He's Just Not That Into You (2009) Poster

The chick flick with a little bit more in the tank
cosmorados14 March 2009
The film starts with a little girl in a playground getting bullied by a boy, and her mother telling her that this means that the boy likes her, setting up the premise that the more a guy treats a woman like dirt, the more she'll hang around on the phone waiting for his call. From this point we follow the relationship woes of six (no eight, nine, is it ten?) different people and their relationships ups and downs, as one guy is trapped in a loveless marriage, one couple realise they want different things and one woman who is trying to figure out how to play the dating game, the stories cross and intertwine and from this comical situations ensue.

Now, from the tone of the last part of that sentence you may well have come to the conclusion that this is just another standard romantic comedy chick-flick, and, on paper, it should be. But it's not. The script is very similar in tone and feel to "When Harry met Sally" with "supposed" regular people introducing each chapter of the film, the insights are decent and the dialogue contains a lot of honesty that I think many people can relate to. The cast are all first rate with special attention going to Ben Affleck, who has so needed a good role in front of the camera for ages, and Jennifer Aniston as the couple who can't move forward, also good are Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Connolly in their respective roles. The big star turns for me though are Ginnifer Goodwin and Justin Long as the hapless dater and the hapless dating coach, who are really good. For Long it's another step up the Hollywood ranks (pretty much the direction he's been heading since "Dodgeball") and for Goodwin it is a star-making turn that should do for her what "knocked-up" did for Heigl.

The film of course has a number of elements and outcomes that are extremely predictable (it IS a romantic comedy) but there's enough other stuff in there, and definite surprises at the end, to make it more than just the sum of its parts. It's charming, clever and, when viewed with a pantomime-style audience that I saw it with, a lot of fun, and I'm a guy! A cross between "When Harry met Sally" and "Friends" that doesn't try and jump on the gross-out comedy bandwagon.

Good stuff
87 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are we really that bad?
Bill Jordan7 February 2009
My girlfriend and I, both at or approaching our 50's, saw this in a theater that was absolutely filled with high school girls. That surprised me actually, given that most of the stars in this film are well-beyond high-school age. But they, like the rest of the audience, seemed to really enjoy this film, as did we. The relationships were nicely intertwined without being contrived ("Crash" anyone?), and unlike the similar movie "Love Actually," nothing portrayed was too outlandish. The convention of adding comments by "real" people to introduce story lines was well done and amusing. If I find any fault with the film, it's that all of the guys are presented as having relationship "issues" or as being total bone-heads. Hopefully there are more "nice guys" interspersed in society than what this film might lead you to believe (though I must say that the attitudes presented are definitely not inaccurate).

Overall, a very nice film whose 2 hour plus running time goes by rather quickly. If you've ever been in or tried to be in a relationship, you'll probably enjoy this movie.
187 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm Just Not That Into This Movie
evanston_dad8 June 2009
A limp ensemble relationship movie that feels like the frustrated venting of a bitter single girl after a blind date gone badly awry.

This is the kind of movie where a bunch of 20 and 30-somethings own beautiful loft apartments they couldn't possibly afford and struggle with relationship issues that are just boring to watch other people grapple with if you yourself are over the age of 30. Once again we're expected to accept Jennifer Aniston as a sad sack who can't get a date after she dumps the long-time boyfriend (Ben Affleck, playing not so much a character as a woman's fantasy made real) who won't commit to marriage. Ginnifer Goodwin is the doormat who can't figure out why guys won't call her even though they say they will. Justin Long is terribly miscast as a womanizer who doesn't know when he's fallen in love himself (I can't look at him without seeing the image of his dork from "Dodgeball" getting hit in the face with a wrench, which is not far from what I wanted to do to his character in this movie). Jennifer Connelly and Bradley Cooper are the lone married couple in the film, and because this is a Hollywood movie about relationships, of course the married couple MUST be miserable. Scarlett Johanssen is a bombshell with giant knockers that I couldn't take my eyes off of; Drew Barrymore might as well not be in the movie, and only is because a.) she co-produced it and b.) the filmmakers needed a forum in which to introduce a bunch of stock gay characters. You want to throttle pretty much everyone by the time the movie's over; I settled for thanking God I didn't have to be friends with any of them.

