillfully ensures his act doesn't look caricaturish like Aamir's in Laal Singh Chaddha.

Gary Sinise's Lieutenant Dan is entirely gobbled up and replaced with Manav Vij's Mohammad, a terrorist Laal rescued in Kargil simply out of the goodness of his heart, oblivious to the fact that he was the 'enemy'. Even as Mohammad follows Dan's trajectory through the rest of the film - co-founding Bala's chaddi-banyan ka business with Laal, and no points for guessing what they named the super-successful brand (ahem!) - the symbolism of establishing the enemy as the friend is far too stretched, and frankly implausible even in a suspended-disbelief state.

And less said the better about Kareena Kapoor's performance.

Overall give it a miss. And now I can clearly understand why Aamir had to literally plead with Indians to watch his film.
189 out of 371 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece Movie.
anwaramaan-8286114 August 2022
Masterpiece Movie. One of the best movie of 2022. Mind Blowing adaptation of Forest Gump. Perfect direction and great acting by all the actors , specially amir khan. A must watch movie for everyone. Please dont go with the negative reviews (10/10).
64 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie
purvigupta-2112012 August 2022
Very nice movie i really enjoyed it alot. Climax are very nice. Great movie. Must watch. Story was decent and action was top noch.definitely recommend to watch this movie. I really happy to watch this film.
90 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blockbuster
bijaydas-5155512 August 2022
Super entertainer of 2022. Story was good but picture is very long because of the songs but yaa overall full powerpack performance by amir..... I strongly recommend this movie to everyone......
102 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very nice movie
pappuansari-8464113 August 2022
Laal singh chaddaha is meant to entertain, and it succeeds in doing that. It's a fun, colorful action-adventure epic which will not let you down. This is complete fun. I really loved it.
108 out of 241 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.