Though the film was only written by two people, it has the feeling of something written by committee. Characters aren't consistent or believable; those played by Goodwin and Connelly more often than not come across as mentally ill. In the world of this film, there are only two kinds of marriages: the ones that end in adultery and bitterness, or the ones that end in a ridiculously romanticized version of happily-ever-after. No wonder so many people have trouble making marriages work if they're using films like this as examples.

What a dud, and probably solid evidence that movies shouldn't be adapted from smug and jokey self-help books written by jackass talk show hosts.

Grade: C+
163 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring clichèlike romantic comedy
pickle_in_pyjamas3 June 2009
Yup, this is pretty much like every other romantic comedy out there. It has all the clichés and the usual buildup, resulting in a happy ending. Im a guy, so maybe this isn't really meant for me, but I found this movie really boring, and more a kind of movie you see with your girlfriend.

It lacks inventfulness and seems to rely on the famous actors in it to get its point through. Other than that, it pretty much isn't about what the title suggests it is. Its more or less a typical guy meets girl love story with small additions of a plot. It tries, and fails, to get through that guys who are mean to girls, aren't trying to flirt with them, but actually just don't like them. However, the movie completely fades away from this plot and gets too busy describing the several subplots ( already established relationships between the characters)

It may not have been a 2, but I would rather give it that so that people don't get the wrong idea and watch this movie hoping it will be funny, I actually did not laugh once...
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to slap them all upside the head
synsueson15 February 2009
I have just come from this movie. When will I learn not to pay money to see movies like this? When will directors learn that a good ensemble movie is very hard to make? Where is Robert Altman when you need him? I found it extremely hard to relate to or to find sympathy for the characters. Some of their actions were so unbelievably stupid that I just wanted to smack them. And what shallow lives they lived! Work, bar-hopping and texting. Character development was equally shallow. What epiphany did the Justin Long character undergo to realize that he was really "into" the Ginnifer Goodwin character? One confused meeting with the wait staff does not an epiphany make. The same goes for the Jennifer Aniston character realizing what a catch Ben Affleck's character was. So he washed some dishes. And why did he suddenly want to marry her....Because she suddenly didn't want to??? I would have thrown that engagement ring at his head. And what did the Jennifer Connelly character ever see in that wishy-washy (although good-looking) chump of a husband? The Scarlett Johansson character needed some serious therapy for that self-involvement problem of hers (or maybe a good slap upside the head). I guess the best thing about the movie is that it has given me a forum to write just how lackluster it was. I guess that will have to do.
50 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be...
rolltide8513 February 2009
I didn't have high expectations for this movie. I never read the book HJNTIY (seemed pretty self explanatory by the title alone) and I wasn't really sure how it could be made into a film, but I'll say I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

That being said, this is a CHICK FLICK--not a date movie. So don't be surprised by all the negative reviews written by guys--of course they can't stand it, and I definitely wouldn't try dragging your boyfriend to go see it for Valentine's Day...this is a movie you want to see with the girls. I wasn't that interested in seeing it, but I was talked into it and it was the perfect 2 hour distraction. The cast is fun to watch--Jennifer Anniston, Ginnifer Goodwin, and Jennifer Connelly are delightful on screen together, and I even take back all the bad things I've said about Ben Affleck--I thought he was a perfect fit for this movie.

It's also a very funny movie--I'm one of those people who love going to a packed theater where everyone laughs on cue and claps at the end, and this was one of those experiences. Some of the lines are priceless, and a couple of the funniest scenes in the movie involve "street interviews" à la Sex and the City Season 1. It's just an easy, fun, entertaining film--just relax and enjoy yourself, and don't try to hold this movie to a standard that it wasn't designed to meet. I'd go see it in a packed theater if you can, otherwise wait for the DVD and have a girls' night in!
48 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Young people must have a hard time recently
Ray H.23 July 2009
Having a partner/sweetheart and getting married seem very difficult recently. All people in this film are occupied by the thought from morning to night every day. I was wondering if there is any other interests for them: job? school? hobbies? money? faith? dedications to others? dream other than opposite sex? Yes! They must have one(s). But due to the poor description of each personality in the script, all of them look rather foolish and shallow. Everybody may not live alone, so the theme in this film must be important. Only if the script had given other deep and various factors to each personality, this comedy would have been really funny and interesting. Though the cast is gorgeous, it is a pity that those actors cannot fully present their charms and acting skills.

A friend of mine on the thirties (single) told me that he loved this film because the tactics and bargaining between men and women really hit close to him. Young people on the ground might find this film interesting and useful. Older generation like me tend to think love affairs should be more direct and frank, spoiled by the old movies where men and women get into romance so easily. Well-mannered and more refined, nowadays young people must have a harder time.

By the way, the Japanese title of this film is funny: "Why Don't You Throw Him Away If He Is Such A Guy."
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"He's Just Not That Into You" maybe???
Seifer00624 March 2009
The opening scene to the film was a good set up, the idea behind the film is very true, I think most people have experienced this at some point in their lives, however, after about the first fifteen minutes maybe even less, it takes that premise and turns it into predictable, soppy and corny. There are some notable mentions I think, Drew Barrymore's brief cameo had some funny bits in it, and I also enjoyed Jennifer Connolly's performance, although due to the amount of characters, these two did not get enough screen time.

Another issue I had with the movie seemed to be the star power that was put into it. There were too many names, too many characters and in the end it spoiled the movie, trying to be like CRASH or one of those interconnected movies, this fails on all counts.

Some of the actors in this movie who I love such as Bradley Cooper (of ALIAS fame) was horrible, that being said his material left a lot to be desired.

AND FINALLY THE WORST PART OF THE LOT!!! the ending. After watching these people not be into each other 3/4 of the people end up together, which is why there is a kudos for Jennifer Connolly's character for being alone in the end. In conclusion the movie is just not that worth your time or money DON'T BOTHER.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a bad date movie
ciscokid197012 May 2009
It is rare for a Boy meets girl movie to please people now days. I mean lets face it Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle set the bar so high that anything else will pale in comparison.

But to me this movie kind of shows now modern relationships work or don't work. If anything is a falter in this story it is that it trys to hard to show too many stories.

Sure there is X likes Y but Y likes Z but Z is married to A. Which is always entertaining.

Then there is the Ben Affleck / Jeniffer Aniston couple that may sum up most of the "couples" I know.

The whole mentioning of "new dating rules" is kind of cool to see that cell phones, emails, myspace and speeddating have replaced and re-written the rules for dating...and in some way made it harder not easier. Some people says this movie is full of stereotypes. In my opinion it covers just about all the realities in dating...especially dating in fast paced big city life.

What I liked though is the movie balanced "The Bad Guy" with "Bad Girl" Showing that there are breakups faulted by both sides. And there are regretful feelings for both Women and Men.

I would say rent it, hopefully you are not watching it alone.
51 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Am So Into This Movie!
Grissom669 April 2009
A group of interconnected, Baltimore-based twenty- and thirty-somethings navigate their various relationships from the shallow end of the dating pool through the deep, murky waters of married life, trying to read the signs of the opposite sex... and hoping to be the exceptions to the "no-exceptions" rule.

Gigi just wants a man who says he'll call—and does—while Alex advises her to stop sitting by the phone. Beth wonders if she should call it off after years of committed singlehood with her boyfriend, Neil, but he doesn't think there's a single thing wrong with their unmarried life. Janine's not sure if she can trust her husband, Ben, who can't quite trust himself around Anna. Anna can't decide between the sexy married guy, or her straightforward, no-sparks standby, Conor, who can't get over the fact that he can't have her. And Mary, who's found an entire network of loving, supportive men, just needs to find one who's straight.

If you've ever sat by the phone wondering why he said he would call, but didn't, or if you can't figure out why she doesn't want to sleep with you anymore, or why your relationship just isn't going to the next level... he (or she) is just not that into you. He's Just Not That Into You 7/10
53 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy God that was terrible
Lance Manly8 June 2009
Before I can even begin a criticism of the movie I have to ask: How can woman enjoy, and support, this film? The movie portrays women has whiny, desperate, and pathetic creatures who do nothing besides gossip and give each other relationship pep talks. The scenes where Jennifer Anniston, Jennifer Connelly, and Ginnifer Goodwin are in the office where they are employed are perfect examples of this. Despite being educated, professional women, instead of working, they spend all their time discussing their relationships and consoling one another. As a young adult male I can honestly say that this is the kind of portrayal of women which makes men not take them seriously. The fact that women support and like this movie only gives further credence to these clearly prejudiced beliefs. So again how can women support a movie which portrays them so poorly? It makes about as much sense to me as Muslims supporting a movie about three young, college educated Arab men who work in the same office and spend all of their time making bombs and planning terrorist attacks.

Now that that's out of the way, my major problem with the movie is that it has easily the worst script ever committed to screen. There is not an original bit of dialogue to be found anywhere. All of the characters are completely generic and unoriginal. Ginnifer Goodwin plays the crazily desperate woman, Jennifer Connelly is the woman who is cheated on, Benn Affleck plays the man scared of commitment, and Kevin Connolly plays the man chasing the woman who he will never get... I could go on, but honestly, why bother? The only exception to this is Drew Barrymore's character, which plays no important role in the movie at all. It seems like she went to the producers after the movie was already completed and said: "Hey I want to be in this movie, I'll pay you fifty million dollars if you give me a part." They agreed, shot two scenes where three multi-racial, stereotypical gay men give her dating advice and pep talks, and one scene where she and Kevin Connolly fall for each other completely out of the blue and for no other reason than that every major character needed to be in a couple when the movie ended.

The other major flaw with the movie is that it is one of those rare romantic comedies which manages to be completely and totally devoid of humor. I only chuckled twice during the movie. Twice. In two hours. Two chuckles, not even real laughs, just quiet chuckles. Two…

Finally, it was obvious to me immediately after glancing at the DVD case that the movie was going to be clever and totally original combination of Sex and the City and Love Actually. I was right. To conclude, the surest sign that this movie was awful is that my girlfriend, who loved Sex and the City and Love Actually, fell asleep for fifteen minutes during the movie.
57 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice acting, well directed. An excellent time-pass
Ram Logan12 February 2009
After seeing the trailers you get a feel for what sort of a movie this is going to be. And the movie is exactly that - Nice romantic comedy.

I usually prefer to watch such movies only in TV or DVD but gave this a try simply for the star cast - Scarlett, Jennifer Anniston and Connelly, Drew Barrymore, Ben Affleck, Justin Long etc..But the person who stole the show was Ginnifer Goodwin. She had a bubbly enthusiasm about her character which made you root for her till the end. Connelly's role looked very similar to her role in "Little Children" Scarlet was OK. Barrymore's role was minuscule but her pun about technology was humorous. And Anniston is finally looking her age :-( The movie was just the right length. Mildly funny but mostly romantic. All in all an excellent pop corn movie.
37 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and Mostly True
nyshrink9 February 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, as did the group of female friends I attended it with. It was well-written, well-acted, and funny.

I think the reason some people, er, men, didn't like it was because it portrays some men as lying cheats, others as terrified of intimacy, and some as weirdos. In short, the basic variety any woman runs into on Match.com. Then there were a couple of stand-up guy characters. Were parts of the plot formulaic? Sure. It's a movie. There were a few surprises, however.

All of the female characters were likable, which is a switch from standard Hollywood sexism. The acting was above average and I was pleasantly surprised by Scarlett Johannson's performance. I only didn't like Ginnifer Goodwin's slapstick-style performance as a desperate dater. A little subtlety would have made her character more poignant and more believable.

The film really does contain a lot of good advice for people in the dating scene, both men and women.
48 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shallow, Clichéd Pseudo Comedy
kayla_estrella27 February 2009
Never have men seemed so shallow or women so idiotic as in "He's Just Not That Into You." This attempt at romantic comedy falls desperately flat. For a film that wants so badly to be a lighthearted comedy, the laughs here are manufactured and weak. Random pop culture references and platitudes pepper this movie like a minefield, leaving its viewers stone-faced.

Several different characters are shown here in various relationships, and bizarrely collide by the end of the film. Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin) is typecast as the desperate woman who sits by her phone for days waiting for that guy from the bar to call her back. This empty portrayal alone is enough to garner offense from women everywhere. She's shown as a sad, immature woman who has nothing better to do than to wait for Mr. Right.

Then there's Beth (Jennifer Anniston) who is in a long-term relationship with Neil (Ben Affleck), who refuses to walk down the aisle. Beth is the stereotypical woman longing to drag her man to the altar. Jump to Ben (Bradley Cooper) and Janine (Jennifer Connelly), who are unhappily married, yet avoid addressing the obvious. Believe it or not, Ben is led astray by a blonde bombshell in the form of Anna (Scarlett Johansson). This collaboration of boring, typical connections is nothing that hasn't been seen and done before.

"He's Just Not That Into You" is derived from a book by the same name, written by Greg Behrendt. The basic premise of this book is to educate women of the fact that men are dishonest jerks who seek to take advantage of them and/or break their hearts. Somehow, this man has managed to not only make a killing with his mind-numbing book, but also to capitalize on it by bringing it to the big screen. The by-product of this is a sad excuse for a romantic comedy.

The cast of "He's Just Not That Into You" reads like a who's who of Hollywood. Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Anniston and Justin Long are just a few of the A-listers seen here. This simply adds to the mystery of why this movie is such a catastrophe. Apparently no amount of talent could have kept it afloat. The flat script, the forced humor, the clichéd situations and the confused intertwining of the characters all add to this disparaging production.

Although it is disguised as a fun loving date movie, "He's Just Not That Into You" spends most of its hour and a half running time over-analyzing simple encounters, patronizing and generalizing both sexes, and placing stereotypes everywhere. The concept of love is sent through the shredder and comes out completely destroyed on the other side. "He's Just Not That Into You" vainly attempted to be touching and warm hearted, but comes across as bitter and contrived.

Possibly if viewers check their brain at the door, they can enjoy this film. Otherwise, save your money and your dignity by skipping this mushy mess.

Grade: D
123 out of 229 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm SO INTO this movie!
TomCruiseFan9912 February 2009
This sumptuous ensemble romantic comedy managed to exceed my expectations in every way. It was extremely hilarious and utterly realistic, and features an eclectic cast that all add something different to this intriguing tale of dealing with the pitfalls of dating and marriage.

The story begins with Gigi. After a first date, she becomes mildly obsessive waiting for the guy to call her during the week after. But he doesn't and this is the catalyst that eventually proceeds to link all the characters together in interconnected plot lines that range from funny and sweet, (Drew Barrymore's character bemoaning the fact that there's so much technology out there and she's managed to get dumped via email, MySpace and SMS) to tragic and heartbreaking (Ben Afflleck and Jennifer Aniston's characters not seeing eye to eye on getting married and so she would rather throw away their 7 year old relationship).

Scarlet Johansson also plays a pivotal role, that of a single woman who has a friend pining for her, but she would rather try and tempt a married man who himself is going through a rough patch with his wife, played to perfection by Jennifer Connelly. The way that this love-quadrangle plays out forms the basis for the realism factor, and while there are some sweet and tender moments, it's ultimately a tragedy that you can see is coming, because for this foursome, 2 people are gonna get hurt. And this plot line is expertly written.

Justin Long provides the voice of reason fashioned on the book on which the movie is based. His character, Alex, is the advice-dispensing guide who takes Gigi under his wing and tries to reveal all the ins and outs of dating dos and don'ts. And this masterstroke is how the movie becomes a guide just like the book, while also telling a story that many of us will see ourselves in.

The acting is all pretty faultless, with Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Connelly, Brendan Cooper and Justing Long displaying some of their best work. Scarlet is as stunning as ever, and plays the temptress well, but Barrymore is sadly underutilized. In total, I think she might only have 10 minutes worth of screen time, but she does use it well.

And I wouldn't go so far to call this a 'chick flick', as I think there's just as much enjoyment and knowledge to be gained from this movie for us guys as there is for women. All in all, a perfect date movie.
50 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most romantic comedy fans will get "into" this fine flick and take home that feelgood spirit
Amy Adler11 February 2009
Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin) is searching for her true love in the city of Baltimore. As she is set up by friends and co-workers, she often takes a shine to her dates but, frequently, the gentlemen involved never call her again. This could be, in part, because Gigi leaves phone and text messages for her dates to the point of scaring any caring men away. Meanwhile, a married twosome, Ben and Janine (Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Connelly) are restoring a lovely townhouse but having personal problems. This is compounded by the fact that hubby meets a yoga instructor-aspiring singer, Anna (Scarlett Johanssen) at a corner grocery and is smitten. Despite his protestations that he is married, the two meet again. Also in the "raven" city is a longtime-together couple, Beth (Jennifer Aniston) and Neil (Ben Affleck) who are at odds, too, for Beth longs for marriage and Neil, despite his love for his lady, doesn't care for formalities. Finally, bar manager Alex (Justin Long) cynically gives advice to Gigi about men, real estate salesman Conor (Kevin Connolly) pines for Anna and newspaper ad-lady Mary (Drew Barrymore) is trying to make a love connection for herself, too. Will these fine folks get their "hearts desires" when it comes to amour? This is a fine, fine romantic comedy with an edge often missing from the standard fare. Yes, the characters in this film are searching for happily ever after but learn that reality may fall a bit short, sometimes. The ensemble cast is truly wonderful, with all of the actors giving nice turns as the romance seekers. But, then, they all have great lines to deliver, as the script is loaded with truth, laughs, and pathos. One surprise is that the Baltimore setting is absolutely lovely, especially the fine old apartment buildings where the characters dwell and the beautiful coast. Seeing these venues might tempt someone to book their next mini-vacation in this fine old town. However, the costumes are a mixed-bag, with Johannsen appearing gorgeous beyond measure and Goodwin looking fine, too, but J. Connelly sporting clothes that stifle her great beauty. On the other hand, the film's snappy direction and fine production values are assets. The bottom line is that while the film will please romcom enthusiasts it will also entertain those who usually attend movies of this genre with reluctance. Most filmgoers will get "into" this one and take home that feelgood spirit.
27 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly rotten!
naillon-212 December 2010
Really, how do movies like this even make it past the idea stage? This movie is chock-full of all the worst stereotypes about women and men: 1. Women are desperate to be in relationships.

2. Women in relationships are desperate to get married.

3. Married women are deeply unhappy.

4. Single women egg each other on to have affairs with married men.

5. Married men meet hot single women and promptly have affairs with them.

6. Single women have large support groups of gay men.

7. Men in relationships never want to get married.

8. Women in relationships can only get married if they threaten to leave the relationship unless it leads to marriage.

9. Single women are eager to throw themselves at single men who haven't given even a sign of interest.

10. Everyone out there has a soul mate on hand.

Jennifer Aniston may be acceptable as an actress, but one of the easiest ways to kill as movie, is to cast her in it. She has a long string of thoroughly awful movies to her credit. Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Connelly, and Scarlett Johansson are very talent actresses, who are simply wasting their time in this waste of two hours.

This movie is one of the worst I have ever seen; it was playing on a long-haul flight, and my choices were to watch the movie, or watch the kid across the aisle and one row up puking into his blanket. It was a tough call.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is JUST horrible!
romaie372 May 2009
I have never seen a movie more blatantly depict gender stereotypes; and am outraged that these women (Johanson, Berrymore, etc.) could play such demeaning roles when in "real life" they are supposed to be so strong and independent. The only way that the producers could afford such a sparkling cast was because of all the product placements. I felt like I was watching a commercial…American Sprits and Marlboro cigarettes, Petron??? The women did not have any other interests besides men. Is this the way that I am supposed to be, am I supposed to wait by the phone for a man to call me. I guess the only way for me to find true happiness is to have a boyfriend. Apparently there is only one kind of gay man: Flamboyant and Feminine, but gay relationships are totally different from straight relationships??? This movie was just upsetting,I feel like cinema has regressed by 50 years in terms of women having power/intelligence.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU" -- But you'll likely quite get into THIS! =
jimchudnow-13 February 2009
Since I'd expected mainly "fluff", I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that this film was instead an unusually WELL-DONE ensemble piece. There's a bunch of periodically-intertwined stories of different people looking for, avoiding and trying to improve love in their lives, with unanticipated twists, turns and revelations along the way. GINNIFER GOODWIN plays a needy woman who naively believes the lines she's fed, and JUSTIN LONG tries to clue her in reality-wise. JENNIFER ANISTON & BEN AFFLECK play a long-term couple with problems. SCARLETT JOHANSSON flits in & out of the lives of numerous people including KEVIN CONNOLLY & BRADLEY COOPER. DREW BARRYMORE, JENNIFER CONNELLY, KRIS KRISTOFFERSON and others effectively add to the mix. As a friend commented, he'd expected this to be a chick flick, & instead it was an unexpectedly thought-provoking and telling commentary on life today, with characters who strongly reminded him of numerous people he HIMSELF knows. While a drama, it's got a good deal of inherent humor, fine acting, and you'll likely find it strongly enjoyable.
27 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the Suck
piratecannon27 December 2012
For Valentine's Day, I decided that, being the loving husband that I am, I'd take Erica to a movie she wanted to see for once. Going in, I tried to have an open mind. I genuinely enjoyed Love Actually, and the reviews I'd read of HJNTIY suggested it had some striking similarities. I think I can make this a little more succinct than my typical reviews, so I'll sum it up in 17 words and then provide some very brief thoughts.

HJNTIY is awkward, sadistic, and ultimately a garbled mess that has no real payoff at its conclusion.

Almost every one of the 6 or so leading characters is borderline psychotic. The movie thinks it's clever because it identifies some women's need to sit impatiently by a phone, hoping that a guy she shared a drink with two nights earlier will call, but it comes off as being forced and obnoxious. As a matter of fact, I was hoping that the aforementioned character (whose name slips me, but trust me, it doesn't really matter) would have her obsessive/compulsive hopes for true romance dashed sometime during the final act. Of course, as is the case with most romcoms, the exact opposite happens. This in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems like she learns absolutely nothing through the process–she simply takes other people's advice without thinking, and her soon-to-be-boyfriend falls into her lap in a rather unconvincing way–she has a meltdown at his apartment after she realizes that he's not initially interested in her, and, by some unexplained miracle, this tantrum makes him realize what an idiot he's been. Puh-lease.

In addition, various scenes of the film are "spliced" with strangely out of place sequences of random people looking directly into the camera and discussing their own relationship experiences.

Of course, there are one or two funny scenes, but these are few and far between. What seemed to be the ultimate demise of the film is that it tiptoed a fine line somewhere between existing as a comedy and a drama. In the end, it descends into an almost soap-opera-like existence, with one tragedy or triumph constantly (and fairly unrealistically) topping its immediate predecessor.

After the movie ended, Erica wasn't really all that impressed either (which is, in all honestly, the true death knell of a movie such as HJNTIY). When the intended audience finds it all repetitive and ho-hum, it's fairly clear that the end is nigh.

Ironically, HJNTIY becomes the very thing its conclusion pretends to rail against–"the rule," to use its own relationship lingo. In the world of romcoms, it's a movie that's certainly not the exception.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dialog straight from any middle-school hallway
lopingbuzzard16 February 2009
"I think he likes me! Why doesn't he call?" "I think she likes me! Should I call her?"

There must be about 100 characters that this movie asks us to care about and keep track of who knows who, who works with who, who's sleeping with who, who USED to sleep with who, who's a friend of a friend... I frankly just didn't care about any of these people enough to try to keep track of all their relationships and juvenile dating games.

My wife assured me it wasn't a "chick-flick" and that even men who see it learn something. Right. Here's what I learned:

1 - People are stupid. 2 - Most men are jerks. 3 - Most women are insane.

Can we go see "Taken" now?
105 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He's Just Not That Into You Movie Review from The Massie Twins
GoneWithTheTwins5 February 2009
Is it the feel-bad movie of the year? Although it's disguised as a Valentine's Day chick flick, and the advertising tries to convince guys that it isn't filled exclusively with mushy stuff, it's certainly not fun-loving. Exposing, analyzing and patronizing complex relationships, He's Just Not That Into You is a startlingly relatable film that alternates between reasonably entertaining and "drudging up bad memories." It's more sophisticated than you might think and the humor, which is fairly consistent, doesn't resort to raunchiness. The dating crowd will want to take note, however, that this isn't the type of movie you want to watch with your significant other, as you'll both probably leave feeling guilty, paranoid, overly inquisitive, or all three.

The film follows several relationships, each one originally independent of the other, until they all seem to collide at the conclusion. Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin) assumes the stereotype of the pathetic, desperate girl, who obsessively waits for her many dates to call her back. She resorts to begging, stalking, and other degrading acts to win the attentions of multiple guys, each one shrugging her off. Alex (Justin Long), a friendly and experienced bar manager, steps in to give Gigi a few pointers on her depressing failure with the opposite sex. Relying too heavily on his advice and his playful concern, she starts to think Alex is interested in her, leading to even more angst. Their story is the most interesting, considering Alex's often eye-opening advice and the humor in Gigi's failings.

Ben (Bradley Cooper) was rushed into marriage with his wife Janine (Jennifer Connelly) and resultantly falls for the sensual flirtations of Anna (Scarlett Johansson). After a quick seduction, Ben realizes he's destroying the relationship with his wife, but Anna is fixed on the idea that Ben could be her true love. Meanwhile, Conor (Kevin Connolly) is wondering why Anna, who is his current girlfriend, won't sleep with him. This section of the film is the most serious, with tragic and emotional twists at every turn.

Neil (Ben Affleck) and Beth (Jennifer Aniston) have been happily in love for seven years, but when her younger sister announces wedding plans, Beth begins to question why she hasn't been proposed to. Neil doesn't believe in marriage, but Beth feels it's a necessity - leading to doubts, heartbreak and the most unlikely segment of the film.

There are an additional few love stories thrown in, each involving several of the characters from the major three plot lines. Perhaps the most inspiring piece of He's Just Not That Into You is the storytelling approach, which carefully intertwines almost every single character - by the end of the film, it's really just one complex story. The problem is that a series of serious relationships that are falling apart, getting glued back together, or never having a chance to develop, is occasionally not varied enough to keep audiences amused.

The large and recognizable cast is delightful to see, introducing a new familiar face every ten minutes, and the humor is universal and doesn't resort to cheap yucks. The film puts on display every single stereotype, mold, rule, exception, and dilemma of relationships; some are predictable while others are surprising, but the whole spectrum is present. Told chiefly from a woman's perspective (guys are terrible and dishonest most of the time, although at certain points the men get their more unbiased viewpoint portrayed) He's Just Not That Into You is likely to rub a great many people the wrong way. It's not a date movie by any means, but it's also not as unintelligent as it appears.

• Mike Massie
40 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
light entertainment with a serious twist
dks-1815 March 2009
This comes across as an unambitious film, the "B-production" sort of thing which ends up on DVD as soon as possible, giving some light practice to the star-studded cast between more serious projects. Having said that, it is a very well turned-out production, and the actors are obviously enjoying the roles, which heap one cliché upon another until the result gets a quality of its own. This is, I think, the way to go with clichés: avoid them if you have a point, but if the clichés are the point, go in all the way, and add more on top. Now in romantic comedy, the idea is that everything turns out well at the end, and no serious harm is done on the way. This is where this film is a cut above the genre, namely one particular character really gets hurt, and for a subtle and true-to-life reason: he lies one time too much. Romantic comedy is all about inner growth and coming to terms with oneself, so it gives a refreshing if somewhat bitter tang to the film to see, for once, what happens when one really cannot do that, including the collateral damage to others.

Scarlett Johansson is cleverly cast, superficially the "other woman" and home-wrecker, her spontaneity ends up setting a serious moral standard. I was sorry to see Jennifer Connelly in yet another role of over-strained and somewhat manipulative wife - this sort of typecasting is not bringing out the best in her, in my view, though I can see why they want her that way. Finally, Kris Kristofferson and Jennifer Aniston as father and daughter - I seem to note some faint resemblance between the latter and the young Sarah Miles. Was something going on at the back of the casting director's mind, or is it just me?
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marriages, Relationships and Affairs
Claudio Carvalho16 May 2009
The needy Gigi Haim (Ginnifer Goodwin) is an young woman seeking her prince charming in unsuccessful dates. After dating the real estate agent Conor Barry (Kevin Connolly), Gigi anxiously expects to receive a phone call from him. However Conor never calls her and she goes to the bar where he uses to go expecting to see him, but she meets his friend Alex (Justin Long) that works in the place. They become friends and Alex helps Gigi to interpret the subtle signs of the men.

The aspirant singer Anna Taylor (Scarlet Johansson), who dated Conor, meets Ben Gunders (Bradley Cooper) in a supermarket and they begin a conversation, and Ben offers to help Anna in her career. Later Ben has a love affair with Anna, and his marriage with Janine Gunders (Jennifer Connelly) comes to an end.

Beth Bartlett (Jennifer Aniston) lives with Neil Jones (Ben Affleck), who does not believe in marriage as an institution. When Beth's sister informs that she will get married, Beth pushes Neil to marry her affecting their relationship.

"He's Just Not That Into You" is a delightful movie about marriages, relationships and affairs. The entwined story with many characters is supported by a realistic screenplay and a magnificent cast. I saw this movie in a flight and I have really appreciated. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): Not Available
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.